New electric Yamaha mini bike ?

12/16/2017 6:10pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2017 6:51pm

Just noticed on Matt Walkers instagram
|
Jmicmoto13
12/16/2017 6:20pm
And the plot thickens. I guess we can love our ICE bikes but we need to embrace tech via electric bikes if it’s truly better. Guess we will find out very soon.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
12/16/2017 6:35pm
I’ve been wondering when this would come out. I think we are finally seeing the event horizon focus from ICE’s to electric development.
12/16/2017 7:02pm
No surprise.. and I'm noticing a trend towards catering eBikes specifically to the little kids. KTM is replacing the SX50 with a eBike, so not surprised that Yamaha is following suit. eBikes for kiddos were all the rage at the AIM Expo this year. Makes sense on so many levels.
12/17/2017 6:42am
The battery tech is already there for kid size bikes. For full size bikes it may be a bit, but I'm sure it will happen.

The Shop

jonesaustin
12/17/2017 6:48am
I know it's just a mini bike but the fact that any concept designer would allow this to leave the shop underlines how far we've gone in the wrong direction regarding styling. Honda knows what's up, KTM and Husky do as well, but the rest must have brought in new design minds who weren't exactly fans of the sport from way back. I guess those guys all retired. Yes - it's just a mini, but damn, at least make it look slightly appealing.
Jmicmoto13
12/17/2017 7:34am
I know it's just a mini bike but the fact that any concept designer would allow this to leave the shop underlines how far we've gone...
I know it's just a mini bike but the fact that any concept designer would allow this to leave the shop underlines how far we've gone in the wrong direction regarding styling. Honda knows what's up, KTM and Husky do as well, but the rest must have brought in new design minds who weren't exactly fans of the sport from way back. I guess those guys all retired. Yes - it's just a mini, but damn, at least make it look slightly appealing.
So how does one “know what’s up?” It’s not personal preference?
Fourth_Floor
12/17/2017 9:17am
I know it's just a mini bike but the fact that any concept designer would allow this to leave the shop underlines how far we've gone...
Wow....
12/17/2017 9:34am
Jmicmoto13 wrote:
By asking jonesaustin what he likes and accepting his personal preference as a universal fact maybe?
Jmicmoto13
12/17/2017 9:50am
Jmicmoto13 wrote:
Sheriff245 wrote:
By asking jonesaustin what he likes and accepting his personal preference as a universal fact maybe?
Got it. Thanks for the direction friend. Cool
12/17/2017 9:56am
Dont you dare state your opinion on here sir....passion is not allowed.
We got rules to follow round these parts.
12/17/2017 10:30am
Theres like zero difference between this and a razor bike.
SEE ARE125
12/17/2017 10:40am
Probably like $1,500 difference. lol
MX Guy
Fantasy
773rd
12/17/2017 10:41am Edited Date/Time 12/17/2017 10:43am
Razor = USA
Yamaha = Japan
Jmicmoto13
12/17/2017 10:44am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
He obviously meant aesthetically as there are no details available. What would you guesstimate an electric PW equivelant would go for? $2,200 - $2,500?
SEE ARE125
12/17/2017 11:29am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Jmicmoto13 wrote:
He obviously meant aesthetically as there are no details available. What would you guesstimate an electric PW equivelant would go for? $2,200 - $2,500?
I know, I was just joking. Obviously the Yamaha would be a superior product to a Razor. Comparing an Alta to a YZ250F price wise, and the 2018 PW50 with a $1,499 MSRP, I would say $2,200-$2,500 is somewhere in the ballpark. However, I think since it is a mini as opposed to a full sized bike and it looks like they carried over some stuff from the original PW50, that Yamaha might try to keep it close to or under $2k? I really have no idea.
Bradj70
12/17/2017 3:48pm
No surprise.. and I'm noticing a trend towards catering eBikes specifically to the little kids. KTM is replacing the SX50 with a eBike, so not surprised...
No surprise.. and I'm noticing a trend towards catering eBikes specifically to the little kids. KTM is replacing the SX50 with a eBike, so not surprised that Yamaha is following suit. eBikes for kiddos were all the rage at the AIM Expo this year. Makes sense on so many levels.
Yes! It really does seem to be a perfect fit for our little ones. They can start on a map able adjustable clutch less, shift less bike to just focus on the fundamentals of riding. I'm really considering getting a Razor of all things for my boys first "dirt bike" I just don't like that it has no suspension, but figured some flat semi hard pack dirt with a razor would be a great start for him. I still think that the big bikes are going to be on teh ICE platform for probably another 5yrs until Alta and other companies find ways of making the Electiric moto bike competive at the pro level
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
12/17/2017 4:20pm Edited Date/Time 12/17/2017 4:25pm
I wonder if Yamaha will come out with an electric 65?

They have a pretty good track record of aggressive innovative offerings.
Jmicmoto13
12/17/2017 5:33pm
Thats a sweet little bike that looks right. Be hard not to jump on one of those.
And the price doesn’t seem outrageous for a niche Beta product.
MBR
12/17/2017 8:17pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2017 8:27am
Old news, this Yamaha mini e-bike concept and also Walker's photo is from 2013 EICMA show. But that is not the most interesting part as Yamaha then also introduced a full size motocross e-bike concept that was called "PED1". Was that a sign of times to come?Grinninghttps://gas2.org/2013/11/14/yamaha-electric-ecosystem/
#RZRNick
12/17/2017 9:09pm
Really liking my 2 year old's Ride Staycyc. We ride it several times per week in the neighborhood, at the local park and it's enabled him to get a lot of seat time, and not piss off the neighbors. I'm excited for these options and anyone with a good size yard or nearby dirt lot could have Jr. pounding laps instead of watching Minions.
Lightning78
12/17/2017 9:29pm
No surprise.. and I'm noticing a trend towards catering eBikes specifically to the little kids. KTM is replacing the SX50 with a eBike, so not surprised...
Bradj70 wrote:
Yes! It really does seem to be a perfect fit for our little ones. They can start on a map able adjustable clutch less, shift less...
Yes! It really does seem to be a perfect fit for our little ones. They can start on a map able adjustable clutch less, shift less bike to just focus on the fundamentals of riding. I'm really considering getting a Razor of all things for my boys first "dirt bike" I just don't like that it has no suspension, but figured some flat semi hard pack dirt with a razor would be a great start for him. I still think that the big bikes are going to be on teh ICE platform for probably another 5yrs until Alta and other companies find ways of making the Electiric moto bike competive at the pro level
I’m sorry but to me the fundamentals of riding will always include learning how to effectively use the clutch and also shifting the fundamentals of riding. In my opinion are taking fundamentals AWAY from riding I think these 2 things alone require the kind of skill that’s makes MX the challenging sport that it is. Its the little things like this that make MX more skilled than any avg asshat swinging a leg over a bike and thoughtlessly twisting the throttle. And those little things like this that make it A challenging sport all together as a whole more than just going fast for the sake of going fast but also having to manage gear selection shift points clutching to go faster etc.

I will always look at electric motocross bikes as an offshoot a tangent a niche if you will because it seems like you only need 65 percent of the full package of an internal combustion engine to ride and go fast making these lazier and easier doesn’t make it more cool to me it makes it less cool but that’s just me and I’m really nobody LOL
Jmicmoto13
12/18/2017 5:09am
MBR wrote:
Old news, this Yamaha mini e-bike concept and also Walker's photo is from 2013 EICMA show. But that is not the most interesting part as Yamaha...
Old news, this Yamaha mini e-bike concept and also Walker's photo is from 2013 EICMA show. But that is not the most interesting part as Yamaha then also introduced a full size motocross e-bike concept that was called "PED1". Was that a sign of times to come?Grinninghttps://gas2.org/2013/11/14/yamaha-electric-ecosystem/
Good call. Wonder what the deal with that is?
12/18/2017 5:41am Edited Date/Time 12/18/2017 5:46am
I’m sorry but to me the fundamentals of riding will always include learning how to effectively use the clutch and also shifting the fundamentals of riding...
I’m sorry but to me the fundamentals of riding will always include learning how to effectively use the clutch and also shifting the fundamentals of riding. In my opinion are taking fundamentals AWAY from riding I think these 2 things alone require the kind of skill that’s makes MX the challenging sport that it is. Its the little things like this that make MX more skilled than any avg asshat swinging a leg over a bike and thoughtlessly twisting the throttle. And those little things like this that make it A challenging sport all together as a whole more than just going fast for the sake of going fast but also having to manage gear selection shift points clutching to go faster etc.

I will always look at electric motocross bikes as an offshoot a tangent a niche if you will because it seems like you only need 65 percent of the full package of an internal combustion engine to ride and go fast making these lazier and easier doesn’t make it more cool to me it makes it less cool but that’s just me and I’m really nobody LOL
Dude, probably every current pro rider started on a bike with neither clutching nor shifting.
motomike137
12/18/2017 8:29am
Design is in the eye of the beholder, I think it looks good personally.
MBR
12/18/2017 8:37am
Jmicmoto13 wrote:
Good call. Wonder what the deal with that is?
Digged deeper on this and originally these electric concepts were planned to be in production already 2016. Now they seem to be finally ready for release which probably sparked Walker's posting.
Jmicmoto13
12/18/2017 8:49am
MBR wrote:
Digged deeper on this and originally these electric concepts were planned to be in production already 2016. Now they seem to be finally ready for release...
Digged deeper on this and originally these electric concepts were planned to be in production already 2016. Now they seem to be finally ready for release which probably sparked Walker's posting.
Makes sense. Thanks for the follow up.
12/18/2017 8:53am Edited Date/Time 12/18/2017 8:55am
Design is in the eye of the beholder, I think it looks good personally.
I think it looks more like a toy than a motorcycle. I also think the PW50 looks like a toy.

And in both cases, I think that's a good thing, and a design success on Yamaha's part.

Post a reply to: New electric Yamaha mini bike ?

The Latest