Ohlins or WP suspension possible on an older RM250?

jeffro503
Edited Date/Time 12/12/2019 2:11pm
I have seen pics of a couple RM250's fitted with Ohlins , but i can't actually find any info on what to get , or where to get it. Someone on here the other day said that you could order a set of suspension already to go from WP that was a direct bolt on as well....and i don't know how to go about finding that either.

I have my 06' RM done through Factory connection , but was thinking about upping my suspension gane here a little ....but i don't know where to start or who to get a hold of.

The poster " Rocketsocks26 " posted a pic of an Ohlins set that was a direct bolt on to one of my RM's....where do i find that?
|
Dragoo168
5/5/2016 4:34pm
I would be interested in the same info if you find anything out jeffro. Smile
BobPA
5/5/2016 4:36pm
They put a man on the moon in '69, I'm sure it can be done
bvm111
5/5/2016 4:56pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2016 5:19pm
In all seriousness though, Jeff I looked into the ohlins for my KX and it looked like they discontinued the fork that would fit. However, the shock could still be purchased let me do some digging to see if I can find the web site.

If anyone has info on where to source them for both jeffs RM of a 06 KX 250 it would be much appreciated!

Edit: http://www.hardracing.com is the website I was looking at awhile back, although I never contacted them to ask. Smile

The Shop

jeffro503
5/5/2016 5:30pm
Yeah...what bums me out is...you know damn well back in 05' - 08' the guys still running these 250 2 strokes had sweet suspension. Something like A-kit , Ohlins and so forth. The factory guys had factory suspension....WTF were the top privateer's running if they weren't using A-kit.
b8res
5/5/2016 5:44pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I have seen pics of a couple RM250's fitted with Ohlins , but i can't actually find any info on what to get , or where...
I have seen pics of a couple RM250's fitted with Ohlins , but i can't actually find any info on what to get , or where to get it. Someone on here the other day said that you could order a set of suspension already to go from WP that was a direct bolt on as well....and i don't know how to go about finding that either.

I have my 06' RM done through Factory connection , but was thinking about upping my suspension gane here a little ....but i don't know where to start or who to get a hold of.

The poster " Rocketsocks26 " posted a pic of an Ohlins set that was a direct bolt on to one of my RM's....where do i find that?
I think this is what your looking for! If your on Instragram you should be able to find this pretty easy.....

That RM does look pretty sweet with the WP suspension.

langhammx
Fantasy
455th
5/5/2016 5:53pm
I know of an A-Kit available, that will bolt right up, if you are interested.
jeffro503
5/5/2016 6:18pm
@B8res....yes , that is one of the bikes i had seen. How would a person even order something like that?

@Langham.....could you send me a pm with some info on this? Not sure what's all involved in actually using an older A-kit a so forth. Where do you find parts when they wear out?
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
5/5/2016 7:39pm
jeffro503 wrote:
@B8res....yes , that is one of the bikes i had seen. How would a person even order something like that? @Langham.....could you send me a pm...
@B8res....yes , that is one of the bikes i had seen. How would a person even order something like that?

@Langham.....could you send me a pm with some info on this? Not sure what's all involved in actually using an older A-kit a so forth. Where do you find parts when they wear out?
PM sent
BobPA
5/5/2016 7:48pm
bvm111 wrote:
In all seriousness though, Jeff I looked into the ohlins for my KX and it looked like they discontinued the fork that would fit. However, the...
In all seriousness though, Jeff I looked into the ohlins for my KX and it looked like they discontinued the fork that would fit. However, the shock could still be purchased let me do some digging to see if I can find the web site.

If anyone has info on where to source them for both jeffs RM of a 06 KX 250 it would be much appreciated!

Edit: http://www.hardracing.com is the website I was looking at awhile back, although I never contacted them to ask. Smile
Ohlins on an 06 Kawi can be done, I spoke to a guy at ride engineering a while ago about it. It is some pretty straight forward machining of triple clamps. Call them up, they are super helpful
b8res
5/5/2016 8:57pm
Could Emig Racing machine clamps as well?
5/5/2016 9:00pm
jeffro503 wrote:
@B8res....yes , that is one of the bikes i had seen. How would a person even order something like that? @Langham.....could you send me a pm...

Jeffro, I've never had A kit stuff but from what I understand is they are serviceable and parts are available. I'll be looking for a set for my 07 cr after I buy a house so anything A kit interests me. What I keep reading is that newer production suspension is just as good if not better than older A kit stuff which I have a hard time believing. Between the special coatings, tighter tolerances and everything being bigger it's just gotta be better than production stuff and defiantly air forks. The wp cone valve forks and traxs Shock have some appeal to them also. Good luck on your search and good find with your new rm.
NorcalVet
5/5/2016 9:14pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2016 9:16pm
b8res wrote:
did you load up for the sandy ride day and bbq in the am Whistling

I'm bringing both... rm & rmz Wink

we can trade off your 06 and my 05?
jeffro503
5/5/2016 9:30pm
NorcalVet wrote:
btw jeffro

have you tried your 05 yet

Not yet brother...there are some things on my 05' that make me think i need to go through some things before i go risk my freakin' neck riding it. Very low run time on this bike but was bought right off the show room floor and then ridden up and down a trail with something like 30:1 stihl oil. Very carboned up and it has never been torn down and greased. Poor thing never got used the way it was built for. I'll go through it and make sure she's good before i go ride it.

Just finished putting the 06' back together about 30mins ago from a total tear down to the bare frame. If everything is good after this weekend of riding...I'm going to town on my 05'.

Gonna be a fun summer.
Crush
5/5/2016 9:38pm
There was an 08 down here for sale with em Jeffro, so they're for sale somewhere!
b8res
5/5/2016 10:16pm
b8res wrote:
NorcalVet wrote:
did you load up for the sandy ride day and bbq in the am :whistle: I'm bringing both... rm & rmz ;) we can trade off...
did you load up for the sandy ride day and bbq in the am Whistling

I'm bringing both... rm & rmz Wink

we can trade off your 06 and my 05?
Golfing Friday.....Racing Saturday.....see you on the gate! Sandbagger!
ledger
5/6/2016 12:39am
bvm111 wrote:
In all seriousness though, Jeff I looked into the ohlins for my KX and it looked like they discontinued the fork that would fit. However, the...

A few months back a seller on Ebay had an Ohlins shock for the 05-07 KX 250's that I should have bid on, there out there so keep your eyes open. Jeffro, somewhere on ThumperTalk a guy did on 05 or 06 like yours and topped it off with Ohlins, his ride report was quoted as outstanding and overly pleased, I'll try to find his build and post it. Good look'n RM's in your stable btw.
5/6/2016 3:59am
Jeffro, tex me 8482102782 im pretty sure my friend still has the ohlins if your interested
jeffro503
5/6/2016 9:20am
Jeffro, tex me 8482102782 im pretty sure my friend still has the ohlins if your interested
Thanks Rocket , I will get a hold of you a little later today.

I guess it boils down to what might be better , an older A-kit or the Ohlins stuff? Rocket , is the Ohlins set from a RMZ? Where would I get spacers and correct axels that would work with my RM wheels and ohlins forks?

I have a guy that was referred to me by Langhammx that's checking in on an older A-kit right now , but not sure of the kind condition they are in just yet.

BTW....thanks to all you dudes who chimed in on this thread for me.
12/12/2019 1:59pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I have seen pics of a couple RM250's fitted with Ohlins , but i can't actually find any info on what to get , or where...

a guy here in italy is selling a wp rear shock for rm 250 2004 if you are interested. here in europe it's quite easy to find ohlins shocks for any bike
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
12/12/2019 2:10pm
jeffro503 wrote:

a guy here in italy is selling a wp rear shock for rm 250 2004 if you are interested. here in europe it's quite easy to...
a guy here in italy is selling a wp rear shock for rm 250 2004 if you are interested. here in europe it's quite easy to find ohlins shocks for any bike
This thread is from 2016 Shocked
Ted722
12/12/2019 2:10pm
Pretty sure Jeffro went the WP route. (2) sets! Laughing
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
12/12/2019 2:11pm
Ted722 wrote:
Pretty sure Jeffro went the WP route. (2) sets! Laughing
He bought the A-Kit for sure.

Post a reply to: Ohlins or WP suspension possible on an older RM250?

The Latest