Not Attending A1 this year and riding tomorrow for fist time since 2011

enketchum
Hello, I was once very active on this site. I'm that guy who said, "I need heavy duty gloves so I can put my hands up to protect my sunglasses." I haven't ridden since 2011 and I only rode once that season. I entered into a college career then and lost my health insurance and didn't want to ride. Now that I'm married and have a good job, we are planning to go riding again tomorrow. We bought my wife a quad, 250ex, last season and I fixed my bike up during last season. I got it running and rode it around the neighborhood (did some fender dragging wheelies for the neighbors like the wheelie boys NOT) but didn't get to ride it before Summer set it. We are going tomorrow....

We bought a truck in December 2015 and one reason was to take the bike out without having to borrow my dad's truck. Then we realized that a bike and quad won't fit in the bed side by side so we bought a trailer. Then we both bought gear, then we bought blah blah blah and we have invested a lot of money into the items we have to go riding. I'm sure I will enjoy it but I am so out of shape, I don't know how long i can hang on, even in the open desert....

This next part gets kind of long, be aware.

I have been hard core into Supercross since I was a child. I've been to every Anaheim and San Diego round for the last ~20 years. This year I'm not going. I have grown tired of this great sport. It's the same shit over and over at every Supercross round. It's the same opening ceremonies. It's the same interviews with sponsors. There no whip fest hot lap. It's the same fire works show. It's the same fire ball. It's the same heats. It's the same semis. It's the same LCQs. It's practically the same riders. It's practically the same results. It's the same main events. They aren't doing anything to change it up for us long time fans. I love the sport and I love racing, but to spend all day and a lot of money to see the same thing over and over and several times each year.

I love the riders and the access that fans are allowed in the pits, but it's the same thing every year. I won't comment on the sexualization of the sport, but after becoming a high school teacher, it disgusts me. It seems the sponsors and the energy drinks are bringing us a lot of money and publicity, but at what cost? Many families are bringing their children to these events. Most of the riders and teams are wholesome entities, but many of the other attractions in the pits are geared toward attracting males with boobs and short skirts.

If you feel like telling me to go visit a safe space or cram my feelings in my ass, go ahead, I don't care. We are raising children in a sexualized environment and Supercross is following and promoting that trend in the pits and on the show floor. I don't like it.
|
enketchum
1/3/2017 11:45pm
This is the closest I got to riding last season. The damned bike carrier broke on our way up to the desert. It didn't fall off but a support broke and it was flopping side to side. Limped it home and returned that piece of shit.

enketchum
1/3/2017 11:50pm
While I won't be attending the races, I will continue to listen to the Pulpmx show and all shows associated with Steve Matthes. That's some quality shit
1/4/2017 12:09am
Yes sexualized entertainment is everywhere these days more than ever, sports, movies, tv, social media and music.
APLMAN99
1/4/2017 12:11am
How's the teaching going? Getting all those kids to love math yet?

My son finishes his math undergrad this spring, just waiting to hear back from schools for his PhD program.

The Shop

Starcrossed
1/4/2017 12:30am
Hate to hear you're burnt out on SX. Should be a good one this weekend...most stacked field ever. Laughing
Shielding kids is going to be difficult, but kaptkaos has some good techniques. Explain how you find it distasteful in age appropriate terms. They'll learn from that...like manners.
philG
1/4/2017 12:54am
Any pictures of the wife....

But seriously, you have a great point , and sadly the message we are sending out to our kids is ' well if you both work hard , son , you can be the next Ryan Dungey, and daughter , you might get to stand next to him with your ta-ta's hanging out.

I think that is where you can draw the class difference between Red Bull and Monster, as in Red Bull take their image very seriously, and the podium girls are way toned down compared to what we see from the Green Claw.

I hate the whole way that when women are used like this, to promote a reaction from male fans, anyone who does react gets treated like some kind of predator. Listen honey, if you want my respect , don't stand in front of me half naked with skin tight clothes , halfway up your butt crack, with your bangers hanging out , covered in logo's , and have an Insta that is basically you in underwear for no good reason.. you are making money out of me looking at you , and as such, I don't care what you think. If you want to wear that for your own pleasure, then damn, I have no issue at all, its a free world, but the instant you take $1 for doing it , don't bleat like some spoilt kid about how life is so tough and nobody takes you seriously,

And enjoy the riding., never got the chance to really ride with my wife, and sadly health issues mean she has to steer clear of anything like that , which is a real shame. Back when she wanted to ride , girls just didn't ride. .
Fourth_Floor
1/4/2017 7:19am
Who cares if some 20 something year old girl with good genetics wants to flaunt her stuff as a Monster girl or whatever you're referring to? I haven't seen any professional model working a supercross or motocross event that was in poor taste and are they are showing less skin then what you'll see taking your kids to the beach. I could see your point if they are out there in thongs, doing a 30 second twerk before the gate drops. I think they keep things pretty professional. I will be taking my boy to his first supercross race this year and have no issue with any professional we will see at the event. If someone gets in a horned up boner craze over seeing a girl in a mini skirt and push up bra to where they can't control themselves then they have some weird personal issues.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
1/4/2017 7:50am
I stopped taking my family to SX a while ago. It's an embarrassingly trashy presentation. I go during the day and walk the pits, say hi to friends I haven't seen in a while, watch some practice, then go home and watch the races on TV after the family is asleep.
speed_racer
Fantasy
2007th
1/4/2017 7:58am Edited Date/Time 1/4/2017 8:01am
Well written and I agree with the OP.

I bought my son and his crew tickets, but I won't be going to A1.

I only go to SX racers to see a battle for the win, and that is rare these days.

Walking to my car to leave after watching a battle is rad, walking to my car to leave after a run away and I feel cheated.
mx836
1/4/2017 8:41am Edited Date/Time 1/4/2017 8:43am
Sorry to hear that OP. Been watching my whole life and still pumped for A1 this weekend as I'm sure all my fellow motoheads are! Will go to as many Pro races as I can manage. I think the monster thing is stupid also, but I wouldn't shy away from a race because of the girls. It's a trashy image, but not over the line at all.
Jmicmoto13
1/4/2017 8:48am
philG wrote:
Any pictures of the wife.... But seriously, you have a great point , and sadly the message we are sending out to our kids is '...
Any pictures of the wife....

But seriously, you have a great point , and sadly the message we are sending out to our kids is ' well if you both work hard , son , you can be the next Ryan Dungey, and daughter , you might get to stand next to him with your ta-ta's hanging out.

I think that is where you can draw the class difference between Red Bull and Monster, as in Red Bull take their image very seriously, and the podium girls are way toned down compared to what we see from the Green Claw.

I hate the whole way that when women are used like this, to promote a reaction from male fans, anyone who does react gets treated like some kind of predator. Listen honey, if you want my respect , don't stand in front of me half naked with skin tight clothes , halfway up your butt crack, with your bangers hanging out , covered in logo's , and have an Insta that is basically you in underwear for no good reason.. you are making money out of me looking at you , and as such, I don't care what you think. If you want to wear that for your own pleasure, then damn, I have no issue at all, its a free world, but the instant you take $1 for doing it , don't bleat like some spoilt kid about how life is so tough and nobody takes you seriously,

And enjoy the riding., never got the chance to really ride with my wife, and sadly health issues mean she has to steer clear of anything like that , which is a real shame. Back when she wanted to ride , girls just didn't ride. .
Well said. I echo the same sentiments for the same reasons. Your point about RedBull and Monster is why I prefer to purchase the RedBull products. They remain classy and invest a lot of money into all the things I am into. RedBull takes their branding very seriously and it shows.
TogaSet
Fantasy
3894th
1/4/2017 8:51am
Who gives a rats ass if you go. If you don't wanna go don't go. Every person that decides to sit one out doesn't need to come on here and give a long winded explanation of how they came to the decision to skip it.
Rocket88
1/4/2017 9:01am
TogaSet wrote:
Who gives a rats ass if you go. If you don't wanna go don't go. Every person that decides to sit one out doesn't need to...
Who gives a rats ass if you go. If you don't wanna go don't go. Every person that decides to sit one out doesn't need to come on here and give a long winded explanation of how they came to the decision to skip it.
OP just took his shirt off.
426Hemi
Fantasy
2747th
1/4/2017 9:20am
TogaSet wrote:
Who gives a rats ass if you go. If you don't wanna go don't go. Every person that decides to sit one out doesn't need to...
I agree, was thinking the same thing.

BREAKING NEWS, FAN TO MISS RACE!
1/4/2017 9:22am
Hmmm, let's break it down. You are burned out on moto, you barely ride, you aren't attracted to young sexy women anymore... sounds like you should be talking to a psychologist bro.
Jmicmoto13
1/4/2017 9:34am
TogaSet wrote:
Guess no one is allowed to state a view point or opinion around here anymore. Just because people don't think or feel the same way about things as you do doesn't mean you have to rail on them about it. Didn't your momma ever tell you if you didn't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?
TeamGreen
1/4/2017 9:42am
Stoked to have you back AND educated AND "all grown up".

Ride your ass off.

Let us know how much fun you had.

Manny
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
1/4/2017 9:54am
TeamGreen wrote:
Stoked to have you back AND educated AND "all grown up".

Ride your ass off.

Let us know how much fun you had.

Manny
This.
kaptkaos
1/4/2017 10:58am
SX is not so illicit as to make me not watch it or prevent my family from watching it. I would have to stop stop watching NFL, NBA, and a whole lot of other stuff. One thing is selling sex appeal, vs actual lewd and hard-core acts being shown.

I watch SX on my DVR on Sunday morning while eating breakfast with my family, no issues. I have never been to an SX live except Daytona which isnt a Monster Event.

I dont have an issue with this, however you have the right to decide what is best for you.
Hallzilla
1/4/2017 12:03pm
TogaSet wrote:
Just like everyone else doesn't need to make an obvious D bag comment.
Hammer 663s
1/4/2017 2:10pm
Huh - "geared toward attracting males with boobs and short skirts".

Well, I been to a few Supercross races over the years and that's something I haven't yet seen. But I did miss Santa Clara the last 2 years.

Hope you aren't teaching English or Creative writing.

Hammer
1/4/2017 2:18pm Edited Date/Time 1/4/2017 2:20pm
You've been off the bike too long. You are focused so much on the spectacle, the layman's part of the sport, that you've forgotten about the riding. I'll watch A1 at a bar with the TV muted. I may go to Sd, I may not. It's about watching the best riders ride in person. It's the same reason I take work off around nationals time, to get to ride with and watch the pros
Phantom 661
1/4/2017 2:21pm
Last time I went to A1 was 2009. I'm just a few miles away but I'll be watching the race on TV.
At age 55 I'm over all the fluff and flames. I still notice the Monster girls but I find myself strangely exited by Ralph's voice in the booth as the event begins. I just want to see that gate drop and some good racing!
Rocket88
1/4/2017 2:41pm
The Monster Girls just took their tops off.
DEMONDAVE
1/4/2017 3:25pm
Rocket88 wrote:
The Monster Girls just took their tops off.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post a reply to: Not Attending A1 this year and riding tomorrow for fist time since 2011

The Latest