Off season workout

1/4/2011 6:38pm
iamdustin wrote:
I know it probably sounds dumb that a beginner like me is looking for advice for good off season workouts, but I want to be 100%...
I know it probably sounds dumb that a beginner like me is looking for advice for good off season workouts, but I want to be 100% ready when spring comes around. And be as Strong and as fit as I can be so nothing but my skill and practice will hold me back( i know i probably wont make that much improvement over a few months). Due to health problems I haven't been able to do that much physical activity until this year so I am pretty out of shape. I've been going on the odd jog and usually do chin ups and 15lbs dumbells, but that obviously isnt enough. If anyone has tips or a plan I would appreciate it.
Thanks, Dustin
Concept 2 rowing machine. Get a used one off craigslist or ebay. Then follow tips on Racerxvt.com . I use mine 4 nights a week in the winter......10,000 meters straight 2 nights at a moderate heart rate(about 40 minutes +/-) and the other two nights I set the computer for 8000 meters with a 2 miniute interval in between each 1000 meters. In between the 1000 meters I'll general do pushups, situps, heel lifts(on stairs) or run up down the stairs at my house. I've worked up to 50 pushups in those 2 minutes ....oh....and a GREAT ONE....Ricky did em.....I do around 75-100 waitless squats......I noticed a difference after about 3 weeks of this. When I started I could do about 13-15 pushups max.....Dave
Mutt
1/4/2011 6:41pm
Beer is a fantastic off season workout!
grover738
1/4/2011 8:00pm
First off, spend 2-3 hours on RacerXVT.com - great resource.

If your season is like mine, starting in April / May, right now they don't recommend high intensity cardio - just core lifting and long enduro stuff at 70-80% of your max heart rate. Build core strength and your aerobic base, burn off the fat, then in March / April start the intervals.

Get a HR monitor, I picked up a used on off Craigslist for $20. Also got a used Concept2 rower for $400. If you're in a decent sized town it might be cheaper in the short run to join a gym, if not, you can get a great workout in with a C2, an exercise and bosu ball, and some TRX straps.

And don't forget the kitchen! What you eat, how much you eat, and when you eat it is JUST as important as the gym part. I'd recommend buying "Eating for Life" by Bill Phillips - great book, I'm sure there are many more out there.

iudi2006
Fantasy
312th
1/4/2011 8:06pm
P90X or Insanity. That shit's for real.

The Shop

Jake-247
1/4/2011 8:14pm
A strong core and leg muscles improves your riding dramatically.

Cycling is also an awesome cardio exercise and is low impact on the body compared to running. If your town or close by has a pool use that and swim laps as this is also a great exercise and also is low impact on the body.
txmxer
1/4/2011 8:19pm
iamdustin wrote:
I know it probably sounds dumb that a beginner like me is looking for advice for good off season workouts, but I want to be 100%...
I know it probably sounds dumb that a beginner like me is looking for advice for good off season workouts, but I want to be 100% ready when spring comes around. And be as Strong and as fit as I can be so nothing but my skill and practice will hold me back( i know i probably wont make that much improvement over a few months). Due to health problems I haven't been able to do that much physical activity until this year so I am pretty out of shape. I've been going on the odd jog and usually do chin ups and 15lbs dumbells, but that obviously isnt enough. If anyone has tips or a plan I would appreciate it.
Thanks, Dustin
Concept 2 rowing machine. Get a used one off craigslist or ebay. Then follow tips on Racerxvt.com . I use mine 4 nights a week in...
Concept 2 rowing machine. Get a used one off craigslist or ebay. Then follow tips on Racerxvt.com . I use mine 4 nights a week in the winter......10,000 meters straight 2 nights at a moderate heart rate(about 40 minutes +/-) and the other two nights I set the computer for 8000 meters with a 2 miniute interval in between each 1000 meters. In between the 1000 meters I'll general do pushups, situps, heel lifts(on stairs) or run up down the stairs at my house. I've worked up to 50 pushups in those 2 minutes ....oh....and a GREAT ONE....Ricky did em.....I do around 75-100 waitless squats......I noticed a difference after about 3 weeks of this. When I started I could do about 13-15 pushups max.....Dave
that's pretty intense. Gotta watch overtraining when you work out that intensely. I think cycles are supposed to be 4 to 6 weeks between switching up your workouts?

My gym has the rower and I love it, but I think I jacked my tail bone. I stayed off it for a while and started using a foam pad on the seat, but it still kills me. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue with the rowers?

Note, this all started for me when I did a spin class...so I stayed off that for a while, but it has gotten progressively worse when using the rower.

I do like the LIfe Fitness ellipticals for cardio. Almost as good as running, but no impact.

iamdustin, you didn't say your age...I'm guessing 20's? You can probably still get away with a poor diet, but, since you want results, start eating right. You can't not work out and get in shape, but, it's awful hard to out work your table muscles in the long run.

redrider400
1/4/2011 8:24pm
iudi2006 wrote:
P90X or Insanity. That shit's for real.
I am downloading P90X right now. Its going to take about another day but I know it will be worth it. When I was in the Fire service, we all used it.
grover738
1/4/2011 9:22pm
txmxer wrote:
that's pretty intense. Gotta watch overtraining when you work out that intensely. I think cycles are supposed to be 4 to 6 weeks between switching up...
that's pretty intense. Gotta watch overtraining when you work out that intensely. I think cycles are supposed to be 4 to 6 weeks between switching up your workouts?

My gym has the rower and I love it, but I think I jacked my tail bone. I stayed off it for a while and started using a foam pad on the seat, but it still kills me. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue with the rowers?

Note, this all started for me when I did a spin class...so I stayed off that for a while, but it has gotten progressively worse when using the rower.

I do like the LIfe Fitness ellipticals for cardio. Almost as good as running, but no impact.

iamdustin, you didn't say your age...I'm guessing 20's? You can probably still get away with a poor diet, but, since you want results, start eating right. You can't not work out and get in shape, but, it's awful hard to out work your table muscles in the long run.

The C2 hurt my butt/tailbone right away when I started using it too. Now it only starts to hurt at about 40 minutes in, when I started it was at about 15 minutes in. You'll adapt. One thing I've found is to roll your hips forward for a minute or so (pull in your lower back, like you're sitting on the rower with really good posture), gives the tailbone a break.
txmxer
1/5/2011 5:38am
txmxer wrote:
that's pretty intense. Gotta watch overtraining when you work out that intensely. I think cycles are supposed to be 4 to 6 weeks between switching up...

grover738 wrote:
The C2 hurt my butt/tailbone right away when I started using it too. Now it only starts to hurt at about 40 minutes in, when I...
The C2 hurt my butt/tailbone right away when I started using it too. Now it only starts to hurt at about 40 minutes in, when I started it was at about 15 minutes in. You'll adapt. One thing I've found is to roll your hips forward for a minute or so (pull in your lower back, like you're sitting on the rower with really good posture), gives the tailbone a break.
thanks. I love the workout. It's one of the best if you don't have much time. I hope I can get over the pain so I can use it more often.
grover738
1/5/2011 6:20am
txmxer wrote:
thanks. I love the workout. It's one of the best if you don't have much time. I hope I can get over the pain so I...
thanks. I love the workout. It's one of the best if you don't have much time. I hope I can get over the pain so I can use it more often.
Oh, and compression shorts help a lot. I don't row without them.
grover738
1/5/2011 6:47am
I'd say focus on the core and use heavy weights, at least this far out from the start of the season. You'll strengthen your core much quicker with heavy weights and low reps than you will with low weights and high reps. Squats, dead lifts, etc. If, like you said in your original post, you have not done much physical activity until this year, you probably need to add some muscle. Low reps and heavy weights will put muscle on the quickest.

Now someone will post about not wanting to get "bulked up", like it is something that sneaks up on you, like you'll wake up one morning looking like brock lesnar. Trust me, that won't happen in the time frame we're talking about. Right now, you need to increase your strength and build your aerobic base. Worry about endurance 8 weeks before the season, if you have the strength and aerobic base, endurance will come easy.
kaw rider9
1/5/2011 7:30am
Mutt wrote:
Beer is a fantastic off season workout!
Well, then I'm in better shape than anyone on this board!!! Buuurrpp...
iamdustin
1/6/2011 3:23pm
grover738 wrote:
I'd say focus on the core and use heavy weights, at least this far out from the start of the season. You'll strengthen your core much...
I'd say focus on the core and use heavy weights, at least this far out from the start of the season. You'll strengthen your core much quicker with heavy weights and low reps than you will with low weights and high reps. Squats, dead lifts, etc. If, like you said in your original post, you have not done much physical activity until this year, you probably need to add some muscle. Low reps and heavy weights will put muscle on the quickest.

Now someone will post about not wanting to get "bulked up", like it is something that sneaks up on you, like you'll wake up one morning looking like brock lesnar. Trust me, that won't happen in the time frame we're talking about. Right now, you need to increase your strength and build your aerobic base. Worry about endurance 8 weeks before the season, if you have the strength and aerobic base, endurance will come easy.
What would you consider heavy weights for me, I am really small for my age, 5'3 1/2- 5'4 1/2 105 lbs and I am 15. Do you recommend protein shakes or bars or will that get me to "bulked up" . Also should I be doing this everyday or should i have a gap in between?
thanks
grover738
1/6/2011 5:58pm
Definitely leave time for recovery, I'd say if you lift heavy on a Monday, don' t do the same lift until Thursday. Don't worry about getting "bulked up", it doesn't happen overnight. You can do low intensity cardio about every day - so a good schedule would be:

Monday: Lift
Tuesday: Cardio
Wed: Cardio
Thurs: LIft
Friday: Cardio
Sat: Cardio
Sunday: Recover / Stretch

As far as weights go, a basic rule is that if you can do 3 reps of 10, increase your weights until you fail to reach 10 on the last rep. You should also increase your weights each rep. So on squats, try doing 10 lifts of 95, 10 of 115, and 10 of 135. If you can complete all of them, increase your weights to like 95, 125, and 155, so you can only do 8 on the final rep. Then work at it until you can do 10 on the final rep. Always go to failure if it is safe to do so - so if you get to 10 on the last rep, keep going until failure, whether it is 11, 13, or 19. Obviously, if you can do 19 on the final, you'll need to increase all of the weights.

If you're really starting out from scratch and have no experience lifting, you should hire a trainer for at least your first couple of sessions. Use RacerXVT to lay out your program, but use a trainer to make sure you're lifting correctly. Proper form when lifting is really important, the last thing you want to do is hurt yourself in the gym.

I do use protein shakes, but don't rely on them. Read that book I mentioned above, you'll learn a lot.

Post a reply to: Off season workout

The Latest