New Helmet Dilemma

Giygas
Fantasy
1349th
1/18/2016 11:19am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2016 7:50pm
So I crashed pretty good two weeks ago; broke my right clavicle and got a very mild concussion. (I had surgery and am healing very fast, btw). I had a cheap Answer 2.0 Evolve helmet. While I see no apparent cracks, I'm a bit worried about using this helmet again, as it may have damage that is not visible.

I am debating on biting the bullet and buying a high end helmet, but am not sure what everyone is running these days. I'm looking into the Arai VX4, Bell Moto-9 Flex, and the Shoei VFX-W. I noticed the Kevin Windham replica Shoei is much cheaper than the current VFX-W. The fact that it was made in 2013, would it provide less protection or is it more or less the same helmet?

I know this is a lot of text lol, but I know my head is worth way more than the $650 price tag of most of these helmets.
|
1/18/2016 11:32am
absolutely do not re use your old helmet if it's taken an impact bud, even with no visible damage the materials and foam will not take and distribute the energy of another impact as they should. even a mid range helmet would be better off than re using.

I don't have any recommendations, just go for what's in your budget and has the best fitment for you. then style/ brand / whatever.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
1/18/2016 11:36am
I stand behind the VFX-W's big time! I also will stand behind the Moto 9. I haven't tried the Arai but you really can't go wrong with any of those three choices. You'll be good to go. Hope you continue to heal quickly!
Grieby54
1/18/2016 11:43am
I agree with the feedback you've been given - time to hang your old helmet up on the wall and move onto a new lid. I've ridden with the Shoei and currently have an Arai (I LOVE it), both are good lids and I think you can't go wrong with any of those that you've mentioned.
Giygas
Fantasy
1349th
1/18/2016 11:45am
Thanks. Do you think is anything wrong with the 2013 Shoei?Shoei VFX-W KW

The Shop

VxeR
1/18/2016 11:55am
I guess Airoh isn't popular in the US uh?
I love my Aviator 2.2, I don't even feel it.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
1/18/2016 11:58am
Giygas wrote:
You should be good to go with that one! I read last night on shoei' website that the helmet is good for 5 years after retail sale.
1/18/2016 11:59am
Giygas wrote:
No, nothing wrong with it. Just some discount because it's an old design.
I don't know if you have already test fitted the shoei or any of the other helmets but I wouldn't buy a helmet on the internet if you have never tried it. Every helmet has a different fit. You need to find out which helmet brand / type fits your head the best.
LoudLove
1/18/2016 12:04pm
It bears repeating: A $200 helmet that fits well is better than a $650 helmet that doesn't. Some people have Arai-shaped heads, others Shoei. Most helmets in the $250+ range offer similar levels of protection; the additional dollars are for low-weight, design features, and branding (many lower-cost helmets use Arai & Shoei's 3+ year old technologies).

There's nothing wrong with spending big dollars on helmets if you have the cash. However, don't dismiss lower-cost options, especially if they have a better fit. Bottom line: try on the helmets before you buy.
philG
1/18/2016 12:09pm
Personal opinion , buy a helmet that you can trash first time out and not have a coronary.. There are lots of good mid price helmets out there , see if you can cut a deal on 2, cant beat having a spare if its a mudder.

imoto34
Fantasy
3151st
1/18/2016 12:16pm
Giygas wrote:
That is a very nice helmet. Once i went to wearing Shoei i have hung in there. Love each one of mine.
Giygas
Fantasy
1349th
1/18/2016 12:38pm
LoudLove wrote:
It bears repeating: A $200 helmet that fits well is better than a $650 helmet that doesn't. Some people have Arai-shaped heads, others Shoei. Most helmets...
It bears repeating: A $200 helmet that fits well is better than a $650 helmet that doesn't. Some people have Arai-shaped heads, others Shoei. Most helmets in the $250+ range offer similar levels of protection; the additional dollars are for low-weight, design features, and branding (many lower-cost helmets use Arai & Shoei's 3+ year old technologies).

There's nothing wrong with spending big dollars on helmets if you have the cash. However, don't dismiss lower-cost options, especially if they have a better fit. Bottom line: try on the helmets before you buy.
I'm just going to get a $650 helmet that fits lol. I found a place about 50 miles away that has all the high end helmets in stock. I am going to try them on there and probably buy online.
IWreckALot
1/18/2016 12:51pm
VxeR wrote:
I guess Airoh isn't popular in the US uh?
I love my Aviator 2.2, I don't even feel it.
A buddy of mine has an Airoh. . . That thing is so light! It almost feels like it wouldn't adequately protect your head if you were judging by the weight. I'd be interested in buying one of those if I were in the market for that high end of a helmet.
Giygas
Fantasy
1349th
1/18/2016 1:21pm
Cool. I will look into Airoh as well. There are so many quality helmet companies now.
c0ncEpT
1/18/2016 1:55pm
Moto9 flex is second to non. I was sold on 6D and went to the store to try on/buy one and ended up walking out with a Moto9 flex. The 6D just didn't quite feel right. The Bell fit like a glove.
1/18/2016 2:12pm
c0ncEpT wrote:
Moto9 flex is second to non. I was sold on 6D and went to the store to try on/buy one and ended up walking out with...
Moto9 flex is second to non. I was sold on 6D and went to the store to try on/buy one and ended up walking out with a Moto9 flex. The 6D just didn't quite feel right. The Bell fit like a glove.
Same for me. I went to try a Shoei VFX-W and ended up buying the Moto-9.
1/18/2016 2:50pm
Giygas wrote:
So I crashed pretty good two weeks ago; broke my right clavicle and got a very mild concussion. (I had surgery and am healing very fast...
So I crashed pretty good two weeks ago; broke my right clavicle and got a very mild concussion. (I had surgery and am healing very fast, btw). I had a cheap Answer 2.0 Evolve helmet. While I see no apparent cracks, I'm a bit worried about using this helmet again, as it may have damage that is not visible.

I am debating on biting the bullet and buying a high end helmet, but am not sure what everyone is running these days. I'm looking into the Arai VX4, Bell Moto-9 Flex, and the Shoei VFX-W. I noticed the Kevin Windham replica Shoei is much cheaper than the current VFX-W. The fact that it was made in 2013, would it provide less protection or is it more or less the same helmet?

I know this is a lot of text lol, but I know my head is worth way more than the $650 price tag of most of these helmets.
Hey bro, glad to hear you're OK. And it's very respectable that you're out there asking the community for opinions and help. It takes a certain level of courage to ask for help on Vital...or even post on here! LOL (bunch of beasts!)

Anyway. Just chiming in with another opinion and most of it has been covered already. I'm 41 with two kids, wife and really love life...so I don't want to go anywhere anytime soon; just like most of us. For me, after reading all of the info out there on 6D, then meeting Bob Weber and his team face to face, the decision was very easy to buy a 6D helmet. Previously, i'd only worn Shoei including the VFX-W. I am a Shoei shaped head, Arai is a great helmet, but doesn''t fit me well, but the Shoei is like a glove and the 6D fits great, too.

If you don't have the time to research the science and tech behind the 6D, give them a call. It's the only helmet i'll ever wear now, and i've crash tested mine...fully (video proof by request, lol)

Anyway, one of the other main reasons for choosing 6D is when you meet the owner/partner and staff, you will conclude that they genuinely care about making a safer helmet. It's not about the cool factor or graphics and color ways, they have a laser-beam focus on saving people's brains. That's admirable to me, and i'm sure many other helmet makers do too. 6D never dogs on the competition and they're small enough that you get that personal attention and care.

Anyway, I pay full retail for my 6D helmets; i'm not affiliated with them but always stand 100% behind products I believe in and like to share my experience ESPECIALLY if it's going to help someone out one day.

Ride safe, ride hard and have fun!

Doug - 484
Giygas
Fantasy
1349th
1/18/2016 3:00pm
Hey bro, glad to hear you're OK. And it's very respectable that you're out there asking the community for opinions and help. It takes a certain...
Hey bro, glad to hear you're OK. And it's very respectable that you're out there asking the community for opinions and help. It takes a certain level of courage to ask for help on Vital...or even post on here! LOL (bunch of beasts!)

Anyway. Just chiming in with another opinion and most of it has been covered already. I'm 41 with two kids, wife and really love life...so I don't want to go anywhere anytime soon; just like most of us. For me, after reading all of the info out there on 6D, then meeting Bob Weber and his team face to face, the decision was very easy to buy a 6D helmet. Previously, i'd only worn Shoei including the VFX-W. I am a Shoei shaped head, Arai is a great helmet, but doesn''t fit me well, but the Shoei is like a glove and the 6D fits great, too.

If you don't have the time to research the science and tech behind the 6D, give them a call. It's the only helmet i'll ever wear now, and i've crash tested mine...fully (video proof by request, lol)

Anyway, one of the other main reasons for choosing 6D is when you meet the owner/partner and staff, you will conclude that they genuinely care about making a safer helmet. It's not about the cool factor or graphics and color ways, they have a laser-beam focus on saving people's brains. That's admirable to me, and i'm sure many other helmet makers do too. 6D never dogs on the competition and they're small enough that you get that personal attention and care.

Anyway, I pay full retail for my 6D helmets; i'm not affiliated with them but always stand 100% behind products I believe in and like to share my experience ESPECIALLY if it's going to help someone out one day.

Doug - 484
Thanks for the post, Doug. I will definitely try on some 6D helmets before I make my purchase. I'm not buying for looks or brand. I couldn't care less what it looks like, I just want my head to be protected as best as it possibly can.
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
1/18/2016 3:21pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2016 3:24pm
Giygas wrote:
Thanks for the post, Doug. I will definitely try on some 6D helmets before I make my purchase. I'm not buying for looks or brand. I...
Thanks for the post, Doug. I will definitely try on some 6D helmets before I make my purchase. I'm not buying for looks or brand. I couldn't care less what it looks like, I just want my head to be protected as best as it possibly can.
IN that case.... Bell is offering a head scan that they use to make a custom, to "your" head foam. Something to consider....

https://www.bellhelmets.com/bell-custom-fit

I switched from Shoei vfx to the Moto 9 and now using the Moto 9 FLEX models. While I will admit that I bought the Bell Moto 9 because I have a connection to get them for a great price, they also fit my head better than all the other helmets I tried on. I wore Shoei helmets for decades, but after switching to the Bell, I'm happy I did, it just feels better on my head. As mentioned already, Arai, Shoei, Bell Moto9, 6D are all great helmets. Try them ALL on and buy the one that fits snug, but doesn't feel like it'll give you a headache. Sizing is the most important thing when trying them all on.

I think that 6D should be given a LOT of credit for "going outside the box" with their design. It made all the other helmet companies step up their game. I have the 6D hook up as well, but the helmet didn't fit my head. The top of the helmet was pushing down on my head, where as the Bell and Shoei, went unnoticed. Wrong head shape.....
1/18/2016 3:25pm
Giygas wrote:
Thanks for the post, Doug. I will definitely try on some 6D helmets before I make my purchase. I'm not buying for looks or brand. I...
Got your priorities straight, good on you.

How's the collarbone healing up? Sounds like you had it plated? I couldn't stay still long enough for my right clavicle fracture to heal so after 5-6 weeks, the doctor opened me up and plated it. It's good as new now, only issue is some loss of feeling where the scar is from nerves being severed.

Good luck with the new lid and let us know what you chose.

Doug

Giygas
Fantasy
1349th
1/18/2016 4:30pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2016 4:31pm
Got your priorities straight, good on you. How's the collarbone healing up? Sounds like you had it plated? I couldn't stay still long enough for my...
Got your priorities straight, good on you.

How's the collarbone healing up? Sounds like you had it plated? I couldn't stay still long enough for my right clavicle fracture to heal so after 5-6 weeks, the doctor opened me up and plated it. It's good as new now, only issue is some loss of feeling where the scar is from nerves being severed.

Good luck with the new lid and let us know what you chose.

Doug

Its healing fast. I got a plate and 7 screws, so hopefully I will be back to work and on the bike in about 6 more weeks. I have had my sling on religiously and go for my 2 week appointment tomorrow. Here's the x-ray.

motogeezer
1/18/2016 4:44pm
I've never bought a helmet that wasn't SNELL certified, which pretty much leaves you with Arai and Shoei.

And the try it on advice is absolutely necessary.

I ended up with an Arai for a dirt bike helmet, and a Shoei for the street.
Indy mxer
1/18/2016 5:56pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2016 6:02pm
Giygas wrote:
So I crashed pretty good two weeks ago; broke my right clavicle and got a very mild concussion. (I had surgery and am healing very fast...

Hey bro, glad to hear you're OK. And it's very respectable that you're out there asking the community for opinions and help. It takes a certain...

Doug - 484
Good post Doug. Well said.

I did the same thing and went with 6D carbon for a lot of the same reasons. I'm 58 and having the time of my life.
Empty nesting and a great wife, life is good. Wife has no problem with me riding moto. Just wants me to be as safe as possible.

My 2 prior helmets were a Moto 9 and VFX-W. They're both excellent helmets and I liked both of them, but the cutting edge safety technology on the 6D made it an easy choice for me. There's a reason the NFL is looking at their design.

And it felt better on my head than the other 2. 6D quality is top notch. The shell is a bit bigger than other helmets, but I can't really tell the difference.

And yes. I paid full price as well for mine. At first it seemed like a high price, until I looked at what I paid for a Pro Circuit exhaust for my Kaw 250F. Kinda brought things in to perspective.
racerx317
1/18/2016 6:37pm
There is some great wisdom in this thread... Correct fit is key as well as a helmet that has good impact absorption qualities and the lighter the better to reduce the pendulum effect which will help reduce the level of impact. I've seen plenty of concussions in all helmets including the Flex and the 6D so it can happen in anything. I chose the Just 1 helmet due to the fit, feel, impact absorption qualities and the thing is light as a feather. I'd look into it for sure as a possibility.

Hope you get riding again soon!
1/18/2016 6:45pm
Giygas wrote:
Its healing fast. I got a plate and 7 screws, so hopefully I will be back to work and on the bike in about 6 more...
Its healing fast. I got a plate and 7 screws, so hopefully I will be back to work and on the bike in about 6 more weeks. I have had my sling on religiously and go for my 2 week appointment tomorrow. Here's the x-ray.

Dang bro, we're twins! LOL...here's mine.

1/18/2016 6:51pm
Indy mxer wrote:
Good post Doug. Well said. I did the same thing and went with 6D carbon for a lot of the same reasons. I'm 58 and having...
Good post Doug. Well said.

I did the same thing and went with 6D carbon for a lot of the same reasons. I'm 58 and having the time of my life.
Empty nesting and a great wife, life is good. Wife has no problem with me riding moto. Just wants me to be as safe as possible.

My 2 prior helmets were a Moto 9 and VFX-W. They're both excellent helmets and I liked both of them, but the cutting edge safety technology on the 6D made it an easy choice for me. There's a reason the NFL is looking at their design.

And it felt better on my head than the other 2. 6D quality is top notch. The shell is a bit bigger than other helmets, but I can't really tell the difference.

And yes. I paid full price as well for mine. At first it seemed like a high price, until I looked at what I paid for a Pro Circuit exhaust for my Kaw 250F. Kinda brought things in to perspective.
That's a great helmet and definitely my next purchase (6D carbon). Agree with you on all points, bad math and wishful thinking has us empty-nesters in 8 years or just shy of 50; however, with today's college grad return-to-home rate, i'll most likely be about 55. Smile

Well said, for the same price as a Ti pipe that may give you 1.5HP you can have arguably the best protection for your brain...let's all choose health over horsepower.

Doug - 484

1/18/2016 7:38pm
I've always been a fan of Arai but could never really afford one. I finally ended up getting one and absolutely love it. I've also got a vintage MX-Pro that was barely worn, still in amazing shape and even feels great (Disclaimer: I have NOT worn it while riding a bike, just on a utility quad while working) I'm also coming into a couple of the Arai MXC-Pro's that I plan to use while working the GNCCs. Overall, it's hard to go wrong with an Arai and even buying a leftover VX Pro 3 is just as good as the new VX Pro 4 if you're worried about the price.

I've also had 1 Fly F2 Carbon for 5 years and another F2 for probably 3 years, both have been awesome helmets and when you look at the quality of helmet you get for the price, it makes them even better.

Another option is the Thor Verge. I've talked to a few people that really like theirs!

However, I'll also agree on the point of it depends on what feels comfortable on your head. I had a David Bailey replica One Industries helmet back in 06/07/08. Still have it and tried it on a while back and it felt so much different than anything I have now. Same with the Troy Lee I had in 09/10. They felt great back then, but now that I've adjusted to other helmets, they feel a world different.
bvm111
1/18/2016 7:50pm
LoudLove wrote:
It bears repeating: A $200 helmet that fits well is better than a $650 helmet that doesn't. Some people have Arai-shaped heads, others Shoei. Most helmets...

X2 and well said... Good advice right there!

That being said, I loved my TLD SE3... Had a good enough wreck that I was seeing a few stars with no noticeable damage... I am wearing a Shoei now and will probably go 6D next!

Post a reply to: New Helmet Dilemma

The Latest