Need advice and input on parting out a bike

bh
Edited Date/Time 3/20/2017 5:24pm
Ok I'm thinking about parting out an 04 rm 250 and putting tue money into my 125. The bike probably has under 100 hours. The only bad part of the bike is the wheels, they have some dents and the rear is missing a spoke. Do you guys think I could part it out and make $2000-$2500?
|
loftyair
3/20/2017 5:31pm
No. I wouldn't do it. You might end up with 2k if you're lucky. But it will take a year, and you will deal with every 'expert' along the way. 'Haggle city'.
rrjr
3/20/2017 11:06pm Edited Date/Time 3/20/2017 11:15pm
You'll make more parting it out. But it's kind of a hassle. Best way to do it is to do a search on ebay for similar items that have already sold to get an idea of what to price your stuff. Take the bike apart and take several pictures of each item. weigh each item including shipping materials. then look on USPS or UPS and get shipping rates to the zip code that is farthest from your location but still in the lower 48 that way you'll know what to charge for shipping. List the items on ebay. I usually add the shipping cost to the listing price and then offer free shipping. it makes people think they're getting a better deal. Also sometimes I'll add 10-15% to the listing price and make the listing available to best price offers.

What doesn't work is to just post ads that say you're parting the bike out and for people to contact you for what they need.
You'll end up with a bunch of flakes contacting you and if you do sell something and take the parts off the bike as they get sold you'll have a partially disassembled bike getting in your way. Best to treat it as a business. Package everything up ahead of time so when it's sold you can ship it the same day someone pays for it.

I've done it this way a couple of times. It works but it took a while to sell some of the small stuff. I parted out a 2010 Cobra 50cc bike that was in excellent condition that I tried to sell for $500.00 and I ended up getting almost a $1000 after subtracting the ebay fees by parting it out.

Also the further you break the bike down the more money you'll make and the less you'll pay for shipping. For example instead of selling the engine as a single item, sell the head, cylinder, clutch, stator and bottom end as separate items.
mark_swart
3/21/2017 10:39am
Such a hassle. And eBay's fees have gone up over the years as well, tie that in with shipping and it adds up. Just sell it and get on with your life... think of it this way what's your time worth?
Dtat720
3/21/2017 10:46am Edited Date/Time 3/21/2017 10:47am
Id take the complete cylinder/head/ power valve off your hands right now. Ive been searching for 5 months now for one that isnt a ridiculous price or in another country

The Shop

seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
3/21/2017 10:50am Edited Date/Time 3/21/2017 10:50am
The problem is all the miscellaneous parts on an older bike. If you part out a newer bike you can get rid of everything over time but with an older bike, all the brakes and clamps and all that you basically have to give away.
wfo4ever
3/21/2017 11:17am
Ebay is a major pain in the ass, the fees have gone up, and you have to deal with Paypal and their fees also. Shipping prices have gone up and shipping items can be a pain, items broken, lost, and you need boxes and other supplies. There are a lot of scammers buying on Ebay. You sell them a good part, then they tell Ebay it is not as described, a case is opened, Paypal puts a hold on the money for the item you sold and then Ebay tells the buyer to send you the item back. I have had buyers send me back there bad part and kept my good part. Ebay gives the buyer a full refund from your Paypal account as soon as it shows it has been delivered to your address via UPS or USPS because they scan the box to show it has been delivered. I quit dealing with Ebay buying or selling, never again, one big scam with very high fees. They always side with the buyer and the seller gets screwed. Sell the bike and move on and never use Ebay. I do buy stuff from Amazon with no problems at all, very reputable company.
RandyS
3/21/2017 12:48pm
I've parted out quite a few bikes, but it's stuff I buy for a few hundred. I can turn a $200 bike into a $1000 bike pretty easy but as said above it may take years. A running 2004 RM250 is easily $2000 or more around here, I think you'd do better selling it as is. Take a few hundred of the money and buy a couple of non running bikes from the 70s or 80s, you'll do a lot better and end up with a long term supply of extra play money.
bh
3/21/2017 1:20pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2017 1:21pm
Well the think is the bike is broke down completely. I just need to clear $2000 and I'll make a profit.
rrjr
3/21/2017 2:44pm
wfo4ever wrote:
Ebay is a major pain in the ass, the fees have gone up, and you have to deal with Paypal and their fees also. Shipping prices...
Ebay is a major pain in the ass, the fees have gone up, and you have to deal with Paypal and their fees also. Shipping prices have gone up and shipping items can be a pain, items broken, lost, and you need boxes and other supplies. There are a lot of scammers buying on Ebay. You sell them a good part, then they tell Ebay it is not as described, a case is opened, Paypal puts a hold on the money for the item you sold and then Ebay tells the buyer to send you the item back. I have had buyers send me back there bad part and kept my good part. Ebay gives the buyer a full refund from your Paypal account as soon as it shows it has been delivered to your address via UPS or USPS because they scan the box to show it has been delivered. I quit dealing with Ebay buying or selling, never again, one big scam with very high fees. They always side with the buyer and the seller gets screwed. Sell the bike and move on and never use Ebay. I do buy stuff from Amazon with no problems at all, very reputable company.
That sucks. I've bought and sold thousands of things on ebay including complete motorcycles. I've never had a single problem. I agree the fees have gone up but it's the cost of doing business. I just figure the fees into my asking price.
It's pretty easy to spot a scammer. Check their feedback. If they have a bunch of really low price purchases with good feedback. They probably bought that stuff to get their ranking up. If they have cancelled a bid. Or filed any complaints. Unpaid claims filed against them. Stay away from those people.

You can get free shipping boxes from the Post Office. If you go online you can order them and your Mailman will deliver them right to your door. No charge.

Have your buyers send you the money through paypal using friends and family. I've also let buyers pay using a money order that was purchased at a US Post Office. Then I took the part to the Post Office and if they cashed the money order I shipped the part. Never had a problem. I'm not sure if the Post Office still sells money orders. It was several years ago the last time I did it that way.
KDXGarage
3/22/2017 1:36am
Someone does not get PayPal buyer protection when sending money as friend or family. I would never pay a seller like that.
bh
3/28/2017 5:17pm Edited Date/Time 3/28/2017 5:18pm
Dtat720 wrote:
Id take the complete cylinder/head/ power valve off your hands right now. Ive been searching for 5 months now for one that isnt a ridiculous price...
Id take the complete cylinder/head/ power valve off your hands right now. Ive been searching for 5 months now for one that isnt a ridiculous price or in another country
Hey I sent you a pm about the cylinder/head if you're interested.
3/28/2017 5:26pm
I parted out a whole street bike through a forum like this. I made more than I would have selling it. I had to do ebay for some parts.
rrjr
3/28/2017 5:28pm
KDXGarage wrote:
Someone does not get PayPal buyer protection when sending money as friend or family. I would never pay a seller like that.
And you're probably someone who would file a claim against a seller before talking to them first to work the problem out.

If you don't trust the seller you shouldn't be buying from him in the first place.
Rockinar
3/28/2017 5:34pm
loftyair wrote:
No. I wouldn't do it. You might end up with 2k if you're lucky. But it will take a year, and you will deal with every...
No. I wouldn't do it. You might end up with 2k if you're lucky. But it will take a year, and you will deal with every 'expert' along the way. 'Haggle city'.
THIS.

But now its a "bike in a box" and worthless.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
3/28/2017 6:04pm Edited Date/Time 3/28/2017 6:22pm
Ive done it a lot over the years and had good success woth it. Assess what you have by looking at the most desirable parts and estimate what kind on money they will bring. If they get you to the money you need or even close, then the rest is gravy. If your most popular, easiest to sell parts dont really get you that close, then you may have your answer. The extra hassle was worth it to me as it was like I was operating with house money at that point. However, the reality is some bikes arent worth much as a whole or parted out.

KX (and Yamahas can be) superminis are a good example. A lot of people want to convert an 85 to a supermini and things like swingarms, frames, and wheels are in high demand. You can often part out a supermini for more, or pretty close, than by selling the whole unit and you still have parts leftover.

Lastly, post your zip code (along with approx. weights and sizes, if you want to) in your ad's, along with the explanation why. You can eliminate a lot of the freight questions usually asked by tire kickers.

I didnt read all of the posts, so forgive me if I was redundant.
Dtat720
3/28/2017 6:16pm
Dtat720 wrote:
Id take the complete cylinder/head/ power valve off your hands right now. Ive been searching for 5 months now for one that isnt a ridiculous price...
bh wrote:
Hey I sent you a pm about the cylinder/head if you're interested.
Email me dtat720@yahoo.com im interested
bh
3/28/2017 6:52pm Edited Date/Time 3/28/2017 6:52pm
Rockinar wrote:
THIS.

But now its a "bike in a box" and worthless.
It's been a bike in a box for about 2 months now. It was supposed to be my summer project but I want to put the money into my 125.
bh
4/1/2017 7:46pm
Dtat720 wrote:
Email me dtat720@yahoo.com im interested
Hey if you're still interested text me at 8644343757.
Acidreamer
4/1/2017 8:57pm
Fix it and sell it for $2500. Theres not a huge market for random parts like a subframe or a left fork. It will take a while to sell
RF145
4/1/2017 9:04pm
I stopped using eBay for selling parts years ago for the many reasons listed above in other posts. Mostly the fees though.
Yet, I can still part out a bike and do just fine.
I use the forum here, Mark's Swap Meet on the web and, do not laugh, I do really well on Facebook. I hate FB for Facebooking, but I joined a couple dozen motorcycle related groups and focus my parts in whichever group they best fit and have no issues.

Post a reply to: Need advice and input on parting out a bike

The Latest