Northern California has left the building.....

andymoto
10/13/2011 11:53pm
Brand was a beast. Rode Suzuki think. Remember Tim Hebard, but not Greg. Had quite a group from Santa Cruz area.

Wasn't Dave Bertram NorCal expert MX before he went off road racing?

Ben Shank from the '90s. Had skills. Laine West(Suzukis think). John Volk, longtime AXO rep. Not sure if Steve Stockwell made expert...think he worked at Carmichael Honda.

Lowell Moural Jr had great SX skills. Think he was AMA #187 in mid/later '90s on Honda when my Scott Davis raced.
SouthwestMfg
10/14/2011 8:11am
>"Lenny Macarella is one I didn't see" I remember he was a top guy for a bit, did he pass away suddenly?

Wow I rember Brand on Suzuki's, realy fast local guy for time. And good to see you Charlie!

Also Tim Worth, central valley guy? I remember him dicing with Jerome, worth on a production Honda and Jerome on the claimed/works Honda.

Cool memories....
Coyote
10/14/2011 8:24am
>"Lenny Macarella is one I didn't see" I remember he was a top guy for a bit, did he pass away suddenly? Wow I rember Brand...
>"Lenny Macarella is one I didn't see" I remember he was a top guy for a bit, did he pass away suddenly?

Wow I rember Brand on Suzuki's, realy fast local guy for time. And good to see you Charlie!

Also Tim Worth, central valley guy? I remember him dicing with Jerome, worth on a production Honda and Jerome on the claimed/works Honda.

Cool memories....
Back at ya, don't think I saw the "bitch" Larry Wosick on any of the lists, still promoting Honey Lake although its up for sale. Macarella was a phenomenal talent at 16 years old and died from a liver issue. We were riding at Carnegie and he was complaining about his back hurting, his grandparents loaded him up and took him to the hospital and he died shortly thereafter. John Moore had actually asked me to mechanic for him that weekend as his grandparents weren't too up on wrenching nor was Lenny, good kid. Yea, Brand rode suzukis and he was pretty friggin fast. I remember Worth too, Jerome rode that claimed Honda and can't remember the guys name that got it. He rode most local events but wasnt fast so he let Jerome ride it for a few events. Good old days!!
SouthwestMfg
10/14/2011 8:50am
John Roeder (spelling), yeah can't remember noting him locally but somehow he managed to qualify (2nd attempt) at national that year and claim Marty Tripe's Honda. I still remember walking through the pits at Watsonville after singing up and seeing a Honda next to Heibergers "bread-van"(classic) with green plates/white numbers, 14, and slowly realizing that bike wasn’t somebody imitation (like my Honda at the time) but a “actual” works Honda! WTF at a Watsonville local-race. Terry Good (MXworksbike.com) has that bike in his collection now.

Charlie, don’t know if you remember me, I worked with Houtermans when we had the Maico/M-Stars. You were working for Husky at the time with Micky Diamond. Yeah good old days, hope all is well for you.

The Shop

Unklemoose
10/14/2011 9:17am
andymoto wrote:
Mike Beier, Brian n Brent(?) Coulson, Marty Sawin. Gotta be another couple names missing for everyone mentioned. Wanna say Self raced either Husky or KTMs. Vasco...
Mike Beier, Brian n Brent(?) Coulson, Marty Sawin. Gotta be another couple names missing for everyone mentioned. Wanna say Self raced either Husky or KTMs. Vasco DeMello, Duane Scott, Doug Kohler think made expert. DeMello promoted races for a little bit at Mammoth Bar, Prarie..
Duane Scott still runs the tractor and builds the Hangtown National Course, him and his wife Sharon also promote the Leoni Meadows HS on memorial weekend and still races D36 Cross Country.

Eric Ducray owns Nor-Cal Motorsports (KTM) in Elk Grove, CA. Jeff Brownlee had been racing D36 Cross Country but have not seen him in a couple years. Also remember Phil Douglas (Faultline Suspension), Pockrandt, Losh, Lesneiwski. Tracy Thompson (Mr DG Yamaha) and his bars were always almost laying on his gas tank, don't know how he rode like that, Bobby Shereen.

Kraig Traum
Clutchy
10/14/2011 9:21am
Val Tamenatti....? Phil Minahan....?
Clutchy
10/14/2011 9:23am
Does Chris Carr deserve an honorable mention........ maybe Doug Chandler...Lodi..??
Clutchy
10/14/2011 9:40am
Coyote wrote:
Back at ya, don't think I saw the "bitch" Larry Wosick on any of the lists, still promoting Honey Lake although its up for sale. Macarella...
Back at ya, don't think I saw the "bitch" Larry Wosick on any of the lists, still promoting Honey Lake although its up for sale. Macarella was a phenomenal talent at 16 years old and died from a liver issue. We were riding at Carnegie and he was complaining about his back hurting, his grandparents loaded him up and took him to the hospital and he died shortly thereafter. John Moore had actually asked me to mechanic for him that weekend as his grandparents weren't too up on wrenching nor was Lenny, good kid. Yea, Brand rode suzukis and he was pretty friggin fast. I remember Worth too, Jerome rode that claimed Honda and can't remember the guys name that got it. He rode most local events but wasnt fast so he let Jerome ride it for a few events. Good old days!!
CH... Has anytone mentioned Parry Klassen...?
SouthwestMfg
10/14/2011 9:43am
Val Tammiete (spelling) was so-cal. Realy nice guy, didn't know him when he raced activily, met him when he was semi-retired. He used to go to some Golden States with Greg Zipterkopf occasionaly (another so-cal /another thread). Val was multi-time CMC #1 - on a Maico of course !!

Chris Carr, Doug Chandler and Scott Parker - can't spill into dirt track (skidder's), that would be another real long list.
Clutchy
10/14/2011 9:51am Edited Date/Time 10/14/2011 9:52am
Oops on Val... Not sure why I thought he raced north.. Okay.. Chandler/parker out..But Chris Carr can haul ass on a dirt bike, could of easily been a top guy. Saw him riding at riverfront in early 90's on a suzuki 250 swapping plastic with Coupe.
Sondy132001
10/14/2011 9:53am
Val Tammiete (spelling) was so-cal. Realy nice guy, didn't know him when he raced activily, met him when he was semi-retired. He used to go to...
Val Tammiete (spelling) was so-cal. Realy nice guy, didn't know him when he raced activily, met him when he was semi-retired. He used to go to some Golden States with Greg Zipterkopf occasionaly (another so-cal /another thread). Val was multi-time CMC #1 - on a Maico of course !!

Chris Carr, Doug Chandler and Scott Parker - can't spill into dirt track (skidder's), that would be another real long list.
Val Tamietti and Greg Zitterkopf just wanted to help with the spelling =) Val lives in So Cal up in the Burbank area and Greg lives in Grand Junction CO. Woohoo

S
SouthwestMfg
10/14/2011 11:30am
Amazing Sondy, you must have some kind of registry of riders! How the hell you know / keep track where ther'e all at, pretty neat.

Perry Klassen, yes, another realy fast guy - on a maico..
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
10/14/2011 11:40am
Val Tammiete (spelling) was so-cal. Realy nice guy, didn't know him when he raced activily, met him when he was semi-retired. He used to go to...

Parker and Carr aren't NorCal guys are they? But Class C was HUGE in NorCal, one of the reasons I think D36 never really established itself as an MX body (yes, ran some, but not really comparing to CMC or the AMA involvement in other areas. That and enduros.

But if you did, you'd have to load Ricky Graham in the list, and a lot of others.

Buggs and Jorgy were the biggest MX cross overs from Class C though it seems to me.
RexBackman
10/14/2011 12:55pm
Hmmm....Kenny Roberts, Randy Mamola come to mind given the class C comments. Covered Mamola at an Orland 1/2 mike D 36 race...that was when his sponsor was that PanAm pilot. Mamola must have been all of 16 then...
andymoto
10/14/2011 1:11pm
Carr is. Valley Springs.
Sondy132001
10/14/2011 1:35pm Edited Date/Time 10/14/2011 1:35pm
Amazing Sondy, you must have some kind of registry of riders! How the hell you know / keep track where ther'e all at, pretty neat. Perry...
Amazing Sondy, you must have some kind of registry of riders! How the hell you know / keep track where ther'e all at, pretty neat.

Perry Klassen, yes, another realy fast guy - on a maico..
Believe it or not I still see most guys in this area at different events and Zitterkopf's kids race so he brings them out to So Cal CMC races. Bauer & Tim Buck put on a big get together every year for people to come to, Nor Cal guys come too. Then we have Marty Tripes running Vintage events at my brothers Carlsbad track so lots of guys come for that too. But yeah I have the CMC database, with 30+ years in it of racers.

S
Clutchy
10/14/2011 5:24pm

Parker and Carr aren't NorCal guys are they? But Class C was HUGE in NorCal, one of the reasons I think D36 never really established itself...
Parker and Carr aren't NorCal guys are they? But Class C was HUGE in NorCal, one of the reasons I think D36 never really established itself as an MX body (yes, ran some, but not really comparing to CMC or the AMA involvement in other areas. That and enduros.

But if you did, you'd have to load Ricky Graham in the list, and a lot of others.

Buggs and Jorgy were the biggest MX cross overs from Class C though it seems to me.
Carr and Doug Chandler are................. Bugsy was one of a kind....! Dick Mann is one of the top 2 or 3 americans on two wheels..Ever, if not the best.
Joe Bruce
10/14/2011 5:48pm
Carr hauled as on a CR 250 at the San Jose endurothons. every bit as fast as Rodney Smith
az2u
10/14/2011 6:57pm
Clutchy wrote:
Does Chris Carr deserve an honorable mention........ maybe Doug Chandler...Lodi..??
Doug Chandler is from Salinas. I remember watching him and Carr battle it out on minis all over D-36. The list of dirt track riders along with their accomplishments on the dirt track from Northern California is very impressive.
YZKEN250
10/14/2011 7:08pm
jplough973 wrote:
Does anyone in Nor Cal remember Buck Ford?
Buck Ford is my cousin. Talk to him all the time. He is super busy playing in his band. Steve Jump lives down the street from me and his kid Blake used to work for me. Steves wife Toni is Donny Cantaloupes sister.
Clutchy
10/14/2011 9:18pm
YZKEN250 wrote:
Buck Ford is my cousin. Talk to him all the time. He is super busy playing in his band. Steve Jump lives down the street from...
Buck Ford is my cousin. Talk to him all the time. He is super busy playing in his band. Steve Jump lives down the street from me and his kid Blake used to work for me. Steves wife Toni is Donny Cantaloupes sister.
Tell Steve I said hi... Super good guy. raced against greg, watched steve...lol. I would love to see all the guys get together like they do in so cal.
Chris Gomez
10/15/2011 2:02am Edited Date/Time 10/15/2011 2:12am
andymoto wrote:
Brand was a beast. Rode Suzuki think. Remember Tim Hebard, but not Greg. Had quite a group from Santa Cruz area. Wasn't Dave Bertram NorCal expert...
Brand was a beast. Rode Suzuki think. Remember Tim Hebard, but not Greg. Had quite a group from Santa Cruz area.

Wasn't Dave Bertram NorCal expert MX before he went off road racing?

Ben Shank from the '90s. Had skills. Laine West(Suzukis think). John Volk, longtime AXO rep. Not sure if Steve Stockwell made expert...think he worked at Carmichael Honda.

Lowell Moural Jr had great SX skills. Think he was AMA #187 in mid/later '90s on Honda when my Scott Davis raced.
Lowell was still going pretty good at Cycleland last time I was there which admittedly was about 10 years ago. He never made it work in SX but did get a 12th somewhere, Seattle I think. He raced both classes and had huge balls.

Eric Nye is the biggest disappointment for me from Nor Cal, guy won the AMA Horizon award, battled with MC at Mammoth and then never pulled anything together in the pros, not sure what happened there. Laughridge had the most raw speed and talent from the guys I've seen up there, I never saw him ride it but his practice track in Corning was insane looking when I drove by it. Not sure what happened with him, he seemed to have the raw speed to make it work but maybe these nor cal guys lacked the mental game side of the coin. Casey Johnson was also a badass back in the day, I remember him wiping the floor with the rest of us 125 juniors on his 80 big wheel when he could barely touch the ground at Riverfront.
10/15/2011 6:43am
Mike Bier was a nor cal boy before he moved down south, Bob Davis, Pete Langley, Beau Magley, Jerry Cabral, Howie Ross, Danny Dennis all these guys hauled ass at Sears Point.
BobbyM
2/3/2012 6:06am
Clutchy wrote:
Bob Shoreen Eddie Brown
dave manez

bob and mike collins
Smitch
2/3/2012 7:09am
slipdog wrote:
Funny you say that, Tyson and I were just talking about that last week.....
Kenny Tyson?
RandyS
7/25/2017 6:13pm
Found this great old NORCAL thread. Thought I'd bring it back.
Found this old NORCAL thread that Fred found and thopught I'd bring it back again.
JW381
7/25/2017 6:18pm
Wow, slow going for a Tueaday. Have we finally run out of James Stewart threads?
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1006th
7/25/2017 9:39pm
Too many to list, Vohlands, Matson, Ryan, Tyler Evans, Jeff Pestana, Wooten, Davis, Scott Myers, Brian Roth, Brandes, Tyler Hummel, Lamson, Pat Gomm, Dennis Stapleton, Brett Racine, Jerrad Fisher, Jesse Bath, Northrop, Mcrummen, Hageman, Jurevich, Chris Neal, Trevor Meager.......the list goes on and on......

Post a reply to: Northern California has left the building.....

The Latest