Order of the motos is really backwards.

kevin204
Fantasy
2870th
Edited Date/Time 3/4/2013 6:46pm
I understand it's for TV and stuff, but I really think the motos should be reversed. Run the WMA, 250 and then 450s. The ladies get to race on a smoother track, that ought to increase the speed they run and get some other girls into the picture at the front. Not to mention, the track shouldn't be a freeway when the premiere class takes to the track.
|
redalert144
Fantasy
3087th
6/25/2011 2:10pm
450 before 250 is fine but I do think the women should go 1st, they're 2nd moto has to be brutal!
SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
6/25/2011 2:20pm
I agree. It's odd to run the premiere class as the opening act.

I give them credit for trying new things, but it's time to change it back.
Taylor156
6/25/2011 2:33pm
Show 2nd motos so we all know the over alls

The Shop

burnside
6/25/2011 3:32pm
I don't care about the womens racing at all (sorry just being honest here).. but I think 250's should go first. It kind of muddles up which one is the PREMIERE class... traditionally, in any show, the good stuff always comes last.
DC
6/25/2011 3:52pm
We run the 450s first because many of the 450 riders asked for slightly smoother tracks; the 250 riders wanted rougher tracks.... They are ALL rough now, but the riders like this.

Also, the crowd tends to leave at the start of the last moto, and since the 450 is the premier class (at least most of the stars are their outdoors) they get to run in front of the most people. There were times two years ago on NBC (including Red Bud) where the crowd look terrible, because everyone had left.

This may make for a rougher track for the girls, but there's a big picture and a lot going on with these decisions, and all of the teams and many riders were in on the concept and, like Saturdays, I think it's worked out very well for the vast majority.

DC
MX Sports
DC
6/25/2011 3:53pm
Eventually, they will all be live, hopefully starting next year. That's been the aim all along, and we're getting close to the goal, quickly.

DC
MX Sports
jamma10
6/25/2011 3:56pm
DC wrote:
We run the 450s first because many of the 450 riders asked for slightly smoother tracks; the 250 riders wanted rougher tracks.... They are ALL rough...
We run the 450s first because many of the 450 riders asked for slightly smoother tracks; the 250 riders wanted rougher tracks.... They are ALL rough now, but the riders like this.

Also, the crowd tends to leave at the start of the last moto, and since the 450 is the premier class (at least most of the stars are their outdoors) they get to run in front of the most people. There were times two years ago on NBC (including Red Bud) where the crowd look terrible, because everyone had left.

This may make for a rougher track for the girls, but there's a big picture and a lot going on with these decisions, and all of the teams and many riders were in on the concept and, like Saturdays, I think it's worked out very well for the vast majority.

DC
MX Sports
'the crowd tends to leave at the start of the last moto'

Really???!!
DC
6/25/2011 3:59pm
After the start, yes, especially so when a certain Ricky Carmichael was racing.

DC
MX Sports
`ol Ger
6/25/2011 4:00pm
I agree. The old format and the day was much better.
SteveS
6/25/2011 4:00pm
I really can't see how they'd be doing that now.
kongols
6/25/2011 4:02pm
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports
With 87% win percentage , I don`t blame them. WhistlingWinkCool
jamma10
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports
Never heard of him... Smile

To be honest its not unheard of over here either, it used to be 10-15 mins before the end of the racing but I've noticed it getting earlier and earlier. Seems people are more concerned about getting home than getting their moneys worth, don't understand it myself, especially at a GP/National.
426Hemi
Fantasy
2757th
DC wrote:
We run the 450s first because many of the 450 riders asked for slightly smoother tracks; the 250 riders wanted rougher tracks.... They are ALL rough...

DC
MX Sports
jamma10 wrote:
'the crowd tends to leave at the start of the last moto'

Really???!!
Quite common, especially once they saw RC or James take the lead and run away.

Keep up the good work DC and I hope both motos live next year comes true, that would be great.
`ol Ger
6/25/2011 4:11pm
In almost every other venue/entertainment/sport they build to a crescendo. There is a good reason for that. Running the best class first only encourages even more people to leave.

It's a bit like having Dire Straits open for a much lesser known group.

g
DC
6/25/2011 4:21pm
If Dire Straits is the band for your crescendo, 'ol Ger, you're never going to understand what we're up against in today's iWorld of immediate/personal entertainment and very short attention spans.....

DC
MX Sports
Mstock
6/25/2011 4:25pm
`ol Ger wrote:
In almost every other venue/entertainment/sport they build to a crescendo. There is a good reason for that. Running the best class first only encourages even more...
In almost every other venue/entertainment/sport they build to a crescendo. There is a good reason for that. Running the best class first only encourages even more people to leave.

It's a bit like having Dire Straits open for a much lesser known group.

g
Who the fuck is Dire Straits?
DC
6/25/2011 4:37pm
Forrmula One's ONE race lasts about an hour. We're looking at a five-hour program and people can and do leave. Trust me, I have been to a few of these SuperMario. And Saturdays seem to be working out pretty well down here in the states.

DC
MX Sports
6/25/2011 4:37pm
DC wrote:
Eventually, they will all be live, hopefully starting next year. That's been the aim all along, and we're getting close to the goal, quickly. DC MX...
Eventually, they will all be live, hopefully starting next year. That's been the aim all along, and we're getting close to the goal, quickly.

DC
MX Sports
gonna go to a supercross format? idk if i can stand to watch that long of a broadcast. mx on tv is boring. and i think nationals in person, ever since the loss of 2 days, with racing qualifiers, is boring.
DC
6/25/2011 4:42pm
Hard to argue with the logic of making it a full day longer, but also not as boring for you on TV.... No, no SX format, no one-moto format. It is what it is.

MX has TWO national classes, so it's two premier classes. One of them is going to have to follow the other, and this works best for both classes, just not everyone gets it -- which is fine. At least it's all online and on TV now, and the crowds are up and the riders are almost all back (nothing I can do about Li'l Hanny and Stewart). That's made the changes seem like steps in the right direction for most fans and enthusiasts....

Either way, we will keep trying.

DC
MX Sports
6/25/2011 4:48pm
Texas was really bad this year. The place was a ghost town by the time the 250f's hit the track for moto 2. If you're one of the people who wake up at 6am and drive from a few hours away to catch practice and get a decent viewing spot by the time moto 2 comes around you're just worn out from the heat and the long day (and drive ahead). There's just to much shit crammed in to one day. Always has been with this format. Why can't you just do timed practice Friday evening to qualify the top 40 and give Saturday morning to the girls first moto and a 15 minute top 40 pole shootout about an hour before the moto's start with womens second moto coming at intermission? I know it makes the riders arrive a half day early (catch a noon flight) but it allows for so much more. It also lets the women do their podium presentations with a pretty solid crowd on hand.
426Hemi
Fantasy
2757th
Change is hard to take for alot of people. But the results of live TV and better coverage are the benefits of the changes. I enjoy the Saturday format, not having to race home Sunday night to get home after spending all day at the track. A nice leisurely drive home Sunday morning is just fine.
Mstock
DC wrote:
Eventually, they will all be live, hopefully starting next year. That's been the aim all along, and we're getting close to the goal, quickly. DC MX...

DC
MX Sports
gonna go to a supercross format? idk if i can stand to watch that long of a broadcast. mx on tv is boring. and i think...
gonna go to a supercross format? idk if i can stand to watch that long of a broadcast. mx on tv is boring. and i think nationals in person, ever since the loss of 2 days, with racing qualifiers, is boring.
MX National weekends live in person is boring? Holy fuck I don't want to even know what you do for "real" excitement? Sky diving on lsd or something?

Driving to michigan on Wednesday. Practice on the Red Bud pro track Thursday. Race the pro track Friday. Race under the lights Friday night. Watch the greatest show on earth Saturday. Race under the lights Saturday night. Race the pro track again on Sunday. Sprinkle in camping, grilling out, hot chics and beers. Yeah super boring weekend.
`ol Ger
6/25/2011 4:51pm
DC wrote:
If Dire Straits is the band for your crescendo, 'ol Ger, you're never going to understand what we're up against in today's iWorld of immediate/personal entertainment...
If Dire Straits is the band for your crescendo, 'ol Ger, you're never going to understand what we're up against in today's iWorld of immediate/personal entertainment and very short attention spans.....

DC
MX Sports
I assumed you understood analogies. Here's another one. Like having U2 open for the neighborhood acappella group.

g
DC
6/25/2011 5:04pm Edited Date/Time 6/25/2011 5:05pm
It was a joke, 'ol Ger. But this ain't a concert. It's like an all-day festival, not an evening show. Sometimes U2 plays in the middle of those, not always the end.

DC
MX Sports
KMC440
6/25/2011 5:13pm
I ALWAYS left after the 4th lap of the last race, will again this year as well. Sorry I want to get home, after 3-4 days of moto even the best of us want our own shower and bed. The Saturday format makes it infinetly better for the pro teams as well as a television package.
SteveS
6/25/2011 5:42pm Edited Date/Time 6/25/2011 5:45pm
DC wrote:
Forrmula One's ONE race lasts about an hour. We're looking at a five-hour program and people can and do leave. Trust me, I have been to...
Forrmula One's ONE race lasts about an hour. We're looking at a five-hour program and people can and do leave. Trust me, I have been to a few of these SuperMario. And Saturdays seem to be working out pretty well down here in the states.

DC
MX Sports
Two hours, but who's counting? And, for example, at the European Grand Prix this weekend, there will be three different races contested on the track. Starting Saturday afternoon after Qualifying is over they have a GP2 and a GP3 race. Then the racing picks up Sunday morning at 9:25 am with another GP3 race, followed by another GP2 at 10:35.
Then they spend two hours presenting drivers, having a parade, and other pageantry until at 2 pm they start the F1 race.
DC
6/25/2011 6:06pm
SteveS, sorry, I don't know much about F1 other than Ayrton Senna was a badass.... But at the end of the day, it's one main F1 race, right? We have four championship motos between two classes (sometimes three with the WMX) and it's spread out throughout a Saturday, starting with 8:30 a.m. practice and ending sometimes close to 6 p.m. It's a longtime for people to stay put, and many don't. Look at the final laps of any moto (and most SX races) and you will see what I mean. So we run the 450 class first because the riders like it better (in both classes) and more fans are there for the second moto. It works for us, but just like the decision to move to Saturdays, it doesn't work for others.

Believe it or not, we think this stuff through and talk to a lot of people before we make such changes. They are not popular with everyone, but that's the beauty of the passion for our sport.

DC
MX Sports
Mikemad
6/25/2011 6:17pm Edited Date/Time 6/25/2011 6:20pm
I think it's great that we have DC on here interacting with the fans. You don't see that much with sports at this level. It says ALOT, at least to me. Been a long time since I have been to national - do they still let you camp out in the parking lots, etc? If not, I can see leaving early after a long day in the summer heat. As soon as they have that national down here in the S.E., I'll be there and staying to the end. But then I also stay till the very end of ATL supercross. Traffic be dammed!

P.S. More WMX - Is there any place to even watch the WMX moto's?

Post a reply to: Order of the motos is really backwards.

The Latest