Observations from Dilla

hasko158
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 4:10pm
What better way to start my posting than with observations from Unadilla 2010.

The track:
- Unadilla looks sick, wish they never made U2 and let the am's race there like they used to.
- Wet for first set of practices but was like a freeway so the fastest times came there
- Looked like they put some new dirt down as the rocks didn't look as bad as in the past

In the pits
- Jeff Alessi got p'd at his mechanic and charged him (his mech has to be 250lbs) only to be side stepped and slammed to the ground. His mechanic then grabbed a T-Handle and told him to stay away or he would stab him. HILARIOUS
- JS7 was back, but you wouldn't know it in the pits, he did all he could to stay hidden and ignore his fans. Saw him give 2 little kids the cold shoulder when they asked for his autograph. They were filming season 2 of Bubbas world, said to be 13 episodes. GREAT :/
- ARMA was a new presence, although the nuts did not taste very good and were high in calories
- There was a longer line for the Rockstar girls than most riders, but they are smokin
- JLaw pulled out of the motos (surprise) because he hurt his ankle/foot in practice, yet he walked around the pits all afternoon without a limp. I could see why it would be tough though, how do you get your foot in the boot with that huge ankle bracelet?! Was interesting to see him hanging with Kdub a bit.
- SX seems to be more relaxing for riders or personal for the fans, the riders to a very good job staying away and not acknowledging the fans
- Mike Alessi was seen with Big James more than his crazy father
- Are the companies and riders suffering that bad that they don't give stuff away anymore besides platics? Sorby was at JS7's rig and told a little kid he needed to give his gear back, same with NYK, and the Geico team. I remember when riders would give their helmets out, jersey's etc, there used to be drink sponsors loading up the pits (Rockstar and Muscle Milk still do well). I have not asked for anything in 13 years going to the races, but I see the young kids who wish they could get something from their fav rider.

The racing:
- 450 moto 1: Dungey smooth, consistant and fast! JS7 looked a little rusty but still fast and Desalle was very surpising. He stayed in touch and passes James back. Short rode alone. Windham crashed so hard he broke a motor mount, bars and tripple clamp. Good rides by Sipes and Chisolm. Alessi looked so far off.
- 250 moto 1: Barcia was on it and should have won but what a great moto for the Geico team, their semi was crazy after the moto as everyone was "super pumped". Porcel was banged up from a crash, but was able to save his energy for moto 2 where he is usually off.
- 450 moto 2: More Dungey and less JS7. James started in 15th, worked up to 11th and then pulled off. Some say he was p'd about the Des Nations decision, but he looked spent in his pit after moto 1. Metcalfe is really shining this year and put in a great moto. Short put on a mean fade, holeshot to 5th. Great ride by Kdub.
250 moto 2: Can any other team stop Geico and Pro Circuit?

Then an hour an a half in the parking lot in traffic topped off the annual trip to Unadilla.
|
jeffro503
8/14/2010 7:31pm
HOLY SHIT on the Jeff Alessi thing! What the hell happened?

Gonna read the rest now.
jeffro503
8/14/2010 7:34pm
Thanks for the write up man....and welcome to Vital !

The Shop

Outsider
8/14/2010 7:48pm
See now that's a great first post, thanks.
MX Culture
8/14/2010 8:02pm
Outsider wrote:
See now that's a great first post, thanks.
agreed, good job, someone payed attention and took notes!
NoGo
8/14/2010 8:07pm
hasko158 wrote:
What better way to start my posting than with observations from Unadilla 2010. The track: - Unadilla looks sick, wish they never made U2 and let...

The track:
- Unadilla looks sick, wish they never made U2 and let the am's race there like they used to.
- Wet for first set of practices but was like a freeway so the fastest times came there
- Looked like they put some new dirt down as the rocks didn't look as bad as in the past

In the pits
- Jeff Alessi got p'd at his mechanic and charged him (his mech has to be 250lbs) only to be side stepped and slammed to the ground. His mechanic then grabbed a T-Handle and told him to stay away or he would stab him. HILARIOUS
- JS7 was back, but you wouldn't know it in the pits, he did all he could to stay hidden and ignore his fans. Saw him give 2 little kids the cold shoulder when they asked for his autograph. They were filming season 2 of Bubbas world, said to be 13 episodes. GREAT :/
- ARMA was a new presence, although the nuts did not taste very good and were high in calories
- There was a longer line for the Rockstar girls than most riders, but they are smokin
- JLaw pulled out of the motos (surprise) because he hurt his ankle/foot in practice, yet he walked around the pits all afternoon without a limp. I could see why it would be tough though, how do you get your foot in the boot with that huge ankle bracelet?! Was interesting to see him hanging with Kdub a bit.
- SX seems to be more relaxing for riders or personal for the fans, the riders to a very good job staying away and not acknowledging the fans
- Are the companies and riders suffering that bad that they don't give stuff away anymore besides platics? Sorby was at JS7's rig and told a little kid he needed to give his gear back, same with NYK, and the Geico team. I remember when riders would give their helmets out, jersey's etc, there used to be drink sponsors loading up the pits (Rockstar and Muscle Milk still do well). I have not asked for anything in 13 years going to the races, but I see the young kids who wish they could get something from their fav rider.

The racing:
- 450 moto 1: Dungey smooth, consistant and fast! JS7 looked a little rusty but still fast and Desalle was very surpising. He stayed in touch and passes James back. Short rode alone. Windham crashed so hard he broke a motor mount, bars and tripple clamp. Good rides by Sipes and Chisolm. Alessi looked so far off.
- 250 moto 1: Barcia was on it and should have won but what a great moto for the Geico team, their semi was crazy after the moto as everyone was "super pumped". Porcel was banged up from a crash, but was able to save his energy for moto 2 where he is usually off.
- 450 moto 2: More Dungey and less JS7. James started in 15th, worked up to 11th and then pulled off. Some say he was p'd about the Des Nations decision, but he looked spent in his pit after moto 1. Metcalfe is really shining this year and put in a great moto. Short put on a mean fade, holeshot to 5th. Great ride by Kdub.

Then an hour an a half in the parking lot in traffic topped off the annual trip to Unadilla.
Barcia shouldn't have won.
jimmie
8/14/2010 8:13pm
Such drama in the pits.
Someone should do a situation comedy like "The Office", and maybe call it "Life In The Pits". Grinning
TheBeard
8/14/2010 8:20pm
So I hear i made tv .... great time was had by me,, few words I had wih j-law he is a great dude.... kyle regal is soo cool, hope to talk to him again at southwick and you gotta love that Johnny 140
526sBank
8/14/2010 8:23pm
jimmie wrote:
Such drama in the pits.
Someone should do a situation comedy like "The Office", and maybe call it "Life In The Pits". Grinning
It would most certainly be more entertaining than Bubba's World.
cool_hand
8/15/2010 5:35am
Great read, good first post...

My top three:

1. Changing of the Guard- JS7 was,.... Dungey, DeSalle, Kdub is. I don't see James coming
back to outdoors, with RV2, CP, and others running next year.

2. Pourcel is Bad Ass, and made a statement in Moto 2. Canard will have to fight like hell
to have a chance for this season.

3. Were still the red-headed step child in motosport coverage on TV, really sux. Let's see
Speed step up next year and have live races from 1:00 to 5:00 every Saturday.

hasko158
8/15/2010 5:39am
What happened to the days when all of the races were on ESPN? Speed has good coverage, but it is not a standard cable channel in most areas. I know I don't get it, but thanks to Alli Sports I can at least watch the first motos.
WhKnuckle
8/15/2010 5:50am
hasko158 wrote:
What happened to the days when all of the races were on ESPN? Speed has good coverage, but it is not a standard cable channel in...
What happened to the days when all of the races were on ESPN? Speed has good coverage, but it is not a standard cable channel in most areas. I know I don't get it, but thanks to Alli Sports I can at least watch the first motos.
I think the best coverage they've ever had was in '01 when ESPN2 showed both motos of both classes in the correct order, and Art Eckman and David Bailey did the commentary. My son and I still watch those '01 races all the time.

Motocross is a real unique thing - each moto cuts the track up a little more, the day gets hotter as it goes on, and to get the feel of the race, you have to put them on in order, in the same show. I know there are difficult aspects of showing two hours of moto in order, but that's the only good way to do it.
bobby397
8/15/2010 6:06am
hasko158 wrote:
What happened to the days when all of the races were on ESPN? Speed has good coverage, but it is not a standard cable channel in...
WhKnuckle wrote:
I think the best coverage they've ever had was in '01 when ESPN2 showed both motos of both classes in the correct order, and Art Eckman...
I think the best coverage they've ever had was in '01 when ESPN2 showed both motos of both classes in the correct order, and Art Eckman and David Bailey did the commentary. My son and I still watch those '01 races all the time.

Motocross is a real unique thing - each moto cuts the track up a little more, the day gets hotter as it goes on, and to get the feel of the race, you have to put them on in order, in the same show. I know there are difficult aspects of showing two hours of moto in order, but that's the only good way to do it.
I don't know if you guy remember how long it took ESPN to air the footage from the race. By the time it came on tv I was already over it and wondering the results from the next race.
WhKnuckle
8/15/2010 6:10am
hasko158 wrote:
WhKnuckle wrote:
I think the best coverage they've ever had was in '01 when ESPN2 showed both motos of both classes in the correct order, and Art Eckman...

bobby397 wrote:
I don't know if you guy remember how long it took ESPN to air the footage from the race. By the time it came on tv...
I don't know if you guy remember how long it took ESPN to air the footage from the race. By the time it came on tv I was already over it and wondering the results from the next race.
Yes, it was usually one week delayed. But it was a great way to present the race, that's all I'm saying. Showing one moto per show isn't the same at all, in my opinion. The webcasts are cool, the best thing in my book would be to webcast both motos and then put a polished two moto-in order TV show on later, even if it's the following week.
Rupert X
8/15/2010 6:29am

Sweet write-up, enjoyed it - thanks - RXP
rocrac
8/15/2010 6:39am
Great first post....welcome.

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
8/15/2010 6:41am
Now that's how a first post (and a chunk of the remaining posts) should be. Stuff that was actually seen at the race, rather than speculation from the couch. Wink
MCfan4life
8/15/2010 7:20am
GuyB wrote:
Now that's how a first post (and a chunk of the remaining posts) should be. Stuff that was actually seen at the race, rather than speculation...
Now that's how a first post (and a chunk of the remaining posts) should be. Stuff that was actually seen at the race, rather than speculation from the couch. Wink
Agreed

But Gibby why don't we see/hear about mechanics throwing T-Bars in your Vital Pit Bits ??? LaughingLaughingLaughing
TerryK
8/15/2010 8:59am
HOF material on his first post!

Welcome hasko158!
mrquick
8/15/2010 10:30am
Way to go,Hasko. great post...will be watching for next weeks write up....thanks.
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
8/15/2010 10:57am Edited Date/Time 8/15/2010 10:58am
hasko158 wrote:
What better way to start my posting than with observations from Unadilla 2010. The track: - Unadilla looks sick, wish they never made U2 and let...

The track:

In the pits

The racing:

Good write up; only one problem. Canard had Barcia's number for sure. I was right there were Canard made the pass and from that point on he was going to check out. After what Barcia did to Deano my friends and I were booing Barcia each time he went by and cheering on Canard louder and louder.(Some of the fans weren't too happy with us about that).

Too bad Barcia fell though, he might have slowed Wharton enough to let Canard rest up the last lap or two. Might have made a world of difference come the last lap and a forth of moto 2.
tw180
8/15/2010 11:58am
GuyB wrote:
Now that's how a first post (and a chunk of the remaining posts) should be. Stuff that was actually seen at the race, rather than speculation...
Nice meeting you GuyB!
hasko158
8/15/2010 1:42pm
Thanks everyone, I am hoping to attend Southwick also as that is only about an hour from me.

Two side notes I missed was it was nice to see RV2 walking around, still with a limp however abd also Tim Ferry who seems to be digging his new gig coaching Trey.

Post a reply to: Observations from Dilla

The Latest