Next big star

level
Who you think?

McGrath
Carmichael and Stewart
Villopoto
Dungey

Who you got next for 450 dominance next 5 to 7 years? Almost that cycle time again.
I am hoping Webb
|
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
9/6/2016 10:01pm
Well to critique your list there if Stewart should share a line with anyone it'd be Reed since they both have 2 SX championships. Carmichael had 5 in 6 years. Villopoto had 4 straight and Dungey had 3 in 7 years. Even though all of those riders are amazing only McGrath and Ricky had dominating eras. Maybe Villopoto too since he did 4 straight.

I don't know about the next dominance. It'd be hard for me to put anyone over Kenny right now.
BKoonts
9/6/2016 10:07pm
I think the list was made on chonology alone. Maybe I'm wrong.
9/6/2016 10:47pm
I don't know about the 450 class for 5-7 years , but that Forkner kid is a dead cert in my eyes, I first saw him at the MEC last year and the way he was trying to throw- push- drag the bike faster just stood out from everyone else in my eyes that night ( he looked a lot faster than the big boy class).
Then of course his recent performance at the go.
I just hope he can keep on track and focused , we are in for a treat as fans if he does.

The Shop

51xc
9/7/2016 1:43am
dungeys time is over?
kiwifan
9/7/2016 2:13am
if I was to choose, then Roczen but thats not to say Dungey's career is suddenly over
Plugga
9/7/2016 2:23am
I would say Faulkner.

Sad thing is there doesn't seem to be anyone from down this way coming through. ala Reed, Townley etc. Sad
struth
9/7/2016 2:39am
Plugga wrote:
I would say Faulkner.

Sad thing is there doesn't seem to be anyone from down this way coming through. ala Reed, Townley etc. Sad
Lawrence brother s (aus,)
Natzke (nz)
9/7/2016 4:58am
Webb is coming with factory Yamaha support...doesnt get much better.

I fully expect Austin to clean up the 250 class in a hurry.
Fearo
9/7/2016 5:05am Edited Date/Time 9/7/2016 5:05am
There will be a few new superstars, but I don't see an 'era' of dominance like we have seen in the past, anytime soon, perhaps ever again.

The best chance for that to happen would honestly have to be Herlings in Europe, but even there I don't really see it.
TheCRKid
9/7/2016 5:56am
Fearo wrote:
There will be a few new superstars, but I don't see an 'era' of dominance like we have seen in the past, anytime soon, perhaps ever...
There will be a few new superstars, but I don't see an 'era' of dominance like we have seen in the past, anytime soon, perhaps ever again.

The best chance for that to happen would honestly have to be Herlings in Europe, but even there I don't really see it.

I think the OP was asking about 450 SX and MX in USA
This is actually an interesting question

Roczen is in the exact same position as he was in 2014 at this time
Won AMA 450 nats , ready to kill it in SX
We all know how that turned out
Can he keep it going in 2017 or will Dungey step it up again ?
Dungey and Roczen are the two top guys right now
Tomac has the speed to run with and beat them both at times
has never shown the consistency, but that could change
Both Roczen and Tomac have quite a few years left if they decide to keep going
Dungey could retire when ever he wants, he has earned it, but seems to like racing and riding dirt bikes...
Musquin, Anderson and Seely have great speed and seem poised to raise up to the next level
Webb is a wild card, but does he actually have what it takes to run at the top level in 450 class
or is he just another 250 title winner amount the ranks , the class is full of them
karsmakers
9/7/2016 7:33am
Kenny will dominate for the next few years barring an injury
dirtnapper
9/7/2016 8:13am Edited Date/Time 9/7/2016 8:13am
karsmakers wrote:
I'm not sold on this.

When Kenny gets pressured ( like REAL pressure - not just one race, but over the course of a series ) I have a feeling he won't be able to take it as well as others have.

As for the OP's question, for me Webb is still a big ? mark for 450s....we'll see.

But for the small bikes, it is quite obvious that young Fork is going to be the guy that everyone is chasing.
EEE299
9/7/2016 9:12am
karsmakers wrote:
dirtnapper wrote:
I'm not sold on this. When Kenny gets pressured ( like REAL pressure - not just one race, but over the course of a series )...
I'm not sold on this.

When Kenny gets pressured ( like REAL pressure - not just one race, but over the course of a series ) I have a feeling he won't be able to take it as well as others have.

As for the OP's question, for me Webb is still a big ? mark for 450s....we'll see.

But for the small bikes, it is quite obvious that young Fork is going to be the guy that everyone is chasing.
Kenny can hold up to the pressure, but we have seen him as well stumble. I give props to RD for this. The dude doesn't seem to even be phased most of the time.

I think/hope the ET, KR, RD battles continue and there is no standout guy. I think Webb will mix it up too, but expecting a championship his rookie year... with this field is ridiculous IMO. Hopefully he took notes on Forkner's rookie year in the 250 class.
peelout
9/7/2016 9:15am
karsmakers wrote:
as much as i want to get on board with this, there's part of me that says Dungey will do what Dungey does... win a lot and win championships.

though i don't think he would have had anything for KR outdoors this season.

it all depends on how KR gets along on the Honda, which i think he will just fine. remember, he won like 2 of the first 3 races on his Suzuki before facing that triple.
9/7/2016 9:52am
This could almost be anyone really. Villopoto was not expected to be as dominant as he was. Not to mention Dungey. Cianciarulo was expected to dominate when he turned pro. Tomac looked like he took the step until that crash in Colorado. Who knows what Gajser turns into when he makes the move to US.
Anyway, I have to go with Forkner. Solid rookie season outdoors where he only got better. His opponents will have a hard time beating him in the future.
kkawboy14
9/7/2016 9:55am
karsmakers wrote:
peelout wrote:
as much as i want to get on board with this, there's part of me that says Dungey will do what Dungey does... win a lot...
as much as i want to get on board with this, there's part of me that says Dungey will do what Dungey does... win a lot and win championships.

though i don't think he would have had anything for KR outdoors this season.

it all depends on how KR gets along on the Honda, which i think he will just fine. remember, he won like 2 of the first 3 races on his Suzuki before facing that triple.
I wouldn't be surprised if this little tip over broken vert, messes with his mind.

Max Miller is my pick for up and coming
level
9/7/2016 9:59am
Oh shit can't believe I forgot about roczen. Brain fart.
Yes I think it's roczen time now.
Duh
9/7/2016 10:05am Edited Date/Time 9/7/2016 10:08am
level wrote:
Who you think? McGrath Carmichael and Stewart Villopoto Dungey Who you got next for 450 dominance next 5 to 7 years? Almost that cycle time again...
Who you think?

McGrath
Carmichael and Stewart
Villopoto
Dungey

Who you got next for 450 dominance next 5 to 7 years? Almost that cycle time again.
I am hoping Webb
None of the people you listed, except McGrath (with Ricky coming real close) showed 5-7 years of big bike dominance.

It's a tough sport on the body and mind. 3-4 years at the top is an amazing accomplishment.
Starcrossed
9/7/2016 10:30am
If I was guessing, Kenny wins two out of three championships which he is healthy for, over the next three years, with Tomac, Dungey, and Webb, taking what's left. When Forkner moves up, the dynamic will change.
peelout
9/7/2016 10:34am
level wrote:
Who you think? McGrath Carmichael and Stewart Villopoto Dungey Who you got next for 450 dominance next 5 to 7 years? Almost that cycle time again...
Who you think?

McGrath
Carmichael and Stewart
Villopoto
Dungey

I am hoping Webb
None of the people you listed, except McGrath (with Ricky coming real close) showed 5-7 years of big bike dominance. It's a tough sport on the...
None of the people you listed, except McGrath (with Ricky coming real close) showed 5-7 years of big bike dominance.

It's a tough sport on the body and mind. 3-4 years at the top is an amazing accomplishment.
i'd say RV winning 4 in a row is the absolute definition of dominant. but to each his own
mxb2
9/7/2016 10:40am
level wrote:
Who you think?

McGrath
Carmichael and Stewart
Villopoto
Dungey

I am hoping Webb
None of the people you listed, except McGrath (with Ricky coming real close) showed 5-7 years of big bike dominance. It's a tough sport on the...

peelout wrote:
i'd say RV winning 4 in a row is the absolute definition of dominant. but to each his own
X2,best racer since RC retired, rd5 is creeping up on records.
9/7/2016 10:42am Edited Date/Time 9/7/2016 10:45am
level wrote:
Who you think?

McGrath
Carmichael and Stewart
Villopoto
Dungey

I am hoping Webb

peelout wrote:
Of course, but the OP called for 5-7 years of "dominance", which is an over-the-top characterization of greatness,that even RC -- the Greatest of all Time -- didn't even fully lay down.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
9/7/2016 10:43am Edited Date/Time 9/7/2016 10:44am
731chopper wrote:
Well to critique your list there if Stewart should share a line with anyone it'd be Reed since they both have 2 SX championships. Carmichael had...
Well to critique your list there if Stewart should share a line with anyone it'd be Reed since they both have 2 SX championships. Carmichael had 5 in 6 years. Villopoto had 4 straight and Dungey had 3 in 7 years. Even though all of those riders are amazing only McGrath and Ricky had dominating eras. Maybe Villopoto too since he did 4 straight.

I don't know about the next dominance. It'd be hard for me to put anyone over Kenny right now.
MC is hard to rank as everyone else on that list and Roczen already are better outdoor riders than MC. RC is in a class of his own as all 5 of his SX titles were followed up with outdoor titles.
level
9/7/2016 10:45am Edited Date/Time 9/7/2016 10:47am
I think it's going to boil down to roczen dungey and tomac and throw Webb in mix in a few years to win some.
These 4 riders kinda of remind me of Carmichael stewart Reed and one other I'm missing.
I don't know if one is going to dominate out of this group. We got screwed as fans with outdoors to see what Dungey would of had for Roczen.
peelout
9/7/2016 10:47am

peelout wrote:
Of course, but the OP called for 5-7 years of "dominance", which is an over-the-top characterization of greatness,that even RC -- the Greatest of all Time...
Of course, but the OP called for 5-7 years of "dominance", which is an over-the-top characterization of greatness,that even RC -- the Greatest of all Time -- didn't even fully lay down.
ah good catch

yeah i don't see anyone doing what MC or RC did, Dungey definitely has the ability to do what RV did though

in my opinion he'll have to get past Roczen to do it, i think that kid is going to really go on a tear through championships for a few more years
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
9/7/2016 10:48am Edited Date/Time 9/7/2016 10:49am
level wrote:
Who you think?

McGrath
Carmichael and Stewart
Villopoto
Dungey

I am hoping Webb

Typical MC guy, forget the nationals exist. RC from 2000 nationals to the end of 06 MX won every championship he entered. The best MC did was 95 SX,MX then 96 SX and right after Emig won 96 MX and 97 SX,MX. 3 titles straight, get out of here with the SX only crap. 2000 to 06 is 7 years of dominance and lets not forget RC gave the 07 Nationals away.
9/7/2016 10:51am
level wrote:
Who you think?

McGrath
Carmichael and Stewart
Villopoto
Dungey

I am hoping Webb

Park Boys wrote:
Typical MC guy, forget the nationals exist. RC from 2000 nationals to the end of 06 MX won every championship he entered. The best MC did...
Typical MC guy, forget the nationals exist. RC from 2000 nationals to the end of 06 MX won every championship he entered. The best MC did was 95 SX,MX then 96 SX and right after Emig won 96 MX and 97 SX,MX. 3 titles straight, get out of here with the SX only crap. 2000 to 06 is 7 years of dominance and lets not forget RC gave the 07 Nationals away.
Totally missed my point, dude.

Post a reply to: Next big star

The Latest