Oh no Go Pro

RandyS
10/12/2014 6:12am Edited Date/Time 10/14/2014 10:17am
Funny, I've given a ton of thought about neck braces but never realized adding a chunk of hard plastic to the front of the most important piece of safety equipment could have a down side. I'm not going to make a true or false determination at 6 in the morning but it does make sense that maybe altering the way a piece if safety equipment works is not the best thing you could do.

Moncet, 69, also cast new light on the manner in which Schumacher was injured when he struck a rock during the fall.

'The problem for Michael was not the hit, but the mounting of the Go-Pro camera that he had on his helmet that injured his brain,' said Moncet.

Michael Schumacher is ‘waking up very slowly’ from coma, reveals his teenage son

Formula 1 driver's son Mick passed on the news about his father's condition
He told commentator Jean-Louis Moncet that things are going at 'slow pace'
Moncet said mounting of 'Schumi's' Go-Pro camera caused brain injuries
45-year-old injured in accident in French resort of Meribel in December 2013
Schumacher is still 'fighting' in purpose-built medical suite at Swiss mansion

By Peter Allen In Paris for MailOnline

Formula 1 legend Michael Schumacher is 'waking up very slowly' following the skiing accident which left him with horrific brain injuries, it emerged today.

The news of his slow recovery was passed on by the Schumacher's 15-year-old son Mick, a kart-racing driver.

The 45-year-old is being treated at home after spending six months in a medically-induced coma following the accident in Meribel, France, in December last year.

Formula 1 legend Michael Schumacher is 'waking up very slowly', his son has revealed

Mick Schumacher, 15

Formula 1 legend Michael Schumacher (left) is 'waking up very slowly', his son Mick, 15, (right) has revealed
Kart-racing driver Mick (pictured) told French F1 commentator Jean-Louis Moncet that things are going 'at a slow pace'

Kart-racing driver Mick (pictured) told French F1 commentator Jean-Louis Moncet that things are going 'at a slow pace'

French F1 commentator Jean-Louis Moncet told Europe 1 radio station: 'I saw his son and he told me that Schumi is waking up very slowly; very slowly.

'Although things are going at a slow pace, he has a lot of time, I would say he has his whole life in front of him to get back on track.'

Moncet, 69, also cast new light on the manner in which Schumacher was injured when he struck a rock during the fall.

'The problem for Michael was not the hit, but the mounting of the Go-Pro camera that he had on his helmet that injured his brain,' said Moncet.

Moncet confirmed that Schumacher was still 'fighting' at his Swiss mansion, where he is being cared for in a purpose-built medical suite.

The seven times world champion returned to his home with his wife and children two months ago after being discharged from a rehabilitation clinic in Lausanne, Switzerland.
Michael Schumacher and Mick attending the Monaco Formula One Grand Prix in Monte-Carlo in 2010

Michael Schumacher and Mick attending the Monaco Formula One Grand Prix in Monte-Carlo in 2010

Schumacher spent time in the rehab clinic after coming out of his medically-induced coma following the accident, which left him with catastrophic brain injuries.

Updates on his condition have been few and far between. After he was moved home, Schumacher's manager Sabine Kehm said there was a 'long and difficult' road ahead.

Former Ferrari boss Jean Todt visited Schumacher last month, saying: 'What's important is that he lives and that his family is with him. We really believe that things will get better. He needs time and to be left alone.
Accident: Schumacher, pictured with wife Corinna, suffered severe brain injuries after a ski accident in December last year and was put in a medically induced coma

Accident: Schumacher, pictured with wife Corinna, suffered severe brain injuries after a ski accident in December last year and was put in a medically induced coma

'In the past weeks and months, he has made progress in relation to the severity of his injury,' said Todt, now president of the International Automobile Federation.

'But a long and hard road is in front of him. Hopefully things will improve. His family is close to him. He needs time and peace.'

Schumacher is being cared for by a team of 15 experts at his home. It is understood he remains immobile and unable to speak.

His care is estimated to be costing his family 100,000 pounds per month.

At the end of the year his father Rolf is moving from his home in Germany into a specially constructed residence built for him in the grounds of the 35 million pound Schumacher mansion at Gland, on the shores of Lake Geneva.

Mick has been tipped to follow in his father's footsteps in his own motorsport career.

The 15-year-old finished runner-up at the world championships in France last month, before coming second again in the German junior kart championships last week.

Having raced under the surname of Betsch, his mother Corinna's maiden name, Mick Schumacher adopted the name Mick Jnr this season.

Last month he spoke of his intention to pursue a career in the sport, saying that it was 'only the beginning'.

|
hvaughn88
10/12/2014 6:20am
I remember right after his accident happened there was mention of the impact the go pro had on his helmet, but nothing else was really said of it. I posted something about it in here then just to see if anyone had any similar stories or feedback about having them mounted on your helmet and all was quiet. Definitely a sad deal. Sounds like the situation may be forcing his son to be an adult faster than he should have to be. Hopefully the family is staying strong. Hang in there big and little schumacher, as well as the entire family.
Berm
Fantasy
86th
10/12/2014 7:35am
Where does it explain how the GoPro caused the extra damage? I probably missed it in the wall of repeated text but it doesn't say how does it?
mattmatt300
10/12/2014 7:43am
It definitely wasn't his having an accident in the first place that caused his injuries. Gopro should pay for this!

The Shop

RandyS
10/12/2014 7:56am
I don't know if there's any proof but just from a practical standpoint taking a helmet that is designed to disperse force and adding something that will concentrate the impact to the center of the frontal lobe can't be a good thing.
bsharkey
10/12/2014 8:06am
but were talking about a skiing accident right? how do those helmets even compare to anything else/? maybe skateboarding?
disbanded
Fantasy
1914th
10/12/2014 8:22am
bsharkey wrote:
but were talking about a skiing accident right? how do those helmets even compare to anything else/? maybe skateboarding?
Skiing helmets are much closer in design to a bicycle helmet than a motorcycle helmet.
JerseyFresh
10/12/2014 9:18am
I think his problem was that he smashed his head off a rock.......
JerseyFresh
10/12/2014 9:19am
disbanded wrote:
Skiing helmets are much closer in design to a bicycle helmet than a motorcycle helmet.
and yes, a ski helmet has a layer of plastic for the shell about as thick as shroud graphics are.
disbanded
Fantasy
1914th
10/12/2014 9:30am
I'm going to need to see the footage.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1922nd
10/12/2014 10:23am
bsharkey wrote:
disbanded wrote:
A quality ski helmet is not as heavy as a M/C helmet, but does provide substantial protection. Comparing a ski helmet to a bicycle helmet is silly. There is simply no comparison. Quality ski helmets provide nearly as much impact protection as an open face motorcycle helmet.
10/12/2014 10:35am
How many times is this article going to mention that he is waking up at a slow pace?
disbanded
Fantasy
1914th
10/12/2014 10:38am
The safety requirements for bike and ski helmets are very similar.
hvaughn88
10/12/2014 11:11am
disbanded wrote:
And this point matters why ?
JerseyFresh
10/12/2014 11:16am
A quality ski helmet is not as heavy as a M/C helmet, but does provide substantial protection. Comparing a ski helmet to a bicycle helmet is...
A quality ski helmet is not as heavy as a M/C helmet, but does provide substantial protection. Comparing a ski helmet to a bicycle helmet is silly. There is simply no comparison. Quality ski helmets provide nearly as much impact protection as an open face motorcycle helmet.
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard man. There is direct comparison. My personal helmet for the Mtn has a shell that is paper thin, just like a bicycle helmet. It's a high quality, RED helmet. Research has shown that ski helmets do almost nothing in high-speed high-impact crashes. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/sports/on-slopes-rise-in-helmet-use-b…
JerseyFresh
10/12/2014 11:16am
disbanded wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
And this point matters why ?
Cause this is what we're talking about, chucklehead
edgo897
10/12/2014 12:42pm
Maybe the smashing of his Go Pro dispersed some energy and saved his life.
10/12/2014 12:47pm
Does this article provide anything more than a conclusion?
Berm
Fantasy
86th
10/12/2014 2:26pm
TripleFive wrote:
Does this article provide anything more than a conclusion?
No, but it does provide the conclusion multiple times so it has that going for it.
10/12/2014 4:12pm
RandyS wrote:
I don't know if there's any proof but just from a practical standpoint taking a helmet that is designed to disperse force and adding something that...
I don't know if there's any proof but just from a practical standpoint taking a helmet that is designed to disperse force and adding something that will concentrate the impact to the center of the frontal lobe can't be a good thing.
If the GoPro stayed attached to his helmet then they might have an argument but if it broke off the helmet I don't see how they could say it made his injuries worse. Even if it stayed attached though the force would still be directed at the helmet at the same manner that it would have if the camera wasn't there. I don't know though, I got a C in physics in high school.
RandyS
10/12/2014 4:26pm
RandyS wrote:
I don't know if there's any proof but just from a practical standpoint taking a helmet that is designed to disperse force and adding something that...
If the GoPro stayed attached to his helmet then they might have an argument but if it broke off the helmet I don't see how they...
If the GoPro stayed attached to his helmet then they might have an argument but if it broke off the helmet I don't see how they could say it made his injuries worse. Even if it stayed attached though the force would still be directed at the helmet at the same manner that it would have if the camera wasn't there. I don't know though, I got a C in physics in high school.
Well I don't think the mount usually comes off in a crash so it essentially would be like hitting a rock dead on. A helmet should be made for that scenario, but I'd be very interested to see the helmet companies view on the subject.
RandyS
10/12/2014 4:27pm
I wonder if he is waking up slowly?????
Yes he is, and the Go Pro was the cause in case you missed that in the story.
10/12/2014 5:02pm
I wonder if he is waking up slowly?????
RandyS wrote:
Yes he is, and the Go Pro was the cause in case you missed that in the story.
Has anyone heard anything from his 15 year old son?
disbanded
Fantasy
1914th
10/12/2014 5:24pm
Has anyone heard anything from his 15 year old son?
Yeah, they spoke to his son and he said that he is waking up very slowly.
Bultaco
10/12/2014 5:42pm Edited Date/Time 10/12/2014 5:45pm
and yes, a ski helmet has a layer of plastic for the shell about as thick as shroud graphics are.
This statement is about as intelligent (or accurate) as someone saying: "motorcross ain't hard, you just sit there and turn the gas pedal".

As for the accident and statements from it, I think they are referring to stuff (GoPro) mounted on the helmet preventing the helmet/head from sliding. POC specifically designs their helmets to be smooth and look boring like an egg because of this.
RandyS
10/12/2014 8:08pm
Bultaco wrote:
This statement is about as intelligent (or accurate) as someone saying: "motorcross ain't hard, you just sit there and turn the gas pedal". As for the...
This statement is about as intelligent (or accurate) as someone saying: "motorcross ain't hard, you just sit there and turn the gas pedal".

As for the accident and statements from it, I think they are referring to stuff (GoPro) mounted on the helmet preventing the helmet/head from sliding. POC specifically designs their helmets to be smooth and look boring like an egg because of this.
I took it as the camera and/or mount created a localized impact area, of course I have yet to speak with any French F1 commentators.
friday10
10/12/2014 8:29pm
It definitely wasn't his having an accident in the first place that caused his injuries. Gopro should pay for this!
I'm sure there"made" him mount it on his helmet!

Post a reply to: Oh no Go Pro

The Latest