New Showa KX250f fork spring

rdpmtrspts
5/25/2010 5:31pm
Yes it does, forks never work independently of each other because they are connected by the axle.
so the valving will have to be twice as stiff as well. It should be interesting
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
5/25/2010 6:06pm
Why even chamber the fork with the spring then? If I understand this spring is or is not in oil?
ktm300hater
5/25/2010 6:13pm
Tiki wrote:
Why even chamber the fork with the spring then? If I understand this spring is or is not in oil?
There has to be some sort of rod going thru the fork to keep it from coming apart, and yes there will be oil for lubrication..........
CamP
5/25/2010 6:36pm
I know Marzocchi has been doing this for a long time, but from an intuitive viewpoint, having the spring in one leg and the damping cartridge in the other doesn't gel well with me.

The Shop

FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
5/25/2010 7:34pm
rdpmtrspts wrote:
Yes it does, forks never work independently of each other because they are connected by the axle. so the valving will have to be twice as...
Yes it does, forks never work independently of each other because they are connected by the axle.
so the valving will have to be twice as stiff as well. It should be interesting
Interesting concept but I know for a fact that an axle and fork clamps are not enough to keep for two forks that are valved different driving the same.
If you don't believe me, go turn your clickers opposite one another and go for a ride. Hell, go up 5 on one leg and down 5 on the other. Should be the same. lol
Chris_ONeal
5/25/2010 7:45pm
KTM has been doing this for a while haven't they?

Do any factory guys run this set up on the Jap bikes?
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
5/25/2010 8:04pm
That's what I was thinking FlickitFlat. The clamps and axle will likely need to be really stiff to prevent stiction and flex.

Although, it has been done before so who knows. Heck, the Cannondale Scalpel mtb only has a fork tube on the left side and I've never heard anyone complain about flex. I don't know, I'll be very interested to find out how it goes.
dirthead1
5/26/2010 9:05am
Fox has been doing this for years on their mountain bike forks. Nothing new here.
Davey762
5/26/2010 9:19am
What are the pros to this set up over the old style?
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
5/26/2010 9:31am
Davey762 wrote:
What are the pros to this set up over the old style?
Likely less weight from only 1 spring and less total oil volume. Also fewer parts and faster adjustment if you only have to change one spring or one dampening valve.
sixdayguy
5/26/2010 9:39am
I had some Muller forks on a 1990 ktm that were air sprung no springs the rebound on one side and the compression on the other. The great thing about those forks was that because there were no springs there was a ton of space for large bottoming cones. The forks had better bottoming control that any other fork I have ever rode.
5/26/2010 9:45am
KTM has been doing this for a while haven't they?

Do any factory guys run this set up on the Jap bikes?
i believe they run them in the smaller bikes but not the big boys...
adamdf
5/26/2010 10:09am
I'm not sue guys but one would have to think that the kawi test riders aren't complete douche bags, i mean they did a great job with the 2006-2010 kx250Fs, i'm sure they tested this before deciding on it, although some test riders are said to be "very unique" to say the least, i'm giving kawi the benefit of the doubt on this...
TeamGreen
5/26/2010 11:10am
Imagine if that -1- spring is Ti...

I'm jus' sayin'...
John Birch
5/26/2010 11:14am
TeamGreen wrote:

I'm jus' sayin'...
Why dont you do us all a favor, and go away. You sure seem to love yourself, and love pretending you are a super duper insider guy. No one cares what you say. No one cares about you.
sixdayguy
5/26/2010 11:14am
The Muller forks that I talked about were 6lbs lighter then WP forks. They worked so well that I put them on my 97 bike.
TeamGreen
5/26/2010 11:38am
TeamGreen wrote:

I'm jus' sayin'...
John Birch wrote:
Why dont you do us all a favor, and go away. You sure seem to love yourself, and love pretending you are a super duper insider...
Why dont you do us all a favor, and go away. You sure seem to love yourself, and love pretending you are a super duper insider guy. No one cares what you say. No one cares about you.
Princess,

You angry lil' bitter sissy-bitch...

I was just thinkin' out-loud since there ARE Ti-fork springs and they're pretty damn light...then...you've got a fork system with jus' -1- fork-spring...

That's all I was sayin'...

Then there's this: G F Y

You can put your head back in your ass, now.

It's funny...when an ass, such as yourself, posts crap like this...it's says soooooo much about your ignorant-ass-self.

Have a Nice Day!
TeamGreen
5/26/2010 11:40am
sixdayguy wrote:
The Muller forks that I talked about were 6lbs lighter then WP forks. They worked so well that I put them on my 97 bike.
Did WP make a single-spring fork for their all aluminum works systems?
bents
Fantasy
710th
5/26/2010 12:42pm
TeamGreen wrote:

I'm jus' sayin'...
John Birch wrote:
Why dont you do us all a favor, and go away. You sure seem to love yourself, and love pretending you are a super duper insider...
JB,

Why would you slam the guy for a simple statement? Fuck man. I got it-lighter than two steel springs. This is why people throw their hands up on these message boards. Got a counter point? Fine. Make it then. But not shit like this.
Chris_ONeal
5/26/2010 12:43pm
TeamGreen wrote:

I'm jus' sayin'...
John Birch wrote:
bents wrote:
JB, Why would you slam the guy for a simple statement? Fuck man. I got it-lighter than two steel springs. This is why people throw their...
JB,

Why would you slam the guy for a simple statement? Fuck man. I got it-lighter than two steel springs. This is why people throw their hands up on these message boards. Got a counter point? Fine. Make it then. But not shit like this.
x2!
John Birch
5/26/2010 12:46pm
TeamGreen wrote:

I'm jus' sayin'...
John Birch wrote:
bents wrote:
JB, Why would you slam the guy for a simple statement? Fuck man. I got it-lighter than two steel springs. This is why people throw their...
JB,

You must not be familiar with TeamGreens work. He is the epitome of wannabe Insider know it all guy. He is the walking definition of douche.
bents
Fantasy
710th
5/26/2010 12:56pm
I'm sorry JB, I don't. I've made the most simple of observations as a fan of the sport on this board and got absolutely whacked with personal insults, so perhaps I'm a little sensitive-good natured jab-get it-sarcastic humor-get it. Anyway, not looking to stir up any shit here.
Jakes Dad
5/26/2010 1:07pm
Half the parts half the cost right? Wait did they drop the price this year?
7GP
5/26/2010 1:54pm
Jakes Dad wrote:
Half the parts half the cost right? Wait did they drop the price this year?
I wish. "New tech"+EFI=$$$
ando
5/26/2010 2:00pm
There's no reason this design shouldn't work.

I'm guessing that the longitudinal stiction/flex from the wheel hitting bumps is going to be a lot higher than any side-to-side stiction/flex. Maybe even to the point of being negligible?

If you think about it, when the wheel hits a bump and the suspension starts travelling, there will be resisting spring forces on one side, and resisting damping forces on the other side, so perhaps there is little or no imbalance?

Also this design should offer a lot more flexibility in the damping design by virtue of not having to accommodate the spring in the same tube.

lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
5/26/2010 2:13pm
cagiva did this back in the 80s and it worked OK, nothing new just refined.
pie8man
5/26/2010 2:23pm
This seems very made up to me.... Well more of an incomplete idea anyway. Yes they have been doing this in MTB forks for some time but the axle in those forks is about the same size as the fork legs to keep the lower fork legs aligned. The two pair of MTB forks I have had wore terribly because there is still a bunch of flexing going on and the slider bushings get beat. There is no way this is going to be effective without some major changes to the fork lower clamps and axle design.... Which would also require a new hub to contain bigger bearings.

Flickit said it "Interesting concept but I know for a fact that an axle and fork clamps are not enough to keep two forks that are valved different driving the same.
If you don't believe me, go turn your clickers opposite one another and go for a ride. Hell, go up 5 on one leg and down 5 on the other. Should be the same. lol"
pie8man
5/26/2010 2:29pm
I'm still waiting for someone to develop a hybrid of some of the link designs we have seen over the years. Shock technology is so far ahead of fork technology. Just the difference from pressurized oil to static and the amount of aeration that is eliminated is unreal. There have also been some newly developed internal bypass adjustable shocks that could be made for Moto. Imagine having all the bottoming resistance you could ever want with a nice compliant ride height and more rebound control.

Post a reply to: New Showa KX250f fork spring

The Latest