Never played hockey but I'm listening to Matthes' Hockey Podcast

hvaughn88
Edited Date/Time 9/14/2015 9:37pm
Enjoying it so far. It's pretty cool listening to his take on something outside of moto.
|
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
9/11/2015 2:00pm
It's good. He knows his shit in hockey too.

Hope he has success in this segment also.
_smashmouth
9/11/2015 2:32pm
He knows what he is talking about for the most part. I have absolutely no idea how he got Ray Ferraro on there, that's a really big deal. Ferraro is a color guy for NBC, so if he wanted to get further into this he has an in. Basically he has the ability judging from this first podcast he has a pretty high IQ, and is obviously in touch with the sport and knows the history.

I wonder what his knowledge of the system of the game is, like the difference between a trap, or a 1-3-1 or left wing lock etc. If he has that he could move along quickly I know in the past he has said he wants to do more hockey, apparently he has the connections.

The Shop

9/12/2015 9:01am
Don't encourage him. Leave the downloads meager, please. We don't need him leaving.
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
9/12/2015 9:04am
Hockey = "Soccer on ice".........true story. Tongue
JJO741
Fantasy
3035th
9/12/2015 9:40am
OW38B wrote:
What? Not even close!
JJO741
Fantasy
3035th
9/12/2015 9:44am
That is very impressive that he has Ray Ferraro on the show. Ray is very well known in the NHL and is always on NBC doing between the glass segments and what not. Wonder how Steve got into contact with him. I love hockey so I'm stoked Steve is doing a podcast.
DownSouth
9/12/2015 12:20pm Edited Date/Time 9/12/2015 12:20pm
JJO741 wrote:
That is very impressive that he has Ray Ferraro on the show. Ray is very well known in the NHL and is always on NBC doing...
That is very impressive that he has Ray Ferraro on the show. Ray is very well known in the NHL and is always on NBC doing between the glass segments and what not. Wonder how Steve got into contact with him. I love hockey so I'm stoked Steve is doing a podcast.
A mutual friend put them in touch. A few months ago Matthes did the original podcast with Ray on Pulp MX. If you go to Pulphockey.com that original interview is there along with the first episode of the new Hockey podcast,
lestat
9/12/2015 1:54pm
he doesn't have a clue . stick to moto .
wsc96
Fantasy
474th
9/12/2015 2:14pm
I hope he keeps it as far separated from the moto stuff as possible. I.e. Seperate Twitter, Instagram, podcasts etc. I really couldn't care less about hockey.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
9/12/2015 2:21pm
My one worry was that he'd talk about the Leafs like they don't blow :p
9/12/2015 3:01pm
Now if he would just ditch the shitty Van Halen and start listening to punk rock, he would be my long lost brother.
Motodave15
9/12/2015 3:57pm
OW38B wrote:
Do you want to live bro?
Matthes
9/12/2015 4:09pm
Thanks everyone for checking it out or commenting..even the guy who said I don't have a clue. This is Vital, I would feel weird if everyone was in agreement about something.

Anyways, while I know a ton about hockey and follow it closely, in no way, shape or form do I know as much as Ray Ferraro. So the show's his really, I'm just there to ask questions, offer up a comment or two and use my interviewing skills to get the most out of him. There's no hockey podcast out there w a guy like Ray and I'm hoping to do something in the hockey side like I've done in moto.

I'm lucky to have a friend like Jeff Williams of 2UNDR/Projekt who knows Ray well and set this up for me. The first one we did in December, Ray seemed like he enjoyed it, gave me some of his time and when I floated this idea by him, I really didn't think he'd do it. Luckily for us, he said he'd be happy to do it and we worked out a deal. I'm putting a good chunk of change out of my pocket for his time and hopefully it pays off down the road.
9/12/2015 5:53pm
MX and SX are my number one but hockey is next. I love that Steve has a hockey show. I have been a Kings fan since 1989. The Kings and Steve's Leafs had an epic battle in 93 in the playoffs.

Loving Pulp Hockey. Great job, as usual, Steve!
cwtoyota
9/12/2015 6:11pm
Matthes wrote:
Thanks everyone for checking it out or commenting..even the guy who said I don't have a clue. This is Vital, I would feel weird if everyone...
Thanks everyone for checking it out or commenting..even the guy who said I don't have a clue. This is Vital, I would feel weird if everyone was in agreement about something.

Anyways, while I know a ton about hockey and follow it closely, in no way, shape or form do I know as much as Ray Ferraro. So the show's his really, I'm just there to ask questions, offer up a comment or two and use my interviewing skills to get the most out of him. There's no hockey podcast out there w a guy like Ray and I'm hoping to do something in the hockey side like I've done in moto.

I'm lucky to have a friend like Jeff Williams of 2UNDR/Projekt who knows Ray well and set this up for me. The first one we did in December, Ray seemed like he enjoyed it, gave me some of his time and when I floated this idea by him, I really didn't think he'd do it. Luckily for us, he said he'd be happy to do it and we worked out a deal. I'm putting a good chunk of change out of my pocket for his time and hopefully it pays off down the road.
Good for you Steve. Taking risk (your own cash) is part of business, but your success in moto shows your skill at doing these janky podcasts.

Just don't get all caught up in Hockey so far that you ditch all of us dirt-ball motocrossers. Weege is already on his way out with his big NASCAR gig and you've got a foot out the door and into the hockey rink.

We need someone to stay down here in the ghetto of motorsports serving up our audio moto-tainment each week.

avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
9/12/2015 6:15pm
Listening now. Ray is awesome. Steve's not too bad either. Tongue
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
9/12/2015 6:43pm
OW38B wrote:
Motodave15 wrote:
Do you want to live bro?
Just "keepin' it real" bro
9/12/2015 7:13pm
steve-- listened to the podcast, it was good. But can you please talk about the Blackhawks as much as you talk about the Maple queefs? But for real, how much insider info do you have like you do in moto? What is the deal with Kane? Whats the rumors? Will he be at training camp?
9/12/2015 9:29pm Edited Date/Time 9/12/2015 9:30pm
Is this listenable(I think it's a word Huh ) if I know jack shit about hockey?
mx836
9/12/2015 11:15pm
OW38B wrote:
I'm insulted and I don't even play hockey anymore.
hvaughn88
9/13/2015 5:13am
Is this listenable(I think it's a word Huh ) if I know jack shit about hockey?
I think it is. I follow hockey but not really close at all and I still enjoyed listening to it. Ray is easy to listen to and he seems to be pretty straightforward in his breakdowns, which is a breath of fresh air. Hockey guys aren't afraid to be honest, which is kind of a nice break from the Moto world.
Jspazz
9/13/2015 8:59am
MX and SX are my number one but hockey is next. I love that Steve has a hockey show. I have been a Kings fan since...
MX and SX are my number one but hockey is next. I love that Steve has a hockey show. I have been a Kings fan since 1989. The Kings and Steve's Leafs had an epic battle in 93 in the playoffs.

Loving Pulp Hockey. Great job, as usual, Steve!
Remember that series like it was yesterday. Kerry Fraser, worst ref of all time, runied my chances of seeing the cup in my town, to this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N51jmflc5Io
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
9/13/2015 9:53am
OW38B wrote:
mx836 wrote:
NFL is where it is at. Hockey tries........but they just can't get it done. No insult implied.

seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
9/13/2015 12:07pm
OW38B wrote:
mx836 wrote:
OW38B wrote:
NFL is where it is at. Hockey tries........but they just can't get it done. No insult implied.

O ok Dry
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
9/13/2015 12:27pm
Matthes wrote:
Thanks everyone for checking it out or commenting..even the guy who said I don't have a clue. This is Vital, I would feel weird if everyone...

Good for you Steve. I wish you nothing but success in your future endeavors. Just don't leave us completely!

By the way the other day I was cleaning out some old storage containers and dug out a couple of old Tim Ferry factory Yamaha posters and a few of my old hockey jerseys. I thought to myself, "Matthes would approve of this box."
9/14/2015 7:49pm
OW38B wrote:
mx836 wrote:
OW38B wrote:

Foot ball is a bunch of over paid, over weight, slow ass, egotistical jocks that celebrate with their giant egos after every play. YAY!! 'Lets all dance around for 20 min after I did such a great job tackling that guy with the ball" That was his job to tackle that guy!?! Why all the celebration!?!? The goalie in hockey doesn't start dancing every time he makes a save. I also hate the way football stops after every play, hockey is much faster game.
Prairieboy43
9/14/2015 9:37pm
Foot ball is a bunch of over paid, over weight, slow ass, egotistical jocks that celebrate with their giant egos after every play. YAY!! 'Lets all...
Foot ball is a bunch of over paid, over weight, slow ass, egotistical jocks that celebrate with their giant egos after every play. YAY!! 'Lets all dance around for 20 min after I did such a great job tackling that guy with the ball" That was his job to tackle that guy!?! Why all the celebration!?!? The goalie in hockey doesn't start dancing every time he makes a save. I also hate the way football stops after every play, hockey is much faster game.
Easy does it. Hockey players are just happy that no lineman can skate. a 270lb lineman that would skate, would be murder to defense. A 270lb lineman laying the wood on Chara. Then beat the crap out of Chara.
Agree cannot stand leafs. Your Hawks have the bullseye on them this year. My Oilers hope they make playoffs this Year. As for Ferraro he played for Brandon Wheat Kings (Jr). Perhaps that is why Matthes has a connection. Both from Manitoba (the friendly province) Evil

Post a reply to: Never played hockey but I'm listening to Matthes' Hockey Podcast

The Latest