Open the parking lot to pit bikes and beer

trailrider
I remember the years when there was a tail gating culture at Anaheim. The best part of the event was the parking lot. Guys would bring toy haulers, pit bikes, it seemed a bit wild.
|
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
1/17/2017 7:20pm
I will say this is why a lot of people gave up on the Anaheim rounds and just did San Diego. Then that went away. They don't attend anymore.

A big part of justifying the cost of tickets for large groups was the ability to make it a true yearly get together with other friends and families. Kind of a one day vacation wrapped around a common sports interest.
davistld01
1/17/2017 7:25pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2017 7:25pm
Insurance is high these days for Feld & the stadium owners. Too many REALLY crazy people & too much crazy shit going on in the world today.
trailrider
1/17/2017 7:34pm
avidchimp wrote:
I will say this is why a lot of people gave up on the Anaheim rounds and just did San Diego. Then that went away. They...
I will say this is why a lot of people gave up on the Anaheim rounds and just did San Diego. Then that went away. They don't attend anymore.

A big part of justifying the cost of tickets for large groups was the ability to make it a true yearly get together with other friends and families. Kind of a one day vacation wrapped around a common sports interest.
Exactly what I'm talking about. There has to be another reason for fans to show up other than just watching the race.
hillbilly
1/17/2017 7:37pm
You all get way to many races for the amount of spectators that turn out.

The Shop

mx836
1/17/2017 7:40pm
hillbilly wrote:
Agreed. There are plenty of other locations that would draw a bigger crowd.
trailrider
1/17/2017 7:40pm
hillbilly wrote:
Hillbilly they cut A3...if u did not hear
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
1/17/2017 7:43pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2017 7:45pm
davistld01 wrote:
Insurance is high these days for Feld & the stadium owners. Too many [b]REALLY[/b] crazy people & too much crazy shit going on in the world...
Insurance is high these days for Feld & the stadium owners. Too many REALLY crazy people & too much crazy shit going on in the world today.
For the record, I'm fine with losing the idiots racing around on pit bikes and other motor powered vehicles. But people wanting to bbq and have a well behaved time should be punished?

This sport was founded on the experience of spending a day at the races, be it Indian Dunes or the Anaheim SX with friend's and family. That meant bbq's, adult beverages, and a great time watching that day/nights racing. Not 10 hours in a concrete bowl with highly overpriced amenities and cheap plastic seats. Dry
ferg722
1/17/2017 7:58pm
Damn, what's holding you back from rolling a spliff and launching a z50 off that corn hole table in the parking lot?

But really, you've made a valid point.. Being from Pittsburgh with mass urban cowboys - anytime a country concert comes into town, people flock by the thousands and fill parking lots @8AM to chug beer all day before stumbling into the stadium.. And If it wasn't for that, no way the scene would be as big as it is now..
AbouttheRide
Fantasy
2914th
1/17/2017 7:58pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2017 7:59pm
Although I agree we should be able to enjoy an adult beverage or two this is not something Feld does. The same rules apply at Angel games as the parking lot is controlled by the city and not the stadium. We can thank the mouse for that move when they owned the team. The rules changed once Disney took over the stadium and signed a long term lease on the parking lot with the city. It's essentially drinking in public now.
mx836
1/17/2017 7:59pm
avidchimp wrote:
For the record, I'm fine with losing the idiots racing around on pit bikes and other motor powered vehicles. But people wanting to bbq and have...
For the record, I'm fine with losing the idiots racing around on pit bikes and other motor powered vehicles. But people wanting to bbq and have a well behaved time should be punished?

This sport was founded on the experience of spending a day at the races, be it Indian Dunes or the Anaheim SX with friend's and family. That meant bbq's, adult beverages, and a great time watching that day/nights racing. Not 10 hours in a concrete bowl with highly overpriced amenities and cheap plastic seats. Dry
Sounds like the Nationals are what you are after. I do agree, it's pretty lame that you can't tailgate, but like all good things, a few ruin it for all.-
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
1/17/2017 8:11pm
Although I agree we should be able to enjoy an adult beverage or two this is not something Feld does. The same rules apply at Angel...
Although I agree we should be able to enjoy an adult beverage or two this is not something Feld does. The same rules apply at Angel games as the parking lot is controlled by the city and not the stadium. We can thank the mouse for that move when they owned the team. The rules changed once Disney took over the stadium and signed a long term lease on the parking lot with the city. It's essentially drinking in public now.
This is fact, but there is no denying it has really impacted attendance since the ban.
DFWracefan
1/17/2017 8:19pm
Go to ANY NASCAR race and listen to the medical scanner traffic. You can not believe the number of "fan"/spectator medical events. Falling off golf carts, off truck tail gates, the top of motorhomes, bicycle accidents.....alcohol poisonings.....etc. I know someone that works some of these events and medics are just as busy there as they are the hospital. It is crazy to say the least.
mx836
1/17/2017 8:26pm
There is a Facebook page that posts all the scanner talk at Packer games. You wouldn't believe the shit those drunken redneck fools were doing at the Brad Paisley concert at Lambeau Field. Positive take-away from the day being that most of the tools in town were at that concert making for a nice day for me.

JM485
1/17/2017 8:31pm
I remember San Fran was off the hook in the parking lot! I totally agree, the whole day is an experience for me and always has been growing up, but Oakland seems a little tighter on security now. I remember when they used to let us park inside the big warehouses over by the water in San Francisco and we would pretty much have a miniature skate park worth of ramps and rails set up for bikes, skateboards, scooters, you name it! There were always dudes ripping by on pitbikes and tearing it up doing wheelies. That's why I get worried when everyone says we need to "grow", I feel like we're losing some of the fun that used to go down that I guess technically shouldn't be "acceptable". When things are small you kind of get to slip under the radar a bit. I'll never forget those times for as long as I'm alive, that's for sure, and I though it was awesome to see everyone kind of just let loose and see what happened!

There's still plenty of drunken entertainment in the parking lot, but I just feel like it doesn't have the same vibe it did when I was a little kid.
Brent
1/17/2017 8:48pm
trailrider wrote:
I remember the years when there was a tail gating culture at Anaheim. The best part of the event was the parking lot. Guys would bring...
I remember the years when there was a tail gating culture at Anaheim. The best part of the event was the parking lot. Guys would bring toy haulers, pit bikes, it seemed a bit wild.
People are crazier now and less mindful of other people than they used to be.

Extreme behavior is one thing, but some of these drunken El Cajon assholes seem to be on a mission to get arrested nowadays.
hillbilly
1/17/2017 8:58pm
hillbilly wrote:
trailrider wrote:
Hillbilly they cut A3...if u did not hear
That's a start,now cut a2,Oakland and SD . Move them to stadiums elsewhere with a roof,seems to be plenty of them.
BobPA
1/17/2017 9:04pm
Brent wrote:
People are crazier now and less mindful of other people than they used to be. Extreme behavior is one thing, but some of these drunken El...

Extreme behavior is one thing, but some of these drunken El Cajon assholes seem to be on a mission to get arrested nowadays.
Tell that to the Dilla fans of yesteryear about people being crazy. I've also heard some pretty wild stories from Watkins Glen.

Thank the lawyers, no you can sue for anything...even if it is your fault...
trailrider
1/17/2017 9:12pm
trailrider wrote:
I remember the years when there was a tail gating culture at Anaheim. The best part of the event was the parking lot. Guys would bring...
Brent wrote:
People are crazier now and less mindful of other people than they used to be. Extreme behavior is one thing, but some of these drunken El...

RJ, Glover, Dogger, Craig, Regis, Tripes and Smith just took their shirts off.
THEOUTSIDER
1/17/2017 9:55pm
Crap got way outta hand. Dudes flying around the parking lot on pit bikes crashing into stuff after the races. Fires being set under peoples cars. It was time for it to go.
1/17/2017 10:57pm
Although I agree we should be able to enjoy an adult beverage or two this is not something Feld does. The same rules apply at Angel...
from my perspective, this is spot on.

Back in early 2000's we used to bring the big motorhome and a couple of toyhaulers and it was like desert camping but at SX. Having a rig to relax in during the downtime after practice ends and the main program begins was great. The pit scene was fun, there was something for everyone, including dumbshits that brought all of the wrong kind of attention...but it was mostly good fun from what I recall.

Besides, where else are you going to see 2 or 3 half-naked girls dancing on a stripper pole in the back of a Chevy with 44" tires and a Confederate flag?

Doug
1/18/2017 4:45am
Given the timeframe of the downfall of tailgating at SX... I think this thread is only perhaps 1 post away from being a 2T vs 4T argument....
pmshortt2
1/18/2017 5:02am
Given the timeframe of the downfall of tailgating at SX... I think this thread is only perhaps 1 post away from being a 2T vs 4T...
Given the timeframe of the downfall of tailgating at SX... I think this thread is only perhaps 1 post away from being a 2T vs 4T argument....
No it's about to turn into a JS7 threadGrinning
hillbilly
1/18/2017 5:14am
DFWracefan wrote:
Go to ANY NASCAR race and listen to the medical scanner traffic. You can not believe the number of "fan"/spectator medical events. Falling off golf carts...
Go to ANY NASCAR race and listen to the medical scanner traffic. You can not believe the number of "fan"/spectator medical events. Falling off golf carts, off truck tail gates, the top of motorhomes, bicycle accidents.....alcohol poisonings.....etc. I know someone that works some of these events and medics are just as busy there as they are the hospital. It is crazy to say the least.
And,the average age of the NASCAR fan is much much older than sx.

But,you hardly ever see fights,out of control,obnoxious assholes at NASCAR,just good ole drunk people getting drunker.
1/18/2017 5:18am
DFWracefan wrote:
Go to ANY NASCAR race and listen to the medical scanner traffic. You can not believe the number of "fan"/spectator medical events. Falling off golf carts...
hillbilly wrote:
And,the average age of the NASCAR fan is much much older than sx. But,you hardly ever see fights,out of control,obnoxious assholes at NASCAR,just good ole drunk...

But,you hardly ever see fights,out of control,obnoxious assholes at NASCAR,just good ole drunk people getting drunker.
For the most part, yep. Worked security at 3 NASCAR races.
1/18/2017 5:22am
So you basically want a redbud lot b experience at a supercross?

Sign. Me. Up.
hillbilly
1/18/2017 5:28am
DFWracefan wrote:
hillbilly wrote:
And,the average age of the NASCAR fan is much much older than sx. But,you hardly ever see fights,out of control,obnoxious assholes at NASCAR,just good ole drunk...

For the most part, yep. Worked security at 3 NASCAR races.
Yeah,I've probably been to a hundred NASCAR races and can't recall a fight,seen obnoxious drunks but not very many.

Now,NHRA is a bit younger crowd and I've seen 2 fights at Bristol,both were bikers. Drags seem to attract Harley people but they were running the nitro Harleys both times,which puts on a great show btw. 245 mph on a bike thru a 1000 feet is pretty impressive,and never set the front wheel down many runs.
MR. X
1/18/2017 5:28am
I'm guessing all the crazy people took up watching the hill climbs . I've been to one national hill climb and there was crazy shit going on everywhere you looked .
1/18/2017 7:04am
Some of the best entertainment came from the parking lots in the early 2000s from Anaheim. I remember seeing a drunk girl on a xr 50 hold it wide open into the back of a parked truck. She walked it off. The drunk people on pit bikes was a great show before the show. Damn. Good times.
Stuntman949
1/18/2017 8:07am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2017 8:08am
It was definitely a riot back in the day in the best way possible. Although it has become a sport of hiding it from Anaheim PD, I wish they would remove the drinking ban. You drink your adult beverage out a fast food cup. You know what you are doing, they know what you are doing and it's an awkward stare off always
Jt$
1/18/2017 8:29am
hillbilly wrote:
That's a start,now cut a2,Oakland and SD . Move them to stadiums elsewhere with a roof,seems to be plenty of them.
Suggestions? I can't think of many options that haven't been tried and either failed or were too difficult for varying reasons.

Post a reply to: Open the parking lot to pit bikes and beer

The Latest