Northern California has left the building.....

machine
10/11/2011 5:02pm
machine wrote:
That's when I was riding it, around 88-89. I used to do some of the night races at Fremont raceway, did you?
ocscottie wrote:
You got to remember, i got hurt in '85, but ran many a night races there, they had the Great America Series, Then they held a...
You got to remember, i got hurt in '85, but ran many a night races there, they had the Great America Series, Then they held a benefit race for me after i got hurt, i was let out of the hospital for the night to attend and they had a whole ceremony at hafltime inbetween 1st and 2nd motos. Nealer made a speech and we all broke out into tears, he was moto #1 and was pushing his bike to the line balling... he won the moto by like 30sec and was waving to me over the big double. It was some heavy shit man, Ron woudlnt let him come see me in the hospital because he didnt want it to affect Chris, he finally let him come one time.

btw: The promoter of that race took the $$ promised to me and ran. Fucker!

So you never ran the old orig PAL at the dump? This one:

That is another great friends motorhome in the background and his little brother Brain standing there, you all know him, Mikey Young, crazy that he and i ended up having the same fate. Mikey, Chris and I were inseparable back then at the races.

Here is Mikey, me in the center and Chris at Tulare, i crashed and busted my knee wide open.
Damn man, you about brought me to tears with that. Take it easy on me, i'm drinkin beer tonight, cuzz i'm on vacation....Sad

I wish I was there for that ceremony for you bro......
ocscottie
10/11/2011 5:02pm
ecavaliere wrote:
I do remember the Matson/Pascarella brawl! Funny I can't remember what I had for dinner last night but I remember a TON about the mini racing...
I do remember the Matson/Pascarella brawl! Funny I can't remember what I had for dinner last night but I remember a TON about the mini racing days. I remember Huron having a really cool starting gate that could mechanically raise back up. That was the first concrete starting pad I ever remember using. What I don't remember is whether or not is was a Trans Cal or Golden State race ... I also remember holeshotting my second moto and leading about a lap before Mike Healy, all the Team Green guys and R&D guys went blasting past! I ended up in the midpack which is about where usually ended up.
Man, your name sounds real familiar (in the admin panel i can see full names Cool
What year and class was that? i think you raced against my brother! Chris Stewart you name rings a bell.

Ricky's dad made him this piece of carpet with 2 big metal hooks at the front that would hook on the front of the concrete pad and he had a perfect carpet launch pad for the Huron concrete start. That didnt last long though lol
ocscottie
10/11/2011 5:05pm
John Matalamaki emailed me today, speaking of Rick Ryan !~

S
NO WAY!!!!!!! How about Kurt Pingle? remember him? ran the Fox race team, we were great friends and uhhhh...stories i cant share in public lol
Factoryphoto
10/11/2011 5:05pm
Club Moto in Livermore and yes it still is open
Hey remember Fremont Raceway ??

S
Yep and there was also the place in Pacifica right on the Ocean.. I rode a lot in Halfmoon bay and moss beach some epic tracks in the bottom of the hills and one on the cliff over looking the ocean..Ahh the good times back then.
We used to ride straight across from San Francisco airport where I grew up in San Bruno we called "The cow pasture" lol right there on hwy 101 now its Bart.

The Shop

machine
10/11/2011 5:06pm
ocscottie wrote:
Sondra, i have got to get my older brother to bring his photo albums up here next time he comes, he has entire albums dedicated to...
Sondra, i have got to get my older brother to bring his photo albums up here next time he comes, he has entire albums dedicated to each Golden State Series, my mom was the raddest MotoMoms! and one helluva photog!

This shot or Ricky Ryan and Sand Hill in 81 is one of my favs.

Ricky treated me so good at the races back then, took me everywhere with him. I really loved that guy! Later on it got a little ugly, ill have to tell ya the story that happened of the fight we got in and he knocked me out of my chair.
Allan used to tell me about Ricky's dad. From the stories, he sounded like the original Tony Alessi.
ocscottie
10/11/2011 5:09pm
Check out these LOL from the '85 Fox Catalog

Deano

Nealer

The Bay Area Boys
Factoryphoto
10/11/2011 5:11pm
There was Eddie hicks also right that rode the DG suzuki with the humminbird throttle LOL
ocscottie
10/11/2011 5:12pm
machine wrote:
Allan used to tell me about Ricky's dad. From the stories, he sounded like the original Tony Alessi.
He wasnt half as bad as Mikey Youngs dad! I remember watching a Muhammad Allli fight in their motorhome at Baylands lol

Mikey came in after having a bad moto, his dad at the side of the track yelling at him EVERY lap, threw his bike down and ran after his dad screaming, "i dont want to do this anymore!" he was about 12 years old at the time! Linda his mom was such a sweetheart.
machine
10/11/2011 5:13pm
ocscottie wrote:
Check out these LOL from the '85 Fox Catalog Deano [img]https://www.ocscottie.com/new/uploads/Dean_FoxCatalog_scan.jpg[/img] Nealer [img]https://www.ocscottie.com/new/uploads/Nealer_FoxCatalog_Scan.jpg[/img] The Bay Area Boys [img]https://www.ocscottie.com/new/uploads/Nealer_FoxCatalog_Scan2.jpg[/img]
Check out these LOL from the '85 Fox Catalog

Deano

Nealer

The Bay Area Boys
I didn't meet Dean, till he had a fro and was "buffed".....ahem.
ecavaliere
Fantasy
1356th
10/11/2011 5:14pm
ecavaliere wrote:
I do remember the Matson/Pascarella brawl! Funny I can't remember what I had for dinner last night but I remember a TON about the mini racing...
I do remember the Matson/Pascarella brawl! Funny I can't remember what I had for dinner last night but I remember a TON about the mini racing days. I remember Huron having a really cool starting gate that could mechanically raise back up. That was the first concrete starting pad I ever remember using. What I don't remember is whether or not is was a Trans Cal or Golden State race ... I also remember holeshotting my second moto and leading about a lap before Mike Healy, all the Team Green guys and R&D guys went blasting past! I ended up in the midpack which is about where usually ended up.
ocscottie wrote:
Man, your name sounds real familiar (in the admin panel i can see full names B) What year and class was that? i think you raced...
Man, your name sounds real familiar (in the admin panel i can see full names Cool
What year and class was that? i think you raced against my brother! Chris Stewart you name rings a bell.

Ricky's dad made him this piece of carpet with 2 big metal hooks at the front that would hook on the front of the concrete pad and he had a perfect carpet launch pad for the Huron concrete start. That didnt last long though lol
My name is Eric Cavaliere, I raced 9-11 Intermediate in '81 & '82, 125 Intermediate in '84 (my last real year). We had a nice box van and a real nice setup with my dad being a Yamaha guy, the only thing missing was me having speed to run up front! I'm pretty sure you were still on a 60 when I was on 80's, then when you were on 80's I was on a 125. I moved up to 125's at 13 years old, I was almost 6ft tall by then. I remember battling with Mike Young quite a bit back then, I think I still have photos of us at Huron on a rainy day.
ocscottie
10/11/2011 5:15pm
Me and Dean, Check out Deano sitting there on his trick white YZ's in '82 that George flew in from AUS (he was a pilot)

machine
10/11/2011 5:17pm
ocscottie wrote:
He wasnt half as bad as Mikey Youngs dad! I remember watching a Muhammad Allli fight in their motorhome at Baylands lol Mikey came in after...
He wasnt half as bad as Mikey Youngs dad! I remember watching a Muhammad Allli fight in their motorhome at Baylands lol

Mikey came in after having a bad moto, his dad at the side of the track yelling at him EVERY lap, threw his bike down and ran after his dad screaming, "i dont want to do this anymore!" he was about 12 years old at the time! Linda his mom was such a sweetheart.
Allan told me one time he was doing this one jump and Ricky was afraid to do it and Ricky's dad told Ricky, "Allan's doing it, what's the matter with you, you little wimp."

Not good parenting in my book.......
Sondy132001
10/11/2011 5:19pm
There was Eddie hicks also right that rode the DG suzuki with the humminbird throttle LOL
Todd Hickks ?? Eddie Hicks was from So Cal actually, but I could be wrong haha

S
machine
10/11/2011 5:19pm
ocscottie wrote:
Me and Dean, Check out Deano sitting there on his trick white YZ's in '82 that George flew in from AUS (he was a pilot) [img]https://www.ocscottie.com/new/uploads/Me_HH_82.jpg[/img]...
Me and Dean, Check out Deano sitting there on his trick white YZ's in '82 that George flew in from AUS (he was a pilot)

What's Dean doing these days?
Sondy132001
10/11/2011 5:21pm Edited Date/Time 10/11/2011 5:22pm
Hey Scottie do you see Todd Hicks ?? Next time you talk to him ask him about his 80's dance moves with Launi and I, it's so fucking funny !! Kurt Pingle was quiet and dreamy Wink Deans in Vegas, with his own clothing line Varni Clothing ??

S
ocscottie
10/11/2011 5:25pm
ecavaliere wrote:
My name is Eric Cavaliere, I raced 9-11 Intermediate in '81 & '82, 125 Intermediate in '84 (my last real year). We had a nice box...
My name is Eric Cavaliere, I raced 9-11 Intermediate in '81 & '82, 125 Intermediate in '84 (my last real year). We had a nice box van and a real nice setup with my dad being a Yamaha guy, the only thing missing was me having speed to run up front! I'm pretty sure you were still on a 60 when I was on 80's, then when you were on 80's I was on a 125. I moved up to 125's at 13 years old, I was almost 6ft tall by then. I remember battling with Mike Young quite a bit back then, I think I still have photos of us at Huron on a rainy day.
Huron rainy day? 81 Golden State was wet. Was it that day? Man i was so bummed i cried when Mikey moved to SoCal.

If i can get my brothers albums it has all the results sheets from every race cut out and everything, my mom was rad.

What color was your box van? was your name on the side? Its killin me, i can almost picture it, your last name so familiar.
ocscottie
10/11/2011 5:28pm
Hey Scottie do you see Todd Hicks ?? Next time you talk to him ask him about his 80's dance moves with Launi and I, it's...
Hey Scottie do you see Todd Hicks ?? Next time you talk to him ask him about his 80's dance moves with Launi and I, it's so fucking funny !! Kurt Pingle was quiet and dreamy Wink Deans in Vegas, with his own clothing line Varni Clothing ??

S
Hey Silly, i gave you Deanos email addy awhile back and we had a good laugh over his website. I havent seen Todd in ages, been meaning to email him for a long time and just havent, got a funny story for you about him too, when me, Nealer and our chicks lived together, do you recall me telling you what i did for a living back then? Blink
ocscottie
10/11/2011 5:30pm
machine wrote:
Allan told me one time he was doing this one jump and Ricky was afraid to do it and Ricky's dad told Ricky, "Allan's doing it...
Allan told me one time he was doing this one jump and Ricky was afraid to do it and Ricky's dad told Ricky, "Allan's doing it, what's the matter with you, you little wimp."

We need to get Scott Brown in on some of this bench racin! he is around here, but havent seen him in awhile, now that was a mini dad! The all time worst might be Kyle Lewis dad, imagine a clutch cable, instead of a belt.
Sondy132001
10/11/2011 5:31pm
Hey Scottie do you see Todd Hicks ?? Next time you talk to him ask him about his 80's dance moves with Launi and I, it's...

S
ocscottie wrote:
Hey Silly, i gave you Deanos email addy awhile back and we had a good laugh over his website. I havent seen Todd in ages, been...
Hey Silly, i gave you Deanos email addy awhile back and we had a good laugh over his website. I havent seen Todd in ages, been meaning to email him for a long time and just havent, got a funny story for you about him too, when me, Nealer and our chicks lived together, do you recall me telling you what i did for a living back then? Blink
Silly Machine asked what Dean was up to, I was just being lazy and added it to your thread haha Dude you need to call me later tonight and let's catch up I am tired of typing Woohoo I'm outie headed home, I'm house sitting and watching two great danes, Scout and Atticus, I'll be couching it !!

S
ocscottie
10/11/2011 5:35pm
ok i am taking a break...i havent eaten a thing today, my stomach hates me,,,.sure has been fun!
machine
10/11/2011 5:38pm

S
Holy crap, you mean this.........http://www.deanvarni.com/ .......wow, just wow
machine
10/11/2011 5:39pm
machine wrote:
What's Dean doing these days?
ocscottie wrote:
http://deanvarni.com/ :woohoo: (turn your sound down, music is loud on his site) His site hasnt been updated in YEARS! [img]http://deanvarni.com/images/press/vegas_2004_page.jpg[/img]
http://deanvarni.com/ Woohoo (turn your sound down, music is loud on his site) His site hasnt been updated in YEARS!

Damn you Scottie, your always one step ahead......Pinch
machine
10/11/2011 5:41pm
machine wrote:
Allan told me one time he was doing this one jump and Ricky was afraid to do it and Ricky's dad told Ricky, "Allan's doing it...

ocscottie wrote:
We need to get Scott Brown in on some of this bench racin! he is around here, but havent seen him in awhile, now [i]that[/i] was...
We need to get Scott Brown in on some of this bench racin! he is around here, but havent seen him in awhile, now that was a mini dad! The all time worst might be Kyle Lewis dad, imagine a clutch cable, instead of a belt.
Shocked
RandyS
10/11/2011 5:42pm
ocscottie wrote:
The was the Santa Clara PAL when it moved over to Great America Prkwy [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/405/photos/25527/s780_130277500_1270527632.jpg[/img] ok i have GOT to get some work done!
The was the Santa Clara PAL when it moved over to Great America Prkwy

ok i have GOT to get some work done!
I drove down GA Parkway last week for the first time in a dozen years or more. Sad. No evidence it even ever existed, in fact if you didn't know where Great America was you'd miss it.
RandyS
10/11/2011 6:01pm
ecavaliere wrote:
I'm "from" Vacaville as well - my dad owned a Yamaha dealership there, VacaValley Yamaha, for a short time. I'm really enjoying this thread! Fun to...
I'm "from" Vacaville as well - my dad owned a Yamaha dealership there, VacaValley Yamaha, for a short time. I'm really enjoying this thread! Fun to hear all the old names, I grew racing moto with most if not all the names mentioned here. I will remind you that Mike Pascarella was also from Vacaville, he lived right up the street from me. His son, Joey, is the real deal as a road racer, and I believe they are still living in "V-town".
RandyS wrote:
I totally forgot about Pascarellas, I used to go to the BMX races with them. Mike and Robbie both live in VV again I think. I...
I totally forgot about Pascarellas, I used to go to the BMX races with them. Mike and Robbie both live in VV again I think. I believe one of them has their grandparents house on Midway now. Did you live by the house on Cantelow or in town? I lived in VV 1970-85, my last relative moved away 5 years ago. I remember your dads shop but that was after I was gone
ecavaliere wrote:
I lived about a mile down the road on the opposite side of Cantelow - 5 acre lot. My dad had the shop from '82 to...
I lived about a mile down the road on the opposite side of Cantelow - 5 acre lot. My dad had the shop from '82 to '84, rough time to open a business. My dad worked for Yamaha Corp. for 20 years prior to that. Pascarellas were just getting serious about moto about the time we were exiting. I remember their garage being FULL of Italjet minis, YZ 60's and then KX80's. The other place we used to practice was a place called the "Sewer Ponds" near Markham Elementary School - sand whoops for miles!
Maybe I don't remember the shop, I was still there in the early 80s. But I didn't ride much from 78 to the mid 80s. I do remember a shop over by the rock shop off Leasure Town but I think that was later. I missed the sewer ponds days but I had a track at my house in the good part of Allendale(if there is such a thing), Greg Bonovich had a track at his over by you, Billy Carlson had one across the street from his house in town, and a few times I got to ride David Woods track(he lives around the corner from me in Grass Valley now). And then endless sun up to sundown at Argyle. Markham, lol. Hands down best playground ever, lawyers would be lining up at the gate there today.
slipdog
10/11/2011 7:56pm
Now that I'm finished in the shop I want to address the orignal topic a little. I think part of the reason that you don't see many rider coming out of Nor-Cal in recent years is because the quality of the tracks we have don't support top level racers. The only places to practice are organized ride days at the local tracks and the problem with that is they never get rough. There was a time where everyone knew of a few riding spots to go to and the more they got ridden on the rougher and more technical they got. There were no tractors, no water trucks, you just unloaded and pounded laps or worked on technique. Thanks to urban sprawl those places dried up and now we're left with butter smooth tracks that anyone can go fast on if they just have the sack to twist the throttle.

I understand that the track promoters can't build super rough pro caliber tracks because their business is dictated by the customer base which is mostly the average joe, but I think you would have a hard time raising an olympic skier if all your training was done on the bunny slopes. It is not my intention to bash on any one racetrack or promoter it's just my take on part of the reason Nor-Cal dosen't produce talent like it use to.
machine
10/11/2011 8:28pm
slipdog wrote:
Now that I'm finished in the shop I want to address the orignal topic a little. I think part of the reason that you don't see...
Now that I'm finished in the shop I want to address the orignal topic a little. I think part of the reason that you don't see many rider coming out of Nor-Cal in recent years is because the quality of the tracks we have don't support top level racers. The only places to practice are organized ride days at the local tracks and the problem with that is they never get rough. There was a time where everyone knew of a few riding spots to go to and the more they got ridden on the rougher and more technical they got. There were no tractors, no water trucks, you just unloaded and pounded laps or worked on technique. Thanks to urban sprawl those places dried up and now we're left with butter smooth tracks that anyone can go fast on if they just have the sack to twist the throttle.

I understand that the track promoters can't build super rough pro caliber tracks because their business is dictated by the customer base which is mostly the average joe, but I think you would have a hard time raising an olympic skier if all your training was done on the bunny slopes. It is not my intention to bash on any one racetrack or promoter it's just my take on part of the reason Nor-Cal dosen't produce talent like it use to.
Don't forget, Cali is very litigious, that's another reason why the tracks have become so tame there. My riding improved a bunch when I moved back here where the big jumps are.
Clutchy
10/11/2011 8:32pm
Uncleof2 wrote:
Are you kidding me. How about the current SX/MX/MXDN Champion born in a Northern California town called Fortuna. Same town his mom and his uncle were...
Are you kidding me. How about the current SX/MX/MXDN Champion born in a Northern California town called Fortuna. Same
town his mom and his uncle were born. Also, same town previous mentioned Pat Richter was from, just a few hours from oscottie on the coast. Northern California owns the building. Go RV1Woohoo
Okay so one really really fast guy..................Blush

Pretty bad when I've had family in Fortuna and Carlotta for 25yrs......Silly

Post a reply to: Northern California has left the building.....

The Latest