Observation on used bike prices

Edited Date/Time 8/2/2014 3:55pm
Hi, my name is Blake; and I'm a Craigslist-aholic. (Vitards respond in unison: "Hiii, Blake")

I've been checking Craigslist multiple times per day for a few years now (which is probably why I have more bikes than I do fingers and toes). Lately I've noticed that my bikes like mine (2006 KTM 250SXF bought 4 years ago for $2,900) are retaining their value pretty well. Said another way; I could sell my bike after 4 years of enjoyment and not lose much money. Also, when I say "bikes like mine", I mean 4 strokes from just before the EFI era.

Now that brand new motocross bikes are being sold in upwards of $9,000 I believe that used bikes aren't depreciating as fast as they once did.

Thoughts?
|
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
8/2/2014 3:12pm
I view it as they are depreciating just as much and just as fast. They just have twice the distance to go. It used to be you could buy a ragged out turd for $1200. Keep a bike to long and you know you could at least get $1200 out of it. Now it seems that is closer to $2200. If you take that logic, the distance from $8 or 9 G to $2200 is more than 5G to $1200. They are depreciating more and faster.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
8/2/2014 3:37pm
I'm not saying the economy is actually "good" by any means right now as i think the avg GDP growth rate is about 1.5% annually - I'd say it is marginal at best but that is better than it was during the crash of ~08. The economy has very slowly and steadily improved in spite of our idiot in Chief and the group of baboons known as Congress. With the issues going on in the middle east and Russia, the oil and gas industry is absolutely booming in the US (without that, gas would be unaffordable ~$10/gal), which is bringing in a lot of money and creating good jobs in many areas. So people aren't as strapped for cash and they aren't just dumping their toys to pay the bills like they had to do back in 2007-2010. So if you are comparing now to about 2007-2011, yes toys seems to be holding their value a little better. I've been on the lookout for a Toy hauler on CL. What used to go for $5K-$6K during the crash, is now going for $7K-$10K. So I'm just saving my cash and investing it, renting when I need a toy hauler and I'm waiting for the next crash which should happen in the next 2-3 years (as they tend to be cyclical). I'm looking to snag a good deal with the next bubble pops.
Mr Bean
8/2/2014 3:55pm
As the ceiling rises so does the floor, but this can be both a positive and a negative.

And just because someone is asking a price doesn't mean they'll get it.

I'm with Tbones - I buy when the market is down and I sell when it's up.

How?

Stay out of debt and stay liquid - you need to be able to jump up and answer the door when opportunity knocks.

Post a reply to: Observation on used bike prices

The Latest