OSET/other electric bikes opinions/reviews

hvaughn88
Edited Date/Time 5/15/2017 11:44am
I have been kicking around the idea about getting a couple electric bikes for my two boys (2 & 7). My youngest is still on a strider so obviously he still has a while before he will be on one. My oldest has PW50 but doesn't get to ride it much (mainly because of the factors that I hope an electric bike can help (riding spots, sound, etc.)) My son has never raced and I don't plan on him ever racing, so I'm not too concerned with the track performance. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

PS, I don't intend for this to be an "electric vs combustion" thread because that's not what I'm interested in. Just looking for first hand opinions on electric bikes for kids.
|
Pirate421
10/14/2015 9:59am
I want one for my daughter they look really cool and durable. There are a few YouTube videos from Oset and the inventors son riding them through some trails and even water. I heard they may make a full size bike soon too.
Calihusky
10/14/2015 12:09pm

I just got the Oset 12.5 racing for my son who just turned 2. He rides a strider bike really well but just barely can touch the ground on the Oset so I just hold on the back and let him learn throttle control. You can set the throttle from 1 mph to 15 mph and it works well. If you are thinking about getting one of these I just recommend the Eco version. It's like $200 cheaper and only difference is you get regular bike brakes rather than discs. By the time you actually would use the discs to their potential he would probably already be looking at a pw50 anyway.
hvaughn88
10/14/2015 12:13pm
Calihusky,

Very cool. That's exactly the type of info I'm looking for. That's a great point about the brakes. The smile on your little man's face speaks volumes.

The Shop

JM485
10/14/2015 12:20pm
I've spent a little bit of time on a trials bike and just based on that I would say it's a great idea! The balance and technique they will learn will be great for their development, no matter what type of riding they end up deciding to do. Not to mention the electric ones are damn near silent I'm sure so letting them ride around in the yard or at a local park would make it easy to fit rides in. Once they both get the hang of it, how cool would it be to set up a little scaled down endurocross track or something for them to play around on, pretty much anything will work as obstacles (like 2x4 scraps or some cones to swerve through) and it can be easily changed once they improve. If I had a kid, I would definitely start them out on something like this so I say go for it!
RY9MX
10/14/2015 6:28pm
I bought my boy the oset 12.5 when he was 2. He had a strider before. He was pretty good on the oset by the time he was 2.5 years. He actually was riding the oset before he rode a pedal bike. His is a 2013 model I think. He's 3 years 9 months now and has had a pw50 for a couple months now. Since about 3 he's been able to pick the oset up if he falls over, he still can't get the pw up if he crashes. He rides his oset at parks, and our backyard and no one complains which is real nice. The first few times I took to a peewee track I would have him go out first on the oset to learn the track a little. The batteries seem to last forever. His is set to about 12 mph and he can ride multiple days without charging. The price is high IMO. I think it was about $1100. I only paid $500 for a mint condition pw50. I don't know if they all are like this, but his seems to have a hair trigger for a throttle. It accelerates way faster than the pw. He can wheely it on asphalt. Bottom line is they are pricey, but awesome to screw around the neighborhood and nothing has a low seat like it.
motokiwi
Fantasy
319th
10/14/2015 6:33pm
I have looked into them for a friends kid.

Major pluses apparently include:

They are smaller than a pw50

They are quiet (young kids new to riding with sensitive hearing are sometimes scared of the sound)

You can throw them in your trunk and ride at the local park without making obnoxious noise and no gas smell in the car.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
10/14/2015 7:53pm
Looks like I just found my sons next Birthday present. The oset 12.5 looks like a great beginner toddler bike.
liver
10/14/2015 8:00pm
My sons bikes:
3yrs - OSET 12.5, really great bike after you put a KTM 50 seat on it, the geometry is goofy and forces the kid to point his toes down while in s seated position, yes bro... A kid is going to sit, let the kid have fun. There is a small potentiometer for speed control that is hard to access so take about a 4" peice of new rubber hose and fit it over the pot for easy tweaking, I used a typical carb drain line. And I also had to buy both fwd and aft mounts for the seat to be secure. Oh, I replaced the mom bike grips with Moto grips.
4yrs - pw50, total pile of shit, nothing good to say about it
5yrs - got the KTM mini, great bike and he learned better throttle control, the bike does go a little too fast on hard pack
6 yrs - KTM sr adv, I like the tuneabilty and the suspention is much bigger for offroad
Next year he will get the full KTM 50, I buy used at this age to cut cost.
The mx32 tires have been real nice on these kid bikes.

With all that said, don't be a dick, let the kid have fun and ride the way the kid wants Smile
DD325
10/14/2015 8:28pm
My son started riding the Oset 12.5 on his 2nd birthday. He is very good on his Strider so I turned the speed down on the Oset and took the footpegs off. It took him 5 minutes to get a feel for the throttle and has been riding solo ever since.
rstaichi
10/25/2015 8:10pm
I take my 4 year old to the park and people think it's cute... If he was on a pw 50 they be calling the cops.
I bought the 12.5 almost 2 years ago and just this weeken bought the 12.5r for his brothers 3 birthday in November.

It's so much nicer the the old one I think. Very excited to get him on it.
The resone I bought them was can ride anywhere and no one bitches. And are much lighter and lower then a pw 50 and looking at $1800 for a pw with set up and tax back then....I was like really? They want top dollar for it.
I payed $1600 out door for 12.5r now and think it's worth it for my boy.... Kinda feel bad for the older one because this is so much nicer then his.
10/26/2015 2:47am
hvaughn88 wrote:
I have been kicking around the idea about getting a couple electric bikes for my two boys (2 & 7). My youngest is still on a...
I have been kicking around the idea about getting a couple electric bikes for my two boys (2 & 7). My youngest is still on a strider so obviously he still has a while before he will be on one. My oldest has PW50 but doesn't get to ride it much (mainly because of the factors that I hope an electric bike can help (riding spots, sound, etc.)) My son has never raced and I don't plan on him ever racing, so I'm not too concerned with the track performance. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

PS, I don't intend for this to be an "electric vs combustion" thread because that's not what I'm interested in. Just looking for first hand opinions on electric bikes for kids.
I would wait until whatever it is the Chris Keifer has been testing comes to market. He's said numerous times on the Pulp Show that it is exactly like a modern bike, just with an electric motor.

If you're spending that much money, might as well get something good.
RY9MX
10/26/2015 3:58am
What Keefer was testing was the Alta. Similar to a 250f and $14k.
FolkLoar
10/26/2015 6:47am
You might also consider the Razor brand electric bikes that are sold at some of the big box retailers like Academy Sports. They say 14+ on the box, but I found it to be just right for my then 3yr old. He's been riding a bike without training wheels since 3. It was the perfect first bike before we went to the PW50. You can usually pick up a used one like we did for $50-$100. Only downside is the brakes are a hard pull for little hands, but I honestly think that has helped as much as it has hurt.
dedi684
10/26/2015 8:13am
liver wrote:
My sons bikes: 3yrs - OSET 12.5, really great bike after you put a KTM 50 seat on it, the geometry is goofy and forces the...
My sons bikes:
3yrs - OSET 12.5, really great bike after you put a KTM 50 seat on it, the geometry is goofy and forces the kid to point his toes down while in s seated position, yes bro... A kid is going to sit, let the kid have fun. There is a small potentiometer for speed control that is hard to access so take about a 4" peice of new rubber hose and fit it over the pot for easy tweaking, I used a typical carb drain line. And I also had to buy both fwd and aft mounts for the seat to be secure. Oh, I replaced the mom bike grips with Moto grips.
4yrs - pw50, total pile of shit, nothing good to say about it
5yrs - got the KTM mini, great bike and he learned better throttle control, the bike does go a little too fast on hard pack
6 yrs - KTM sr adv, I like the tuneabilty and the suspention is much bigger for offroad
Next year he will get the full KTM 50, I buy used at this age to cut cost.
The mx32 tires have been real nice on these kid bikes.

With all that said, don't be a dick, let the kid have fun and ride the way the kid wants Smile
Bought a new pw myself. Runs like shit ive struggled to get it running good at slow speeds. Hes 5 now time to ditch it for something more usable.
mlevi
5/15/2017 11:14am
you can buy one from electrictrialsbikes.com they have available for order the entire oset line
500guy
5/15/2017 11:44am
This is a cool subject, I didn't even know these bikes existed. The trials bikes are cool but I agree most kids would benefit from a seat.

I like this one

Post a reply to: OSET/other electric bikes opinions/reviews

The Latest