New AMA RULE

goonrider
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 3:22pm
The AMA has made it a rule to run a full face helmet but why don't they make it a rule to always wear goggles? Is it going to take a serious injury to a top racer to enforce this piece of equipment. We preach to kids to wear safety goggles in wood shop but if you run out of tear offs during a race or your goggles fog up..it's ok to race without em?

Making a rider stop into the pits and get a fresh set of goggle would add a little bit of suspense and drama to the racing let alone promote proper safety.
|
11/21/2010 9:58pm
I would say yes it is ok to race without them. If your goggles are inhibiting your ability to see, I would say it is much safer to remove them than to worry about getting some dirt in your eye.

Besides I don't think a rule is needed, I can't remember anyone deciding that they would rather not wear goggles, they only remove them during certain circumstances that are not very frequent or common.

They can't keep the rules that they have straight. What would be proper procedure? When your goggles "fog up" at a point where the rider is not next to the pits? Would he have to keep them on (thats really safe) until he reach the pits to get a new pair? Or would he take them off to see where he/she is going, exit the track (because it wouldn't be safe to keep riding) and cut over to the pits? It doesn't work.
Fantasy
4452nd
11/21/2010 10:13pm
what? I dont know of any track (that i've been to anyway) that will let you go to the line without wearing goggles..

The Shop

Ddavis
11/21/2010 10:39pm
I think he's referring to mud races, where people throw them off. Honestly its sometimes safer to throw them off. I'd rather get dirt in my eyes, than have blurry wet goggles and get crossrutted off a big jump because I couldn't see.
goonrider
11/21/2010 11:23pm
Obviously if a rider has to take off his goggles because of a problem he would have a certain amount of laps (2 laps IMO) to get a new set. The reason I bring it up is if a governing body is going to mandate safety equipment I don't see why they overlook this topic.
Jake-247
11/21/2010 11:32pm
Ddavis wrote:
I think he's referring to mud races, where people throw them off. Honestly its sometimes safer to throw them off. I'd rather get dirt in my...
I think he's referring to mud races, where people throw them off. Honestly its sometimes safer to throw them off. I'd rather get dirt in my eyes, than have blurry wet goggles and get crossrutted off a big jump because I couldn't see.
I see your point there DD. But in saying that it only takes one rock in the eye and you can't see for the rest of your life.
goonrider
11/22/2010 12:02am
Ddavis wrote:
I think he's referring to mud races, where people throw them off. Honestly its sometimes safer to throw them off. I'd rather get dirt in my...
All the reason more to pit for new goggles. No mud in the eye and clear vision. Smile
Mod Killer
11/22/2010 12:09am
Ddavis wrote:
Jake-247 wrote:
I see your point there DD. But in saying that it only takes one rock in the eye and you can't see for the rest of...
I see your point there DD. But in saying that it only takes one rock in the eye and you can't see for the rest of your life.
super lame rebuttle. the very nature of motocross itself is far more dangerous than riding without goggles.

i guess this is what happens when you spend your sunday thinking up stupid threads instead of riding or watching football.
tobz
11/22/2010 12:20am
Ddavis wrote:
Jake-247 wrote:
I see your point there DD. But in saying that it only takes one rock in the eye and you can't see for the rest of...
Very true. An Australian pro lost half of his sight after taking off his goggles in a mud race. I'll whipe and struggle before taking my goggles off.
JustMX
11/22/2010 3:43am
If this is something that really concerns you, maybe you should move to New Jersey.

I have had riders from there tell me that at Englishtown they have State Police that will pull you off the track if you take your goggles off because it is a state law.

Maybe the AMA needs to pass a rule that every riders checks to make sure their gas is on.

How about if riders have to be certified capable to jump a double before doing it?

Freaking nanny state twits like you are is the reason our country is in the shape it is in.
liter98
11/22/2010 3:43am
no...no....and...no.......... we dont need any more rules telling people how to be safe...........if you need more suspense and drama during a mx race,...eat a can of corn and a bar of ex-lax 5 hours before the race..........Oh yeah, dont forget to wear your goggles so you dont get any on you.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
11/22/2010 4:03am
Goon rider.. point taken but your solution will never work until they can make a goggle that can clear itself on its own.
ebers
Fantasy
174th
11/22/2010 4:32am
Was this full face helmet rule just put into effect?
JustMX
11/22/2010 4:59am Edited Date/Time 11/22/2010 5:00am
ebers wrote:
just about 20 years ago
ebers
Fantasy
174th
11/22/2010 6:14am Edited Date/Time 11/22/2010 6:16am
ebers wrote:
JustMX wrote:
just about 20 years ago
No 3/4 helmets allowed then?
And to make myself clear, I'm talking about the Arai Helmets with the removable chin bar, meaning are those with the chin bar removed are no longer allowed?
MBBadgers
11/22/2010 9:25am
Ddavis wrote:
Jake-247 wrote:
And one big cross-rutted jump and you go down and paralyzed for life. I'd rather lose vision in an eye then not walk.

Post a reply to: New AMA RULE

The Latest