No asterisks please.

Anonymous (not verified)
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 7:07pm
Before some genius mentions any excuses regarding why the Dunge lost the title, remember what happened to him last year when he won. It didn't make me happy to hear him slighted. RV and his fans don't deserve it either. I suggest taking the high road and avoid becoming what you couldn't stand seeing in the Dungey haters.

|
DoctorJD
9/10/2011 7:30pm
Sorry. Through no fault of his own, Dungey took, at least, a 28 point deficit. He didn't crash, did nothing stupid, his bike just didn't work. I congratulate RV on his championship, he overcame some adversity of his own, but I have a hard time forgetting RD's bike quitting at Freestone, or the drama around Southwick. Both riders are fast as hell, and probably equal in ability. I hate that mechanicals decided the title.
MXD
9/10/2011 7:36pm
Neither deserve an asterisk but if either did, a bike running out of gas is more worthy than a guy shattering his leg going for it in a main event. One is a racing incident and the other is not.
RandyS
9/10/2011 7:55pm
There has never been an AMA motocross or supercross championship that deserved an asterisk and there never will be.
Mstock
9/10/2011 7:57pm
They are both millionares. They both won when it comes to life. That kinda matters.

The Shop

txmxer
9/10/2011 7:58pm
RandyS wrote:
There has never been an AMA motocross or supercross championship that deserved an asterisk and there never will be.
x2
500guy
RandyS wrote:
This
ocscottie
RandyS wrote:
el-bing-fuggen-go!
9/10/2011 7:59pm
Both are champs, to bad only one number 1 plate. These two will be going at it for a few years!
jonjon714
9/10/2011 8:16pm
It's a tough sport with many variables. I was rooting for Reed but he had misfortune too. Congrats to RV.
jmar
9/10/2011 8:23pm
RandyS wrote:
500guy wrote:
This
This

This. Cool
jeffro503
9/10/2011 9:10pm
MXD wrote:
Neither deserve an asterisk but if either did, a bike running out of gas is more worthy than a guy shattering his leg going for it...
Neither deserve an asterisk but if either did, a bike running out of gas is more worthy than a guy shattering his leg going for it in a main event. One is a racing incident and the other is not.
Having to go to the LCQ and getting taken out by back markers could be an excuse to. RV didn't qualify for one round.......and RD got tangled with another rider and his chain derailed. Both racing incidences .....but RD fans won't acknowledge that one either. Or what about when RV got hammered a at the start of the one national round , came from dead last to ninth?

Bottom line...THEY BOTH put in championship rides this year.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
9/10/2011 9:34pm
RandyS wrote:
Right.
mt798
9/10/2011 10:40pm
RandyS gets it!
9/10/2011 11:20pm
RandyS wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Right.
I'm with this.

Race track and field if you don't wanna deal withe mechanicals.

Dungey never once pulled the mechanical card and Reed never once complained about his bike or support.

The top three had big respect for each other.
wildbill
9/10/2011 11:44pm
Mstock wrote:
They are both millionares. They both won when it comes to life. That kinda matters.
I'm not religious but, I'm praying for you man.
72kiteboarder
9/11/2011 4:15am
It was a good Championship series and if Reed had not been ejected or RD had not run out of gas who knows what the results would have been. We can also not assume that the results would have been the same for RD by just adding the lost points. Had he not run out of fuel in Texas, he may not have had all the same results. He might have taken it a little easier and been closed on by RV and Reed. Probably not but you just cannot assume that nothing else would have changed.

Again, it was a great Championship and both riders raced a hell of a series!
9/11/2011 4:24am
It was a good Championship series and if Reed had not been ejected or RD had not run out of gas who knows what the results...
It was a good Championship series and if Reed had not been ejected or RD had not run out of gas who knows what the results would have been. We can also not assume that the results would have been the same for RD by just adding the lost points. Had he not run out of fuel in Texas, he may not have had all the same results. He might have taken it a little easier and been closed on by RV and Reed. Probably not but you just cannot assume that nothing else would have changed.

Again, it was a great Championship and both riders raced a hell of a series!
RV put himself in the best position to win the title. He hired the undefeated trainer......he hired the best mechanic, the best goggle guy and he put his bike on the podium the most.....he made his own luck as RC would say.....he surrounded himself with the best people....
burnside
9/11/2011 5:08am Edited Date/Time 9/11/2011 5:09am
Regardless of what happened earlier in the season, after the way RV rode in the first moto yesterday (well, the last 2 races), I don't see how anyone can dispute the 2011 champ. It's not like he played it safe, he rode like a true champ and claimed it. He crushed Dungey's title hopes when it mattered, 3 motos in a row & 'straight up'. Yes Dungey got unlucky, but he had the opportunity to turn it around and RV stole it from him. RV pulled off what Dungey needed to pull out of the bag IMO.
Motodude
9/11/2011 5:23am
Asterisk! No RC, no Bubba, No CR on a 2 smoker. asterisk title.

JK!!!! congrats to RV.
`ol Ger
9/11/2011 5:34am
The only legitimate asterisk I'm aware of is Vegas SX - 1995.
`ol Ger
9/11/2011 5:36am
"I didn't want to just go out there and ride today," said Villopoto. "I felt good in the first moto, and I went into the second just looking to stay out of trouble. We started off outdoors not very good, but we finally came around. It's been a tough year. If it weren't for (Dungey's) DNF at Texas, I would have come up a little shy (of the title). But, things like that happen. The turning point was at Unadilla, when we brought out our new bike. We made a lot of progress there."
9/11/2011 6:22am
Anonymous wrote:
Before some genius mentions any excuses regarding why the Dunge lost the title, remember what happened to him last year when he won. It didn't make...
Before some genius mentions any excuses regarding why the Dunge lost the title, remember what happened to him last year when he won. It didn't make me happy to hear him slighted. RV and his fans don't deserve it either. I suggest taking the high road and avoid becoming what you couldn't stand seeing in the Dungey haters.

Well said. Both Ryans deserve their championships. You can say Dungey got lucky last year with people being hurt/sick, and you can say Villopoto got lucky this year with RDs mechanicals, and both of those are bullshit. Both Ryans are true champions and instead of bitching about asterisks we should be thankful we have a competitive series instead of the almost 15 years of everyone racing for a DISTANT second behind either MC or RC or JS.
1-forty-8
9/11/2011 6:50am
The ginge did it. No matter what anyone says, he's the champion, if people have a problem with that then it's their problem not RV's. Dungey however, did make a believer out of me this year. I didn't expect him to be as close to RV as he was. So my hat's off to both Ryans, as people say above, they are both champions.

1 race left people.

Bring on the Nations.
karterron
9/11/2011 6:59am
Even with the bike issue at Freestone, the title was Dungey's to take with 2 rounds to go. He had momentum after Washougal and all he had to do was beat RV in the final 4 moto's and the title was his. He couldn't get it done and doesn't deserve the title. The rider that won when it counted also won the title, that's how it should be.

Dungey must be really proud with some of these idiot so called fans of his.
jndmx
9/11/2011 7:01am
RandyS wrote:
ocscottie wrote:
el-bing-fuggen-go!
X2

That's my new sig line......
1-forty-8
9/11/2011 7:02am
karterron wrote:
Even with the bike issue at Freestone, the title was Dungey's to take with 2 rounds to go. He had momentum after Washougal and all he...
Even with the bike issue at Freestone, the title was Dungey's to take with 2 rounds to go. He had momentum after Washougal and all he had to do was beat RV in the final 4 moto's and the title was his. He couldn't get it done and doesn't deserve the title. The rider that won when it counted also won the title, that's how it should be.

You said it dude.
broman64
9/11/2011 9:46am
karterron wrote:
Even with the bike issue at Freestone, the title was Dungey's to take with 2 rounds to go. He had momentum after Washougal and all he...

what a DA...
BMan-
broman64
9/11/2011 9:48am Edited Date/Time 9/11/2011 11:29am
1-forty-8 wrote:
You said it dude.
you too... I can't wait to hear the euro excuses after the MXDN...
BMan-

Post a reply to: No asterisks please.

The Latest