Opinions and Experience with this 2 stroke oil

Lightning78
Edited Date/Time 3/20/2019 9:32pm
Found this stuff at my local O'Rileys, I googled it and read good things about this Lucas Oil Semi Synthetic 2 stroke oil. Would like to exclusively use this stuff for a couple reasons.
1. Cost - At $9.99 a quart its roughly HALF THE cost of any other premix oil. Typically these days Im seeing Yamalube, Hp-2, and Maxima products going for close to $10 for a single pint! Making this stuff half that cost.
2. Its made by Lucas and they've always had a great reputation with oil.
3. Beach Yamaha (my local dealer) is no more, they are now called "Next Cycles" they are still a Yamaha dealer first and my experience with them thus far has been less than desirable, Steve was great to his customers....these guys ehh not so much. Even though I live 2 blocks away I'm not buying anything from these guys.
|
Lightning78
9/3/2015 4:11pm
And yes I know there has been a thread about this a while back but it was unclear if they were talking about this particular product an I'd like to get some updated feedback on the oil.
9/3/2015 4:30pm Edited Date/Time 9/3/2015 4:31pm
you're going to have 5 pages, and every post is going to be a different oil, with a different mix ratio, in a different fuel. Most will agree on leaded race fuel, you'll probably get the most votes for 927.. but there will be a half dozen Klotz diehards in here talking about their BeNol like it's the ambrosia of the gods. Every KTM guy will say motorex. by page 3, someone will get called a motherfucker.
Lightning78
9/3/2015 4:59pm
you're going to have 5 pages, and every post is going to be a different oil, with a different mix ratio, in a different fuel. Most...
you're going to have 5 pages, and every post is going to be a different oil, with a different mix ratio, in a different fuel. Most will agree on leaded race fuel, you'll probably get the most votes for 927.. but there will be a half dozen Klotz diehards in here talking about their BeNol like it's the ambrosia of the gods. Every KTM guy will say motorex. by page 3, someone will get called a motherfucker.
Haaaaaaahahhahahahahaha! Narrator I see how you came up with your username, how true that is! You officially win the internet for the day as nominate this for post of the year.

The Shop

Lightning78
9/3/2015 5:03pm
All…. In reference to Narrators post I wod ONLY like to hear your thoughts about the performance of THIS oil. Disregard mix ratios I usually use 32:1 sometimes I'll go 40:1 max. Typically I run 91 pump with the occasional 100 octane race fuel mixed in IF I CAN afford it.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
9/3/2015 5:06pm Edited Date/Time 9/3/2015 5:17pm
I like to mix my 927, Klotz, Motorex, Yamalube, and Lucas oils together at a 10:1 ratio. The smell is to die for (fouls plugs like a champ though).

Seriously though, haven't heard a bad word about Lucas products, and for the price, I might think about it.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
9/3/2015 5:06pm
It meets all the requirements (including one for marine use.)
I'd say run it and see if you can tell a difference. (And if it smells good, so much the better!)
JM485
9/3/2015 5:10pm
I have been using it for a couple years now. I run a similar fuel as you also, I mix regular pump 91 with 100 octane AVgas so we have a similar octane mix. I have noticed it is a bit thinner so I generally run a little more oil, in my 125 that would be 40:1 and in my 250 that would be 44:1. I switched from Redline just due to the price, not to mention the convenience of getting it at a local auto parts store. I think you will be happy with it if you give it a try, maybe just consider bumping your ratios up just a bit since the oil is slightly thinner.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
9/3/2015 5:18pm Edited Date/Time 9/3/2015 5:20pm
JM485 wrote:
I have been using it for a couple years now. I run a similar fuel as you also, I mix regular pump 91 with 100 octane...
I have been using it for a couple years now. I run a similar fuel as you also, I mix regular pump 91 with 100 octane AVgas so we have a similar octane mix. I have noticed it is a bit thinner so I generally run a little more oil, in my 125 that would be 40:1 and in my 250 that would be 44:1. I switched from Redline just due to the price, not to mention the convenience of getting it at a local auto parts store. I think you will be happy with it if you give it a try, maybe just consider bumping your ratios up just a bit since the oil is slightly thinner.
44:1? Wow, how often do you do rings and piston?

Edit: Mis-read that.
MXtoXS
9/3/2015 5:38pm
I use this oil as well....no problems in the couple years I been mixing it. I get it at Oreilly's on my way home from work.
nicko-31
9/3/2015 5:58pm
JM485 wrote:
I have been using it for a couple years now. I run a similar fuel as you also, I mix regular pump 91 with 100 octane...
I do the same 50/50 mix of 100LL AV gas and 91 Non Ethanol gas in my 125 with a factory recommended ratio of 30:1 , I do however not use this particular oil though. I use Yamaha Lube R only because engine oil isn't some thing I can afford to skimp on. I am however interested in your over all results though for future reference.
pete24
9/3/2015 6:09pm
good to try the stuff Lucas is putting money into the sport, when i needed truck tires i went to discount tire, although it was the first time i thought about going with a company that advertises in mx if we all did it once it may get these guys to put more money in
500guy
9/3/2015 6:14pm
I hate the smell of 2 stroke exhaust.
Premix
9/3/2015 6:20pm
500guy wrote:
I hate the smell of 2 stroke exhaust.
If you hated krispy kremes as much as you hate two strokes we wouldn't ask you to change your screen name to Type 2 weekly
Premix
9/3/2015 6:22pm
you're going to have 5 pages, and every post is going to be a different oil, with a different mix ratio, in a different fuel. Most...
927 32:1 for 15 odd years, I did have a Klotz affair briefly in the late 90's. Motherfucker.
Lightning78
9/3/2015 6:47pm
Premix wrote:
927 32:1 for 15 odd years, I did have a Klotz affair briefly in the late 90's. Motherfucker.
Boom!
Lightning78
9/3/2015 7:08pm
JM485 wrote:
Thank you r the feedback JM485 and this question may be dumb enough to be the next one called a motherfucker lol but your post perplexed me a little. I do agree with you on the overall viscosity of the soil it does seem thin to thinner than what I used to see in premix oil. Like I mentioned above I almost ALWAYS run at 32:1. Seeing as how the soil is thinner like we both agree and you saying I should bump up the ratio wouldn't I want to go the opposite dirextion and have MORE oil in the gas??? A less viscous fluid would flow through the jets easier or is that the idea and im reading your recommendation bass-ackwards? Really excited to use this stuff anf as someone mentioned above im not "skimping out" om cheaper oil . I thimk premix oil prices have gotten astronomically out of hand, and for what reason? Its the same exact shit they were selling for the last 20+ years its not like there has been rven one penny invested in developing oils by any of their competition and O'rileys business acumen isn't dumb enough to try and sell something thats out of their target customers price ranges. Likewise Lucas isnt a company that makes shitty products… .the beauty of this is that, I can buy this stuff in a million more locations other than a bike shop. Price is good and IMO 2 stroke old SHOULD actually cost.
Lightning78
9/3/2015 7:54pm Edited Date/Time 9/3/2015 7:55pm
Honda hp2 and sunoco 112 leaded @ 40:1
See what you did there, well played Mr. Motherfucker.
Jack_Wagon
9/3/2015 8:28pm
I normally used 927 at 32:1 in my son's KTM 65. I realized one Sunday that I didn't have any oil. I figured the Lucas would suffice. After about an hour of riding the bike blew up. About a year later it was Sunday and I realized I was out of 927. I figured I would try the Lucas again- this time in his RM85. After an hour of riding this bike blew up. Never again.
hillbilly
9/3/2015 9:11pm
I ran some oil in 01 or 02 that a company made that still is around.

It had oxidizers in the oil ,dont know what or how.

You had to go a jet size bigger or more which meant it was indeed oxidized.

Most people dont know what they are doing and didnt rejet. So bikes that were right on the edge jetting wise seized up .

The oil got a bad rep real quick here and it disappeared.

I had been given afew cases and loved the stuff.
JM485
9/3/2015 9:20pm Edited Date/Time 9/3/2015 9:23pm
JM485 wrote:
Thank you r the feedback JM485 and this question may be dumb enough to be the next one called a motherfucker lol but your post perplexed...
Thank you r the feedback JM485 and this question may be dumb enough to be the next one called a motherfucker lol but your post perplexed me a little. I do agree with you on the overall viscosity of the soil it does seem thin to thinner than what I used to see in premix oil. Like I mentioned above I almost ALWAYS run at 32:1. Seeing as how the soil is thinner like we both agree and you saying I should bump up the ratio wouldn't I want to go the opposite dirextion and have MORE oil in the gas??? A less viscous fluid would flow through the jets easier or is that the idea and im reading your recommendation bass-ackwards? Really excited to use this stuff anf as someone mentioned above im not "skimping out" om cheaper oil . I thimk premix oil prices have gotten astronomically out of hand, and for what reason? Its the same exact shit they were selling for the last 20+ years its not like there has been rven one penny invested in developing oils by any of their competition and O'rileys business acumen isn't dumb enough to try and sell something thats out of their target customers price ranges. Likewise Lucas isnt a company that makes shitty products… .the beauty of this is that, I can buy this stuff in a million more locations other than a bike shop. Price is good and IMO 2 stroke old SHOULD actually cost.
I should have been more specific about the ratios, after I re-read what I posted it is a little confusing! What I meant was I mix in just a bit more oil with the Lucas than I would with a thicker oil, such as the redline I switched over from. Essentially, I used to run 50:1 all the time in my 250, but now I mix at 44:1. This is not based off of any actually science and I know little to nothing about the complexities of how the viscosity of the oil effects how it travels through jets and effects jetting, I'm just going completely off of my own intuition that the thinner oil should be mixed a tad richer. If you are already running 32:1 I would say that is fine to stick with, I did that for a while in my 125 but eventually bumped back up to 40:1 just because I thought it was unnecessary. Interestingly enough, my yz250 did not seem happy with a mix of 32:1 and I feel like it runs better at the 44:1 mixture, it cleaned things up on the bottom and seemed like it helped the motor run crisper. I know a lot of guys here swear by 32:1 but in my oppinion it is just too much oil, maybe it was necessary back in the day for older bikes but every top end I pull has plenty of oil on it.

Oh, I forgot to add, don't mix this oil with whatever oil you ran in the past. I tried to get rid of my last bit of gas mixed with redline by topping off with gas mixed with Lucas, bad idea! It ended up separating the oil from the gas and the bike wouldn't run. Keep in mind this was years ago when I was even younger and even dumber so don't chastise me too bad!

Avidchimp: my current 250 is the first two stroke I have put an hour meter on so I don't know exactly how long I have gone on top ends in the past. If I had to guess it would be somewhere around 25-30 hours which is when I plan to tear down my YZ, so I don't do them more often due to the leaner oil mixture. To be fair though, I'm not a guy who generally tacs out a bike and revs the piss out of it, I prefer the lower rpm ranges just due to the lighter feeling of the bike and smoother suspension action at these ranges. My dad always swears by 50:1 in everything but if someone is a Barcia type rev machine I don't think a little more oil would hurt anything.

Oh ya, you're both motherfuckers!Laughing
9/4/2015 7:07am Edited Date/Time 9/4/2015 7:09am
I know a guy runs Quaker stake in the gas tank and motor. I don't. But it's real cheap for him and he's always riding.

I just stick with yamalube. I get it for around $9 a quart. Where is it $10 a pint ???
BMR179
Fantasy
1263rd
9/4/2015 7:15am
Use whatever 2 stroke oil you want for whatever reason ($, brand, synthetic, castor, etc.). Mix at 32:1 and jet the carb accordingly. No worries.

IWreckALot
9/4/2015 7:34am
Glad this thread came up. I've been running bel ray synthetic with ester or whatever it's called. I haven't had any problems but it's some expensive shit and not really readily available. I've been looking at the Lucas Oil lately at Oreilley and thinking it would be nice to get it closer to home. The shop I've been going to has royally pissed me off but it's the only place I know I can pick up a quart locally. I might have to run through my current stock of gas and make the switch. . .

Should I replace the top end when I do this or just run all the gas out and then start with a full tank?
IceMan446
9/4/2015 8:54am Edited Date/Time 9/4/2015 8:58am
If you are paying 10 bucks for Yamalube 2R pint, you were getting absolutely hosed.

You can look on the Yamaha website and its 9 bucks for a quart.

*edit*

I have used Torco GP-7 and that is pretty damn similar to Yamalube 2R. 16 OZ to a fiver of gas and run it.

dcg141
9/4/2015 9:00am Edited Date/Time 9/4/2015 9:00am
Low ash 2 stroke oil is used mostly for air cooled engines..for example trimmers and chain saws.
Lightning78
9/4/2015 10:29am
IceMan446 wrote:
If you are paying 10 bucks for Yamalube 2R pint, you were getting absolutely hosed. You can look on the Yamaha website and its 9 bucks...
If you are paying 10 bucks for Yamalube 2R pint, you were getting absolutely hosed.

You can look on the Yamaha website and its 9 bucks for a quart.

*edit*

I have used Torco GP-7 and that is pretty damn similar to Yamalube 2R. 16 OZ to a fiver of gas and run it.

Yea BRO its like $7.95 or $8.95 at my "Local Dealer"....god bless the local dealer we must support them lmao! After sales tax its close enough to cll it an even $10.00 and if im not mistaken the Yamalube 2R quarts are getting close to $15 a bottle. Shit ain't cheap around these parts.
nicko-31
9/4/2015 12:32pm
Yea BRO its like $7.95 or $8.95 at my "Local Dealer"....god bless the local dealer we must support them lmao! After sales tax its close enough...
Yea BRO its like $7.95 or $8.95 at my "Local Dealer"....god bless the local dealer we must support them lmao! After sales tax its close enough to cll it an even $10.00 and if im not mistaken the Yamalube 2R quarts are getting close to $15 a bottle. Shit ain't cheap around these parts.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/934/2925/Yamalube-2-R?term=yamalube Local bike shop is 9.99 for 16oz.plus 8% tax. Not cheap.

Post a reply to: Opinions and Experience with this 2 stroke oil

The Latest