Northern California has left the building.....

2/1/2024 2:21pm
This thread has been great, a couple more names from the way back machine I didn't catch, Jim Turner, Danny Turner, not just Billy Grossi, but...
This thread has been great, a couple more names from the way back machine I didn't catch, Jim Turner, Danny Turner, not just Billy Grossi, but Bob, too, Bill Johnson, my buddy Rich Wilson. The Labor Day races at Argyll had a real north south battle feel to them for a couple years. It was a great time to grow up moto, especially in the coastal hills tracks in winter and spring. Didn't keep up with it much after the early 80's

I holeshotted Grossi in 79' or 80' at Dixon, it lasted less than a lap and he flew by me, great memories lol

MxMickyV
2/1/2024 7:58pm
It's my old room mate Slippy, but I will let him give you his name ! Oh he was a fast Pro too.

S
BobbyM wrote:
mv?
Nah not Vickers...Hey Clutchy I'm a hard core Nor Cal person, I spent many a races all over Nor Cal, a lot of my friends were...
Nah not Vickers...Hey Clutchy I'm a hard core Nor Cal person, I spent many a races all over Nor Cal, a lot of my friends were up there that I grew up with so I'd be up there just as much as down here. Doreen Payne was my best friend, along with Tammy Graham and was it Trina Vohland (Tyson & Tallon's sis) ??, MB and I dated for over a year, hence I hung out with Spud & Casey Johnson, Turtle Wikoff, I loved driving the water truck at E-Street !! All the promoters up there I have mad respect for they work their asses off and I like to think they are all good friends too.

S

Thats right BobbyM! 

MxMickyV
2/1/2024 8:18pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2024 8:25pm
BobbyM wrote:
mv?
Nah not Vickers...Hey Clutchy I'm a hard core Nor Cal person, I spent many a races all over Nor Cal, a lot of my friends were...
Nah not Vickers...Hey Clutchy I'm a hard core Nor Cal person, I spent many a races all over Nor Cal, a lot of my friends were up there that I grew up with so I'd be up there just as much as down here. Doreen Payne was my best friend, along with Tammy Graham and was it Trina Vohland (Tyson & Tallon's sis) ??, MB and I dated for over a year, hence I hung out with Spud & Casey Johnson, Turtle Wikoff, I loved driving the water truck at E-Street !! All the promoters up there I have mad respect for they work their asses off and I like to think they are all good friends too.

S
MxMickyV wrote:

Thats right BobbyM! 

Talk about plunging up some old shit! This the first time I noticed it.  Sondra, Vohlands sis is Terina for the record. Tom Vohland passed away a while back. Tyson is still around but not doing much. Living at Tallons house in GB last I heard. 

Boggins
2/1/2024 8:23pm

Didnt read the 12 pages, sorry if it was mentioned....

How about Ricky Ryan, Daytona winner as a privateer!   

Miss  Hangtown, Dixon, Sears Point, Marysville (E Street),Carnegie, and more

The Shop

2/2/2024 7:46am

S
MxMickyV wrote:

Thats right BobbyM! 

MxMickyV wrote:
Talk about plunging up some old shit! This the first time I noticed it.  Sondra, Vohlands sis is Terina for the record. Tom Vohland passed away...

Talk about plunging up some old shit! This the first time I noticed it.  Sondra, Vohlands sis is Terina for the record. Tom Vohland passed away a while back. Tyson is still around but not doing much. Living at Tallons house in GB last I heard. 

Tyson and Tallons grandma and grandpa did a ton of stuff to help those boys, it was a family affair. Back when the boys had Pro Cuircut and Team green help, they had bikes in crates in grandpa's garage that they sent off motors and suspension to be worked, kept them in rotation. It takes a family to keep all that going for a couple of pros. Tom was a tough man, I saw a dog on a leash try to bite him at a Yuba City Race and tom punched that dog, that dog stayed away from tom after that. Good family and good kids and nobody can diminish that for meSmile Max is on a Pro Cuircut Kawasaki and doing greatSmile

MC943
2/2/2024 10:26am
slipdog wrote:
Funny you say that, Tyson and I were just talking about that last week.....
Clutchy wrote:
2 questions, who are you and how is Tyson doing.

LAMAO Thanks got, there is still some funny people left on here ! 

GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
2/2/2024 11:13am
slipdog wrote:
Funny you say that, Tyson and I were just talking about that last week.....
Clutchy wrote:
2 questions, who are you and how is Tyson doing.
MC943 wrote:

LAMAO Thanks got, there is still some funny people left on here ! 

You know that post was made 12 years ago, right?

bigk218
Fantasy
3155th
2/2/2024 4:09pm

Not cal is to California what ny city is to up state NY

2/2/2024 4:29pm
bigk218 wrote:

Not cal is to California what ny city is to up state NY

NorCal is so much smaller population wise than SoCal, that I'll bet if all the fast guys from NorCal and all the fast guys from SoCal were tallied up and divided by population? NorCal would do really well? That would be cool to do lol 

And let's face it, in the 70's, 80's and 90's all the fast riders were from California period. Not anymore. All the manufacturers of race bikes and hop up shops, Donnie Emler, Mitch Payton to say a few are all in California. I know these posts are old, buts it's still fun to bench race? I'm not butt hurt, are you?

byke
2/2/2024 5:19pm Edited Date/Time 2/2/2024 5:36pm

Super fun thread and cool to see a bunch of old names I'd forgotten about. 

Also add Mike Gorda and Sean(Shawn?) Parks and I think his son. 

David Gassin too, in case he wasn't mentioned.

2/2/2024 5:36pm
byke wrote:
Super fun thread and cool to see a bunch of old names I'd forgotten about.  Also add Mike Gorda and Sean(Shawn?) Parks and I think his...

Super fun thread and cool to see a bunch of old names I'd forgotten about. 

Also add Mike Gorda and Sean(Shawn?) Parks and I think his son. 

David Gassin too, in case he wasn't mentioned.

Danny Turner, Larry Rippenkroeger, who went to Jet Skis on Kawasaki's and won numerous jet ski championships. He took me to my first race in 1973 and signed as my parents lol He was a fast 125 pro. Another one who's family of 5 kids and the parents put everything into Larry racing mx and it paid off. He just retired as Bruce Willis's stunt double among other greats. NorCal lol

byke
2/2/2024 6:08pm

Super cool! Bit before my time. About the furthest back I can remember is seeing Tyson Vohland's 1989 KX125 at a shop in Woodland. I was also at the infamous Hangtown mudder in '91 as a teen, unfortunately not really aware enough at the time to truly appreciate it. 

2/2/2024 7:57pm
byke wrote:
Super cool! Bit before my time. About the furthest back I can remember is seeing Tyson Vohland's 1989 KX125 at a shop in Woodland. I was...

Super cool! Bit before my time. About the furthest back I can remember is seeing Tyson Vohland's 1989 KX125 at a shop in Woodland. I was also at the infamous Hangtown mudder in '91 as a teen, unfortunately not really aware enough at the time to truly appreciate it. 

That's cool! I bought a Pro Cuircut, Team Green 1990 KX125 from Tallons Grandpa after he beat One of the French riders back in the day at a National. His grandpa had a VHS tape of Tallon pulling that dudes factory bike. It was the fastest 125 I ever rode/raced but I hole shot Billy Grossy at Dixon, Argyle Park, and held him off for a few corners lol

I was intermediate lined up with the pros and I flew past all of them, 40 rider gate on that ex-vohland KX125. I also lined up with the pros at west capitol raceway before I turned pro, Danny Turner,  Larry Rippenkroeger and Magoo. I hole shot all of them on my tm125. Magoo come flying by me in the first corner and punted me to the in zone, I got 2nd pro,  1st intermediate that night.  Magoo was do small that he had yo use milk crates to be able to hold his bike up on the starts lol Great stuffSmile

byke
2/3/2024 11:18am

Oh man, I loved those years. I remember thumbing through magazines drooling over the '90 KX's. Perimeter frame was like NASA tech at the time lol. 

I've got lots of miles at Argyll too. Lived most of my life about 25min from there, so it was the go-to for a long time. The ol' Campbell brothers sure were some interesting crusty old cowboys. I guess it was a sheep ranch before something was deregulated and ruined their business. 

John Stark was mentioned back on page 8 and I never knew him, but I did end up with his 1990 KX250 and it was a killer bike. Here's one from me on his bike at E Street from I think 1992, back when the Shad Pad was just a cool open riding area, save for a few weirdos that would live out there in their van haha.

2/3/2024 11:30am
byke wrote:
Oh man, I loved those years. I remember thumbing through magazines drooling over the '90 KX's. Perimeter frame was like NASA tech at the time lol. ...

Oh man, I loved those years. I remember thumbing through magazines drooling over the '90 KX's. Perimeter frame was like NASA tech at the time lol. 

I've got lots of miles at Argyll too. Lived most of my life about 25min from there, so it was the go-to for a long time. The ol' Campbell brothers sure were some interesting crusty old cowboys. I guess it was a sheep ranch before something was deregulated and ruined their business. 

John Stark was mentioned back on page 8 and I never knew him, but I did end up with his 1990 KX250 and it was a killer bike. Here's one from me on his bike at E Street from I think 1992, back when the Shad Pad was just a cool open riding area, save for a few weirdos that would live out there in their van haha.

Hell yes lol What class did you ride? And I was from Rio Linda lol

byke
2/3/2024 12:00pm

I was never fast enough to really warrant moving up from novice, maybe top five in a series race was about as good as it got, and probably do a little worse at the North/South showdowns. Always loved jumping things though. I raced amateur day at Arco before they started taming the tracks for amateurs and forced myself to hit the big finish line double. That was my measure for convincing myself that I didn't suck, was to make sure to hit the jumps that I probably shouldn't have been doing. 

Rio Linda, so what was your go-to, Riverfront, Sac Raceway? I bet you remember Sac Raceway when it was at the start of the dragstrip. Wish I had some photos from back then. It was a neat little track. 

2/3/2024 12:48pm
byke wrote:
I was never fast enough to really warrant moving up from novice, maybe top five in a series race was about as good as it got...

I was never fast enough to really warrant moving up from novice, maybe top five in a series race was about as good as it got, and probably do a little worse at the North/South showdowns. Always loved jumping things though. I raced amateur day at Arco before they started taming the tracks for amateurs and forced myself to hit the big finish line double. That was my measure for convincing myself that I didn't suck, was to make sure to hit the jumps that I probably shouldn't have been doing. 

Rio Linda, so what was your go-to, Riverfront, Sac Raceway? I bet you remember Sac Raceway when it was at the start of the dragstrip. Wish I had some photos from back then. It was a neat little track. 

Hey, you faced your fears and hit that double? That's tough for the first time lol Yeah, Riverfront was my favorite. I dated a girl that was best friends with the owners daughter from Sac Raceway lol I saw Big Daddy Don Garlets in a dragster at Sac Raceway, Governor Nationals. My brother had 2 1969 Charger 440's, one got towed by the other to go race there. Great times!

I didn't really learn how to jump big doubles until I was 45 and a 25 year old friend said,  follow me and just do what I do, it worked lol

It really is a confidence booster isn't it? 

Post a reply to: Northern California has left the building.....

The Latest