New Bike Questions

mxrider971
Edited Date/Time 5/25/2015 10:27am
Hi. I will be purchasing a new yz250f in a couple of months and had a couple of questions. 1. What are some things I should do before I ride the bike for the first time. 2. I currently ride a 2014 yz450f, does the 250 handle/feel the same? The 450 will become a practice bike and the new 250 will be a race bike so it would be nice if it felt the same besides the power. 3. Does a slip on exhaust make a big difference by its self or is the header worth the extra money? 4. Are there any quality race wheels for under $1000 a set? 5. When are the 2016 models available for purchase? Any tips are appreciated, thanks!
|
mxb2
5/24/2015 5:47pm
remap is cheaper than a slip on, the stock yzf system is really good, if you do a full system, ger a remap or borrow a gytr tuner, dont penny pinch on wheels and hubs. get what ya pay for. check for recall on rhe yzf 250.
mxb2
5/24/2015 5:56pm
grease it, get it sprung for your weight, set sag, add fuel, rip it up
mxrider971
5/24/2015 6:03pm
Thanks for the advice. I own a tuner and will start looking into different maps. I run straight VPR, is that enough to change the way the map performs? My stock 450 map didn't like the VPR. I think I will save up and buy higher quality race wheels instead.
mxb2
5/24/2015 6:12pm
mxrider971 wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I own a tuner and will start looking into different maps. I run straight VPR, is that enough to change the way...
Thanks for the advice. I own a tuner and will start looking into different maps. I run straight VPR, is that enough to change the way the map performs? My stock 450 map didn't like the VPR. I think I will save up and buy higher quality race wheels instead.
vp t4,u4.4, mr12, pro6, or renegade sx4, sx+, all great fuels.

The Shop

mxrider971
5/24/2015 6:19pm
mxb2 wrote:
If I remember correctly VPR, t4 and u4.4 are all the same price so I will give them a try. Thanks!
mxrider971
5/25/2015 5:47am
Are you sure you ride a 450? You don't seem to know much.
Sorry if it seems that way, but this is the first bike that I'm buying with my own money. I'm just making sure I do everything properly.
Fresh
Fantasy
3304th
5/25/2015 6:02am
mxrider971 wrote:
Hi. I will be purchasing a new yz250f in a couple of months and had a couple of questions. 1. What are some things I should...
Hi. I will be purchasing a new yz250f in a couple of months and had a couple of questions. 1. What are some things I should do before I ride the bike for the first time. 2. I currently ride a 2014 yz450f, does the 250 handle/feel the same? The 450 will become a practice bike and the new 250 will be a race bike so it would be nice if it felt the same besides the power. 3. Does a slip on exhaust make a big difference by its self or is the header worth the extra money? 4. Are there any quality race wheels for under $1000 a set? 5. When are the 2016 models available for purchase? Any tips are appreciated, thanks!
Some guys fully strip new bikes and re grease every single bearing, also they buy there new exahst with the bike so if they want to keep it, and transfer it to a new bike, the stocker will just slip on and still look brand new at resale.
But if you want to do the bare minimum, grease main parts (wheel bearings, head bearings etc) id fill it with oil you want to run or that's reccomened for break in. Be careful with messing with suspension clickers earlie on, as the suspension needs time to wear in and properly bed. Set sag and how far you want your forks through the clamps. Chuck some good fuel in there (you have no idea how crappy dealer fuel is) and have a blast!
mxrider971
5/25/2015 6:18am
Fresh wrote:
Some guys fully strip new bikes and re grease every single bearing, also they buy there new exahst with the bike so if they want to...
Some guys fully strip new bikes and re grease every single bearing, also they buy there new exahst with the bike so if they want to keep it, and transfer it to a new bike, the stocker will just slip on and still look brand new at resale.
But if you want to do the bare minimum, grease main parts (wheel bearings, head bearings etc) id fill it with oil you want to run or that's reccomened for break in. Be careful with messing with suspension clickers earlie on, as the suspension needs time to wear in and properly bed. Set sag and how far you want your forks through the clamps. Chuck some good fuel in there (you have no idea how crappy dealer fuel is) and have a blast!
I will be taking the suspension off to get done by Factory Connection so i may as well regrease everything. You make a good point on the exhaust . Even if I don't resell it, I usually bust up an exhaust once a year so it's good to have an extra. Thanks for the help!
Crush
5/25/2015 6:24am
mxrider971 wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I own a tuner and will start looking into different maps. I run straight VPR, is that enough to change the way...
How you gonna ask questions about what to do with a new bike in terms of prep, but also own a tuner and be into doing your own maps?

Veirdo Noob.
mxrider971
5/25/2015 6:40am
mxrider971 wrote:
Crush wrote:
How you gonna ask questions about what to do with a new bike in terms of prep, but also own a tuner and be into doing...
How you gonna ask questions about what to do with a new bike in terms of prep, but also own a tuner and be into doing your own maps?

Veirdo Noob.
I understand where you are coming from, but from what I've heard in the past, there have been some issues with the new yz250f. Like I said before, this is the first bike that is coming out of my wallet so I'm just making sure I don't mess it up. Am I not allowed to ask for others insight? Or did I post in the wrong forum?
mxb2
5/25/2015 7:47am
Fresh wrote:
Some guys fully strip new bikes and re grease every single bearing, also they buy there new exahst with the bike so if they want to...
mxrider971 wrote:
I will be taking the suspension off to get done by Factory Connection so i may as well regrease everything. You make a good point on...
I will be taking the suspension off to get done by Factory Connection so i may as well regrease everything. You make a good point on the exhaust . Even if I don't resell it, I usually bust up an exhaust once a year so it's good to have an extra. Thanks for the help!
If u want factory connection, send me a email, Wgoske@yahoo.com thanks billy
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
5/25/2015 8:05am
mxb2 wrote:
mxrider971 wrote:
If I remember correctly VPR, t4 and u4.4 are all the same price so I will give them a try. Thanks!
VPR is actually for two strokes. I would run t4 or u4 .4 but U4.4 is a lot more than T4.
mxrider971
5/25/2015 8:08am
VPR is actually for two strokes. I would run t4 or u4 .4 but U4.4 is a lot more than T4.
I never knew that. I'll be sure to try out some t4 next time I buy some. Thanks!
Crush
5/25/2015 8:39am
mxrider971 wrote:
I understand where you are coming from, but from what I've heard in the past, there have been some issues with the new yz250f. Like I...
I understand where you are coming from, but from what I've heard in the past, there have been some issues with the new yz250f. Like I said before, this is the first bike that is coming out of my wallet so I'm just making sure I don't mess it up. Am I not allowed to ask for others insight? Or did I post in the wrong forum?
Of course you can ask, it's just a bit odd that someone versed in mapping isn't sure about bike prep. One would usually precede the other! Grease before electronics, no?
mxrider971
5/25/2015 9:00am
Crush wrote:
Of course you can ask, it's just a bit odd that someone versed in mapping isn't sure about bike prep. One would usually precede the other...
Of course you can ask, it's just a bit odd that someone versed in mapping isn't sure about bike prep. One would usually precede the other! Grease before electronics, no?
It does seem a bit odd now that I think of it, haha. My dad and I never really changed the grease until about 20 hours in on our new bikes because we never really had a problem with the grease. That's why I came here to ask about what other people did. All is understood now, thanks!
superorbital
5/25/2015 10:11am
Are you sure you ride a 450? You don't seem to know much.
mxrider971 wrote:
Sorry if it seems that way, but this is the first bike that I'm buying with my own money. I'm just making sure I do everything...
Sorry if it seems that way, but this is the first bike that I'm buying with my own money. I'm just making sure I do everything properly.
Well have fun and be safe. I would absolutely love to have a new yz250f.
mxrider971
5/25/2015 10:27am
Well have fun and be safe. I would absolutely love to have a new yz250f.
Oh I will, thanks!

Post a reply to: New Bike Questions

The Latest