New TLD helmet

Moto619
Edited Date/Time 1/16/2016 5:23am
Did anyone get any close up photos of the new TLD helmets Seely and the TLD team were wearing at A1? There is not much out there on them because they haven't been released yet, I know. Thanks
|
KGAspeed
1/12/2016 8:24pm Edited Date/Time 1/12/2016 8:26pm
I feel like the days of really-cool-custom-helmets would almost be back if it wasn't for the energy drink companies. Before, the lack of custom paint was dictated by then-new trend of canned custom designs from the factory and now its dictated by the gigantic sponsor paying for everything. Go figure. But still, 'bummer.

Some cool ones in there though, here and there. I also can't believe Thor is still making the ugliest helmet ever, in the history of time.

No new TLD though, by the way. I'm betting Troy didn't let that new one get photographed.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
1/12/2016 9:21pm
KGAspeed wrote:
I feel like the days of really-cool-custom-helmets would almost be back if it wasn't for the energy drink companies. Before, the lack of custom paint was...
I feel like the days of really-cool-custom-helmets would almost be back if it wasn't for the energy drink companies. Before, the lack of custom paint was dictated by then-new trend of canned custom designs from the factory and now its dictated by the gigantic sponsor paying for everything. Go figure. But still, 'bummer.

Some cool ones in there though, here and there. I also can't believe Thor is still making the ugliest helmet ever, in the history of time.

No new TLD though, by the way. I'm betting Troy didn't let that new one get photographed.
All the racers wore the new helmet at A1.
MelonFan123
1/12/2016 9:32pm Edited Date/Time 1/12/2016 9:41pm
nice visor boner DizzyLaughing

The Shop

EcoSX478
1/12/2016 10:32pm Edited Date/Time 1/12/2016 10:35pm
Actually the TLD prototype helmet was included in the transworld "Helmets of the stars" gallery earlier today but it seems it was taken down. I'm assuming it was included in the gallery by mistake..?
TeamGreen
1/12/2016 10:49pm
The new helmet is beautiful.
It's really light.
It has new safety features/enhancements.

tek14
1/12/2016 11:30pm
New TLD looks good.
Seems every company have to bring "new safety" helmet after 6D came out.
After lot of talk (and sponsor money) Bell flex helmet doesnt seems any better than old
desing after JS7 slow speed knock out. Only thing happened is that price of helmets gone up 100-300 dollars..
jemcee
1/12/2016 11:33pm Edited Date/Time 1/13/2016 1:54am
Speaking of helmets I found this interesting.. In a why would he? why would they? kinda way
Edit: from Transworld, Monday kickstart

1/12/2016 11:39pm
Ran into Troy at Pala the other day. They are sweet! Super duper light and the new safety design is revolutionary. He said they will be available in March. I want one!
Crush
1/13/2016 1:09am
jemcee wrote:
Speaking of helmets I found this interesting.. In a why would he? why would they? kinda way Edit: from Transworld, Monday kickstart [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/01/12/119642/s1200_Untitled.jpg[/img]
Speaking of helmets I found this interesting.. In a why would he? why would they? kinda way

Don't know... must just be a personal preference thing for James because I know the thinking behind the Arai and Bell with the close chin bar and round shell is to make it easier to roll/less likely to catch etc...

The way James took that knock the other night though, he went limp straight away, i'd say he's done for a while.
KTMShane699
1/13/2016 3:12am
tek14 wrote:
New TLD looks good. Seems every company have to bring "new safety" helmet after 6D came out. After lot of talk (and sponsor money) Bell flex...
New TLD looks good.
Seems every company have to bring "new safety" helmet after 6D came out.
After lot of talk (and sponsor money) Bell flex helmet doesnt seems any better than old
desing after JS7 slow speed knock out. Only thing happened is that price of helmets gone up 100-300 dollars..
You're making an opinion based off of one case with a rider that's already had multiple concussions (making subsequent concussions easier to happen)?

Without force sensors, we will never know just how hard Stewart hit his head. While speed of impact is the greatest factor that effects force, there are other factors at play. Football players sustain concussions and aren't on a motorized vehicle, so speeds tend to be slower.

What happened to Stewart could have just as easily happened in any brand of helmet. Don't be so quick to write off the new helmet technologies based on an isolated incident. The new innovations coming out are good for helmets in all sports.

Shane
TMV
1/13/2016 5:31am
Aesthetically, they're are pretty much their D3 Downhill helmet with a different mouth piece, an uglier but probably a more solid one.
1/13/2016 6:02am
jemcee wrote:
Speaking of helmets I found this interesting.. In a why would he? why would they? kinda way Edit: from Transworld, Monday kickstart [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/01/12/119642/s1200_Untitled.jpg[/img]

If you watch him closely when he rides, he often grabs the mouth piece in the air to adjust his helmet, maybe it's to do with that? A bit more room to grab hold? He seems to do it all the time, while practicing at home and racing, it always seems strange to me.

mmcmx
1/13/2016 6:59am
Does anyone know if Shoei plans to release a new design? I'd like to stay on a japanese lid but don't want to spend big money in an old design!

My helmet will be 5 y/o next winter and I understand that's their lifespan? (If it doesn't have a big hit obiously)
RPM68
1/13/2016 7:22am
mmcmx wrote:
Does anyone know if Shoei plans to release a new design? I'd like to stay on a japanese lid but don't want to spend big money...
Does anyone know if Shoei plans to release a new design? I'd like to stay on a japanese lid but don't want to spend big money in an old design!

My helmet will be 5 y/o next winter and I understand that's their lifespan? (If it doesn't have a big hit obiously)
Actually 5 years from date of purchase or 7 years from manufacture date, that's just a rule of thumb. The foam hardens over time.

I went from Shoei to Bell and couldnt be happier. 6D has awesome technology but just feels like its built cheap. If the Shoei fits you well, I'd recommend the Bell. It's tough to beat the quality of Arai and Shoei.
IceMan446
1/13/2016 8:07am
If you watch him closely when he rides, he often grabs the mouth piece in the air to adjust his helmet, maybe it's to do with...
If you watch him closely when he rides, he often grabs the mouth piece in the air to adjust his helmet, maybe it's to do with that? A bit more room to grab hold? He seems to do it all the time, while practicing at home and racing, it always seems strange to me.

RC use to do the same thing. Not sure why, might just be a comfort thing and to help them relax a bit.

And when his hair is long it forces his face closer to the chin bar. A good example was from straight rhythm this year.

Look at Mookie, he and James have the same issue.
visser62
1/13/2016 8:16am
If you watch him closely when he rides, he often grabs the mouth piece in the air to adjust his helmet, maybe it's to do with...

IceMan446 wrote:
RC use to do the same thing. Not sure why, might just be a comfort thing and to help them relax a bit. And when his...
RC use to do the same thing. Not sure why, might just be a comfort thing and to help them relax a bit.

And when his hair is long it forces his face closer to the chin bar. A good example was from straight rhythm this year.

Look at Mookie, he and James have the same issue.
I think it's a comfort thing. I remember he pulled a tear off during the 2014 Straight Rhythm. I'm obviously not James Stewart, but when I race I pull down on my visor quite a bit as a comfort thing.
EcoSX478
1/15/2016 9:34pm
Do any of you know if this color/design helmet is currently available or is it just a one-off for Cole? Assuming it's a SE3..

ML512
Fantasy
45th
1/15/2016 9:54pm
EcoSX478 wrote:
Do any of you know if this color/design helmet is currently available or is it just a one-off for Cole? Assuming it's a SE3.. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/01/15/120016/s1200_image.jpg[/img]
Do any of you know if this color/design helmet is currently available or is it just a one-off for Cole? Assuming it's a SE3..

That's not an SE3.
hvaughn88
1/16/2016 5:23am
On one of matthes' shows they were talking about the helmet grab thing. I can't remember who said it, but they mentioned that the goggle/helmet combos fit so tight that they can move the helmet to adjust the goggles if they are slipping or something. I can't remember which episode it was, but it was something along those lines.

Post a reply to: New TLD helmet

The Latest