Nolan Heppner's Crash in Regina

Bigwave
Here's the Direct Motocross video of the #144 Nolan Heppner crash in ‪#‎Regina‬ this past weekend at Moto Valley. Some riders were docked 10 positions for jumping on the red cross flag (#15 Shawn Maffenbeier, #70 Brandan Leith, #17 Dylan Wright, and #35 Hayden Halstead, to name a few) but the debate is whether or not they even saw the flag before it was too late.

Maffenbeier won the moto but then found out he was to be penalized. Wright was 3rd. #18 Brad Nauditt was 2nd in the moto but took the win with the red cross penalties.

|
jlchapman117
6/27/2016 11:09am
In my opinion, if that many people jump on the Red Cross you probably did something wrong.
IceMan446
6/27/2016 11:19am
Piss poor flagging IMO

No one should have been docked, and not 10 damn spots!!!

shiftmx_22
Fantasy
708th
6/27/2016 11:27am
In my opinion, if that many people jump on the Red Cross you probably did something wrong.
Absolutely agree. The problem is, how do you fix it? It's easy just to say "get better flaggers". In a perfect world, every blind spot on the track would be covered with a competent flagger who is attentive all moto and eager to get in a position to be seen by oncoming riders. The reality is, this is rarely the case for whatever reason.

The part that sucks is that CMRC is trying to make an example of these guys with these huge penalties, which is great if riders are seeing the red cross and jumping anyways, but sucks when these penalties are being forked out due to less than ideal (or in this case crappy) flagmanship.
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
6/27/2016 11:39am
shiftmx_22 wrote:
Absolutely agree. The problem is, how do you fix it? It's easy just to say "get better flaggers". In a perfect world, every blind spot on...
Absolutely agree. The problem is, how do you fix it? It's easy just to say "get better flaggers". In a perfect world, every blind spot on the track would be covered with a competent flagger who is attentive all moto and eager to get in a position to be seen by oncoming riders. The reality is, this is rarely the case for whatever reason.

The part that sucks is that CMRC is trying to make an example of these guys with these huge penalties, which is great if riders are seeing the red cross and jumping anyways, but sucks when these penalties are being forked out due to less than ideal (or in this case crappy) flagmanship.
Flashing red lights on both sides of the jump faces, exit of corners etc. Have the locations figured out and printed on a track map for all riders to study where those locations are before the race.

The Shop

gt80rider
6/27/2016 11:40am
What was wrong with the flagging? Dude had the red cross waving before the guy was even finished bouncing on the ground, and later there were two guys standing in the middle of the track, if you can't see all that you deserve to get docked...
motomatt16
6/27/2016 12:16pm Edited Date/Time 6/27/2016 12:17pm
The way that corner was set up with how wide the track was and everyone using the outside there is no way anyone was going to see the flagger way on the inside like that
I raced there the day before and I know for a fact nobody would ever see that, also what happened to flagger getting in front of the downed rider and pointing everyone else away
6/27/2016 12:23pm
motomatt16 wrote:
The way that corner was set up with how wide the track was and everyone using the outside there is no way anyone was going to...
The way that corner was set up with how wide the track was and everyone using the outside there is no way anyone was going to see the flagger way on the inside like that
I raced there the day before and I know for a fact nobody would ever see that, also what happened to flagger getting in front of the downed rider and pointing everyone else away
Yup. I don't know what the flaggers are told or instructed to do, but good flaggers will take a few steps out on to the track and help block the rider and make their presence more aware. If he's instructed not to step foot on to the track he did everything he could.

Post a reply to: Nolan Heppner's Crash in Regina

The Latest