Ok,so what do you propose then?

RCB33
Fantasy
90th
2/9/2016 5:15pm Edited Date/Time 2/10/2016 9:47pm
Ok,so after reading a previous thread it appears that the general consensus is that we all want our great sport to appear more professional. So how do we do this? It isn't like we can ditch the energy drinks but I wish red bull was the title sponsor (I feel they maintain a more professional take on the sport. Instead of dirtshark they have Red bull TV and Redbulletin magazine) so what do you guys suggest?
|
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
2/9/2016 5:23pm
Take out the brawl angle. The cheeky gladiator, and battle royal vibe. It needs to be a very antiseptic racing culture to go "mainstream". Let's face it, we're the WWE of motosports. Big corporations do not want or need to be associated with that.

The best example is Ryan Dungey. Target is one of the only major outside sponsors to sponsor an indivudual (not a team). Guys like him are what we need sport wide, and he's one of maybe 5 guys that have that appeal.
jmx411
2/9/2016 5:29pm
i feel like MXsports has done a good job of keeping it purely motocross and keep it clean and professional. These are some of the best athletes in the world and we need to put more an emphasis on that and not make this look like monster jam or wwe on motorcycles.
Excaliburbmx
2/9/2016 5:31pm
The only unprofessional thing about monster is the monster girls. It doesn't do them any favors bringing in female fans.

Also our fan base is mostly riders or two wheel industry people. Most other sports with the big corporate sponsors are sports most viewers never played and need all the commentary so they can follow along. Most Moto people don't.

Also our heroes come and go a lot faster than a the stick and ball sport types. Also those viewers like the follow the leader type situation and we like the come and get it type.

Wwe no more like ufc big difference.
TeamGreen
2/9/2016 5:34pm
If some of us can't see the leaps and bounds that the sport has made?
Well, then, "There's no pleasing you".

Even Weston's punching bag episode on Vince was mainstream "gold"...

The Shop

MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
2/9/2016 5:36pm
TeamGreen wrote:
If some of us can't see the leaps and bounds that the sport has made? Well, then, "There's no pleasing you". Even Weston's punching bag episode...

Nice play Manny!
mxb2
2/9/2016 5:38pm
The only unprofessional thing about monster is the monster girls. It doesn't do them any favors bringing in female fans. Also our fan base is mostly...
The only unprofessional thing about monster is the monster girls. It doesn't do them any favors bringing in female fans.

Also our fan base is mostly riders or two wheel industry people. Most other sports with the big corporate sponsors are sports most viewers never played and need all the commentary so they can follow along. Most Moto people don't.

Also our heroes come and go a lot faster than a the stick and ball sport types. Also those viewers like the follow the leader type situation and we like the come and get it type.

Wwe no more like ufc big difference.
Agreed, but be careful posting the monster girl opinion, some on vital will call you gay. , Imo i agree with you , plenty of women to look at, other places. Time and place for everything.
TeamGreen
2/9/2016 5:40pm
TeamGreen wrote:
If some of us can't see the leaps and bounds that the sport has made? Well, then, "There's no pleasing you". Even Weston's punching bag episode...

MxKing809 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/02/09/123316/s1200_975399a0bf18e01ac645add63772b2744a192f1adf0c24efc70e5d7c0c89c989.jpg[/img] Nice play Manny!

Nice play Manny!
Copyright, Mike Meyer.

If I sound like a dick, it's because I think we are the worst f'ing critics about... Our own sport...

We need to "Lighten up, Francis" and just enjoy the damn racing.
bvm111
2/9/2016 6:45pm
TeamGreen wrote:

MxKing809 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/02/09/123316/s1200_975399a0bf18e01ac645add63772b2744a192f1adf0c24efc70e5d7c0c89c989.jpg[/img] Nice play Manny!

Nice play Manny!
TeamGreen wrote:
Copyright, Mike Meyer. If I sound like a dick, it's because I think we are the worst f'ing critics about... Our own sport... We need to...
Copyright, Mike Meyer.

If I sound like a dick, it's because I think we are the worst f'ing critics about... Our own sport...

We need to "Lighten up, Francis" and just enjoy the damn racing.

hvaughn88
2/9/2016 6:58pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2016 6:59pm
This seems to be a topic you have to tread lightly around. It seems like this sport has and will usually attract more of the...how shall I put this...less "professional" crowd. I don't mean that to be a dickhead comment, but I think you might be able to pick up what I'm putting down. This isn't neccesarily a bad thing, just an observation. From an entertainment standpoint, I think the product that is being produced is probably the result of the anticipated target demographic. I don't know that to be for sure, but it's just a guess. I think it's safe to say that our audience and Wimbledon's audience is rarely intertwined, haha
wwoberg
2/9/2016 7:05pm
MX will always be a small sport. It's just not possible to enter into without either your parents or your good friend when your older.

With ball sports you can play with almost no money. Even car racing people can go to a local cart track and experience it for a decent price. Who is gonna go buy a bike and gear without even knowing if they like it or not.
hvaughn88
2/9/2016 7:09pm
wwoberg wrote:
MX will always be a small sport. It's just not possible to enter into without either your parents or your good friend when your older. With...
MX will always be a small sport. It's just not possible to enter into without either your parents or your good friend when your older.

With ball sports you can play with almost no money. Even car racing people can go to a local cart track and experience it for a decent price. Who is gonna go buy a bike and gear without even knowing if they like it or not.
Very true. And with bikes getting faster, jumps getting bigger and injuries becoming inevitable...mommas will put their foot down to protect their babies
Excaliburbmx
2/9/2016 7:15pm
How many football fields ,baseball fields,basketball courts,soccer fields,hockey rinks,tennis courts,etc etc etc

Now how many mx race tracks and Bmx race tracks ?

That's why the latter won't be as big in our lifetimes.

But bigger isn't better. Motorcycles and cycling is a lifestyle stick and ball sports isn't a life style for anyone past the participants.
cslacker
2/9/2016 7:23pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2016 8:00pm
Honest question, why does anyone care about growing the sport? When people say that I'm guessing they're talking about professional mx right? What's wrong with how it is right now? Ive heard it's the 2nd largest motorsport in the US after nascar. If that's true, isn't that good enough?

I like the idea of growing grassroots racing and getting more local races/offroad series/moto tracks etc.... I really don't see the interest in commercializing a good thing.

Just my opinion here I guess...
2/9/2016 7:33pm
People want the sport bigger but they complain about announcers like Ralph. Ralphs job is to dumb it down for the new fans, to explain things so that new fans can enjoy it. Shit, I go to local hockey games and don't have a clue to what's going on with rules/penalties. If I was to watch it on TV, I'd appreciate an announcer like Ralph.

No matter what is done to the sport to make it grow, there will be people that disagree with everything that's done. I think having Toyota, Nike, Chaparral, GoPro, RedBull, Monster, Rockstar is a damn good list of major sponsors as well as prime TV time on major channels like Fox and NBC. The sport is headed in the right direction but it will never be as big as the stick and ball sports.
hvaughn88
2/9/2016 7:36pm
People want the sport bigger but they complain about announcers like Ralph. Ralphs job is to dumb it down for the new fans, to explain things...
People want the sport bigger but they complain about announcers like Ralph. Ralphs job is to dumb it down for the new fans, to explain things so that new fans can enjoy it. Shit, I go to local hockey games and don't have a clue to what's going on with rules/penalties. If I was to watch it on TV, I'd appreciate an announcer like Ralph.

No matter what is done to the sport to make it grow, there will be people that disagree with everything that's done. I think having Toyota, Nike, Chaparral, GoPro, RedBull, Monster, Rockstar is a damn good list of major sponsors as well as prime TV time on major channels like Fox and NBC. The sport is headed in the right direction but it will never be as big as the stick and ball sports.
I completely agree!
Schipwreck
2/9/2016 7:37pm
Nascar has fights all the time.. I don't see anything wrong with the occasional scrap if justified. Passion keeps it interesting. Most of the public has no clue what monster girls do outside the races..or could give a crap what image dirt shark has or how it affects our sport. Coming from a young dad with two boys that ride, it's the initial cost of bikes and gear that Scares people off and in turn keeps it from growing.
Schipwreck
2/9/2016 7:41pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2016 7:45pm
Plus like was mentioned before injuries play a big part in over protective moms not letting there kids get involved.
StevieTimes
2/9/2016 7:45pm
growing the sport is good, because less interest could equal less riders which could equal tracks closing due to no money in running a track.

I assumed too it wouldn't be a problem, by now, because of population growth, even a lesser interested percentage would equal net growth. It doesn't seem that way.
2/9/2016 7:59pm
I honestly had to think for a while about this question, which is a pretty good sign for the sport because I can usually find things to bitch about straight off the cuff.

My suggestion:

The in-stadium commentator that screams all the farking time needs to be gassed. Do anyone honestly think that an inaudible holler adds anything to the show? It's tacky as hell and drives me nuts.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
357th
2/9/2016 8:01pm
To grow the sport at a participant level I think having electric mini bikes and mini bike tracks tied in with public parks in urban environments. A kid doesn't know that an electric bike isn't the equivalent to a Cobra if they aren't on the same track. It gets more people into the sport and they can grow into combustion engines of they want to, but it gets them interested. An electric bike takes away the noise complaint of opening a track. Dust and liability would be the two factors, and currently those two factors are out weighted 5 to 1 compared to noise for opening tracks.

Anyone that rides and has tried a current electric bike knows there is a huge gap in performance between a 450 and what's currently offered by the electric bikes, but it's getting closer. However If you could ride a track in your local neighborhood that was scaled down to fit the capability of the bike it would still be fun. I know I have fun when I go to K1 Speed and drive the electric karts on a scaled down warehouse track, but those cars would be extremely boring on a full size shifter kart track. If you scale down the performance of the bike and the tracks you would see less injuries and would see more participation. Not everyone wants to be a dare devil and not everyone wants to jump 90' doubles. For those that are capable of that there would still be 250F/450s and the larger raceway facilities to go ride at similar.

The problems right now is the electric bikes are more expensive than the combustion bikes, and to my knowledge no electric manufacturer is really focused on the mini bike market.

The reason the sport exploded in the 70s was the bikes were relatively cheap to get, and you could ride where ever you wanted. If you could create that environment again the sport would see a huge growth spurt. More participation = more money in the industry = more interest for the professionals that the populous has a shared experience with.

MotoGP is huge in Spain and Italy because the populous rides motorcycles, you see thousands of 125cc two stroke bike decked out in Repsol colors, people riding 50cc scooters all over the place. They love motorcycles, and aren't afraid of motor cycle riders, and little old grandmas have swung their leg over a bike or a scooter a time or two in their lives and know the rush and admire the skill of the professionals. Make the sport easier to try and the sport would explode in popularity.

That's my opinion. Although I think the professional level has seen immense growth in the past 30 years.There's always ebs and flows, but the sport at the top looks healthy. The problem is the bottom at the local level is drying up.
SCR
2/9/2016 8:19pm
Participation in mx and dirt bikes has been declining for 30yrs. Cost, public land closures, track lawsuits, dangerous local tracks.
MX has been pretty resilient compared to some motorsports like Indy Car, and AMA roadracing.
Crush
2/9/2016 8:22pm
I know it's been talked about, but if the production team spent some time displaying the logos and brand names of Rider sponsors each time they're on the podium, featured etc, the sponsors would sure be a lot happier and more likely to put in...

Instead, we get just a backboard of half-drop Claws and FS1 logos... I get they're the big players, but they need to look at how they can do more for sponsors...
DPR250R
2/9/2016 8:32pm
Clip the God voice and cheesy yelling announcer for a start.
early
Fantasy
2139th
2/9/2016 8:34pm
To grow the sport at a participant level I think having electric mini bikes and mini bike tracks tied in with public parks in urban environments...
To grow the sport at a participant level I think having electric mini bikes and mini bike tracks tied in with public parks in urban environments. A kid doesn't know that an electric bike isn't the equivalent to a Cobra if they aren't on the same track. It gets more people into the sport and they can grow into combustion engines of they want to, but it gets them interested. An electric bike takes away the noise complaint of opening a track. Dust and liability would be the two factors, and currently those two factors are out weighted 5 to 1 compared to noise for opening tracks.

Anyone that rides and has tried a current electric bike knows there is a huge gap in performance between a 450 and what's currently offered by the electric bikes, but it's getting closer. However If you could ride a track in your local neighborhood that was scaled down to fit the capability of the bike it would still be fun. I know I have fun when I go to K1 Speed and drive the electric karts on a scaled down warehouse track, but those cars would be extremely boring on a full size shifter kart track. If you scale down the performance of the bike and the tracks you would see less injuries and would see more participation. Not everyone wants to be a dare devil and not everyone wants to jump 90' doubles. For those that are capable of that there would still be 250F/450s and the larger raceway facilities to go ride at similar.

The problems right now is the electric bikes are more expensive than the combustion bikes, and to my knowledge no electric manufacturer is really focused on the mini bike market.

The reason the sport exploded in the 70s was the bikes were relatively cheap to get, and you could ride where ever you wanted. If you could create that environment again the sport would see a huge growth spurt. More participation = more money in the industry = more interest for the professionals that the populous has a shared experience with.

MotoGP is huge in Spain and Italy because the populous rides motorcycles, you see thousands of 125cc two stroke bike decked out in Repsol colors, people riding 50cc scooters all over the place. They love motorcycles, and aren't afraid of motor cycle riders, and little old grandmas have swung their leg over a bike or a scooter a time or two in their lives and know the rush and admire the skill of the professionals. Make the sport easier to try and the sport would explode in popularity.

That's my opinion. Although I think the professional level has seen immense growth in the past 30 years.There's always ebs and flows, but the sport at the top looks healthy. The problem is the bottom at the local level is drying up.
Dont you think your approach would be easier and equally beneficial if it involved bmx tracks or pump tracks in parks. You can ride a pump track on a $100 bicycle and develop many skills that transfer over to moto. Plus a city is probably way more likely to get behind something that involves bicycles. The way i see it we need more people with a love for 2 wheels in America even if they have to pedal those 2 wheels. It is my opinion that the gap between the 2 wheel race fan and the 4 wheel race fan is too great and crossover doesnt happen. Basically you like one or the other (i personally have no interest in any 4 wheel racing series). It is my opinion that it would be more beneficial to tap the growing bicycle and even outdoor recreation industries for new fans/participants.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
357th
2/9/2016 8:45pm
early wrote:
Dont you think your approach would be easier and equally beneficial if it involved bmx tracks or pump tracks in parks. You can ride a pump...
Dont you think your approach would be easier and equally beneficial if it involved bmx tracks or pump tracks in parks. You can ride a pump track on a $100 bicycle and develop many skills that transfer over to moto. Plus a city is probably way more likely to get behind something that involves bicycles. The way i see it we need more people with a love for 2 wheels in America even if they have to pedal those 2 wheels. It is my opinion that the gap between the 2 wheel race fan and the 4 wheel race fan is too great and crossover doesnt happen. Basically you like one or the other (i personally have no interest in any 4 wheel racing series). It is my opinion that it would be more beneficial to tap the growing bicycle and even outdoor recreation industries for new fans/participants.
BMX tracks struggle worse than Moto tracks. At least in Southern California. In Southern California there are more Moto tracks than BMX race tracks. Most BMX kids transfer to MTB or just free ride instead of making the jump to motocross. I had a ton of friends that I rode BMX dirt jumps with, they liked Moto, but couldn't afford to make the jump to a dirt bike.

Although it would be a good idea to have some cross over with BMX and electric Moto at local parks, but I know the MTB community is not about sharing trails with Electric Motos.
2/10/2016 1:23am
I propose that we all stop wanting the sport to become "mainstream". Have you seen mainstream sports lately? How much time to get you get on the track at a practice day? Like riding in the forest, or at the dunes?

Do you like it when people say "oh wow you race motorcycles"? Ever heard anyone say "oh wow you play adult soccer"?

Some growth is good and required for technical progress, etc. But the fact that we do what we do probably means it will never be mainstream, and I am happy about that.
brocster
2/10/2016 4:52am
TripleFive wrote:
I honestly had to think for a while about this question, which is a pretty good sign for the sport because I can usually find things...
I honestly had to think for a while about this question, which is a pretty good sign for the sport because I can usually find things to bitch about straight off the cuff.

My suggestion:

The in-stadium commentator that screams all the farking time needs to be gassed. Do anyone honestly think that an inaudible holler adds anything to the show? It's tacky as hell and drives me nuts.
^^^^^^this

I am not sure what's the purpose to have this guy is screaming at the top of his lungs when the bikes are at 12K RPM once the boards turns sideways. To me (and so far two other people here) this is one things that needs to change as I believe this single action is what dumbs the event down to Monster Truck/WWE proportions.

a brief moment of silence (no announcing) and a "gentlemen start your engines" is so much more professional then the anticipation builds on it's own once the bikes start revving not some dudes vocal chords clapping together.
DoctorJD
2/10/2016 5:27am
TripleFive wrote:
I honestly had to think for a while about this question, which is a pretty good sign for the sport because I can usually find things...

My suggestion:

I couldn't agree more. I know Lurch is probably a swell guy, but that freaking shrill screaming makes me want to throat-punch him. Who thinks this is a good idea?

To add, the local promotional TV stuff with the guy with the deep, monster voice is cheesy as hell. For the love of Pete, even the monster truck series have moved away from that. As a life-long fan and participant in this sport (since the 70's) I'd hoped that by now we would have evolved into something beyond a circus sideshow. I guess as long as 12-year-olds and bro's are the sports target demographic, nothing will ever change.
jmx411
2/10/2016 5:32am
I agree with the screaming voice. It has to go. Its just a shame that more people can't get introduced to this great sport. I have taken many people that had no idea about dirt bikes to supercross races, and they were amazed by the sport and have been fans ever since.
Uncle Tony
2/10/2016 6:07am
What makes you guys think the sport is growing, because it's on T.V.?

Post a reply to: Ok,so what do you propose then?

The Latest