Noob with question

messycoyote
Since I was a small child I wanted to race mx. Well I never bought a bike. A few years ago I picked up a KLR stripped it down and ride it off rode. Now I am early 40's, my friend told me Im still young. I going to pick up a mx bike over the winter and start, learn and do a few races. I was looking at desert racing and getting an 250EXC, but I cannot get motorcross off my mind. I have to do the MX. What suggestions do you all have for bikes though. Not very experienced. I read 2strokes are easy and cheap to work on, 4 strokes are forgiving, i've had some say get a 450f of sorts, because of my size which will go down before I get a bike. Right now Im around 240 but plan on lowering that to 200-210.

suggestions and why....
|
10/9/2017 10:44am Edited Date/Time 10/9/2017 10:46am
I'm a bigger guy (250ish without gear) and I currently own a CR125 and a CRF450. I have also ridden lots of 250s and a husky 350. If you are going to get down to 200-210 you can probably get about any bike and it will be fine. It depends what kind of riding you want to do and how lazy you want to be haha, a 450 would definitely be a very easy bike to get around on without much effort and a 250 2 stroke would be right there as well, if the 250 2 stroke is too snappy you could put a flywheel weight on and tame it down some. Now you can get a 125 or 250 4 stroke but you will have to work harder to go fast. For some that's the fun part, for some that's more work than they want to do. It all depends on what you are wanting to do with the bike pretty much. A lot of guys on here will say you HAVE to have a 450 if you are over 200lbs and its just not true. Sure it helps having the extra CC's but it doesn't mean you cant ride a smaller bike.

Also as mentioned earlier ive ridden a Husky 350 and tbh if I was a vet guy that would be high on my list of bikes to consider because it kind of gives you the best of both worlds. They have enough power that you can just cruise around with ease but they can also be rapped out and ridden like a 250. All while being relatively lightweight and nimble feeling.

Just my $.02, hope this helps with your decision!
TJMX947
10/9/2017 11:16am
It really depends on your budget and what kind of value the bike will represent to you. If this is just a mid-life crisis that you will be over in a 6 months to a year that is a lot different than those of us who have been riding since we were kids.

When it comes time to purchase the bike don't get in over your head...if a bike looks like a project that means you'll spend so much time working on it and tinkering with stuff that multiple owners have screwed up and neglected for years.

IMO a 250F is the best bet for a true beginner as it will be fun and forgiving especially when you get on the MX track. What would you say your budget is?

MX Guy
Fantasy
668th
10/9/2017 11:19am
Honda two strokes sell like hotcakes for a good reason
Acidreamer
10/9/2017 11:20am
Buy whatever you want. Youre going to get an even mix of people telling you what they like. Personally im 250lbs and ride a 450 and have a blast doing it every weekend. Youre not going to be competitive over the course of the winter so the bike doesnt matter. If youre going to stay at 240lbs, and i say this because most people fall off the weight loss plans, get the 450 and be safe. A 250f with my fat ass on it struggles in prepped dirt. Just being honest.

The Shop

10/9/2017 11:23am
Buy a four stroke. I dont want to be mean but being a bit older riding a 4 stroke will be much more fun its all preferance. I good bike to buy is the CRF450 (the new one) they seem to be realiable and easy to get used to. Hope you figure it out and get to ride.
messycoyote
10/9/2017 12:30pm
Thank, I have decided on the 450 4stroke. Lets be real, I will only get down to 220 if I do anything at all, im pretty comfortable. Im looking at low 3k for price as the top, would like to stay as close to 3k as possible. I don't know if its more of a midlife thing or a bi-polar manic thing, have both going for me. Either way it'll be fun.
Acidreamer
10/9/2017 2:40pm
Now I just need to pick a color
3k pricetag is a 2009-2012 450 if you find a good deal and beat their price down. I believe kawi had the best bike in those years.

Post a reply to: Noob with question

The Latest