Oroville Dam to blow in next hour

slipdog
2/14/2017 11:33am
Skidaddle wrote:
Yah, its a shame they haven't built more reservoirs and increased dams to hold more water. However, Folsom Lake above is still only at 44% full...
Yah, its a shame they haven't built more reservoirs and increased dams to hold more water.

However, Folsom Lake above is still only at 44% full, up from 25. Its fed by alot of snow melt where 1/3 of our water comes from.

Oroville during drought.

Dude, I live 5 miles from Folsom lake. It's 100% capacity with 6 gates wide open flooding Lake Natoma which has all gates wide open flooding the American river. Your picture above is bullshit...
slipdog
2/14/2017 11:35am Edited Date/Time 2/14/2017 11:36am
It hasn't gotten better in the last few weeks either.

Ted722
2/14/2017 11:37am Edited Date/Time 2/14/2017 5:02pm
Gov. Jerry Brown's Dad (former Ca. Gov. himself) spearheaded the California Water Project which Oroville was a key component. Interesting his take on Peripheral Canal 30 years ago.
http://articles.latimes.com/1987-02-07/local/me-1505_1_peripheral-canal…

Oroville Dam construction and the dedication by Ronald Reagan @ 4:47

Skidaddle
2/14/2017 11:58am Edited Date/Time 2/14/2017 12:11pm
slipdog wrote:
Dude, I live 5 miles from Folsom lake. It's 100% capacity with 6 gates wide open flooding Lake Natoma which has all gates wide open flooding...
Dude, I live 5 miles from Folsom lake. It's 100% capacity with 6 gates wide open flooding Lake Natoma which has all gates wide open flooding the American river. Your picture above is bullshit...
Actually you're very wrong.
The post clearly stated the picture as "Oroville During drought."

Feb 1, 48% and releasing water. Currenty in the 60s.

http://www.abc10.com/news/local/verify/verifying-water-release-at-folso…

The Bureau of Reclamation likes to keep capacity at 60 percent, but only during flood season.

Before a storm, the Sacramento Area Flood Control Agency requests that the lake level is reduced to around 40 percent so water doesn’t fill the levy system.

Sacramento has a lot of water right now, and its Folsom Lake's job to hold back water. Right now, a small amount of water is being slowly released to reduce the lake capacity to 40 percent. The hope is that the storm waters will bring it right back up again.

The Shop

Titan1
2/14/2017 3:58pm
Its to bad the greenies wouldn't let CA build more reservoirs (gotta protect htat weed, or that bug or that frog)...now rather than capturing all this water for a later date (and they'll need it)...it's all running out to the ocean...what a waste...greenies suck.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
2/14/2017 4:48pm
At the end of the day, I hope all are safe.
APLMAN99
2/14/2017 10:50pm
Titan1 wrote:
Its to bad the greenies wouldn't let CA build more reservoirs (gotta protect htat weed, or that bug or that frog)...now rather than capturing all this...
Its to bad the greenies wouldn't let CA build more reservoirs (gotta protect htat weed, or that bug or that frog)...now rather than capturing all this water for a later date (and they'll need it)...it's all running out to the ocean...what a waste...greenies suck.
We deal with this stuff all the time and it's a definite balancing act. Building reservoirs sounds easy, but that means diverting water in a dry year from an already depleted river. By the time that river reaches the ocean, it's a trickle. Unfortunately, having only a trickle of water reaching the sea changes the cycles that occur there, too. I have been a proponent of a couple of proposed new reservoirs up in this area (chiefly the Black Rock Reservoir just NE of Yakima) and opponents of others that didn't seem to take into account the changes in the ecosystem (elk migration, etc.). The tough part is when you get to the point that you aren't going to be able to fill those reservoirs without completely altering the plans of the users downstream. The river I live on has a total of 14 dams on it, 11 American, 3 Canadian. Diverting water from either of the river reservoirs into other "holding" reservoirs, affects every single one of the dams downstream in some way.

Right now I'm dealing with some water access issues for some of my farm labor housing. I have to do an assessment to determine the impact of instream flows of the Columbia River, which is about 3/4 of a mile away from my prospective well site.

At first I was a bit miffed, but after talking to our county folks and seeing the total number of well applications and building permits requested in our county alone, it starts to make a little bit of sense.

We just had a court rule against one of our counties here concerning their lack of requirement for assessing the effect of water usage by "exempt" (5K gallon a day) rural wells on stream flows in nearby waterways. We're kind of sitting on pins and needles right now wondering if our policies would pass muster and a big part of me wants to hurry up and get my well drilled and building permits issued before my county gets cold feet. But overall, I do actually understand why the courts ruled the way they did in blocking these "exempt" wells that were able to go forward without any regulation other than just water quality to the end user. Water is such a precious resource that not viewing our access and availability as a large system is just being shortsighted. (Exempt meant/means that you didn't have to jump through a whole bunch of hoops to prove where your water source was coming from, table, etc. you simply had to show potable, quality water to get a building permit as long as you pumped no more than 5K gallons a day). (One of) My current project(s) is putting some higher qualify farm labor housing on about 2.5 acres. I'm looking to put 4 3BR/2.5BA 16-1800 sq. ft. homes on it with a shared field so that it develops a "community" feel to it.

Then, of course, add in the mitigation efforts required to salvage at least some of the ecosystem of the original river, especially that part that requires water to be spilled/flowed (for fish!) at times when no electrical generation is needed, and the variables just continue to pile up.
AZ35
Fantasy
544th
2/20/2017 3:56pm
Have not seen anything recently on the news, sounds like they got the lake levels down enough to fix the spillway?

Looks like another soaker of a storm is pretty much parked over this whole region, anyone building an ark yet?

Crazy how much rain California has seen the last few months. Good for the drought but bad for the flooding.
Lightning78
2/20/2017 5:56pm
leighracer wrote:
You would think that with 5 years of drought they the State would have had plenty of time to maintain the infrastructure. Gotta love the Governor...
You would think that with 5 years of drought they the State would have had plenty of time to maintain the infrastructure. Gotta love the Governor taking the time to shame us into taking shorter showers instead of planning for the inevitable rain. Ortega Highway is shut down right now because it wasn't maintained well enough for the rain in SoCal and the 30 000 odd commuters who use it everyday are screwed. Sacramento doesn't care, the only time they want to hear from us is on tax day.
Man that is a spot on explanation I couldn't of said it better myself and it is damn near infuriating that all we hear about is this god awful drought were in an all come right save us big rain we get it all back in a matter of a winter season leapfrog right out of the drought for knowing that we were going to get a shit ton of rain everybody knew that goes for Sacramento And what did they do to prepare for it? Nothing ..... what did they do to prevent any heavy damage? Nothing .......and what did they do to take advantage of the situation to save the water to keep us out of the fucking drought? Absolutely nothing!! To me it is damn near criminal the way Sacramento's behaved in light of knowing this impending storm of doom and the ones preceding it have come in I've done nothing and pretty soon Everest me complaining of a drought again because we wasted all this blessing of water we got.

Rant over ..... sorry i cant even begin to describe the level of frustration i have with this situation and with that said i do hope everyone makes it out safe and the spillway holds up. That marysville and e street track areas get flodded bad at least once every 10 years i believe so its nothing completely new to most people up there. I grew up in a microscopic farming town just east (enough) from Stockton in a town called Linden and if you blinked going through it you definitely missed it lol and have seen this stuff happen a few times before i moved down to socal in 2001. Loved riding marysville AND e street mx.
MXR
2/20/2017 9:08pm
There would be more water for everybody if people stopped having so many fucking kids .
JM485
2/20/2017 9:44pm
leighracer wrote:
You would think that with 5 years of drought they the State would have had plenty of time to maintain the infrastructure. Gotta love the Governor...
You would think that with 5 years of drought they the State would have had plenty of time to maintain the infrastructure. Gotta love the Governor taking the time to shame us into taking shorter showers instead of planning for the inevitable rain. Ortega Highway is shut down right now because it wasn't maintained well enough for the rain in SoCal and the 30 000 odd commuters who use it everyday are screwed. Sacramento doesn't care, the only time they want to hear from us is on tax day.
Man that is a spot on explanation I couldn't of said it better myself and it is damn near infuriating that all we hear about is...
Man that is a spot on explanation I couldn't of said it better myself and it is damn near infuriating that all we hear about is this god awful drought were in an all come right save us big rain we get it all back in a matter of a winter season leapfrog right out of the drought for knowing that we were going to get a shit ton of rain everybody knew that goes for Sacramento And what did they do to prepare for it? Nothing ..... what did they do to prevent any heavy damage? Nothing .......and what did they do to take advantage of the situation to save the water to keep us out of the fucking drought? Absolutely nothing!! To me it is damn near criminal the way Sacramento's behaved in light of knowing this impending storm of doom and the ones preceding it have come in I've done nothing and pretty soon Everest me complaining of a drought again because we wasted all this blessing of water we got.

Rant over ..... sorry i cant even begin to describe the level of frustration i have with this situation and with that said i do hope everyone makes it out safe and the spillway holds up. That marysville and e street track areas get flodded bad at least once every 10 years i believe so its nothing completely new to most people up there. I grew up in a microscopic farming town just east (enough) from Stockton in a town called Linden and if you blinked going through it you definitely missed it lol and have seen this stuff happen a few times before i moved down to socal in 2001. Loved riding marysville AND e street mx.
I saw on the news tonight Brown and a few other jackoffs had the nerve to tell us all that our infrastructure and roads are failing and are not up to par. Really, no shit?! These ass holes tax the living hell out of us and blow it all, then they have the nerve to say we need another gas tax higher than what we already have!!! How about we scrap that stupid bullet train project and focus on repairing what we already have since it's falling apart, I swear when you mishandle the state's money as bad as these idiots do there should be criminal consequences, nobody should be getting off free. They really have it all figured out, so many people are dependent on government handouts now that they wouldn't dare vote them out, and now we're paying the price as they continue to take advantage of us, it just makes me sick to my stomach. I don't care what party is in charge, mishandling money and circumventing legal methods is just not okay, nobody should be able to get away with what these people pull off.
2/21/2017 4:23am
MXR wrote:
There would be more water for everybody if people stopped having so many fucking kids .
Bullshit bro, people should instal water well's at their own property to store rainwater and use that to flush toilets, wash , shower etc. With a decent filter you can use rain water for pretty much anything except for food, with a high end filter you have better water than you can buy bottled. Blaming it on the amount of kids is ridiculous, you have a carwash if i'm not mistaking what about that should we ban those in order to preserve water?
Skidaddle
2/21/2017 12:16pm
The normal spillway is having more water go off the side toward the damn than down the spillway. They say alot of the emergency spillway is filled up which eroded down to bedrock in alot of areas.

Luckily the snow level is somewhat low, but not really IMO. 40 some inches in areas but alot of the precip has gone more south.
newmann
2/21/2017 12:26pm
MXR wrote:
Hey man, don't be talking about the immigrants and welfare recipients like that.
newmann
2/21/2017 12:28pm
MXR wrote:
Moens_Andy wrote:
Bullshit bro, people should instal water well's at their own property to store rainwater and use that to flush toilets, wash , shower etc. With a...
Bullshit bro, people should instal water well's at their own property to store rainwater and use that to flush toilets, wash , shower etc. With a decent filter you can use rain water for pretty much anything except for food, with a high end filter you have better water than you can buy bottled. Blaming it on the amount of kids is ridiculous, you have a carwash if i'm not mistaking what about that should we ban those in order to preserve water?
Andy, hoarding water in Ca. is probably a criminal offense.
2/21/2017 1:02pm
newmann wrote:
Don't know if you're serious or not but if serious why would that be a criminal offence?
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
2/21/2017 1:08pm
newmann wrote:
Moens_Andy wrote:
Don't know if you're serious or not but if serious why would that be a criminal offence?
It was against the law in Colorado to have rain barrels to collect rain water until just recently. The way they looked at it is the city or state own the run off rain water not the home owner. Blush

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/05/colorado-household-rain-barrel-law…
JRT812
2/21/2017 1:08pm
newmann wrote:
Moens_Andy wrote:
Because Ca is nuts and would do something like that
newmann
2/21/2017 1:15pm
newmann wrote:
Moens_Andy wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
It was against the law in Colorado to have rain barrels to collect rain water until just recently. The way they looked at it is the...
It was against the law in Colorado to have rain barrels to collect rain water until just recently. The way they looked at it is the city or state own the run off rain water not the home owner. Blush

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/05/colorado-household-rain-barrel-law…
Here in Southeast Texas where it rains 100 inches a year the local gubmint was wanting to charge businesses a rainwater runoff tax for water that ran off buildings and parking lots into the drainage system. The local shopping mall was going to get popped for $420,000.00 per year! Lots of screaming got that killed pretty quick.
2/21/2017 3:02pm
Wow i seriously did not realise that something like that could actually be a law.
What about people who decide to have a waterhole drilled in order to obtain a steady water supply on their own dime? Is that something that is regulated or is this looked as crime also?
2/21/2017 3:13pm
newmann wrote:
Here in Southeast Texas where it rains 100 inches a year the local gubmint was wanting to charge businesses a rainwater runoff tax for water that...
Here in Southeast Texas where it rains 100 inches a year the local gubmint was wanting to charge businesses a rainwater runoff tax for water that ran off buildings and parking lots into the drainage system. The local shopping mall was going to get popped for $420,000.00 per year! Lots of screaming got that killed pretty quick.
I seem to vaguely remember you lived close to the Beaumont area if i'm not mistaken which puts you about 25miles of the sea is water shortage really a thing in you're area? I know i might sound stupid but it seems that being that short of a distance of the shore it would seem a little overboard for that rule to really have it in place.
Skidaddle
2/21/2017 4:37pm
newmann wrote:
Here in Southeast Texas where it rains 100 inches a year the local gubmint was wanting to charge businesses a rainwater runoff tax for water that...
Moens_Andy wrote:
I seem to vaguely remember you lived close to the Beaumont area if i'm not mistaken which puts you about 25miles of the sea is water...
I seem to vaguely remember you lived close to the Beaumont area if i'm not mistaken which puts you about 25miles of the sea is water shortage really a thing in you're area? I know i might sound stupid but it seems that being that short of a distance of the shore it would seem a little overboard for that rule to really have it in place.
Not for Texas usually, but if you take So Cal for example, the average rainfall is like 12 inches per year.

Most is irrigated from Nor Cal reservoirs, Colorado river etc. Its really just an irrigated desert except for the Sierras and the Northern and Coastal areas.
APLMAN99
2/21/2017 9:15pm Edited Date/Time 2/21/2017 9:17pm
newmann wrote:
Moens_Andy wrote:
I seem to vaguely remember you lived close to the Beaumont area if i'm not mistaken which puts you about 25miles of the sea is water...
Seawater isn't potable, nor is it going to do well for irrigation.......

The cost of desalinization is pretty high compared to piping it in, or even trucking it, etc.

Stormwater drainage can wreck local tidelands pretty easily. Hard to decide who pays for the cost or rerouting all that water that will no longer soak into the ground, fill aquifers, etc., I guess.

Post a reply to: Oroville Dam to blow in next hour

The Latest