New Ford F-150

newmann
Edited Date/Time 1/16/2014 10:39pm
The new all aluminum truck that I wanted to not like. But they had dirt bikes in the bed of it for its debut.....damn them.Laughing

|
newmann
1/13/2014 11:46am
Sure would be nice if those crew cabs came with 7 foot beds. Or I'd settle for a 6 7/8th bed.Smile Just give me enough to close the gate with a bike straight in. My 6 3/4 foot F250 will close about 1/2 the time without kicking a bike sideways.
peelout
1/13/2014 11:47am
sweet trucks. my '12 has the bed extender built in, i get a lot of use out of it both up and down. also get a ton of compliments from my friends wishing their truck had an extender/cargo hold built in
gharmon
1/13/2014 11:48am
I'm due a new truck. If they leave the bikes in the back I may just bit the bullet couple years earlier than planned!!. LOL NOt gonna happen though, I'm tired of making payments!!

The Shop

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
1/13/2014 11:48am
Newman,

Why did you not want to like them?
newmann
1/13/2014 12:04pm Edited Date/Time 1/13/2014 12:05pm
I'm in the collision repair business. All that aluminum and not many techs out there that are too enthused about working on them. The insurance companies have just enough of a stranglehold on the collision industry that not a whole lot of younger guys getting in this business when they can go to an oil or refinery job making good money with near zero experience and not having to have $50,000.00 to $100,000.00 worth of their own tools and tool boxes. There have been more Euro cars coming all aluminum and some of the equipment costs are staggering to work on just one specific car. This vehicle though will be a game changer, as there will be a buttload of them sold. Not much has been released about how it is constructed yet. Will be interesting to say the least.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
1/13/2014 12:08pm
Gotcha. Interesting.
SKIDLID
Fantasy
761st
1/13/2014 12:12pm
newmann wrote:
I'm in the collision repair business. All that aluminum and not many techs out there that are too enthused about working on them. The insurance companies...
I'm in the collision repair business. All that aluminum and not many techs out there that are too enthused about working on them. The insurance companies have just enough of a stranglehold on the collision industry that not a whole lot of younger guys getting in this business when they can go to an oil or refinery job making good money with near zero experience and not having to have $50,000.00 to $100,000.00 worth of their own tools and tool boxes. There have been more Euro cars coming all aluminum and some of the equipment costs are staggering to work on just one specific car. This vehicle though will be a game changer, as there will be a buttload of them sold. Not much has been released about how it is constructed yet. Will be interesting to say the least.
Same business here, wonder if for boxside replacement it is bolted on? Otherwise the average shop would have to rivet bond them back on. Most of the farmers up here dent the sides up often, to fix them would require purchasing an aluminum dent fixer of some kind.
Crash82
Fantasy
2036th
1/13/2014 12:13pm
I would wait for them to get the bugs out..............
Xeno
1/13/2014 12:14pm
newmann wrote:
I'm in the collision repair business. All that aluminum and not many techs out there that are too enthused about working on them. The insurance companies...
Bondo doesn't stick to aluminium?

I kid, I kid Grinning
newmann
1/13/2014 12:20pm
newmann wrote:
Xeno wrote:
Bondo doesn't stick to aluminium?

I kid, I kid Grinning
Bondo is the name of a company. Is there a specific product you are speaking of?

Tongue
TRON
1/13/2014 12:20pm
I wonder how much of the truck is actually aluminum...

An anodized truck would be the bomb.com
1/13/2014 12:31pm Edited Date/Time 1/13/2014 12:33pm
newmann wrote:
I've got a friend who's going to the oil fields out in Decatur, TX after having that $$$'s worth of tools as an auto tech.

$2,500 a week to start. 3 weeks on 1 week off. A friend of his has been there for a little over a year and fell in to a foreman type role making $10,000 a week. Stupid dumb money for hard work.
BAD10
1/13/2014 12:37pm
I was looking at that today and wondering the same thing. Looks like a nice truck. Seems like there are quite a few of us in the autobody industry on this board. Personally, I like the 3M Platinum Plus filler. Woohoo
TeamGreen
1/13/2014 12:37pm
Only downside to the New F-150?

We're gonna wait a LONG TIME for the Raptor version...if ever...
Robgvx
1/13/2014 12:48pm
So they display their new truck with motorcycles in the back, which don't actually fit?
newmann
1/13/2014 12:57pm
BAD10 wrote:
I was looking at that today and wondering the same thing. Looks like a nice truck. Seems like there are quite a few of us in...
I was looking at that today and wondering the same thing. Looks like a nice truck. Seems like there are quite a few of us in the autobody industry on this board. Personally, I like the 3M Platinum Plus filler. Woohoo
I borderline hate 3M. Always changing the damn attachment system on their sandpaper. Then they won't exchange all the old sandpaper or the sanding blocks or back up pads for everybody's tools. I told them years ago if the ever did it again I was going to quit using their stuff. They did it again so now there is Norton sandpaper all through my shop. High dollar Rage body filler here....

No doubt, there will be a lot of failed body repairs on the new Fords as so many still have no clue about aluminum.....and bimetal corrosion from sandpaper they were just rubbing on a steel fender with.Wink
philG
1/13/2014 1:02pm
Robgvx wrote:
So they display their new truck with motorcycles in the back, which don't actually fit?
i thought the same , be like having a builders van with a plank sticking out of the back door , and held shut with a bungee.

Pick-ups are such a no-no over here though, so its hardly worth worrying about
BAD10
1/13/2014 1:06pm
I agree, for sure 3M is an almost monopolizing, evil giant in the industry, always jacking with the consumer. But that 3m filler is a leftover product from when they bought out Marson, and its gooooooood! lolWhistling
Drfletcher
1/13/2014 1:14pm
I don't think I'll ever buy a Ford again. I bought the new F150 2011 Lariat loaded with the eco boost engine. The biggest piece of junk ever. I have had 3 front brake jobs, 2 rear brake jobs, the Bluetooth module crapped out, it won't even play cds, and now it runs like a 50 year old Dodge. The mechanics don't know why and suggest I change out the spark plugs at the low cost of $200. I have already had a coil replaced.

Plus on three separate occasions on the highway when I stepped on the gas to accelerate, the truck bogged and lost speed. Its a piece of crap for $48K.
HenryA
1/13/2014 1:20pm
Robgvx wrote:
philG wrote:
i thought the same , be like having a builders van with a plank sticking out of the back door , and held shut with a...
i thought the same , be like having a builders van with a plank sticking out of the back door , and held shut with a bungee.

"Hey everyone, we made a truck that's too small to carry your dirt bike but it will work if you put this cargo extension bullshit on it!"

Huh
Torco1
1/13/2014 1:24pm
Drfletcher wrote:
I don't think I'll ever buy a Ford again. I bought the new F150 2011 Lariat loaded with the eco boost engine. The biggest piece of...
I don't think I'll ever buy a Ford again. I bought the new F150 2011 Lariat loaded with the eco boost engine. The biggest piece of junk ever. I have had 3 front brake jobs, 2 rear brake jobs, the Bluetooth module crapped out, it won't even play cds, and now it runs like a 50 year old Dodge. The mechanics don't know why and suggest I change out the spark plugs at the low cost of $200. I have already had a coil replaced.

Plus on three separate occasions on the highway when I stepped on the gas to accelerate, the truck bogged and lost speed. Its a piece of crap for $48K.
I'm pretty surprised by that. My 2010 F150 has been awesome. I tow a toy hauler multiple times a year, take it to the track weekly, drive it in the desert and all types of other crap. It hasn't had one single problem.
newmann
1/13/2014 1:27pm
Robgvx wrote:
philG wrote:
i thought the same , be like having a builders van with a plank sticking out of the back door , and held shut with a...

HenryA wrote:
"Hey everyone, we made a truck that's too small to carry your dirt bike but it will work if you put this cargo extension bullshit on...
"Hey everyone, we made a truck that's too small to carry your dirt bike but it will work if you put this cargo extension bullshit on it!"

Huh
You guys just don't understand the American truck buyers culture. Hell, neither do I. These micro beds are complete stupidity. The bozo's at Toyota don't get it either.....LOL. Toyota Tuff Block Challenge epic fail in front of 45,000 people.

Here, stand right here and no one will see!
gharmon
1/13/2014 1:37pm
Robgvx wrote:
philG wrote:

Over here a pick-up is just about mandatory. I could not imagine living without my truck and no I do not use it for my job. I mean I can remember what life was without a truck and nothing sucked worse than having to ask someone to borrow their truck. If I had to only have vehicle it would be a truck, no question.
kyle450rider
1/13/2014 1:57pm
Drfletcher wrote:
I don't think I'll ever buy a Ford again. I bought the new F150 2011 Lariat loaded with the eco boost engine. The biggest piece of...

I've got a 2012 5.0 F150 and have had really good luck with mine. I think the problems you are having are a result of the new model year ecoboost. From what I've read on other forums many had issues that first year. Ford did some design changes on some of the parts in the later half of 2012 and they seem to have it fixed.
hvaughn88
1/13/2014 2:00pm
I think most of these short beds are the result of crew cab trucks. Most all beds were full size before crew cabs became the norm. Not that it makes it any better, but I think the companies realize that most of the trucks they sell are just daily drivers and not actually used for hauling on a regular occasion. Since they are adding length in the cab, they probably take away length in the bed so that the overall length is still manageable for the masses when it comes to fitting in garages, parking spaces, etc. Just a thought.
ImTheDude
1/13/2014 2:08pm
the new Ford f150 will be lighter and with the right engine be faster.

don't worry Newman, people will crash these even quicker than the old trucks.
Racer92
1/13/2014 2:17pm
Yet another Edsel hits the marketplace.

Whistling
Drfletcher
1/13/2014 2:22pm
I've got a 2012 5.0 F150 and have had really good luck with mine. I think the problems you are having are a result of the...
I've got a 2012 5.0 F150 and have had really good luck with mine. I think the problems you are having are a result of the new model year ecoboost. From what I've read on other forums many had issues that first year. Ford did some design changes on some of the parts in the later half of 2012 and they seem to have it fixed.
It really sucks spending that much money on a truck that has so many problems. I never had any problems with the Chevys I have own.

Post a reply to: New Ford F-150

The Latest