On-Track Medical Attention Question From Toronto

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
Edited Date/Time 4/1/2014 7:33am
A while back some of you had brought up a question of whether the medical attention that Adam Cianciarulo had received in the main at Toronto had constituted outside assistance. The answer is yes.

This was an issue that had never been brought up before. In the future, the medical crew has been instructed that if they need to treat a rider during a race, the helmet comes off, and he's done for the event.
|
dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
3/31/2014 11:22am
is he done for the whole event? or just that particular race?...heat,lqc,semi
DownSouth
3/31/2014 11:26am
A ha, an answer from an informed source. I posed the question because I had never witnessed that scenario mid race either.

When I posted that topic last week nearly everyone one ignored the question and wanted to to bench race about the injury except for one response that outside assistance only pertained to help with the motorcycle.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/31/2014 11:29am
dsmith wrote:
That I couldn't tell you.
IWreckALot
3/31/2014 11:45am
dsmith wrote:
GuyB wrote:
My best guess would be you're done for the whole event. Didn't we decide with the RV debacle that if you need an IV while you're at an event you're done? I'm hearing that medical attention is medical attention.

I am wondering why they are touting that having the medical staff with a downed rider within seconds is the best aspect of the Asterisk medical unit.. There is no reason that it should take them any longer than a minute at the most to get to a down rider since the stadium is so small. That part isn't that impressive. It comes across like they're achieving greatness when in all reality, if any EMT service were on hand, they'd be there just as fast. I think they'd fascinate more people if they talked more about Doc Bodnar and crew's relativity to the sport and how they are the best trained professionals for what they do. That would be better than saying they raced that mule over to the accident scene and now they're pulling AC's finger.

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/31/2014 11:59am
IWreckALot wrote:
My best guess would be you're done for the whole event. Didn't we decide with the RV debacle that if you need an IV while you're...
My best guess would be you're done for the whole event. Didn't we decide with the RV debacle that if you need an IV while you're at an event you're done? I'm hearing that medical attention is medical attention.

I am wondering why they are touting that having the medical staff with a downed rider within seconds is the best aspect of the Asterisk medical unit.. There is no reason that it should take them any longer than a minute at the most to get to a down rider since the stadium is so small. That part isn't that impressive. It comes across like they're achieving greatness when in all reality, if any EMT service were on hand, they'd be there just as fast. I think they'd fascinate more people if they talked more about Doc Bodnar and crew's relativity to the sport and how they are the best trained professionals for what they do. That would be better than saying they raced that mule over to the accident scene and now they're pulling AC's finger.
I don't know about we... I saw every kind of crazy conspiracy theory in here regarding that one.

You're now bringing in a bunch of unrelated topics into this one.

I don't see speed as the best aspect of it. I see that the best part of the Asterisk Mobile Medical unit is that they're good at what they do, they're familiar with and understand our sport, that they know the riders, and the riders know and trust them.
shiftmx_22
Fantasy
708th
3/31/2014 12:00pm
dsmith wrote:
GuyB wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
My best guess would be you're done for the whole event. Didn't we decide with the RV debacle that if you need an IV while you're...

It would depend what the rule is categorized as. If it is considered "outside assistance", I'd say no it's not the whole event. If a rider say has his chain come off and he is not in the mechanics area and Mr. Bro runs over and helps him put it back on, that would be considered outside assistance. I would hope that he would just be DQ'd from that race and not the whole event.
TRON
3/31/2014 12:03pm
A big question would be is if a team had a medical professional on hand, say PC had it's own guy.. would that constitute outside help?
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/31/2014 12:12pm
dsmith wrote:
Here you go... I got clarification via email.

"If the medical staff clears the rider after the race he was assisted in, he can compete in future races at that meet. This is the same as if a rider went to the Asterix rig to get taped, X-rayed, or stitched up."
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
3/31/2014 12:21pm
If this was my decision to make, I would make the rule so that riders can be checked out at any time without consequence, kind of like the referee in a boxing match making sure a boxer is fit to continue. If they need a bone put back in place, fine, let the rider continue. It would suck to see a determined rider put his own shoulder in place and cause more damage, so he could continue to race, with the medical crew standing right beside him ready and able to do it the right way.
I know that I was in that position with a possible championship on the line, I would definitely attempt to do it myself.

If the rider receives oxygen, IV, etc... or anything that will give them an advantage, they're out for the race (and possibly the event).

For the outdoors the question of IV's and oxygen are more complicated. I'll save that for another post.
Big Lenny
3/31/2014 12:25pm
dsmith wrote:
GuyB wrote:
So is that maybe why he pulled off knowing he'd be DQ'd?...
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/31/2014 12:25pm
TRON wrote:
A big question would be is if a team had a medical professional on hand, say PC had it's own guy.. would that constitute outside help?
During the race there are team personnel to help in the first turn in case of a crash, and also in the mechanic's area.

I would guess that the answer is no.

Are we going to expect teams to start bringing their own doctors to races? The level of nit-pick on this stuff is fascinating. Crazy, but fascinating.

As I understand it in RV's case, his treatment was off-site. I also don't get what's so hard to understand about this.

rrdecals
3/31/2014 12:26pm
How about this- In canada what if the rider goes to the hospital, how does that work with the Canadian health care system.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/31/2014 12:29pm Edited Date/Time 3/31/2014 12:30pm
rrdecals wrote:
How about this- In canada what if the rider goes to the hospital, how does that work with the Canadian health care system.
Dunno. Better buy your own supplemental insurance, or be be prepared to pay in loonies. My ex's mom (who was Canadian) used to buy supplemental health insurance when she'd travel down here.

Payment in loonies? Just show 'em the forum. One look and they'd say you're paid in full. Wink
dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
3/31/2014 12:38pm
dsmith wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Here you go... I got clarification via email. "If the medical staff clears the rider after the race he was assisted in, he can compete in...

"If the medical staff clears the rider after the race he was assisted in, he can compete in future races at that meet. This is the same as if a rider went to the Asterix rig to get taped, X-rayed, or stitched up."
thanks for that ..
IWreckALot
3/31/2014 12:56pm
TRON wrote:
GuyB wrote:
During the race there are team personnel to help in the first turn in case of a crash, and also in the mechanic's area. I would...
During the race there are team personnel to help in the first turn in case of a crash, and also in the mechanic's area.

I would guess that the answer is no.

Are we going to expect teams to start bringing their own doctors to races? The level of nit-pick on this stuff is fascinating. Crazy, but fascinating.

As I understand it in RV's case, his treatment was off-site. I also don't get what's so hard to understand about this.

Sorry Guy. . . Didn't read the whole RV thread. It got a little deeper than I like to wade into. I like to stay in the shallow end on Vital.
Josh422
3/31/2014 12:57pm
When anyone brings up the Asterisk medical team I can't help but think about this video on a EMT forum somewhere with some Benny Hill music in the background... They are usually on their A game, but this night was probably worth forgetting!

Grieby54
3/31/2014 1:26pm
Radical wrote:
If this was my decision to make, I would make the rule so that riders can be checked out at any time without consequence, kind of...
If this was my decision to make, I would make the rule so that riders can be checked out at any time without consequence, kind of like the referee in a boxing match making sure a boxer is fit to continue. If they need a bone put back in place, fine, let the rider continue. It would suck to see a determined rider put his own shoulder in place and cause more damage, so he could continue to race, with the medical crew standing right beside him ready and able to do it the right way.
I know that I was in that position with a possible championship on the line, I would definitely attempt to do it myself.

If the rider receives oxygen, IV, etc... or anything that will give them an advantage, they're out for the race (and possibly the event).

For the outdoors the question of IV's and oxygen are more complicated. I'll save that for another post.
Agreed. Right now the riders are incentivized to tell the med crew to piss off or else they might be DQ'ed from the race. That's a really, really, really stupid rule.
Woobia 22
3/31/2014 2:28pm
Thanks for the clarification, it makes sense but like most rules will it be implemented all the time regardless of who is involved.
The outdoor ruling on Iv's sounds as clear as mud and open to abuse, but as 90% of Vital says Cheating is OK.

The part I don't understand is that these riders are racing for their lives whether they have a family or not and the majority havn't got a clue what the rules are. Most people I have found don't realise that the Rule book is just as important to them as it is to the Officials.

Like a golfer there will always be some grey areas but being aware to check beforehand in a lot of cases can help all for better racing and having a basic grip of the rules including where to actually look is something riders need to do. You don't have to swallow the rule book but I had a reasonable grasp of our rules and never ever protested any rider or event.

I am not saying that they should have checked before hand on this but surely the Medical teams Should be conversant with the rules pertaining to Outside Assistance, very basic and that is their job.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/31/2014 4:38pm
Woobia 22 wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, it makes sense but like most rules will it be implemented all the time regardless of who is involved. The outdoor ruling...
Thanks for the clarification, it makes sense but like most rules will it be implemented all the time regardless of who is involved.
The outdoor ruling on Iv's sounds as clear as mud and open to abuse, but as 90% of Vital says Cheating is OK.

The part I don't understand is that these riders are racing for their lives whether they have a family or not and the majority havn't got a clue what the rules are. Most people I have found don't realise that the Rule book is just as important to them as it is to the Officials.

Like a golfer there will always be some grey areas but being aware to check beforehand in a lot of cases can help all for better racing and having a basic grip of the rules including where to actually look is something riders need to do. You don't have to swallow the rule book but I had a reasonable grasp of our rules and never ever protested any rider or event.

I am not saying that they should have checked before hand on this but surely the Medical teams Should be conversant with the rules pertaining to Outside Assistance, very basic and that is their job.
Which 90% says cheating is okay?
500guy
3/31/2014 7:14pm
dsmith wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Outside assistance would only count for that particular race , You can't dq for outside assistance on a race that hasn't happened yet.
Woobia 22
3/31/2014 7:51pm
Woobia 22 wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, it makes sense but like most rules will it be implemented all the time regardless of who is involved. The outdoor ruling...

GuyB wrote:
Which 90% says cheating is okay?
In the Deegan's kids thread regarding getting caught cheating only a couple of people admitted to not cheating and were howled down by the majority. Quite a lot agreed with the saying " if you aint Cheating you aint Trying" One guy even stated he had cheated and said what sizes he ran etc but when questioned used the old line that he was just kidding. So The way I see him is he is either a cheat or a LIAR and probably imo both.

As for naming them as hard as it is to beleive I do have a life again after going MIA these last 14 months.

just go back through that thread and you will get close to 90 % but again they were probably just trying to act cool and run with the pack.

Getting back to what originally happened who was the person who actually put the shoulder in place and who actually held him and therefore assisted as well. Seems a refresher of the Officiating course would be in order for all involved inside the Track confines.

OR They could be like the Aussie MX /SX and just adjust the rules to suit either individuals / teams or themselves, even with the payments taking forever to reach the riders.
Hut
3/31/2014 8:03pm
dsmith wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Here you go... I got clarification via email. "If the medical staff clears the rider after the race he was assisted in, he can compete in...

Thanks for posting the info. I was curious when this got brought up but didn't know the answer.
lumpy790
4/1/2014 5:58am
The outside assistance rule was intended for mechanical assistance.

IMO popping a riders dislocated shoulder back in should not affect the riders races outcome. When a championship is on the line 1 or 2 points can and often is the decider.
Ing
4/1/2014 7:12am
So basically it looks like the rule says they (medical personnel) can do any treatment that is medically necessary. Then they can turn around and clear the guy to ride. Makes sense to me.
nickm
4/1/2014 7:33am
rrdecals wrote:
If you aren't Canadian you or your insurance company pays the hospital fees. They won't be asking for $$ up front in an emergency situation though.

Post a reply to: On-Track Medical Attention Question From Toronto

The Latest