Noise really doesn't matter

Pdub
4/17/2007 5:07pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 2:49am
Can we stop pretending that noise "pollution" is the reason behind track closures?

Sure, that's what our opponents hang their beanies on NOW (along with increased traffic, dust mitigation issues and other crap), but the fact is that they JUST DON'T LIKE MOTORCYCLES. And they REALLY don't like people racing them.

I contend that if the OEMs were able to make racebikes COMPLETELY SILENT, we would still have to go to hearing after hearing to defend our right to ride.

Now, I'm not saying that we shouldn't put effort into bringing down the noise levels, but we shouldn't fool ourselves into believing that quieter bikes will shut the haters down.
|
mpy
4/17/2007 5:20pm
It's one of several reasons behind track closures, but it's probably the easiest to prove/measure. And I bet noise from the bikes irritates non-moto people the most.

And I think it's one of... or maybe the only item the manufacturers, FIM and AMA, can control. So yeah, something needs to be done about it.
Pdub
4/17/2007 6:08pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:54pm
mpy wrote:
It's [b]one of several[/b] reasons behind track closures, but it's probably the easiest to prove/measure. And I bet noise from the bikes irritates non-moto people the...
It's one of several reasons behind track closures, but it's probably the easiest to prove/measure. And I bet noise from the bikes irritates non-moto people the most.

And I think it's one of... or maybe the only item the manufacturers, FIM and AMA, can control. So yeah, something needs to be done about it.
mpy wrote:

Definitely the easiest to measure, and no doubt it irritates many.

But it's not the only one the OEMs and the sanctioning bodies can control. Image control should be the AMA's strongest hand, and the manufacturers used to spend plenty in that department. Making friends out of enemies and addressing hidden concerns should be as much a priority as mechanical solutions. There's a lot at stake for the OEMs, and they're already spending millions "selling" us on their products; they need to revisit their earlier efforts to "sell" the American public on the good aspects of motorcycling... AND motocross racing.

"You meet the nicest people on a Honda"... remember that?

But right now, they seem content to let the public image controlled by the X-Games and those purveyors of Monster Truck Madness...
MK 105
4/17/2007 9:19pm
I agree,

bottom line this is california, its not like it was in the 60's and 70's
camping, good times the good ol california way. the state is filled with tree huggers and people sueing each other over stupid things.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
4/17/2007 10:59pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:54pm
MK 105 wrote:
I agree, bottom line this is california, its not like it was in the 60's and 70's camping, good times the good ol california way. the...
I agree,

camping, good times the good ol california way. the state is filled with tree huggers and people sueing each other over stupid things.
And being filled to capacity.

My favorite is when people buy a house near a track, and then complain about the noise.

There's a reason that the house was such a "good deal."

The Shop

oldx
4/18/2007 11:19am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:54pm
MK 105 wrote:
I agree, bottom line this is california, its not like it was in the 60's and 70's camping, good times the good ol california way. the...
I agree,

GuyB wrote:
And being filled to capacity. My favorite is when people buy a house near a track, and then complain about the noise. There's a reason that...

My favorite is when people buy a house near a track, and then complain about the noise.

GuyB wrote:

Same thing when people buy under a flight path by an airport.
Back to original post, quite bikes is just one thing we can do to make it better.

Post edited by: oldx, at: 4/18/2007 6:20 PM
Cygnus
4/19/2007 8:16pm
MK 105 wrote:
I agree,

GuyB wrote:
And being filled to capacity. My favorite is when people buy a house near a track, and then complain about the noise. There's a reason that...

oldx wrote:
[b]GuyB wrote:[/b] [quote]And being filled to capacity. My favorite is when people buy a house near a track, and then complain about the noise. There's a...
GuyB wrote:

Back to original post, quite bikes is just one thing we can do to make it better.

If more track owners would build thier track in the boonies like me. Take care of the niegbors like me. they might not have so many problems. I am new at this but my nieghbors love me. I am giving the kid next door a summer job along with some more of the kids from the school when I hold races. be an asset to your community and all will benefit. Cali is gonna Kill us all.
KxRider86
4/19/2007 8:22pm
GuyB wrote:

oldx wrote:
[b]GuyB wrote:[/b] [quote]And being filled to capacity. My favorite is when people buy a house near a track, and then complain about the noise. There's a...
GuyB wrote:

Cygnus wrote:
If more track owners would build thier track in the boonies like me. Take care of the niegbors like me. they might not have so many...
If more track owners would build thier track in the boonies like me. Take care of the niegbors like me. they might not have so many problems. I am new at this but my nieghbors love me. I am giving the kid next door a summer job along with some more of the kids from the school when I hold races. be an asset to your community and all will benefit. Cali is gonna Kill us all.
in minnesota 79% of the population does not ride motorcycles, and 24% do. this is out of the 500,000 people we have..(I think)

Post edited by: KxRider86, at: 4/20/2007 3:23 AM
huck
4/26/2007 5:40pm
oldx wrote:
GuyB wrote:

Cygnus wrote:
If more track owners would build thier track in the boonies like me. Take care of the niegbors like me. they might not have so many...
KxRider86 wrote:
in minnesota 79% of the population does not ride motorcycles, and 24% do. this is out of the 500,000 people we have..(I think)Post edited by: KxRider86...
in minnesota 79% of the population does not ride motorcycles, and 24% do. this is out of the 500,000 people we have..(I think)

The track by me got closed because of dust! They said that the noise didn't bother them, but the dust did...
Mike Bierman
4/26/2007 9:03pm
Cygnus wrote:
KxRider86 wrote:
in minnesota 79% of the population does not ride motorcycles, and 24% do. this is out of the 500,000 people we have..(I think)Post edited by: KxRider86...

huck wrote:
The track by me got closed because of dust! They said that the noise didn't bother them, but the dust did...
We put silencers on motorcycles, back in the 70s, and still we had land closure.

I live in Orange county, California...we used to have approx., 10 actual race tracks...not practice tracks, but real racing. Today, we have only one race track in Orange county, and it is a 200 yard Oval, Speedway track.
paulmerritt
4/27/2007 5:01pm
KxRider86 wrote:

huck wrote:
We put silencers on motorcycles, back in the 70s, and still we had land closure. I live in Orange county, California...we used to have approx., 10...
We put silencers on motorcycles, back in the 70s, and still we had land closure.

I live in Orange county, California...we used to have approx., 10 actual race tracks...not practice tracks, but real racing. Today, we have only one race track in Orange county, and it is a 200 yard Oval, Speedway track.
There's a track over in Bartow, FL that's under the gun because of noise. It's in an industrial park and the closest houses are a few miles. Never had one noise complaint until a couple of years ago. There used to be only a few 4 strokes on the track, now there is only a few 2 strokes and the noise is crazy. To me though, most of the louder stuff is from the 4 wheelers, there's alot of 4 wheelers that ride there, and they are way louder than the bikes for some reason.
Mike Bierman
5/1/2007 9:55pm
huck wrote:
We put silencers on motorcycles, back in the 70s, and still we had land closure. I live in Orange county, California...we used to have approx., 10...

There's a track over in Bartow, FL that's under the gun because of noise. It's in an industrial park and the closest houses are a few...
There's a track over in Bartow, FL that's under the gun because of noise. It's in an industrial park and the closest houses are a few miles. Never had one noise complaint until a couple of years ago. There used to be only a few 4 strokes on the track, now there is only a few 2 strokes and the noise is crazy. To me though, most of the louder stuff is from the 4 wheelers, there's alot of 4 wheelers that ride there, and they are way louder than the bikes for some reason.
I agree, about the quads being louder...I was present, at the 4-stroke nationals, and the quad, class was at minimum, 8-10 decibles louder. The funny, part...the quad guys new it, and laughed !

All we can do is hope for those guys to learn how to balance, and buy a two wheeler.

I'd gladly give up a horse power, or two, if everyone else did the same...at least we will have a place to race for few more years.

What's next ?
Do we start racing those electric things ?
Pdub
5/2/2007 3:13pm

There's a track over in Bartow, FL that's under the gun because of noise. It's in an industrial park and the closest houses are a few...
I agree, about the quads being louder...I was present, at the 4-stroke nationals, and the quad, class was at minimum, 8-10 decibles louder. The funny, part...the...
I agree, about the quads being louder...I was present, at the 4-stroke nationals, and the quad, class was at minimum, 8-10 decibles louder. The funny, part...the quad guys new it, and laughed !

All we can do is hope for those guys to learn how to balance, and buy a two wheeler.

I'd gladly give up a horse power, or two, if everyone else did the same...at least we will have a place to race for few more years.

What's next ?
Mike Bierman wrote:
What's next ?

Bingo. So, where is the AMA on electric motorcycles?
sc961
5/4/2007 6:57am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:54pm
I agree, about the quads being louder...I was present, at the 4-stroke nationals, and the quad, class was at minimum, 8-10 decibles louder. The funny, part...the...

What's next ?
Pdub wrote:
Mike Bierman wrote:
What's next ?

No doubt there are a ton of \"image\" related problems we face being dirt bikers. We all know what people that don't own motorcycles think of us, and it's not usually very positive.

As far as noise troubles go, this is one that we have been struggling with in Minnesota. Almost all our district tracks have gotten complaints about noise in the past 12 to 18 months. Many of these same tracks have been around for longer than I have been racing, and I started in 1976 with no trouble to speak of in the past 30 years.

If you think noise isn't a major problem for us, my opinion is you are mistaken. It's important that we are able to show the local city govenments and neighbors to tracks that steps are being taken to lower the noise levels. At least at that point, even if they don't like it they understand something is being done.

As racers, many see little to no value in reducing the sound. Many have expensive exhaust systems and don't like the thought of leaving them in th e trailer.

Hopefull the manufacturers and after market people will get firmly behind getting the sound in line.
Pdub
5/4/2007 11:13am

What's next ?
Pdub wrote:
Mike Bierman wrote:
What's next ?

sc961 wrote:
No doubt there are a ton of \"image\" related problems we face being dirt bikers. We all know what people that don't own motorcycles think of...
No doubt there are a ton of \"image\" related problems we face being dirt bikers. We all know what people that don't own motorcycles think of us, and it's not usually very positive.

As far as noise troubles go, this is one that we have been struggling with in Minnesota. Almost all our district tracks have gotten complaints about noise in the past 12 to 18 months. Many of these same tracks have been around for longer than I have been racing, and I started in 1976 with no trouble to speak of in the past 30 years.

If you think noise isn't a major problem for us, my opinion is you are mistaken. It's important that we are able to show the local city govenments and neighbors to tracks that steps are being taken to lower the noise levels. At least at that point, even if they don't like it they understand something is being done.

As racers, many see little to no value in reducing the sound. Many have expensive exhaust systems and don't like the thought of leaving them in th e trailer.

Hopefull the manufacturers and after market people will get firmly behind getting the sound in line.
Here's my question: why isn't noise a problem for NASCAR? Or Formula 1? Or rock concerts?

My point is that the public will tolerate noise if they like what's causing the noise. Some of us don't like airplane noise, but we like cheap fares better. As a motorcyclist, I just feel that we need to address ALL of the issues that cause others to want to legislate us out of existence, not just one or two at a time.
sc961
5/4/2007 11:16am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:54pm
Pdub wrote:
Mike Bierman wrote:
What's next ?

sc961 wrote:
No doubt there are a ton of \"image\" related problems we face being dirt bikers. We all know what people that don't own motorcycles think of...

Pdub wrote:
Here's my question: why isn't noise a problem for NASCAR? Or Formula 1? Or rock concerts? My point is that the public will tolerate noise if...
Here's my question: why isn't noise a problem for NASCAR? Or Formula 1? Or rock concerts?

My point is that the public will tolerate noise if they like what's causing the noise. Some of us don't like airplane noise, but we like cheap fares better. As a motorcyclist, I just feel that we need to address ALL of the issues that cause others to want to legislate us out of existence, not just one or two at a time.
You are spot on, as you answered your own question.

Moto cross bikes are not an accepted type of recreation by the non motorcycle public.

Fair or not, \"we\" have to deal with that and try to make it work.

As you mentioned there are many other things to consider, but this is an area we can all have a direct positive impact on today.

Post a reply to: Noise really doesn't matter

The Latest