Odd issue: blister

Edited Date/Time 9/2/2014 11:31pm
So I've just started riding again after more than a 10 year sabbatical and I'm getting an odd blister in the center of my left hand (promise it's caused by riding). The odd thing is that although I'm prone to blisters I've never had a bike that gave me a blister in that place before, and if I ride every week my hands toughen up enough to not blister up every time, but this one comes back again and again and is stopping me riding. I already tape my hands up but that only helps for one 20 min moto.

I used to ride 125 Suzukis back in the day and never had this problem but now I'm on a 2012 KTM 250SX with the stock ProTaper bars. I've swapped out the grips to ProTaper Pillow Gel grips which hasn't really made any difference. I'm pretty desperate now (hence coming on here asking for help ha ha), so here are the things I could think of that I could try changing, in no particular order:

- Try a Boyesen Flexx Grip (not sure if they even still sell them) - I used one of these when I was on minis for arm pump but it also helped a bit for blisters
- Different gloves – I’ve just bought a new pair of TLD gloves that have zero padding in them. Are there any gloves better for blisters, without being so padded they promote arm pump?
- Bar bend - could it be that the bars sweep back a bit too much for me so I need bars angled slightly more forward? I have no idea on bar bends as I've just used to run standard Renthals back in the day and now I have these Pro Tapers on the KTM
- Rubber bar mounts - KTM does a PHDS rubber mount system which I could try to reduce vibration
- I’ve seen bar inserts or foam that you squirt in the bar ends to reduce vibration
- I could go wild and get one of those Faast bar setups that flex all over the shop – zero idea on whether it’s a gimmick and would fee odd since I’m used to a pretty stiff setup (f’nar!)

Any thoughts on what I could try would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Simon

|
8/9/2014 6:13pm
Normal. Seven gloves and or Thor gloves work well (some fox stuff), and Grab ODI grips. Should help alot and squeeze more with ur legs so u dont need to death grip the bike
Tim507
8/9/2014 7:10pm
Your response to the bike is much different after 10 years.....there is no magic tricks to this, just hard work and blisters turning to calluses!

The Shop

2stroked
8/9/2014 8:04pm
Riding position dictates how your body has to hold on to the bike. Move up on the seat, weight forward, less stress on the hands and arms. Squeeze with your legs more and you wont be holding on so tight.

I own a pair of 12 degree flex bars. Best investment I've ever made. They come with a wide range of elastomers so you can customize the stiffness/softness of the bars. They are not a gimmick. Run a set of ODI clamp on grips on a set of flexbars and you'd be amazed.
8/9/2014 9:12pm
Normal. Seven gloves and or Thor gloves work well (some fox stuff), and Grab ODI grips. Should help alot and squeeze more with ur legs so...
Normal. Seven gloves and or Thor gloves work well (some fox stuff), and Grab ODI grips. Should help alot and squeeze more with ur legs so u dont need to death grip the bike
Thanks. I'll look at the Seven and Thor gloves, think my local dealer has them. I don't understand why ODI grips (lock-on or otherwise) are supposed to be better than any other grips though. Any ideas on that one?

Cheers
Simon
8/9/2014 9:13pm
bigborefan wrote:
[url=http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/28591/i/pc-racing-underware-qualifier-glove-liner/url] I use these. I got butter soft model hands and the ladies love them. I don't ride enough to get calloused. I never get blisters...

[url=http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/28591/i/pc-racing-underware-qualif…]

I use these. I got butter soft model hands and the ladies love them. I don't ride enough to get calloused. I never get blisters using these.
Ha! I used to run those when I was a kid. Might have to try some again - I remember that if I wasn't careful they ended giving me arm pump though.
8/9/2014 9:15pm
Tim507 wrote:
Your response to the bike is much different after 10 years.....there is no magic tricks to this, just hard work and blisters turning to calluses!
Thanks Tim, that's initially what I thought but after 6 weeks of riding every week my hands are calloused in the normal places at the bottom of my fingers but the biggie in the middle of my palm just re-blisters everytime - I end up with a new blister under the old one. Sucks. Pretty sure I'm riding the same as I used to, albeit much slower lol
8/9/2014 9:16pm
So I got a pair of those Palm Savers and they gave me arm pump after a couple of laps because they increased with effective diameter of the grip. Just couldn't hold on so had to ditch them. Nice idea tho if they were thinner. But maybe if they were thinner they wouldn't prevent blisters?
8/9/2014 9:24pm
2stroked wrote:
Riding position dictates how your body has to hold on to the bike. Move up on the seat, weight forward, less stress on the hands and...
Riding position dictates how your body has to hold on to the bike. Move up on the seat, weight forward, less stress on the hands and arms. Squeeze with your legs more and you wont be holding on so tight.

I own a pair of 12 degree flex bars. Best investment I've ever made. They come with a wide range of elastomers so you can customize the stiffness/softness of the bars. They are not a gimmick. Run a set of ODI clamp on grips on a set of flexbars and you'd be amazed.
I agree with the rider position thing, but I haven't really changed my riding style and the rest of my hands are fine now. I would say because the blister appears in the center of my palm it's less an issue of holding on too tight under acceleration and more an issue of pushing into the bike under braking since that part of my hand is on top of or slightly behind the top of the grip. That's what made me think it might be a bar bend issue.

Are these the bars you're talking about: http://www.fasstco.com/shop/flexx-handlebars-mx

Again, I can't see why ODI clamp on grips would be any benefit over any other type of grips. Why are they so good?

FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
8/9/2014 9:35pm
That is caused by your hands being wet inside your glove. I've had it happen a few times over the years. A lot of my riding is on private tracks so I have no problem going a couple of days with no gloves before trying it again. That is what worked for me but then again, I can ride everyday without gloves and never get a blister. I wear gloves for crash protection more than blister protection.
8/9/2014 9:44pm
That is caused by your hands being wet inside your glove. I've had it happen a few times over the years. A lot of my riding...
That is caused by your hands being wet inside your glove. I've had it happen a few times over the years. A lot of my riding is on private tracks so I have no problem going a couple of days with no gloves before trying it again. That is what worked for me but then again, I can ride everyday without gloves and never get a blister. I wear gloves for crash protection more than blister protection.
Yeah I get it that sweaty palms make your skin softer but even before I changed my gloves to the TLD ones I have now I still had this odd blister appearing, when I didn't when I used to ride - the only thing that changed in the interim was the bike I ride.
Tim507
8/9/2014 9:54pm
Tim507 wrote:
Thanks Tim, that's initially what I thought but after 6 weeks of riding every week my hands are calloused in the normal places at the bottom...
Thanks Tim, that's initially what I thought but after 6 weeks of riding every week my hands are calloused in the normal places at the bottom of my fingers but the biggie in the middle of my palm just re-blisters everytime - I end up with a new blister under the old one. Sucks. Pretty sure I'm riding the same as I used to, albeit much slower lol
Perhaps if you might relaxed your grip a bit.....if those calluses are returning perhaps your wrist are to low?
8/9/2014 9:58pm Edited Date/Time 8/9/2014 10:01pm
Tim507 wrote:
Thanks Tim, that's initially what I thought but after 6 weeks of riding every week my hands are calloused in the normal places at the bottom...
Tim507 wrote:
Perhaps if you might relaxed your grip a bit.....if those calluses are returning perhaps your wrist are to low?
If I hadn't seen myself on video the other day I might be inclined to agree with you, but I'm over the front well, gripping with my knees with my elbows up pretty good, just like I've always ridden. Never used to get this odd blister before - I'm still thinking it's something to do with the bike rather than me Smile Also if I was gripping too tight I reckon I'd get arm pump, but I can hammer out three 20 min motos pretty well (except for the blister pain which sucks balls) and no arm pump.
2stroked
8/9/2014 10:09pm
2stroked wrote:
Riding position dictates how your body has to hold on to the bike. Move up on the seat, weight forward, less stress on the hands and...

I agree with the rider position thing, but I haven't really changed my riding style and the rest of my hands are fine now. I would...
I agree with the rider position thing, but I haven't really changed my riding style and the rest of my hands are fine now. I would say because the blister appears in the center of my palm it's less an issue of holding on too tight under acceleration and more an issue of pushing into the bike under braking since that part of my hand is on top of or slightly behind the top of the grip. That's what made me think it might be a bar bend issue.

Are these the bars you're talking about: http://www.fasstco.com/shop/flexx-handlebars-mx

Again, I can't see why ODI clamp on grips would be any benefit over any other type of grips. Why are they so good?

Yes those are the flexbars everyone is talking about. Make sure IF you order a pair you stipulate 12 degree bend. The enduro bend (10 degree) is just too straight. The 12 degree is what nearly everyone runs.

My theory on the ODI grips is that the grip is actually larger in diameter due to the grip material wrapping around the plastic tube that grips on the bars themselves. This adds another layer of vibration reduction between the bars on your palms. it also means your hands dont need to wrap around as much to hold on. If you have larger hands its a god send. if you have smaller hands, no biggy. If you can find someone running them, especially on a set of flex bars bribe them into letting you ride it. You'll notice it right away.

Good luck, those blisters look painful. Hope you find a solution!
8/9/2014 10:21pm
2stroked wrote:

I agree with the rider position thing, but I haven't really changed my riding style and the rest of my hands are fine now. I would...

2stroked wrote:
Yes those are the flexbars everyone is talking about. Make sure IF you order a pair you stipulate 12 degree bend. The enduro bend (10 degree)...
Yes those are the flexbars everyone is talking about. Make sure IF you order a pair you stipulate 12 degree bend. The enduro bend (10 degree) is just too straight. The 12 degree is what nearly everyone runs.

My theory on the ODI grips is that the grip is actually larger in diameter due to the grip material wrapping around the plastic tube that grips on the bars themselves. This adds another layer of vibration reduction between the bars on your palms. it also means your hands dont need to wrap around as much to hold on. If you have larger hands its a god send. if you have smaller hands, no biggy. If you can find someone running them, especially on a set of flex bars bribe them into letting you ride it. You'll notice it right away.

Good luck, those blisters look painful. Hope you find a solution!
Cool. I'll call the Fasst people on Monday and speak to them about it all. I'm gonna ride Thunder Valley this week so I'll look out for anyone with those bars/grips. My only reservation on the ODI lock ons is that if the grip is a little larger it may give me arm pump. I'll see if I can find anyone using them round here though. Thanks again for your help!

Cheers
Simon
PFitzG38
8/10/2014 4:48pm
So I've just started riding again after more than a 10 year sabbatical and I'm getting an odd blister in the center of my left hand...
So I've just started riding again after more than a 10 year sabbatical and I'm getting an odd blister in the center of my left hand (promise it's caused by riding). The odd thing is that although I'm prone to blisters I've never had a bike that gave me a blister in that place before, and if I ride every week my hands toughen up enough to not blister up every time, but this one comes back again and again and is stopping me riding. I already tape my hands up but that only helps for one 20 min moto.

I used to ride 125 Suzukis back in the day and never had this problem but now I'm on a 2012 KTM 250SX with the stock ProTaper bars. I've swapped out the grips to ProTaper Pillow Gel grips which hasn't really made any difference. I'm pretty desperate now (hence coming on here asking for help ha ha), so here are the things I could think of that I could try changing, in no particular order:

- Try a Boyesen Flexx Grip (not sure if they even still sell them) - I used one of these when I was on minis for arm pump but it also helped a bit for blisters
- Different gloves – I’ve just bought a new pair of TLD gloves that have zero padding in them. Are there any gloves better for blisters, without being so padded they promote arm pump?
- Bar bend - could it be that the bars sweep back a bit too much for me so I need bars angled slightly more forward? I have no idea on bar bends as I've just used to run standard Renthals back in the day and now I have these Pro Tapers on the KTM
- Rubber bar mounts - KTM does a PHDS rubber mount system which I could try to reduce vibration
- I’ve seen bar inserts or foam that you squirt in the bar ends to reduce vibration
- I could go wild and get one of those Faast bar setups that flex all over the shop – zero idea on whether it’s a gimmick and would fee odd since I’m used to a pretty stiff setup (f’nar!)

Any thoughts on what I could try would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Simon

I've tried all the above and the ONLY thing that works for me is this stuff. I swear by it in the early part of the season.

Chafe Zone
8/10/2014 4:53pm
PFitzG38 wrote:
I've tried all the above and the ONLY thing that works for me is this stuff. I swear by it in the early part of the...
I've tried all the above and the ONLY thing that works for me is this stuff. I swear by it in the early part of the season.

Chafe Zone
Wow! I've never seen that - I'll definitely check it out. I'm assuming you just put it directly on your skin then gloves on top (no tape, undergloves or palm savers)?
Cheers
Simon
PFitzG38
8/10/2014 5:06pm
Wow! I've never seen that - I'll definitely check it out. I'm assuming you just put it directly on your skin then gloves on top (no...
Wow! I've never seen that - I'll definitely check it out. I'm assuming you just put it directly on your skin then gloves on top (no tape, undergloves or palm savers)?
Cheers
Simon
No tape. Only one application, it really works all day - even though you'll put it on more. Just a couple dabs before practice - clench your hands together put your gloves on and your good to go. I was desperate. At least that blister seems to be healing nicely, and oh yeah.......welcome back!
8/11/2014 7:20am
PFitzG38 wrote:
No tape. Only one application, it really works all day - even though you'll put it on more. Just a couple dabs before practice - clench...
No tape. Only one application, it really works all day - even though you'll put it on more. Just a couple dabs before practice - clench your hands together put your gloves on and your good to go. I was desperate. At least that blister seems to be healing nicely, and oh yeah.......welcome back!
Thanks for the welcome. Can't wait to get hold of some of this and try it out. Blisters heal real fast up here in the mountains cos we have so little humidity, which is nice, but not the best training for Loretta's 100% humidity sweat pit lol!

By way of hopefully a conclusion to this problem, I'm convinced it's not a riding style issue but I'm also thinking that my TLD gloves are making my palms sweat more than my crappy old No Fear gloves did (no idea why), so I'm gonna start out by getting a new pair of gloves and the Chafe Zone and see if that fixes the problem.

Then I'll speak to the Fasst people about their fancy rubber bars and try and find someone running them so I can test them out - lots of $$$ to dump down to cure a blister issue, but I'm sure those bars would help with arm pump and vibration reduction too.

Thanks again for everyone who's chimed in with suggestions - I also found this thread which might help anyone else with the issue: http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Blister-Prevention-Treatm…

Cheers
Simon
CamP
8/11/2014 8:15am Edited Date/Time 8/11/2014 8:16am
Wet gloves are the #1 cause of blisters. Bring several sets of gloves and swap to dry gloves for every moto or practice session. Also, use gloves that have no padding on the palms and have vent holes on the palms. Padding just holds sweat and makes it worse.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
8/11/2014 8:42am
CamP wrote:
Wet gloves are the #1 cause of blisters. Bring several sets of gloves and swap to dry gloves for every moto or practice session. Also, use...
Wet gloves are the #1 cause of blisters. Bring several sets of gloves and swap to dry gloves for every moto or practice session. Also, use gloves that have no padding on the palms and have vent holes on the palms. Padding just holds sweat and makes it worse.
x2 on all this. Same stuff I do. Padding in the palm just holds sweat and eventually gets wadded up and folds over creating a pressure point. Same reason I can't get down with taping and all those fancy Palm savers and glove liner thingies. Just more crap to get wadded up in there and slip and slide around.
Cygnus
8/11/2014 9:09am Edited Date/Time 8/11/2014 9:09am
If you want to come down south to ride my track I'll let you try my 450 with the Flexx bars. I wouldn't own a bike without them. I also wear Fox gloves. The only gloves I've never gotten a blister in.
Azcrf331
8/11/2014 9:21am
Superglue works great but burns like hell, use plenty and it will seal up nice. A band aid may be necessary sometimes.
8/11/2014 9:23am
CamP wrote:
Wet gloves are the #1 cause of blisters. Bring several sets of gloves and swap to dry gloves for every moto or practice session. Also, use...
FGR01 wrote:
x2 on all this. Same stuff I do. Padding in the palm just holds sweat and eventually gets wadded up and folds over creating a pressure...
x2 on all this. Same stuff I do. Padding in the palm just holds sweat and eventually gets wadded up and folds over creating a pressure point. Same reason I can't get down with taping and all those fancy Palm savers and glove liner thingies. Just more crap to get wadded up in there and slip and slide around.
Yeah new gloves are on the list and I'll rotate them between motos so I always have a fresh set.
8/11/2014 9:27am Edited Date/Time 8/11/2014 9:32am
Cygnus wrote:
If you want to come down south to ride my track I'll let you try my 450 with the Flexx bars. I wouldn't own a bike...
If you want to come down south to ride my track I'll let you try my 450 with the Flexx bars. I wouldn't own a bike without them. I also wear Fox gloves. The only gloves I've never gotten a blister in.
Cheers fella, that would be great if you don't mind! Is there anywhere to ride near you (Hanover's just South of CO Springs isn't it? - I'm in Breckenridge). I know some trails down in Pueblo, but I riding on a track would be the best. I'll PM you.
Thanks again!
Simon

EDIT - OK I'm a turd that didn't read your post properly - I see you have a track. Sweet!
8/11/2014 9:35am
Azcrf331 wrote:
Superglue works great but burns like hell, use plenty and it will seal up nice. A band aid may be necessary sometimes.
Thanks for the suggestion. I used to superglue my hands when I was in minis but after about 5 years of it I decided it probably wasn't the best thing to be doing absorbing all those glue chemicals every time I ride so I canned it. It worked OK, but my soft lady hands would still blister up on rough hard pack tracks. Would rather avoid it now too.
Cheers
Simon
Cygnus
8/11/2014 9:36am
Cygnus wrote:
If you want to come down south to ride my track I'll let you try my 450 with the Flexx bars. I wouldn't own a bike...
Cheers fella, that would be great if you don't mind! Is there anywhere to ride near you (Hanover's just South of CO Springs isn't it? -...
Cheers fella, that would be great if you don't mind! Is there anywhere to ride near you (Hanover's just South of CO Springs isn't it? - I'm in Breckenridge). I know some trails down in Pueblo, but I riding on a track would be the best. I'll PM you.
Thanks again!
Simon

EDIT - OK I'm a turd that didn't read your post properly - I see you have a track. Sweet!
Yep right in my back yard. We are prepping the track this week and facing all the jumps up too. The rain has been a blessing.
Azcrf331
8/11/2014 9:44am
Azcrf331 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I used to superglue my hands when I was in minis but after about 5 years of it I decided it probably...
Thanks for the suggestion. I used to superglue my hands when I was in minis but after about 5 years of it I decided it probably wasn't the best thing to be doing absorbing all those glue chemicals every time I ride so I canned it. It worked OK, but my soft lady hands would still blister up on rough hard pack tracks. Would rather avoid it now too.
Cheers
Simon
Welcome, I have never thought about the chemical absorption but I definitely need to think about that-thanks.

Post a reply to: Odd issue: blister

The Latest