New style Ford Transit Connect?

Spooner
Edited Date/Time 5/17/2016 2:30pm
Anyone have the 2014+ model? I am thinking about the 'wagon' version with the long wheel base as it has a full interior and 3 rows of seats but wondering if anyone has one and has put a bike in it. I usually ride along with my friends but it would be nice to be able to toss my bike in it a few times a year. I am thinking it could go in backwards as the second row folds down and forward but not flush with the floor so I don't think the bars would clear the ceiling if it was front facing. I would normally just pull the 3rd row out and only bolt them back in the couple times of year I would use them if ever so the front end I think would clear the ceiling. Anyways, anyone else have experience with these and moto?
|
11/25/2015 10:53pm
Can say anything about a dirt bike in there, but it sure is a good car (in this category) and the best comfort of all I have ever tried. I have done nearly 5000 km In a year in mine now. Smile

Cliffy615
Fantasy
2899th
11/26/2015 12:15am
I used to have the old high top one and you could fit 1 full size bike in the back, however the new one the roof looks to low for one to go in, the length isn't a problem (what the gf says hahaha)
Mr Happy
Fantasy
2561st
11/26/2015 4:01am
You can fit a bike if you strap the front end in upright and move the rear wheel to either side so the bike is laid over. There is only room for one bike, it's a pain to strap it down and there is little room left for tools or spares. The Transit Custom has a lot more room in the back, feels the same to drive and has the advantage of being wider meaning you can comfortably sleep across the front seats. I had a Mercedes Vito and it was awful, the only thing it has going for it is the badge, the Transit is a far better van.
blusmbl
11/26/2015 4:40am
Mr Happy wrote:
You can fit a bike if you strap the front end in upright and move the rear wheel to either side so the bike is laid...
You can fit a bike if you strap the front end in upright and move the rear wheel to either side so the bike is laid over. There is only room for one bike, it's a pain to strap it down and there is little room left for tools or spares. The Transit Custom has a lot more room in the back, feels the same to drive and has the advantage of being wider meaning you can comfortably sleep across the front seats. I had a Mercedes Vito and it was awful, the only thing it has going for it is the badge, the Transit is a far better van.
Unfortunately we don't get the midsize Transit custom here in the US, just the Transit Connect and the fullsize Transit.

Spooner- what about a regular Transit? The short wheelbase, low roof version isn't too large, and you can fit 2-3 dirtbikes behind the 2nd row of seats.

The Shop

Spooner
11/26/2015 6:18am
This will be my DD and I don't want to drive around something that big, getting nearly 30 mpg, easy to park, etc is important to me too. I found on the ford site they have max height and length for cargo and it looks like the bike might just fit. I need to measure the opening of the door as I think that will be the limiting factor. I think though if I was a couple inches short I could install a holeshot device on the forks to clear the door with. I'm not looking to buy super soon but I thought I'd see if anyone on here had actually put a bike in one. I've seen guys put street bikes in them but not dirt bikes.
Mr Happy
Fantasy
2561st
11/26/2015 6:51am
Spooner wrote:
This will be my DD and I don't want to drive around something that big, getting nearly 30 mpg, easy to park, etc is important to...
This will be my DD and I don't want to drive around something that big, getting nearly 30 mpg, easy to park, etc is important to me too. I found on the ford site they have max height and length for cargo and it looks like the bike might just fit. I need to measure the opening of the door as I think that will be the limiting factor. I think though if I was a couple inches short I could install a holeshot device on the forks to clear the door with. I'm not looking to buy super soon but I thought I'd see if anyone on here had actually put a bike in one. I've seen guys put street bikes in them but not dirt bikes.
I drive the Transit Custom daily and it's like driving my Ford Focus company car. In the real world the Connect won't manage a much better average MPG, my SWB VW Caddy didn't either, and if I can park and drive it in London, and various other European cities, then you'll be fine driving one in a country with roads designed for cars.

I've had a YZ125 and CRF250 in the Connect and the door opening was just large enough. The catch in the middle is annoying and you'll keep catching cables on it. Honestly, look at an L2H2 Transit. I've hauled bikes in all sorts of vans and with trailers, and a mid size van is the best compromise.
jamma10
11/26/2015 7:23am
Spooner wrote:
This will be my DD and I don't want to drive around something that big, getting nearly 30 mpg, easy to park, etc is important to...
Can always drop the forks in the clamps bro.
Spooner
11/26/2015 8:12am
Mr Happy wrote:
I drive the Transit Custom daily and it's like driving my Ford Focus company car. In the real world the Connect won't manage a much better...
I drive the Transit Custom daily and it's like driving my Ford Focus company car. In the real world the Connect won't manage a much better average MPG, my SWB VW Caddy didn't either, and if I can park and drive it in London, and various other European cities, then you'll be fine driving one in a country with roads designed for cars.

I've had a YZ125 and CRF250 in the Connect and the door opening was just large enough. The catch in the middle is annoying and you'll keep catching cables on it. Honestly, look at an L2H2 Transit. I've hauled bikes in all sorts of vans and with trailers, and a mid size van is the best compromise.
Is the custom the full size transit? They have different names here. I'm guessing they cost quite a bit more than the connect which is a factor as well.

And I'd much rather set a hole shot device then mess with the triple clamps every time I load up.
grunkster
11/26/2015 8:37am
I bought a blue Nissan nv200 with appearance and tech packages....no rear window. Bikes roll right in! Great little front wheel drive van have about 25k miles on mine now
Spooner
11/26/2015 8:41am
I thought about the NV but the transit is much more livable as far as having a full interior, 3 rows, etc. I have a son and will have another in the near future so I have to have rear seats. Plus I drive about 35k miles a year for work so I want it quiet on the highway and all that. If it was just me I'd do the cargo van and just do some sound deadening.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
11/26/2015 8:45am
I was thinking about the Transit Cargo but it gets 14mpg city/19 highway. The sprinters are much better!
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
11/26/2015 8:45am
grunkster wrote:
I bought a blue Nissan nv200 with appearance and tech packages....no rear window. Bikes roll right in! Great little front wheel drive van have about 25k...
I bought a blue Nissan nv200 with appearance and tech packages....no rear window. Bikes roll right in! Great little front wheel drive van have about 25k miles on mine now
How's your MPG? Any photos?
Mr Happy
Fantasy
2561st
11/26/2015 9:11am
Mr Happy wrote:
I drive the Transit Custom daily and it's like driving my Ford Focus company car. In the real world the Connect won't manage a much better...

Spooner wrote:
Is the custom the full size transit? They have different names here. I'm guessing they cost quite a bit more than the connect which is a...
Is the custom the full size transit? They have different names here. I'm guessing they cost quite a bit more than the connect which is a factor as well.

And I'd much rather set a hole shot device then mess with the triple clamps every time I load up.
The Custom is between the Connect and the Van. Unfortunately Ford don't import it in America.

The Mercedes Vito/Metris is awful and derided everywhere over here. It's also about to get worse as it is now platform sharing with the pretty terrible Renault Traffic/Vauxhall Vivaro/Nissan Primastar. I've owned a Vito, and my employer had one for a while, and they were nothing but trouble. My father's company had a couple of Traffics and they feel like dustbins to drive, everything is flimsy and the electrics constantly acted up. I've tried the Connect, Caddy and the Mercedes Citan and the only one I could live with on a daily basis was the LWB high top VW Caddy. Price wise a decent spec one is not far off a Transit.

Hyundai sell the iLoad, which is roughly the same size as the NV200, and the Mercedes Sprinter is a pretty good van which also shares its platform with the VW Crafter.
Spooner
11/27/2015 6:37am
Mr Happy wrote:
The Custom is between the Connect and the Van. Unfortunately Ford don't import it in America. The Mercedes Vito/Metris is awful and derided everywhere over here...
The Custom is between the Connect and the Van. Unfortunately Ford don't import it in America.

The Mercedes Vito/Metris is awful and derided everywhere over here. It's also about to get worse as it is now platform sharing with the pretty terrible Renault Traffic/Vauxhall Vivaro/Nissan Primastar. I've owned a Vito, and my employer had one for a while, and they were nothing but trouble. My father's company had a couple of Traffics and they feel like dustbins to drive, everything is flimsy and the electrics constantly acted up. I've tried the Connect, Caddy and the Mercedes Citan and the only one I could live with on a daily basis was the LWB high top VW Caddy. Price wise a decent spec one is not far off a Transit.

Hyundai sell the iLoad, which is roughly the same size as the NV200, and the Mercedes Sprinter is a pretty good van which also shares its platform with the VW Crafter.
Yeah you guys get way more cool vans than we get but they sure are gaining popularity here now as well.
lumpy790
11/27/2015 6:50am
I am just going to keep the Moto Hose v10 Box Van that gets 12 MPG with gas.
Zachintosh
12/11/2015 1:27pm Edited Date/Time 12/11/2015 1:27pm
grunkster wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/11/27/112734/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

Yep. The NV200 fits a dirt bike without issue. Here's proof:

Spooner
12/13/2015 9:56am
Finally got to a dealer yesterday to take a look. The door opening is 45" and my bike to the top of the hand guards is right at 50". I could easily remove the flags for the hand guards but I still would need about 3". A friend of mine has the same bike as me and he has a holeshot device so he's going to measure it for me compressed and see what that comes to. I think if I were getting the cargo model it would clear if you put it in front first but not rear first like I would have to do. One nice thing is there are two tie down loops at the back corners that you could put soft ties in. Took it for a spin too and it really drives great and feels much smaller than it looks.
flykay
5/17/2016 2:18pm
Spooner wrote:
Finally got to a dealer yesterday to take a look. The door opening is 45" and my bike to the top of the hand guards is...
Finally got to a dealer yesterday to take a look. The door opening is 45" and my bike to the top of the hand guards is right at 50". I could easily remove the flags for the hand guards but I still would need about 3". A friend of mine has the same bike as me and he has a holeshot device so he's going to measure it for me compressed and see what that comes to. I think if I were getting the cargo model it would clear if you put it in front first but not rear first like I would have to do. One nice thing is there are two tie down loops at the back corners that you could put soft ties in. Took it for a spin too and it really drives great and feels much smaller than it looks.
@Spooner, did you get to find out if you got the bike into the 2014+ Connect?

I am considering this as well. Just as you have written, you have to pull down the forks with tie down or holsshot device. Here in Europe we have a longer version (called L2) which just is perfect if I just can get the bike into the opening...
Spooner
5/17/2016 2:30pm
I never have put it in. I always ride with a buddy of mine so I can't say I tried super hard but I did try ratcheting down the front end and I couldn't get it low enough without trying super hard. I didn't have a great way to strap it down either which was part of the issue. Love the van otherwise though and I did just put a hitch on it as there are some races my buddy can't attend so I'll pull a small open trailer with it.

Post a reply to: New style Ford Transit Connect?

The Latest