Need setting tip, go high or low bar?

DrSweden
8/25/2010 8:12pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 1:10pm
I'm sorry for this nonsense but this is killing me. I'm 6"1 and I used to have issues with these small bikes from Japan, all the Fs. I'm used to raise the bar, the seat and even tried these lower pegs. But when I bought my KX250F, it didn't feel necessary like it felt with the CRF. So that's good, maybe some mental thing because I did some fast measuring between the CRF and the KXF and the distance between peg, upper clamp and seat was equal, actually the seat on the CR was 1/3 taller? Again I did this measurement in a haze but it was disturbing news since I loved the cockpit on my KXF so much better than the CRF (ouch)...

Anyway this weekend I put bar raisers on my KXF just to try how it felt compared to the standard and if I then should by RC High bend or something because I don't like these bar raiser that much. Anyway I discovered that it was so much nicer to stand up (no surprise). I felt so much comfortable while jumping. Things seemed so effortless until I hit the corners and the bike felt like a chopper! The front wheel now plows like it has no traction what so ever. If I exaggerate it feels like I lost 50 % traction and it's not possible to "attack" (in a slow B-rider kind of a way) corners with the same confidence.

This is really a stupid problem compared to JS7 many brain-farts or world starvation, but I can choose which one of these settings will make me faster?

What would you suggest? Go for more confidence in corners or at straights and in jumps?

What would you think the pro would do? Smile
|
CamP
8/25/2010 8:36pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2010 8:37pm
I'm a bit taller and I like to run RC Highs in a top clamp that allows me to move the bar mounts forward. I also run the stock seat to prevent raising my CG in the corners and stock peg height to prevent twisted ankles/knees. I found that mounting the bars forward puts a little more body weight on the front in corners compared to bar risers in the stock bar mount location. This helps reduce some of the vague front end feeling that risers alone tend to create. The open cockpit definitely improves the taller rider's ability to attack whoops and jumps and aids in the transition from sitting to standing.
8/25/2010 8:46pm
I don't know why bar raisers would affect your steer-ability unless it changed your fork rake? My only other guess would be the taller bars somehow modified your riding position and the change in steering is a result.
DrSweden
8/25/2010 9:04pm
TripleFive wrote:
I don't know why bar raisers would affect your steer-ability unless it changed your fork rake? My only other guess would be the taller bars somehow...
I don't know why bar raisers would affect your steer-ability unless it changed your fork rake? My only other guess would be the taller bars somehow modified your riding position and the change in steering is a result.
Tnx guys. Yes, as Camp kind of point out, the bar raiser tend to push you backwards since the not only raise the bar, the tend to push it close to you because of the rake.

I will now search for a upper clamp that is adjustable. Damn more $...
DrSweden
8/25/2010 9:05pm
Hey Cam. How is that old Zook you ride compared to the newer CRF? As fun, or do one long for a modern bike after a few laps?

The Shop

adamdf
8/25/2010 9:39pm
TripleFive wrote:
I don't know why bar raisers would affect your steer-ability unless it changed your fork rake? My only other guess would be the taller bars somehow...
DrSweden wrote:
Tnx guys. Yes, as Camp kind of point out, the bar raiser tend to push you backwards since the not only raise the bar, the tend...
Tnx guys. Yes, as Camp kind of point out, the bar raiser tend to push you backwards since the not only raise the bar, the tend to push it close to you because of the rake.

I will now search for a upper clamp that is adjustable. Damn more $...
You just need reversible bar mounts that will fit the stock clamp, not an actual top triple clamp.

As far as bars go, it seems taller guys like the Windham bars if i'm not mistaken...btw the KX250F is an awesome bike, love mine..much more than the KX450 i just recently sold, thats becaause i ride a lot of hard packed, if i rode more long open loamy or sand tracks i would probably still have the 450..
CamP
8/25/2010 9:46pm
DrSweden wrote:
Hey Cam. How is that old Zook you ride compared to the newer CRF? As fun, or do one long for a modern bike after a...
Hey Cam. How is that old Zook you ride compared to the newer CRF? As fun, or do one long for a modern bike after a few laps?
It's crazy but I love riding that old RM as much as my CRF. The CRF makes everything easy and it's great if you feel lazy but still want to blast over everything. The RM is much more challenging and the harder you ride it, the better it works.
CamP
8/25/2010 9:50pm
adamdf wrote:
You just need reversible bar mounts that will fit the stock clamp, not an actual top triple clamp. As far as bars go, it seems taller...
You just need reversible bar mounts that will fit the stock clamp, not an actual top triple clamp.

As far as bars go, it seems taller guys like the Windham bars if i'm not mistaken...btw the KX250F is an awesome bike, love mine..much more than the KX450 i just recently sold, thats becaause i ride a lot of hard packed, if i rode more long open loamy or sand tracks i would probably still have the 450..
Stock reversible bar mounts only buy you a few millimeters. Some aftermarket top clamps allow you to move the bars forward as much as 18mm.

Windham bars aren't really tall at all. They are identical to the Renthal 971 that comes stock on the CRF's. The RC high has the same 54mm sweep as the KW but it's 20mm taller.
Shawn142
8/25/2010 9:55pm
I'm 6'2" and have had issues with the bar height on bikes since I was 16. Our answer has been to machine 1 inch bar raisers that fit between the clamps directly under the bars. No modified triple clamps or expensive aftermarket parts. It's really easy enough you could make a set by hand with a saw and drill. It has always allowed me to comfortably stand up straight and not hunched over from 125s all the way to 450s.
CamP
8/25/2010 10:14pm
Shawn142 wrote:
I'm 6'2" and have had issues with the bar height on bikes since I was 16. Our answer has been to machine 1 inch bar raisers...
I'm 6'2" and have had issues with the bar height on bikes since I was 16. Our answer has been to machine 1 inch bar raisers that fit between the clamps directly under the bars. No modified triple clamps or expensive aftermarket parts. It's really easy enough you could make a set by hand with a saw and drill. It has always allowed me to comfortably stand up straight and not hunched over from 125s all the way to 450s.
Shawn, I've seen your setup and with your aggressive forward leaning riding style, you're probably one of the people here that would most like a more forward mounted bar. At the least you would probably prefer the RC High bars over the risers because you can roll them forward more without pointing the ends of the bars up. That will buy you a little knee room that the risers don't allow.
dicko187
8/25/2010 10:15pm
I'm 6'1" and I used a set of Pro Tapers in Windham bend for about 3 years, then finally bent those ones and got a set of Renthal RC high's had them for about 3 weeks before they bent and went back to Windham bend.

The Windham's are heaps more comfortable for me, and seem to give me alot more control over the bike, the RC highs were making the front end plow and seem to have no traction for me too DrSweeden, they were just too high and seemed to twist in the clamps alot easier aswell..

The only other thing I've done to my 250 is Change the spring rates to suit my weight which made the biggest difference of all.
dlowe102
8/26/2010 7:38am
I use washers that are the same size as the mounts under the barmounts with renthal twinwall emig/stewart bend...Im 6'2 and i use the standard seat hieght..ive tried taller seats but it made my bars feel to low and gave me a on top of the bike feel.
I will never use lower pegs as ive ridden with those and they feel wack.
I suggest adding washers a little at a time so you dont have to adapt to a huge change but remember when you raise the clamps it also brings the bars back towards you.
Im very picky about where my bars are all my friends laugh at me if I think they moved Im freaking out.
DrSweden
8/26/2010 7:59am
Tnx for the input people. I think I will go for a aftermarket clamp so I can move the bar forward and the RC-high. Makes the most sense right now!
Adam43
8/26/2010 8:04am
RC-high is the key. I like mine, it really opens up the pocket a lot more.

I wouldn't worry so much about the clamp. The RC-high doesn't have much sweep, so you can really roll it a long ways ahead in the clamp without any weird effects.
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
8/26/2010 9:36am
RC high is the ticket. As far as the turning goes you may need to raise the forks up in the clamps to adjust for the different set up.Just a thought.
DrSweden
8/26/2010 9:40am
Good people! I will order a bar, and I will hunt you down if I don't increase speed! Smile
Bret
8/26/2010 9:42am
Keep the RC high bars. Slide the forks up in the clamps a little more. Make sure the rear sag is set correctly and that you have the proper spring for your weight.

Post a reply to: Need setting tip, go high or low bar?

The Latest