Northern California has left the building.....

Sondy132001
10/12/2011 10:12am Edited Date/Time 10/12/2011 10:14am
[b]Also, what happened to the mini expert class??? It dosen't exist anymore. WTF![/b] People bitched and whined, didn't want there 9 year old racing with a...
Also, what happened to the mini expert class??? It dosen't exist anymore. WTF!

People bitched and whined, didn't want there 9 year old racing with a 14 year, so the Junior-Expert classes were replaced with age groups, remember that old adage, be careful what you wish for it just may happen ?? Mini Experts poof gone.

S
ecavaliere wrote:
There used to be 20+ Mini Experts, a FULL gate of Intermediates, and usually 2 Divisions of Novices just in the mini classes. In those days...
There used to be 20+ Mini Experts, a FULL gate of Intermediates, and usually 2 Divisions of Novices just in the mini classes. In those days you WANTED to be advanced to the next class up. You WANTED to be an Expert - that was the only way to get some help even from the local dealers. Today, NOBODY wants to move up, they all want to sandbag so they can collect on CONTINGENCIES. I think the transition to contingencies is what has created this situation. How else do you explain Intermediate riders finally moving up and winning instantly in the Pro class? Back when I got moved up to Intermediate, it was almost a year before I even trophied! Today it is more "profitable" to be a winning Novice than to be a mid-pack Pro.
I agree, but really is there any help out there ? Shops aren't sponsoring people like they use to, nor the after market companies, people are doing what they can to just stay a float. Oh and contingency is only a shell of what it was, no one is profiting trust me.

S
WORCSRacer
10/12/2011 10:12am Edited Date/Time 10/12/2011 10:14am
everyone wants a trophy ! hence the classes...it's hard you ask people what they want, they tell you, then don't show up. Plus back in the...
everyone wants a trophy ! hence the classes...it's hard you ask people what they want, they tell you, then don't show up. Plus back in the day a kid could buy himself a bike with the money he saved, the bikes are making this an elitist sport, you have to have money, well look around most the people who are racing moto are blue collar, those are the ones that are hurt the most by the economy, it's a viscous cycle.

S
I hear what you're saying but I disagree. The cost of this sport is not a real issue. You can, if so motivated, line up to race on a bike that would cost less than $2000 bucks and be competitive in the intermediate class! God knows any level below that and a good running bike can take you to the podium. There are PLENTY of used 5 to 8 year old bikes to race and get started. MX has been turned into a FASHION ELITIST sport by the MTV generation who are generally fat lazy people or posers that are addicted to 3rd person living. Here is the thought pattern;

AH ya man I'd be racin" but you know a new bike is like 9 grand... and like I'd buy a used bike but you know those things are shit cause like they'll blow up and I will like have to pay like 4 grand to get it fixed... No way dude I wouldn't ride a two stroke cause like they aren't competitive... Man like if the factories came out with a four k four stroke dude I'd be all over that. I'd be racin' fer sure bro'.... Until those fuckers stop being so greedy I'll show them bro, I'll be just sit here drinkin my 64 oz slurpee between rounds of WoW and MX/ATV unleashed cause you know Alive blows....
Clutchy
10/12/2011 10:15am
Clutchy wrote:
there's are big part of the problem all on it's own......
Like Worcs said, Practice has killed motocross, plain and simple, yeah the bikes are costly etc but people practice so much that when it comes to...
Like Worcs said, Practice has killed motocross, plain and simple, yeah the bikes are costly etc but people practice so much that when it comes to racing they don't. They complain that they can spend $25 to practice all day and more to race and get hardly any laps, or complain that they're at the track all day, come on have you looked around at the races ?? no one is spending 8 hours at the track like the good ol days, maybe 2-5 at the max...

S
The races used to be a cool place, to just hang out after your moto's. So you're saying that just doesn't happen anymore..?

I can't imagine everyone only getting a couple laps. I don't see how practice kills it though. Everyone practiced even into the late 80's early 90's when all the (pay) practice tracks started opening... the gates were still full then and the moto's long.

If I went to race and there were only 8 to 12 guys or less in my race every week and for 4 or 5 laps, I could start to see the appeal of just practicing...
Sondy132001
10/12/2011 10:21am
Clutchy wrote:
there's are big part of the problem all on it's own......
Like Worcs said, Practice has killed motocross, plain and simple, yeah the bikes are costly etc but people practice so much that when it comes to...
Like Worcs said, Practice has killed motocross, plain and simple, yeah the bikes are costly etc but people practice so much that when it comes to racing they don't. They complain that they can spend $25 to practice all day and more to race and get hardly any laps, or complain that they're at the track all day, come on have you looked around at the races ?? no one is spending 8 hours at the track like the good ol days, maybe 2-5 at the max...

S
Clutchy wrote:
The races used to be a cool place, to just hang out after your moto's. So you're saying that just doesn't happen anymore..? I can't imagine...
The races used to be a cool place, to just hang out after your moto's. So you're saying that just doesn't happen anymore..?

I can't imagine everyone only getting a couple laps. I don't see how practice kills it though. Everyone practiced even into the late 80's early 90's when all the (pay) practice tracks started opening... the gates were still full then and the moto's long.

If I went to race and there were only 8 to 12 guys or less in my race every week and for 4 or 5 laps, I could start to see the appeal of just practicing...
maybe so cal is different than up north, it's a different vibe. When I was growing up at the races I couldn't wait to see my friends on the weekend, but obviously as time goes on you get a girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband or kids or a job and time get's limited, people are in a rush, we're a country of "NOW". Everyone wants it to be as fast as possible, it's just life as we know it now. No different than and REM race, guys like it cause it starts at 8am, you're usually out by 1-2pm ?? on a Saturday to get home to spend time with the wife and kids and do all the honey-do's you need to do. have your Sunday to relax or whatever, it's quick, plus you still get your moto in. A lot of my friends do REM just for that reason.

S

The Shop

WORCSRacer
10/12/2011 10:25am Edited Date/Time 10/12/2011 10:26am
I agree, but really is there any help out there ? Shops aren't sponsoring people like they use to, nor the after market companies, people are...
I agree, but really is there any help out there ? Shops aren't sponsoring people like they use to, nor the after market companies, people are doing what they can to just stay a float. Oh and contingency is only a shell of what it was, no one is profiting trust me.

S
I wish people had a perspective on how much it costs to race cars vs bikes. There are no deals in car racing at virtually any level. Good lord even a SCCA regional racer will spend 20K to compete in the spec miata class. If you were to race a real national series the Rolex GT series 2.5 MILLION. Even the Continental GS cars are 300K annually. AND THESE TEAMS BUY EVERYTHING! Tires, motors, cars.... EVERYTHING!! I'm personally happy to have a local dealer who is interested in racing. It is really really old for them to have some Novice want a bike at or below cost because they claim they can win at Little Okie... BFD wake up and realize that just because you are running someones graphics it doesn't translate into other people wanting to buy that product or service.

If you want a deal YOU NEED TO BRING THE BUSINESS to the sponsor!!!! That will get you some help.

Whew! now help me off of this soapbox. Wink
Unklemoose
10/12/2011 10:28am
Ricky Ryan was just out the AMA-District 36 Prime Time HS at Metcalf Park this past weekend with his sons watching the races. Don't forget about Larry Wosick who now runs Honey Lake MX (it is up for sale) and Phil Crane.
WORCSRacer
10/12/2011 10:31am
maybe so cal is different than up north, it's a different vibe. When I was growing up at the races I couldn't wait to see my...
maybe so cal is different than up north, it's a different vibe. When I was growing up at the races I couldn't wait to see my friends on the weekend, but obviously as time goes on you get a girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband or kids or a job and time get's limited, people are in a rush, we're a country of "NOW". Everyone wants it to be as fast as possible, it's just life as we know it now. No different than and REM race, guys like it cause it starts at 8am, you're usually out by 1-2pm ?? on a Saturday to get home to spend time with the wife and kids and do all the honey-do's you need to do. have your Sunday to relax or whatever, it's quick, plus you still get your moto in. A lot of my friends do REM just for that reason.

S
It's the social aspect AND the motos are 15 to 20 minutes long. You can do two classes easy, so you get two 15 minute practices and 4 15 to 20 minute motos and you still get done at 2.

Thats my idea of a good day.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
10/12/2011 10:32am
I don't claim that the people I know are a representative sample, but most of the ones who are involved with kids who race are doing hare scrambles and some enduros. There a good amount of time on the bike and a pretty good atmosphere around the events. Very few of them, even the faster ones, really view pro MX racing as much of a prospect (both because few make money and even fewer make the 40 and find support for 12 rounds). And SX is another beast altogether.

And I have no sense that the local racing scene is anywhere near tied into the system that produces those riders now. Maybe it is, but I don't see or hear of it.

One shouldn't expect there to be very many riders at all from any region to be coming around with a real chance of top ten success in both MX and SX in any given five year period.
10/12/2011 10:35am
andymoto wrote:
Not Brett Racine. lol.
Brett Racine, Donovan Mitchell, Jesse Bath & Jake Windham all ran thru my head too
Matalamaki said you forgot Ray Crumb (even tho he was B'field still considered Nor Cal by us down here, anything pass Gorman ya know haha). S...
Matalamaki said you forgot Ray Crumb (even tho he was B'field still considered Nor Cal by us down here, anything pass Gorman ya know haha).

S
I think Ray was originally Fairfield right? I know Mallet knows how to use a computer, tell him to get on here!
WORCSRacer
10/12/2011 10:39am
Rusty Holland was and is still stinkin' fast. Good ol' Rollerball....
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
10/12/2011 10:50am Edited Date/Time 10/12/2011 10:54am
Anyone remember Jerome Heiberger,pretty fast Nor Cal rider back then.
Rode Maico's and rode the claimed Marty Tripes Factory Honda for a bit.
check out this little story about him and the bike.
http://www.vintagefactory.com/marty_tripe.htm
Sondy132001
10/12/2011 10:54am
neverwas wrote:
Anyone remember Jerome Heiberger,pretty fast Nor Cal rider back then. Rode Maico's and rode the claimed Marty Tripes Factory Honda for a bit. check out this...
Yep Jerome was one of my favorite guys from Nor Cal, super nice, and very cordial, I think he's a few years older than me? I had a crush on him when I was 16 haha

S
Factoryphoto
10/12/2011 11:02am
neverwas wrote:
Anyone remember Jerome Heiberger,pretty fast Nor Cal rider back then. Rode Maico's and rode the claimed Marty Tripes Factory Honda for a bit. check out this...
Yep Jerome was one of my favorite guys from Nor Cal, super nice, and very cordial, I think he's a few years older than me? I...
Yep Jerome was one of my favorite guys from Nor Cal, super nice, and very cordial, I think he's a few years older than me? I had a crush on him when I was 16 haha

S
Sondra off topic here but my buddy Jay and I made the trip down to "The Ranch" a month or so ago (weekend of the vintage race with all the older factory guys) we chatted at the gate for a minute. I gotta say the main track is just absolutely awesome cant wait to go down in November my friends rode there this past Friday or Saturday said it was great. We need mark to come up and build some tracks like that.
IceMan446
10/12/2011 11:04am
IceMan446 wrote:
Crazy to hear all the stories of the NorCal scene before I came up racing. I was lucky enough to race against the new school dudes...
Crazy to hear all the stories of the NorCal scene before I came up racing. I was lucky enough to race against the new school dudes like Morais, Mertens, Nye, Mccrummen and Tony Sherman. But hearing all the stories and seeing the photos from back in the day really makes me see how good of a place this was and how much moto really was in the forefront of the NorCal area.

And Cavaliere used to help Casey Johnson when he was younger. So I guess you could say he played a hand in his success.
ecavaliere wrote:
446!!! Great to see you on here! I keep telling Kohler I'm gonna steal your bike from his house! I was very fortunate in '85 and...
446!!! Great to see you on here! I keep telling Kohler I'm gonna steal your bike from his house! I was very fortunate in '85 and '86 that Doug Johnson (Casey and Jason's Dad) bought me a brand new YZ250 to take his kids riding. This was shortly after we were done, so it was a great way to slowly step out. I used to put Jason and Casey's bikes and put them in second gear and take the shift lever off just to force them to wring those little 60's/80's out! I also used to take their seats off and make them ride to force them to stand up - good times!
Yeah that things is sitting in his garage right now, havent rode it one time! Been trying to sell it for a couple of months. Not really agressively but if someone came along I wouldnt say no to an offer.

And man its really a small world. I had no idea that all of these guys were from the NorCal area and they know of all the places you talked about for so many years. Your legend just grew that much more!

Remember my dad talking about the same places from when he raced in the 70s and its amazing that there used to be so much moto going on in this area. I was in the game long after most of the places you guys talk about were closed.
Clutchy
10/12/2011 11:07am
unknown Jerome................
Sondy132001
10/12/2011 11:08am
neverwas wrote:
Yep Jerome was one of my favorite guys from Nor Cal, super nice, and very cordial, I think he's a few years older than me? I...

S
Sondra off topic here but my buddy Jay and I made the trip down to "The Ranch" a month or so ago (weekend of the vintage...
Sondra off topic here but my buddy Jay and I made the trip down to "The Ranch" a month or so ago (weekend of the vintage race with all the older factory guys) we chatted at the gate for a minute. I gotta say the main track is just absolutely awesome cant wait to go down in November my friends rode there this past Friday or Saturday said it was great. We need mark to come up and build some tracks like that.
Marc's pretty crazy right now with the factory tracks and Lake Elsinore, we're running a race there Oct 23rd, but yeah it would be cool to get him up there for some of our CMC northern tracks...tell me is Riverfront open yet ?? heard the last owner left it in a disarray...Glad you guys liked the track, Marc and his crew really put the hours into that place.

S
BobbyM
10/12/2011 11:10am
Unklemoose wrote:
Ricky Ryan was just out the AMA-District 36 Prime Time HS at Metcalf Park this past weekend with his sons watching the races. Don't forget about...
Ricky Ryan was just out the AMA-District 36 Prime Time HS at Metcalf Park this past weekend with his sons watching the races. Don't forget about Larry Wosick who now runs Honey Lake MX (it is up for sale) and Phil Crane.
Phil hauled ass...stoned even. He always had the best buds back in.the daze
BobbyM
10/12/2011 11:13am
neverwas wrote:
Jerome was fast and super cool. Good dude back then. Raced him and wosick many times...all over too
Factoryphoto
10/12/2011 11:14am
Riverfront goes up to bid in January again. I know at least 4 people that are waiting to bid on it and there is one I HOPE gets in because he already said that he would have Marc build him 3 tracks there right off the bat. I know a couple others that are hoping to get it and two of them are legit but I do hope this "other" guy gets it and hes motivated to get it. I think Marc built a track for another buddy of mine up here name John Moore not 100% sure but could have sworn he told me Marc built it.
BobbyM
10/12/2011 11:17am
neverwas wrote:

S
Fav huh? If you werent so stuckup back then i coulda been yer fav.
10/12/2011 11:24am
slipdog wrote:
Now that I'm finished in the shop I want to address the orignal topic a little. I think part of the reason that you don't see...
Now that I'm finished in the shop I want to address the orignal topic a little. I think part of the reason that you don't see many rider coming out of Nor-Cal in recent years is because the quality of the tracks we have don't support top level racers. The only places to practice are organized ride days at the local tracks and the problem with that is they never get rough. There was a time where everyone knew of a few riding spots to go to and the more they got ridden on the rougher and more technical they got. There were no tractors, no water trucks, you just unloaded and pounded laps or worked on technique. Thanks to urban sprawl those places dried up and now we're left with butter smooth tracks that anyone can go fast on if they just have the sack to twist the throttle.

I understand that the track promoters can't build super rough pro caliber tracks because their business is dictated by the customer base which is mostly the average joe, but I think you would have a hard time raising an olympic skier if all your training was done on the bunny slopes. It is not my intention to bash on any one racetrack or promoter it's just my take on part of the reason Nor-Cal dosen't produce talent like it use to.
Slippy, all the fast guys never rode pay to ride prepped tracks back then. It was all poach-moto on filthy rough tracks. These are just some of the places I remember...Felton, Spider Mtn, the Quarry in Scotts Valley, Fort Ord (my fave), Hollister river bed, junior jackson's place in hollister, 3rd ave in San Mateao, SFO...Heck at the Fort you could pick from at least 3-4 tracks...
Here's a few names...
Tim McClintock
Team US
Danny Boles
Jimmy Olsen
Rich Mythen
John Dauth
Danny Paladino
Hmmm...I'll think of more later.
Sondy132001
10/12/2011 11:26am
neverwas wrote:

S
BobbyM wrote:
Fav huh? If you werent so stuckup back then i coulda been yer fav.
ok how about Phil Oveland ?? he was a Nor Cal dude right ?? Lives in Hawaii now.

S
Sondy132001
10/12/2011 11:26am
Riverfront goes up to bid in January again. I know at least 4 people that are waiting to bid on it and there is one I...
Riverfront goes up to bid in January again. I know at least 4 people that are waiting to bid on it and there is one I HOPE gets in because he already said that he would have Marc build him 3 tracks there right off the bat. I know a couple others that are hoping to get it and two of them are legit but I do hope this "other" guy gets it and hes motivated to get it. I think Marc built a track for another buddy of mine up here name John Moore not 100% sure but could have sworn he told me Marc built it.
right on keep me posted in that haha if he needs any help have him email me or call Stu !!

S
Wiley
10/12/2011 11:31am Edited Date/Time 10/12/2011 11:32am
When and where I grew up we saw talent grow from riding local RAW tracks. No beautiful man-made MX tracks, but just some bitchen track that got laid out in an old gravel quarry or river bed. The real natural terrain. Where's that now? Where does a kid go after school is out for the day? Have mom haul him/her an hour down the highway to ride? Ah, yeah, that's not so realistic for 99% of the families today.

When I was a kid we didn't need an expensive track membership or a parent willing to haul us to ride. We just pushed our bikes down streets, rode across empty lots and hit fifth gear on the edge of the railroad ties all to get to the local spot. We rode three or four times a week and never got hassled. Where's a kid to do that today in CA? Some private track? Most all of the privately-owned tracks have become grown over in the past ten years because of the sound complaints and homeowner's insurance costs. No bueno.

It's just a different atmosphere today. I think many of us were very lucky to grow up in the times we did, for our kids and grandkids will never have it that good.
slipdog
10/12/2011 12:28pm
I think Ray was originally Fairfield right? I know Mallet knows how to use a computer, tell him to get on here!
Crummy was originally from Cloverdale when he rode minis but they moved to Vacaville at some point when he was young. Lots of us rode for Fairfield Kawasaki because they were the official Team Green center. After he turned pro around '91-'92 his dad took a job in the oil fields and they moved to Bakersfield.

I don't think anyone mentioned Tyler Evans.
SouthwestMfg
10/12/2011 12:39pm
FactoryPhoto ? might know you, can you forward my e-mail address to McKenna, if so pm me.

Sondy, I don't know you but met your dad from Jan Houtermans of Euro-Cycles. Both good guys, if there was a Golden State series or Trans-Cal again I'd find a bike and a rider to put on it just to go racing again - my "wrenching" went a lot bigger than my racing! Oh and Eric might have been a prankster, or he was trying to swoop you.

There is a "LOT" of national level names from Nor-Cal, saw some of the oldest, Lackey, Kevin Henry, somebody forgot Dave Longor and Bob Grossi. I got to work with McKenna, Randy Losh & Randy Pockrandt but latter with Jerome Hieberger and even a couple races with Rodney Smith. All realy good guys, lots of fun times - can't say fun times without thinking of Allen Burlutti, ok an endless supply of funny stories (some not so funny) tied to Allan. Don't post much but this thread is far-out, thanks to all who’ve posted and "HI" to all the riders mentioned even If I don't know you

Almost forgot Joey Shlag - KTM USA team in 1982, Donny Cantaloupe, Joey Shlag and John Finkelday.

Andy - if you read this far see how fast you can post 40 local pros names, I know there in your head.
Clutchy
10/12/2011 12:44pm
FactoryPhoto ? might know you, can you forward my e-mail address to McKenna, if so pm me. Sondy, I don't know you but met your dad...
FactoryPhoto ? might know you, can you forward my e-mail address to McKenna, if so pm me.

Sondy, I don't know you but met your dad from Jan Houtermans of Euro-Cycles. Both good guys, if there was a Golden State series or Trans-Cal again I'd find a bike and a rider to put on it just to go racing again - my "wrenching" went a lot bigger than my racing! Oh and Eric might have been a prankster, or he was trying to swoop you.

There is a "LOT" of national level names from Nor-Cal, saw some of the oldest, Lackey, Kevin Henry, somebody forgot Dave Longor and Bob Grossi. I got to work with McKenna, Randy Losh & Randy Pockrandt but latter with Jerome Hieberger and even a couple races with Rodney Smith. All realy good guys, lots of fun times - can't say fun times without thinking of Allen Burlutti, ok an endless supply of funny stories (some not so funny) tied to Allan. Don't post much but this thread is far-out, thanks to all who’ve posted and "HI" to all the riders mentioned even If I don't know you

Almost forgot Joey Shlag - KTM USA team in 1982, Donny Cantaloupe, Joey Shlag and John Finkelday.

Andy - if you read this far see how fast you can post 40 local pros names, I know there in your head.

That would be easy.................. make it sixty
Factoryphoto
10/12/2011 12:52pm
Slippy, all the fast guys never rode pay to ride prepped tracks back then. It was all poach-moto on filthy rough tracks. These are just some...
Slippy, all the fast guys never rode pay to ride prepped tracks back then. It was all poach-moto on filthy rough tracks. These are just some of the places I remember...Felton, Spider Mtn, the Quarry in Scotts Valley, Fort Ord (my fave), Hollister river bed, junior jackson's place in hollister, 3rd ave in San Mateao, SFO...Heck at the Fort you could pick from at least 3-4 tracks...
Here's a few names...
Tim McClintock
Team US
Danny Boles
Jimmy Olsen
Rich Mythen
John Dauth
Danny Paladino
Hmmm...I'll think of more later.
Oh ya I remember 3rd ave in San Mateo that place was awesome. So was that place right on the water in Brisbane now its a huge building (Hitachi) that brisbane place was epic after it rained. Flying tigers at SFO airport was good but had some gnarly parts to it. There was also the quarry in Santa Cruz and my personal favorites in Halfmoon Bay and Moss Beach.
Now you get a ticket for starting yur bike in the garage it seems. Remember Paul riggy or Bill Holloway? There wewre local fast guys from San Bruno.
Coyote
10/12/2011 6:25pm
ocscottie wrote:
Nealer and I in '82 [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/405/photos/25551/s780_130110180_1270527697.jpg[/img]
Nealer and I in '82

Classic Nealer, haven't talked to the Oregon transplant in awhile,think I'll give him a yell
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
10/12/2011 6:42pm
This thread has been great, a couple more names from the way back machine I didn't catch, Jim Turner, Danny Turner, not just Billy Grossi, but Bob, too, Bill Johnson, my buddy Rich Wilson. The Labor Day races at Argyll had a real north south battle feel to them for a couple years. It was a great time to grow up moto, especially in the coastal hills tracks in winter and spring. Didn't keep up with it much after the early 80's

Post a reply to: Northern California has left the building.....

The Latest