No Weight-Bearing SUCKS!! (Hip-Fracture)

Zullify
Edited Date/Time 11/14/2013 11:53am
Hey guys my names Brandon. I broke my hip on September 6th in a nasty slam to the ground at 40mph. I'm 15 by the way. I had surgery and had three screws put in. Went back to the doctor for my 2nd checkup two weeks ago and he said its still aligned but still to early to tell if it's healing. I go back to the doctor on December 11th. Hopefully it's healing. But I was just wondering if anyone else has been in this situation. It sucks so bad. Any suggestions on how to make it through it easier? (To be exact I had an intracapsular hip fracture)
|
11/13/2013 3:46pm
I've broken a lot of bones and have been down for many months at a time. The only advice I can give you is be patient and listen to your doctor. Don't try to bear weight before your doctor gives you clearance. Find something to keep yourself busy - a hobby (that doesn't involve walking), reading, studying, whatever... you need to keep your mind busy or you'll go crazy.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
11/13/2013 3:53pm
Been there. Had a broken tibia that the doc wouldn't allow any weight bearing on...not even to push the clutch on my manual transmission truck.

Take the time to heal right. You and your body will appreciate it much later. Like Temor said, listen to your docs.
Zullify
11/13/2013 4:01pm
I've broken a lot of bones and have been down for many months at a time. The only advice I can give you is be patient...
I've broken a lot of bones and have been down for many months at a time. The only advice I can give you is be patient and listen to your doctor. Don't try to bear weight before your doctor gives you clearance. Find something to keep yourself busy - a hobby (that doesn't involve walking), reading, studying, whatever... you need to keep your mind busy or you'll go crazy.
Man I'm almost to the crazy point. I really want to go back to school but another fall could be devastating. I haven't done anything I wasn't supposed to. I do my therapy, I eat right, and take multivitamins, it's just up to my body to heal. It just sucks not knowing if it's going to heal though. Since the hip is a low blood supply area, there's like a 20% chance for non union to occur. I just need to get my mind off of things.
Thanks man.
Crush
11/13/2013 4:24pm
Books and drawing bud! Hip injuries suck, dislocated my left, took 9 months till I was back to normal.

Rest up and read!!!

The Shop

Torco1
11/13/2013 4:53pm
Listen to your doctor on this. I'm 37 now and when I was 13 I broke my hip and was told no weight until they were able to determine if the blood supply was damaged. I spent 3 years on and off crutches, at one point I was on crutches for literally a full year. It sucked bad, my entire 9th grade was spent on crutches. It didn't end well for me anyway, I ended up having a hip replacement 10 years ago.
Tim507
11/13/2013 5:40pm Edited Date/Time 11/13/2013 5:41pm
I broke my left hip in 1989 (it was the same injury Bo Jackson sustained) Lost blood supply to the ball for sure as the film and scans showed the blood feed severed.........24 years later the there is very little loss of bone mass on the ball joint, no slop no pain.....the doctors do not understand!!

When they ask me what I think I tell them that all these years I have visualized that the ball is getting bloodSmile True or false I really do not care...the proof is in the X-rays and ScansSmile

Yes I followed the healing protocol layed out my the surgeon!
Zullify
11/13/2013 5:59pm
Tim507 wrote:
I broke my left hip in 1989 (it was the same injury Bo Jackson sustained) Lost blood supply to the ball for sure as the film...
I broke my left hip in 1989 (it was the same injury Bo Jackson sustained) Lost blood supply to the ball for sure as the film and scans showed the blood feed severed.........24 years later the there is very little loss of bone mass on the ball joint, no slop no pain.....the doctors do not understand!!

When they ask me what I think I tell them that all these years I have visualized that the ball is getting bloodSmile True or false I really do not care...the proof is in the X-rays and ScansSmile

My surgeon restricted weight bearing for 12 weeks. I've listened to him even though it's hard. I'm a sophomore in highschool and I did race. It's extremely difficult to just lay around and do nothing. Here are my x-rays.
JM485
11/13/2013 6:05pm
The waiting is the worst. When I was in 8th grade I ruptured my spleen in a BMX crash and had to sit out for 6 months. Luckily, I was still able to do day to day things, but if I were to have hit it again they would have had to remove it. I ended up just trail riding and not hitting any jumps after 3 months, but I waited to do anything serious for the full 6 months. Definitely don't rush the healing. I actually got really into building model cars to keep myself occupied, so maybe a hobby of some kind might help you out.
11/13/2013 6:15pm
It'll seem like an eternity. Especially at 15. It's slow and agonizing. But then almost out if nowhere everything starts to feel better and the ball keeps rolling.

August 30th My dad just had two surgeries from a broken tib and just today we went to doctor and he's allowed to put 50lbs of weight. Last week he was complaining it wasnt getting better. And then yesterday like snap everything started feeling better.

Be patient man. You'll turn around quick when you do. It'll just take a while to get to that point.
7eleven
11/13/2013 6:22pm
I pushed my femur through my pelvis on Oct 5th, it was a dislocation with a broken pelvis. 2 surgeries with 2 plates and 11 screws. No weight for 6 weeks, I was in the gym on Oct 12th working on my range of motion. The gym is my progression at this point, i have come so far in 4 weeks. I rode a spin bike on monday and tuesday for 45 min total...zero pain and no resistance on the pedals.
I'm a big believer in circulation, and if it doesn't hurt then I'm going to keep on going or I will lose my fucking mind!
I go back to the doctors tomorrow for x-rays and I pray that he allows me to start walking on it.
Get your ass in the gym, do everything you can to stay active. If your leg hurts or somethings bothering you with it, just do upper body exercises... this will help burn built up energy. Might as well get ripped why you're broken.
Zullify
11/13/2013 6:31pm
It'll seem like an eternity. Especially at 15. It's slow and agonizing. But then almost out if nowhere everything starts to feel better and the ball...
It'll seem like an eternity. Especially at 15. It's slow and agonizing. But then almost out if nowhere everything starts to feel better and the ball keeps rolling.

August 30th My dad just had two surgeries from a broken tib and just today we went to doctor and he's allowed to put 50lbs of weight. Last week he was complaining it wasnt getting better. And then yesterday like snap everything started feeling better.

Be patient man. You'll turn around quick when you do. It'll just take a while to get to that point.
About a week ago (this sounds weird, but it's true) whenever I would squeeze my butt it would hurt pretty bad where I broke it, but this week I can do it and feel no pain. I think that might be a good sign. But good luck to your dad!
ianhendry46
11/13/2013 6:45pm
I hate to tell ya man, but my best friend broke part of his pelvis, and it is still not healed and it has been 22 months. Now his was a way worse brake and his is also 28 years old. And I am currently.non weight bearing from a broken femur and knee surgery. Playing guitar has gotten me through those points when I was going crazy (I am going on three years total of non weight bearing with all my injuries combined) but I suggest learning to play a musical instrument or doing something with your hands. Sorry for your luck man, just keep up on all vitamins and calcium an protein intake and it will go by before you know,it. My longest non weight bearing period was nine months, I know the feeling.
Zullify
11/13/2013 7:04pm
I hate to tell ya man, but my best friend broke part of his pelvis, and it is still not healed and it has been 22...
I hate to tell ya man, but my best friend broke part of his pelvis, and it is still not healed and it has been 22 months. Now his was a way worse brake and his is also 28 years old. And I am currently.non weight bearing from a broken femur and knee surgery. Playing guitar has gotten me through those points when I was going crazy (I am going on three years total of non weight bearing with all my injuries combined) but I suggest learning to play a musical instrument or doing something with your hands. Sorry for your luck man, just keep up on all vitamins and calcium an protein intake and it will go by before you know,it. My longest non weight bearing period was nine months, I know the feeling.
I do play an instrument! I've been playing guitar for about 6 years! It does seem to pass time faster. But I do take my vitamins. And i think they're going to put me on a bone stimulator if it's not healing.
7eleven
11/13/2013 7:16pm
Why post buzzkill stories?...he's 15 and has a major injury, don't scare the poor kid!
Treat this injury like it's your number one priority in life, Focus on the rehab and do everything you can to help speed up the recovery.
Find a good physical therapist and pick their brain for information. Use every encouraging word you get to stay positive throughout this whole ordeal.
Injuries are the worst, but it comes down to your attitude and your actions to make the best of them.
The human body is an amazing machine and it can and will recover from mass destruction.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
11/13/2013 7:27pm
This past April 27th I broke my pelvis very bad, open book fracture in the front that was put back together with a steel plate, and my hips were so separated they had to put a titanium rod connecting one hip to the other, also broke 4 vertebrae. I was on a walker for 3 months and it sucked bad. BUT, one month after ditching the walker I was back to mountain biking, boxing and now 6 1/2 months after being injured I am back close to 100%. So moral to the story, do exactly what the doctor says to help your recovery along.

Good luck with everything!
jmc2
Fantasy
1679th
11/13/2013 9:13pm
Aquatic Therapy-Get a script from your physician and find a place that keeps the water at therapeutic temp and a therapist. There is quite a bit you can do in the water and get ROM and strength back, then progress to weight bearing status per physician orders.
The Rock
11/14/2013 12:10am Edited Date/Time 11/14/2013 12:13am
Tim507 wrote:
I broke my left hip in 1989 (it was the same injury Bo Jackson sustained) Lost blood supply to the ball for sure as the film...

When they ask me what I think I tell them that all these years I have visualized that the ball is getting blood True or false I really do not care...the proof is in the X-rays and Scans

Right on. Just more proof that the power of visualization is not a joke.

Brandon-Sorry you're going through this. For sure only focus on the desired result and don't spend a moment thinking about "what if?" You want it to heal, we all want it to heal and it is going to heal. Before you go to sleep at night picture yourself recovered and doing well. Think about your hip and all of the blood flowing there and healing your hip.

Best of luck and keep us posted!
Zullify
11/14/2013 5:31am
The Rock wrote:
[i]When they ask me what I think I tell them that all these years I have visualized that the ball is getting blood True or false...
When they ask me what I think I tell them that all these years I have visualized that the ball is getting blood True or false I really do not care...the proof is in the X-rays and Scans

Right on. Just more proof that the power of visualization is not a joke.

Brandon-Sorry you're going through this. For sure only focus on the desired result and don't spend a moment thinking about "what if?" You want it to heal, we all want it to heal and it is going to heal. Before you go to sleep at night picture yourself recovered and doing well. Think about your hip and all of the blood flowing there and healing your hip.

Best of luck and keep us posted!
Thanks I will!
VET74
11/14/2013 5:54am
Xbox and Domino's Smile Of course school work first, just in case the racing thing ends up not paying the bills. Wink
sclark309d
Fantasy
2061st
11/14/2013 9:56am
7eleven wrote:
Why post buzzkill stories?...he's 15 and has a major injury, don't scare the poor kid! Treat this injury like it's your number one priority in life...
Why post buzzkill stories?...he's 15 and has a major injury, don't scare the poor kid!
Treat this injury like it's your number one priority in life, Focus on the rehab and do everything you can to help speed up the recovery.
Find a good physical therapist and pick their brain for information. Use every encouraging word you get to stay positive throughout this whole ordeal.
Injuries are the worst, but it comes down to your attitude and your actions to make the best of them.
The human body is an amazing machine and it can and will recover from mass destruction.
Ignore the buzzkill stuff. It'll set you back. Your mind is as important as your body in your healing and rehab. I won't bore you with my own story except that I am in a similar situation.

You must be patient with yourself.
You must adjust your attitude every time it gets shitty - sometimes many times a day.
Read books.
Study up on something you want to learn to do.
Do the physical rehab they'll let you do only. Doctors do not like non-compliance.

Bottom line
Stay positive (even when you don't want to be)
Stay stimulated mentally
DO whatever rehab and physical activity you are allowed.
Stay positive.
WhiteTaco
11/14/2013 9:59am Edited Date/Time 11/14/2013 9:59am
I had a non weight bearing Tib/Fib break. After a month I was ready to kill the TV. I had my wife go buy me a cheap accoustic guitar and spent the next month playing tabs on Ultimateguitar.com. Made time pass faster, and was great exercise for the mind.
Renner153
Fantasy
3578th
11/14/2013 10:14am
Destroyed both of my feet October 28th. Looking at about 4 months in a wheelchair spent 18 days in the hospital under went 5 surgeries during that time. Have metal rode in both feet plus pins plates screws. Probably 6 months or longer before I can actually walk. Best advice I can give, honestly, suck it up and deal with it. Get outside and into town as much as you can. There are people a lot worse than we are. Just look forward to the day the dr tells you that you can walk.
SKIDLID
Fantasy
761st
11/14/2013 11:53am
Just coming off of 2.5 months of non weight bearing ankle and metatarsal injury. It seems like you will never make it through at first but you will get there. As said things could be worse. I was all bummed out one day and a friend came over and told me his cancer was back. He was telling people he knew goodbye. That woke me up! Find something to take up your time and try to exercise as much as they will let you, it gives you an outlet for your mind.

Post a reply to: No Weight-Bearing SUCKS!! (Hip-Fracture)

The Latest