Nerve Damage??

1/22/2015 7:14pm

This is what I have for my foot. It helps me a lot. Good luck.
jemcee
1/22/2015 7:46pm
Since my accident almost 12 years ago I've been on 400mg of Gabapentin 4 times a day which keeps my pains away fairly well (although if I see a leg injury or now that I'm thinking about them they'll 'burn') but if I miss or am really 'late' taking a dose I cop all sorts of weird pains and phantom feelings when I'm trying to sleep or waking up (or when my brain is not distracted by other things), shit like the feeling that my cash and prizes are caught under my body when I'm asleep or that I'm getting a really bad wedgie from the sheets but the most frustrating is, it's kinda hard to explain, but it's the feeling that my feet are up on a table or something similar and they are just holding on by the toes so I'm subconsciously trying to hold them up to save them slamming on the ground except I'm in bed haha but no matter how much I'm aware of that, I can't stop it.. Another one is the 'floating legs' which doesn't sound too bad but it fucken sucks and impossible to sleep through..

It's all a kick in the nuts cause I've got no feeling in them at all otherwise
gharmon
1/22/2015 8:37pm
1911 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/01/22/77760/s1200_image.jpg[/img] This is what I have for my foot. It helps me a lot. Good luck.

This is what I have for my foot. It helps me a lot. Good luck.
Can you walk on your foot now. I'm non wt bearing but I could not imagine putting my full weight on this thing. You guys are scaring the hell of of me talking 12months to ten damn years. I tell you what, I love to ride/race but if I ever get over this shit I'm done. It's not so much cause I cant take the pain but my grandson depends on me to ride and that's more important to me than my slow ass riding around running into all the fuckers that can't ride.

As mention earlier and elsewhere. I had a wreck back in august that left me with a broken arm, 2 broken ribs and a lacerated spleen all cause some little out of control shit in front of me swapped out going over a jump during practice leaving no where to go but straight into him. It was one of those combined short practice sessions you get on race day early that morning so you have no choice but ride in tighter confines that you would normally. And this wreck was some beginner that decided he needed to get out of my way as I was approaching him. So he slams on brakes and veers into my line to get out of the way on the face of a damn jump causing me to crash into him. So I'm going to spend the better part of a year down cause other people causing me to wreck. I know by being out there it's my fault but damn.

The best time of my life was the months I was down with the broken arm. I got to take my grandson racing every single weekend and we had a blast. I'm going to retire to being a paw paw, teacher, coach, taxi, best friend, etc to my grandson and just enjoy him riding/racing and dreaming about how good I used to be. lol. I suck by the way but I do love to ride.
Jeremy200
1/22/2015 10:51pm
2 years has always been an average for me.

The first 3 months suck the most, bearable after that. (shoulder, hip and ankle)

The Shop

Cancerman
1/22/2015 10:54pm
When you had the abdominal surgery, they may have cut through the pelvic nerve cluster, which comes out of your spinal cord. This can be common on any fairly serious operation in that area. I had cancer surgery through the abdominal area. When I woke up in ICU, them tried to get me on my feet after 3 days, and I found my left leg was not working correctly, and since I was on morphine, and later, opiates, my pain was masked. Once they got me off opiates, I went to tramadol, and gabapentin. This has not stopped or blocked the pain, like what you described, in my feet, as well as Knees and calves. Pain level is around 8 without meds, sometimes higher. With meds, I'm a 5 to 6. It's been going on 4 years now. A doctor in my pain clinic, finally admitted that you have 6 months typical, for the nerves to heal or quiet down. After that, you are stuck at where you are. My latest try is an SCS, or spinal cord stimulator. I just finished the temporary SCS trial, and they removed the probes 2 days ago. I found it had a few drawbacks, but the pain reduction was 70 to 90%, depending on location of pain. I'm going to go ahead with the full implant as I think this is going to be the only way I can deal with my pain. By the way, I found that increasing my dosage of gabapentin did not help, it just put me to sleep, I am sensitive to it. I felt stoned 24/7. No way to live. Good luck with you battle.Smile
ocscottie
1/22/2015 11:14pm
Try living every minute of your life feeling like your feet are sitting in a bucked full of hot lava! That is how bad my neuropathic (phantom) pains are, and they are only getting worse as the years go by. It feels like the flesh is melting off my bones Blink

It is pure HELL! and i have tried every single medication out there for it, but i have a weird system and get really bad side affects from all those types of meds.

Last November when i spent a few days in the hospital i talked with one of the top spinal surgeons from Stanford, and he said if there was ONE thing he wishes he could solve in SCI patients, it would be to alleviate neuropathic pain.

I wouldnt wish this on my worst enemy. Just talking about it makes it flare up worse.
sclark309d
Fantasy
1944th
1/22/2015 11:36pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2015 11:46pm
gharmon wrote " It was one of those combined short practice sessions..."

that's what got me too - some squirrel suddenly decided to wander from one side of the track to the other.crossing my line down a straightaway. Didn't see him till it was too late.

I KNEW I shouldn't have gone out with the slower guys, but it was the last practice of the day, and I needed to get the track layout down , so I figured I'd just go and be careful. Just wasn't careful enough I guess.

My club did away with combined practices after that. Experts practice with experts. Slower folk with slower folk.

Anyway, be careful of combined practices, if you ever get to ride again>

My residual pain is nothing like what some of you guys are experiencing, but enough to give me pause about riding again. Nearly 2 years down the road, I could ride again, but am just a bit gun shy

Then again, folks break shit badly just falling off their porches and stuff....
gharmon
1/22/2015 11:57pm
Sorry to hear about your troubles scottie!! Guess I shouldn't complain but it makes me feel better.

To the guys that mention side effects to the gabapentin, I don't really have any. It surely doesn't make me feel intoxicated at all.
Jeremy200
1/23/2015 2:08am
ocscottie wrote:
Try living every minute of your life feeling like your feet are sitting in a bucked full of hot lava! That is how bad my neuropathic...
Try living every minute of your life feeling like your feet are sitting in a bucked full of hot lava! That is how bad my neuropathic (phantom) pains are, and they are only getting worse as the years go by. It feels like the flesh is melting off my bones Blink

It is pure HELL! and i have tried every single medication out there for it, but i have a weird system and get really bad side affects from all those types of meds.

Last November when i spent a few days in the hospital i talked with one of the top spinal surgeons from Stanford, and he said if there was ONE thing he wishes he could solve in SCI patients, it would be to alleviate neuropathic pain.

I wouldnt wish this on my worst enemy. Just talking about it makes it flare up worse.
shit, that's not cool. frustrating when even meds don't work. i had not heard of phantom pain before.

i won't complain ever again.
MX_Andrew83
1/23/2015 5:21am
Idaho747 wrote:
When I broke my arm and had surgery I had the same things going on. A burning pinching feeling. Now it's just kinda numb on the...
When I broke my arm and had surgery I had the same things going on. A burning pinching feeling. Now it's just kinda numb on the surface.
I have this exact same issue
Corey_North
1/23/2015 5:54am
wooh, I won't go into details. But Tibial Plateau fracture left me with severed peroneal nerve and foot drop. I had an bi-lateral tendon transfer done. In other words, a tendon then ran along the inside of my foot is now routed through ankle and anchored to bone at top of foot to hold it up from drooping. I can no longer flex my tibialis anterior muscle, pretty much don't even have that muscle as its just gone from not being able to flew it in 2 years. Shittiest injury ever, no fixing torn nerves.

1/23/2015 8:11am
Yes, I can walk on my foot. It is not easy walking, but I can. The biggest thing with the pain is the time it takes to heal. It is hard to tell how much better you are getting. I remember walking into my bathroom a year after the last operation, barefoot feeling the floor being wet. It was not wet, the tile of the bathroom floor was cold!!! I could feel that with my bad foot. Then it took another 6 weeks before I was able to feel that again. It is slow going. Some days will be better then other. Hang it there.

gharmon
1/23/2015 11:57am
wooh, I won't go into details. But Tibial Plateau fracture left me with severed peroneal nerve and foot drop. I had an bi-lateral tendon transfer done...
wooh, I won't go into details. But Tibial Plateau fracture left me with severed peroneal nerve and foot drop. I had an bi-lateral tendon transfer done. In other words, a tendon then ran along the inside of my foot is now routed through ankle and anchored to bone at top of foot to hold it up from drooping. I can no longer flex my tibialis anterior muscle, pretty much don't even have that muscle as its just gone from not being able to flew it in 2 years. Shittiest injury ever, no fixing torn nerves.

Can you walk? Limb? Are you back to work yet?
Corey_North
1/23/2015 1:09pm
gharmon wrote:
Yes I can walk. Not really a limp but my stride has definitely changed, my leg is slightly curved like a hunting bow. It happened wake boarding. 4 surgeries on right leg in less then 2 years. Two of the surgeries were 12 weeks non weight bearing. After the tendon transfer I was back wake surfing, and able to flips on trampoline within 4 months, but never will be 100% again. Its permanent damage, doctor just robbed Peter to pay Paul with tendon transfer. Tear was to big to do a graph according to the neurologist that did the exploratory surgery to find the nerve actually torn (shown in pic).
1/23/2015 2:54pm
Yes I can walk. Not really a limp but my stride has definitely changed, my leg is slightly curved like a hunting bow. It happened wake...
Yes I can walk. Not really a limp but my stride has definitely changed, my leg is slightly curved like a hunting bow. It happened wake boarding. 4 surgeries on right leg in less then 2 years. Two of the surgeries were 12 weeks non weight bearing. After the tendon transfer I was back wake surfing, and able to flips on trampoline within 4 months, but never will be 100% again. Its permanent damage, doctor just robbed Peter to pay Paul with tendon transfer. Tear was to big to do a graph according to the neurologist that did the exploratory surgery to find the nerve actually torn (shown in pic).
My tendon transfer sounds much like yours. You seem to be getting around a little better then me. It sure was strange moving my foot up and down, with the tendon that moved my foot side to side. Almost like doing something backwards while looking in a mirror.
Corey_North
1/23/2015 3:25pm
Yes I can walk. Not really a limp but my stride has definitely changed, my leg is slightly curved like a hunting bow. It happened wake...
1911 wrote:
My tendon transfer sounds much like yours. You seem to be getting around a little better then me. It sure was strange moving my foot up...
My tendon transfer sounds much like yours. You seem to be getting around a little better then me. It sure was strange moving my foot up and down, with the tendon that moved my foot side to side. Almost like doing something backwards while looking in a mirror.
It has taking some time to adapt. As you can see mine is still partially connected even though its majorly stretched. Its seems as if some of the sensory fibers are still attached, which I supports why I have about 30% feeling down the right side of leg and top of foot. But the motion fibers seem to be the one that suffered the majority of the tear. To lift my foot the couple inches I can, I have adapted to use the motion of pushing my heel down which in turns contracts the tendon that is anchored in my foot to lift it. I still lack good support to keep from rolling my ankle on uneven ground.
gharmon
1/23/2015 10:03pm
Man, when I was laying face down in the dirt waiting on the ambulance I checked the ROM on all my other parts on that injuried leg. My foot and ankle where fine. When I got to the ER they were playing with this hole down by my knee saying that's where the femur came out. At that time I didn't even no I had an injury there. I said hell no that's not even where my leg hurts. Turns out there was a tad of blood on my footpeg. So we assume that's what made that hole. I'm gonna list a couple pics of that hole.

When I went to the first (local ER) they found that hole but once they found out I had the shattered acetabulum they decide to ship me off to a level one trauma center (University of Alabama at Birmingham). The original ER decided to do nothing with the open wound. So after the 2.5 hour ambulance ride to UAB, That ER said the original ER should have address that wound so they ended up having to do a pretty large I&D on that would during surgery. I'm wondering if they jacked up a nerve while doing that I&D or was my sciatic nerve really stretched like the ortho Dr said when the crash happened. Hell I don't know. I just wished it would get better.

The first pic is the original hole, the second and third is what it looked like after the I&D.

Cancerman
1/23/2015 10:14pm
ocscottie wrote:
Try living every minute of your life feeling like your feet are sitting in a bucked full of hot lava! That is how bad my neuropathic...

Scotty, have you ever looked into a SCS (spinal cord stimulator) system, which they implant. I just finished the test implant, and had some pretty good results. I'm waiting for my surgery date for the permanent system. The V.A. is having pretty decent results with them. Even if it reduces your pain 50%, it's worth a try. Good luck, I know how bad that kind of pain sucks. You pretty much can't do much of anything.
1/23/2015 11:01pm
gharmon wrote:
Man, when I was laying face down in the dirt waiting on the ambulance I checked the ROM on all my other parts on that injuried...
Man, when I was laying face down in the dirt waiting on the ambulance I checked the ROM on all my other parts on that injuried leg. My foot and ankle where fine. When I got to the ER they were playing with this hole down by my knee saying that's where the femur came out. At that time I didn't even no I had an injury there. I said hell no that's not even where my leg hurts. Turns out there was a tad of blood on my footpeg. So we assume that's what made that hole. I'm gonna list a couple pics of that hole.

When I went to the first (local ER) they found that hole but once they found out I had the shattered acetabulum they decide to ship me off to a level one trauma center (University of Alabama at Birmingham). The original ER decided to do nothing with the open wound. So after the 2.5 hour ambulance ride to UAB, That ER said the original ER should have address that wound so they ended up having to do a pretty large I&D on that would during surgery. I'm wondering if they jacked up a nerve while doing that I&D or was my sciatic nerve really stretched like the ortho Dr said when the crash happened. Hell I don't know. I just wished it would get better.

The first pic is the original hole, the second and third is what it looked like after the I&D.

Try a foot massage machine, or get some one to massage your foot. It helped me with the burning in my foot and toes. I also used a golf ball and rolled it around under my foot.
ocscottie
1/24/2015 12:30am
ocscottie wrote:

Cancerman wrote:
Scotty, have you ever looked into a SCS (spinal cord stimulator) system, which they implant. I just finished the test implant, and had some pretty good...
Scotty, have you ever looked into a SCS (spinal cord stimulator) system, which they implant. I just finished the test implant, and had some pretty good results. I'm waiting for my surgery date for the permanent system. The V.A. is having pretty decent results with them. Even if it reduces your pain 50%, it's worth a try. Good luck, I know how bad that kind of pain sucks. You pretty much can't do much of anything.
Yes i did look into that, but because of the placement of my hardware, he would have to go into my C-spine to implant them (my rods go from T1 to T7)...and im sorry but, even though its only a slight chance something could happen, i will NOT let anyone touch my spinal cord in the cervical area...period!

It is just not worth the risk of waking up from surgery and being a quad.
1/24/2015 7:42am
Going through the same thing myself. I forgot to pump my brakes after changing tires and took off down the straight at close to 130mph before realizing I had no brakes heading for a 40mph corner. Went out into the desert and the rear tire caught a bump which kicked up and the bike endo'd with me on it. Broke the left femur by the ball area into 6 pieces and the right one into 3, in addition to other stuff like broken shoulder, clavicle, ribs and a brain bleed.

The paramedic said my feet worked normally during a post crash observation, but when I woke up 4 days later my left foot had foot drop. Had nerve mapping and it seems the perenal nerve is most likely severed around the hip area.

That was over 8 months ago. Also on Gabby's and although they definitely help, the nerve pain is still there, and always will be from what I'm hearing. I just got weight bearing status recently and PT started yesterday. When I put weight on that foot it feels really weird, like the bottom of the foot isn't mine.

Honestly, for the first few months, pot was my best friend. A friend of mine brought some editables and that worked better than any of the pain meds.
gharmon
1/24/2015 8:27am
gharmon wrote:
Can you jog? Just curious. He told me there was a 50/50 chance that I would be able to run again. I don't have to job but I do like being able to chase after my grandson when he wrecks. At 43 I could still haul ass for 75-100 yards to help him out if needed. I would really love to be able to retain that ability!!
gharmon
1/24/2015 8:44am
Going through the same thing myself. I forgot to pump my brakes after changing tires and took off down the straight at close to 130mph before...
Going through the same thing myself. I forgot to pump my brakes after changing tires and took off down the straight at close to 130mph before realizing I had no brakes heading for a 40mph corner. Went out into the desert and the rear tire caught a bump which kicked up and the bike endo'd with me on it. Broke the left femur by the ball area into 6 pieces and the right one into 3, in addition to other stuff like broken shoulder, clavicle, ribs and a brain bleed.

The paramedic said my feet worked normally during a post crash observation, but when I woke up 4 days later my left foot had foot drop. Had nerve mapping and it seems the perenal nerve is most likely severed around the hip area.

That was over 8 months ago. Also on Gabby's and although they definitely help, the nerve pain is still there, and always will be from what I'm hearing. I just got weight bearing status recently and PT started yesterday. When I put weight on that foot it feels really weird, like the bottom of the foot isn't mine.

Honestly, for the first few months, pot was my best friend. A friend of mine brought some editables and that worked better than any of the pain meds.
Do they expect you to walk at a normal stride again with that severed nerve?
Corey_North
1/24/2015 12:11pm
gharmon wrote:
gharmon wrote:
Can you jog? Just curious. He told me there was a 50/50 chance that I would be able to run again. I don't have to job...
Can you jog? Just curious. He told me there was a 50/50 chance that I would be able to run again. I don't have to job but I do like being able to chase after my grandson when he wrecks. At 43 I could still haul ass for 75-100 yards to help him out if needed. I would really love to be able to retain that ability!!
Yes I can run, but I'm not setting any records. I can still do backflips on trampoline, wakeboard, wake surf, but nothing to my full athletic to my full capability. It definitely slowed me down some, but I would never let it defeat me.
Underdog999
1/24/2015 2:51pm Edited Date/Time 1/24/2015 2:51pm
I, too, struggle with constant nerve pain from nerve damage that resulted from a car crash. I couldn't use my right arm because of damage to my neck. I had two surgeries to my neck.

Short of it is, I have nerve pain in my right hand and fingers. It was horrible for a few years, but now it seems to come and go. I have good days and bad days. Good weeks, and bad weeks. I take gabapentin and tramadol. I tried Lyrica, but hated it. Made me feel weird, can't really explain why. Tramadol is non-narcotic and is a good pain management pill. For some, it makes them feel loopy. l used to take up to 4 a day, but now take 2.

Be patient, it may get better. Nerves do grow back over time. (small ones). I was told this and didn't believe anyone, but it has gotten somewhat better.
1/24/2015 5:10pm
Going through the same thing myself. I forgot to pump my brakes after changing tires and took off down the straight at close to 130mph before...

gharmon wrote:
I will have to wear an AFO foot brace to keep the toes from dragging, or pick my leg up really high to prevent it. Other than that it sounds like I will probably have a slight limp. My biggest problem is buying a dang electric shifter at $800 for every motorcycle I ride. And, finding out if I can keep my left foot on the peg with the limited movement.

No matter what, I will ride again, beginning as soon as I can be sure the bones are fully healed and the strength is there to hold up the bike as needed. I'm getting the Urban Express ready to start, then the Trail 90 and then I should have the strength to get on the real bikes.
1/24/2015 5:50pm
I will have to wear an AFO foot brace to keep the toes from dragging, or pick my leg up really high to prevent it. Other...
I will have to wear an AFO foot brace to keep the toes from dragging, or pick my leg up really high to prevent it. Other than that it sounds like I will probably have a slight limp. My biggest problem is buying a dang electric shifter at $800 for every motorcycle I ride. And, finding out if I can keep my left foot on the peg with the limited movement.

No matter what, I will ride again, beginning as soon as I can be sure the bones are fully healed and the strength is there to hold up the bike as needed. I'm getting the Urban Express ready to start, then the Trail 90 and then I should have the strength to get on the real bikes.
Any chance for a tendon transfer? I have a AFO, used it for the same reason, toes dragging. Had to pick up my foot real high. I got the tendon transfer done. Holds my foot up, keeps my toes up. See if you are a candidate. I do not need the AFO any more. Happy you are going to get back on a bike!
Dx3moto
1/24/2015 5:58pm Edited Date/Time 1/24/2015 5:59pm
abn166 wrote:
I broke my Humerous bone 9 years ago. The bone ended up on a nerve stretching it a bit. The nerve controlled the muscle that allows...
I broke my Humerous bone 9 years ago. The bone ended up on a nerve stretching it a bit. The nerve controlled the muscle that allows me to lift my arm over my head. I was unable to lift my arm for 3 months. Then one day i could lift it a little bit. Within 2 weeks it was back to normal. i was originally told it could take several months to a year or never.
Your problem is obviously much different but the point is nerve problems can take quite a while to heal if they do heal. Good luck and I hope the pain goes away soon.
Same thing happened to my humerous. I wasn't able to lift my arm any more than about 15 degrees from my side without assistance for about 2 weeks.
Trav138
1/24/2015 6:08pm
I will have to wear an AFO foot brace to keep the toes from dragging, or pick my leg up really high to prevent it. Other...

Thats what i like to hear Roger. I enjoy hearing about people over coming adversity to achieve their goals. I too refuse to give up riding, due to a right below knee amputation from a moto crash in April 2012. I've had many setbacks and its been a real struggle at times but the thoughts of riding kept me from hitting the gutter. Sounds like you are almost there and i wish you the best.
I also have to set my bikes up way different now, but i enjoy that part of motorcycling, working on the bikes. I have to relocate my back brake to the handlebar now, and have a couple different setups to test in the spring. Stay strong-- Travis
gharmon
1/24/2015 8:33pm

gharmon wrote:

That's awesome to hear. But I'm a little different I guess. If I can get well my days of riding will be limited. I love riding but this having a wreck on august 10th that had me out of work until Nov.24th. I then go back to work for less than a month and on Dec 21st I have another wreck that's gonna have me out of work for god knows how long. I can't keep putting my family in these type situations. I have a grandson that's 6 that now because of my wreck isn't getting to ride his new cobra he got for Christmas because of my wrecking. Who's knows if I'll ever be able to chase him down again and help him out when he falls over.

To be honest I think if I was sitting on a dirt bike right now I feel like I could ride it. I'm not sure how hard it would be to pull the shifter up with my extremely sensitive left foot. Also I have very limited movement in pulling my toes up (the anterior tibia muscle it pretty much gone but I can pull it up some just don't know it I could change the gears. I believe the soreness would prevent it more than the movement of my foot. I'm just hoping i'm still limited a lot as I'm just about to be 5 weeks post surgery. I'm hoping and praying I get a chance to chase after my grandson again a lot more than I'm hoping to ride again. I also have two sons that still race so I will be around the track for a long time.

Some will call me a quitter but I would much rather help my grandson than to ride myself. But hell I've already caught myself thinking about a new electric start KTM 350 in 3 or so years. I'm just not saying anything to my family about it. I may convert to woods or something. I've been riding since I was like 5. Not always moto but I've always had a dirt bike of some sort.

And here to hoping all of you fellows (my moto brothers) get well and your injuries heal up well for y'all. I'll be pulling for ya fellows!!

Post a reply to: Nerve Damage??

The Latest