New bike for my son

Edited Date/Time 2/19/2015 7:49am
My son is 6 right now... he is about average height but is super light....He has a PW50 right now and of course absolutely loves riding. I am wanting to move him up mostly because he wants to start racing and I want him to start learning to use a clutch. I am needing to know what a good bike would be to move him up to. Thank you!
|
jndmx
2/18/2015 10:35am
Look for an RM65 or KX65 from the mid-2000's
That was back when Suzuki and Kawi collaborated on the mini's and the parts are basically interchangeable, reasonable price and generally very easy to find.
Both of those models usually run well, aren't too finicky or heavy with the power hit and they are a good starting machine for the clutch IMO.

My son went from an XR70 to an RM65 and once he had the hang of the clutch that bike was perfect.
You may need to use some blocks on the start depending on his height.
moscrop940
2/18/2015 11:09am
My son is 6 right now... he is about average height but is super light....He has a PW50 right now and of course absolutely loves riding...
My son is 6 right now... he is about average height but is super light....He has a PW50 right now and of course absolutely loves riding. I am wanting to move him up mostly because he wants to start racing and I want him to start learning to use a clutch. I am needing to know what a good bike would be to move him up to. Thank you!
Buy him a set of golf clubs and thank me later Grinning
2/18/2015 11:14am
My son is 6 right now... he is about average height but is super light....He has a PW50 right now and of course absolutely loves riding...
moscrop940 wrote:
If I could get away with that I would! but my son has been around dirt bikes since he was born so I don't think I could away with it lol
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
2/18/2015 11:17am
jndmx wrote:
Look for an RM65 or KX65 from the mid-2000's That was back when Suzuki and Kawi collaborated on the mini's and the parts are basically interchangeable...
That was back when Suzuki and Kawi collaborated on the mini's and the parts are basically interchangeable, reasonable price and generally very easy to find.
Both of those models usually run well, aren't too finicky or heavy with the power hit and they are a good starting machine for the clutch IMO.

My son went from an XR70 to an RM65 and once he had the hang of the clutch that bike was perfect.
I agree.....or if you have lots of money...ktm ...

The Shop

BobPA
2/18/2015 11:22am
From a pw 50 to a kx/rm 65 is a massive jump IMO, especially at 6 years old. A PW50 makes 2.5 horsepower, while a kx 65 makes 14.5...and they are far from mellow. If he is confident and coordinated you may get away with that, but I think an xr/crf 80 would be a better choice to help him learn with a clutch.
2/18/2015 11:22am
Well I can't say I have lots of money (I WISH) but I will spend whats needed because i'm hoping he'll be able to ride this next bike a while. So everyone can get a better idea my son is 6 been riding the PW50 for almost 2 years now, he is 3'7" and weighs 42 lbs.
moscrop940
2/18/2015 11:24am
moscrop940 wrote:
If I could get away with that I would! but my son has been around dirt bikes since he was born so I don't think I...
If I could get away with that I would! but my son has been around dirt bikes since he was born so I don't think I could away with it lol
Ha it was all in good fun, regardless of your age, once you get the bug its all over!

Seriously though, as much as moto has done for me ( I even met my now wife at the track), I cant help but think if I would still be walking with a massive limp if I had just listened to my mom and stuck it out with golf....

Anyways, best of luck to you and the family, its cool to see another moto mom making things happen for her son!
2/18/2015 11:26am
Have you considered getting a KLX/DRZ110 and adding a manual clutch unit? The power is much mellower than a KX/RM and it's basically the same size.
segers
Fantasy
2294th
2/18/2015 11:28am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2015 11:29am
dsmith wrote:
My son stil rides his ktm 65 from 2012 with 130hours on it.
on 80 hours gave it bottom and top end job and never had any major problems.
If you maintain it properly there good enough bikes.

he started riding it at 6,5 years old
2/18/2015 11:29am
moscrop940 wrote:
If I could get away with that I would! but my son has been around dirt bikes since he was born so I don't think I...
moscrop940 wrote:
Ha it was all in good fun, regardless of your age, once you get the bug its all over! Seriously though, as much as moto has...
Ha it was all in good fun, regardless of your age, once you get the bug its all over!

Seriously though, as much as moto has done for me ( I even met my now wife at the track), I cant help but think if I would still be walking with a massive limp if I had just listened to my mom and stuck it out with golf....

Anyways, best of luck to you and the family, its cool to see another moto mom making things happen for her son!
Oh I know what you mean! My son itches to get on the bike all the time Smile I love being able to let him do what he loves unfortunately I don't know all that much about it all so i'm learning new things too Smile
2/18/2015 11:31am
Sheriff245 wrote:
Have you considered getting a KLX/DRZ110 and adding a manual clutch unit? The power is much mellower than a KX/RM and it's basically the same size.
No honestly I haven't since I would have to take it to a shop to add a clutch.... but I will look into that. Smile
2/18/2015 11:36am
Not ready for a 65 IMO. KTM 50jr for racing. Wait another year or two to put him on something with more power and a manual clutch. Your not gonna be able to keep the same bike under him (competitively speaking) for several years until he is ready for an 85. They just grow too fast. Even then, he will still be growing and an 85 will be too small in just a few years. Then you have the option of building a big wheel/supermini, or moving him up to a 125.
Dragoo168
2/18/2015 12:10pm
Ashley, take him around to the bike shops and see what he fits on the best. Ideally, he should be on his toes, but with both feet touching the ground. Use your judgement, or somebody that rides to determine how skilled he is on that PW, and what might be the best next step for him. Kids adapt easier than adults credit them for, but they can also lose interest very easily when something isn't fun anymore. Keep him stoked to ride with a well suited bike, and find someone to teach him along the way.
TeamGreen
2/18/2015 12:13pm
jndmx wrote:
Look for an RM65 or KX65 from the mid-2000's That was back when Suzuki and Kawi collaborated on the mini's and the parts are basically interchangeable...

dsmith wrote:
That covers it
bluepumpkin
2/18/2015 12:13pm
BobPA wrote:
From a pw 50 to a kx/rm 65 is a massive jump IMO, especially at 6 years old. A PW50 makes 2.5 horsepower, while a kx...
From a pw 50 to a kx/rm 65 is a massive jump IMO, especially at 6 years old. A PW50 makes 2.5 horsepower, while a kx 65 makes 14.5...and they are far from mellow. If he is confident and coordinated you may get away with that, but I think an xr/crf 80 would be a better choice to help him learn with a clutch.
+1

My son went from a PW50 to a KTM 50SX Jr. He is now on a KX65. To go from a PW50 to a 65 is a massive jump. I personally wouldn't do it.
chillrich
2/18/2015 12:15pm
Not ready for a 65 IMO. KTM 50jr for racing. Wait another year or two to put him on something with more power and a manual...
Not ready for a 65 IMO. KTM 50jr for racing. Wait another year or two to put him on something with more power and a manual clutch. Your not gonna be able to keep the same bike under him (competitively speaking) for several years until he is ready for an 85. They just grow too fast. Even then, he will still be growing and an 85 will be too small in just a few years. Then you have the option of building a big wheel/supermini, or moving him up to a 125.
This is very accurate. My son started with PW50 at 3 1/2 with training wheels and over the last 10 years we have gone through 6 KTMs; 50JR, 50SR, 2 65SX, 85sx and 105SX. Didn't really spend too much on any of them and was always able to sell them fairly easily. If your son isn't super aggressive on the PW50 move him to a clutched trail bike, if he's aggressive get him on a 50cc race bike.
2/18/2015 12:27pm
Thank you everyone!! I now have a few bikes that I will be looking at Smile He is great at riding and absolutly loves it but like a lot of you have said I do not want to overwhelm him on a bike that is just too much for him.
nickm
2/18/2015 12:59pm
What I'm doing with my 6 year old son is just getting him comfortable. That meant a CRF50 to start (it physically fits him), next jump will be a CRF 110, then I'll get into the race bikes with him.

Every kid is different in their size, strength, comfort level and ability.

Know your kid and buy a bike to match his size and abilities vs what you want him to ride or what someone tells you to buy.
2/18/2015 1:09pm Edited Date/Time 2/18/2015 1:11pm
Sheriff245 wrote:
No honestly I haven't since I would have to take it to a shop to add a clutch.... but I will look into that. Smile
I have done it on a friend's bike, it's actually pretty easy to do yourself if you know how to change a wire and take off/on a clutch cover. They sell kits with all the parts, ready to bolt on. You can also choose to make it a full manual, or a semi-automatic with a clutch lever for an easier transition.

http://tboltusa.com/store/tb-drz110-klx110-manual-clutch-kit-p-88.html

(I am not endorsing this particular product, just an example I found from a quick search.)
hvaughn88
2/18/2015 1:14pm
I went from pw50 to pw80 (just riding around at this point) and then went to the 60's when I started racing. For me, the jump was pretty big. My little sister went with the ktm 50 and I went back and rode it on the track at our house after I'd been on the 60 for a while and was waaaay faster on the ktm 50. I just don't think I was ready for the jump to the 60's. Jumped up to the 80's a little too early too, which wasn't much fun either. It kind of sucks when you can't get even close to touching the ground on the 80. I rode really timid when I knew there was no way I was gonna be able to get back on the bike on my own if I crashed. IMO, take it slow, you have nothing but time.
2/18/2015 1:26pm
PW= Reliable, with minimal maintenance.

Pretty much the same situation with the four stroke pit / play bikes. Occasional oil / air filter service, and ride.

The higher strung race mini's are going to be a bit more finicky, and may require a bit more wrenching from time to time, but probably not much more , until he really starts riding them hard.

If you don't like working on them, avoid the automatic / centrifugal clutch models, such as the earlier KTM 50 Pro junior. They are good bikes, but you will have the wrenches out often to keep them in good running order.

Wandell
2/18/2015 1:42pm
Kids are gonna go and grow through bikes quick. I think a KLX110 or the clutch equipped KLX110L would be a great next bike. Once he masters it, you can move up to a 65cc two stroke and keep the 110 as a pitbike. One more option is to buy a KX65 and stick a fender washer in the exhaust. This is a 10 minute mod that will mellow out the two stroke. You can drill out the fender washer and add power as needed. With a fender washer in the exhaust, the KX65 is barely faster than a KLX110. The advantage of this route is the 65 is much lighter and has much better suspension than the 110. Even though the KLX110 and KX65 are similar in size, the 110 weighs a lot more.
2/18/2015 1:51pm
Just picked these up the other day. Gave $220 for the pair. '01 and '05 KTM juniors.

The '01 air cooler fired right up after a carb clean. Engine sounds good, no rattle. The biggest downfall is the tank is cracked, but have a line on a good used one.

If you look through the grime and spray paint, they both have fairly low hours on them. Unfortunately, someone cooked the LC. There is virtually no impeller left on the water pump, over heated, seized, flaked the plating on the cylinder.

I am going to patch it up, though.

hvaughn88
2/18/2015 1:52pm
Wandell wrote:
Kids are gonna go and grow through bikes quick. I think a KLX110 or the clutch equipped KLX110L would be a great next bike. Once he...
Kids are gonna go and grow through bikes quick. I think a KLX110 or the clutch equipped KLX110L would be a great next bike. Once he masters it, you can move up to a 65cc two stroke and keep the 110 as a pitbike. One more option is to buy a KX65 and stick a fender washer in the exhaust. This is a 10 minute mod that will mellow out the two stroke. You can drill out the fender washer and add power as needed. With a fender washer in the exhaust, the KX65 is barely faster than a KLX110. The advantage of this route is the 65 is much lighter and has much better suspension than the 110. Even though the KLX110 and KX65 are similar in size, the 110 weighs a lot more.
ok, you've caught my interest. I never knew about this. Can you elaborate on it a bit?
edgo897
2/18/2015 1:53pm
I got my daughter a Suzuki DS80 as a first clutched bike. It's fairly mellow and easy to handle. It took the lights off and added an RM plate up front.
2/18/2015 2:06pm
One I am kind of disappointed in is my nephews TTR 50 I gave him last Christmas. Jetted so lean, you will nearly kill the battery with stock jetting / carb settings just getting it started cold. Takes about 5 minutes of running with the choke on to actually run right and hold an idle. Runs better with the GYT jet kit, removed the air screw block off plate for adjustment. Starts much easier now.

This bike has the stiffest shifting operation of nearly any bike I have owned. Little guys can barely manage a gear change.

Not to mention the crankcase breather that is vented into the air box. First time you lay the bike down, the crank case oil runs into the air box, saturates the filter, and upon re-starting, smokes like a freight train. Not to mention you are now low on oil.

Disconnect the breather line from the air box, plug the port ,and install a real crank case breather on the vent tube from the cases. Check the oil often, especially after a crash.

Jack mehoff
2/19/2015 5:10am
One I am kind of disappointed in is my nephews TTR 50 I gave him last Christmas. Jetted so lean, you will nearly kill the battery...
One I am kind of disappointed in is my nephews TTR 50 I gave him last Christmas. Jetted so lean, you will nearly kill the battery with stock jetting / carb settings just getting it started cold. Takes about 5 minutes of running with the choke on to actually run right and hold an idle. Runs better with the GYT jet kit, removed the air screw block off plate for adjustment. Starts much easier now.

This bike has the stiffest shifting operation of nearly any bike I have owned. Little guys can barely manage a gear change.

Not to mention the crankcase breather that is vented into the air box. First time you lay the bike down, the crank case oil runs into the air box, saturates the filter, and upon re-starting, smokes like a freight train. Not to mention you are now low on oil.

Disconnect the breather line from the air box, plug the port ,and install a real crank case breather on the vent tube from the cases. Check the oil often, especially after a crash.

You need to start by getting a pc pipe on that thing , you probably have a quart off oil in that exhaust
walleyeguy
2/19/2015 7:49am
A 65 is WAY too much at 3'7" and 42#. Get him either a KTM 50 or a 110. My son just graduated from a TTR 110 to a 65. The TTR was nice because he learned to shift WITHOUT having to use a clutch. That's really one of the big steps is learning "when" to shift....not actually using the clutch.

Post a reply to: New bike for my son

The Latest