Need help with contacts

motomike894
11/30/2014 6:02pm Edited Date/Time 12/1/2014 7:57pm
I've been wearing glasses since I was like 7.

At 33 I reached my limit riding with glasses them getting fogged up, sweaty, seems like worse Vision at night etc and I race lot of night races.

I have never had luck with contacts but have been trying them for about month and half now or so wearing them almost everyday.

My problem is half the time they get blurry or foggy doesn't really bother me normal day to say stuff but when riding I literally can't see ruts etc as well.

I've ridden I think 5-6 times with them and only once did I go almost whole day with almost no issues.

Is it something I need to give more time or maybe I just can't wear them riding or need different ones ?

I'm wearing dailies aqua comfort plus my eye doctor said daily ones would be best for me doing mx my script is -8.50 in both eyes.

When they are not blurry etc it's freaking awesome no more fogging up sweat etc but riding today they got blurry half time riding making it harder to go fast and dangerous.

Any help it suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks!
|
Joko
Fantasy
239th
11/30/2014 6:07pm
Get gas permeable lens, vision is way better. Takes a couple weeks to adapt to them, mine is -8.75 too.
Brad460
Fantasy
807th
11/30/2014 6:30pm Edited Date/Time 11/30/2014 6:31pm
Is there something odd with your eyes? I have worn soft contacts by Frequency for 14+ years and never had any issues you are describing.

Do you have a astigmatism in one of your eyes? I know early on my Dr did not think my astigmatism was bad enough to require a toric lens but after a month of blurry vision he finally switched me to a toric in my left eye.

Another option is corrective surgery..ever thought of that?

j368
11/30/2014 6:38pm
I wear 1 day Acuvue contacts and have never had the problem your describing. Might want to try another brand and see what happens. Most eye doctors will give you a few samples to try before you buy.
TallonT911
11/30/2014 6:53pm Edited Date/Time 11/30/2014 6:54pm
I've had issues with it being blurry but usually only when they are contacts I've been using for a while.

Maybe try making sure that your goggles aren't letting any air through, that could be causing them to get dry/blurry.
I know if I take my goggles off even when just trail riding my contacts get really blurry.

The Shop

motomike894
11/30/2014 7:05pm
They didn't say I had astigmatism but maybe I do it happens in both eyes I'd say if I were to guess worse maybe in right eye.

I rode a whole day indoors almost no issues then today got to ride outside and was horrible all day.

My buddy told me to give it another month but that just doesn't seem right to take that long get used them he wears the ones you can just leave in for like week or two straight.

Thanks for input I might call eye doctor and go back in too i went to a new person this time and seemed to do a good job with everything.
motomike894
11/30/2014 7:06pm
I would do laser surgery if I qualified don't know if I would but I am not in position to afford that for while.
Rdubs19
11/30/2014 7:12pm
I didn't know contacts could screw up your riding vision. I read somewhere that Barcia had the same issue. Glad to know my acuve oasyes are the explanation for all the bad starts, goon whips, front end tucks, loop outs, and times I got stuck in the gate.
motomike894
11/30/2014 7:15pm
Rdubs19 wrote:
I didn't know contacts could screw up your riding vision. I read somewhere that Barcia had the same issue. Glad to know my acuve oasyes are...
I didn't know contacts could screw up your riding vision. I read somewhere that Barcia had the same issue. Glad to know my acuve oasyes are the explanation for all the bad starts, goon whips, front end tucks, loop outs, and times I got stuck in the gate.
Lol it was getting sketchy today wearing them though was pissing me off
Rdubs19
11/30/2014 7:26pm
Dude, just get lasik. My dad got it, and he manages to throw his harley aircraft carrier through some twisties damn near as fast as I'll hit them on my FZ-09. He's also a f'ing maniac, but it still takes good vision. Does a bunch of RC plane stuff which def takes good eyesight and he's in his 50s, got the surgery like 10 years ago and still 110%. Highly recommended.
wwoberg
11/30/2014 7:32pm
I'm 47. Have always had terrible eyes, cannot see the big E. When I was 14-18 I wore contacts because of moto. Always......always.... Always struggled riding with them. Threw them out and went Dick Burlison style for the longest time. Now with good goggles (Oakley L) I have no issues.

Although a buddy of mine had lasicks and said it made him faster
reded
11/30/2014 8:09pm
I've been wearing glasses since I was like 7. At 33 I reached my limit riding with glasses them getting fogged up, sweaty, seems like worse...
I've been wearing glasses since I was like 7.

At 33 I reached my limit riding with glasses them getting fogged up, sweaty, seems like worse Vision at night etc and I race lot of night races.

I have never had luck with contacts but have been trying them for about month and half now or so wearing them almost everyday.

My problem is half the time they get blurry or foggy doesn't really bother me normal day to say stuff but when riding I literally can't see ruts etc as well.

I've ridden I think 5-6 times with them and only once did I go almost whole day with almost no issues.

Is it something I need to give more time or maybe I just can't wear them riding or need different ones ?

I'm wearing dailies aqua comfort plus my eye doctor said daily ones would be best for me doing mx my script is -8.50 in both eyes.

When they are not blurry etc it's freaking awesome no more fogging up sweat etc but riding today they got blurry half time riding making it harder to go fast and dangerous.

Any help it suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks!
It almost sounds like you're not blinking enough when you ride. I've worn contacts for 30 of my 41yrs and the only time I've had problems while riding is either with dirt inside the goggles after a big crash or forgetting to blink and the lens loses it's suction which blurs my vision until I can get it cleared up.
yzjs7
11/30/2014 9:03pm
I wear contacts everyday and have never had issues. Talk to your eye doctor.
bvm111
11/30/2014 9:10pm Edited Date/Time 11/30/2014 9:10pm
j368 wrote:
I wear 1 day Acuvue contacts and have never had the problem your describing. Might want to try another brand and see what happens. Most eye...
I wear 1 day Acuvue contacts and have never had the problem your describing. Might want to try another brand and see what happens. Most eye doctors will give you a few samples to try before you buy.
X2 on the acuvue... I actually only wear my contacts when I ride downhill or moto and stick to glasses during the week due to my weird astigmatism in both eyes. I bring eye drops with me and drop them in the cooler and just give a couple drops before I put the goggles on, they are very refreshing right before I go out to ride. Doing that almost eliminated any blurring or shifting when I ride, barring 1 time 20 years ago my right one flicked out when I lamded from a big jump I have never really had any issues!

Good luck with them!
Cancerman
11/30/2014 9:27pm
j368 wrote:
I wear 1 day Acuvue contacts and have never had the problem your describing. Might want to try another brand and see what happens. Most eye...
I wear these also, and I've found that my astigmatism in one eye effected my riding and balance, I was crashing more often in situations where I normally did not have these problems. I can run(in the past), bike, etc, with no problems, but on the M/C offroad/MX, it seems to effect me. I also found that in really rough sections, my contacts would skid or slide around, effecting my vision, and confidence. Since my medical problems and getting older, I have dry eyes that contribute to the contact issues. I've started riding again with glasses. I don't fall down so much......Whistling
12/1/2014 12:54am
I have issues with dry eyes that cause similar symptoms. If I don't carry eye drops for contacts I'm lost. I've been using restasis in my eyes every morning about twenty minutes before I put in my contacts and it's helped a bunch. Some brands of contacts are bad about exacerbating the dry eye symptoms.
hellion
12/1/2014 4:02am
One thing to keep in mind about LASIK is that it doesn't last forever. My wife and I both had it done about 17 years ago, and within the last year we both realized we needed glasses again. Also, the LASIK reshaped our corneas to the point that contacts now don't fit as well. Thus I'm riding Dick Burleson style at the moment. Working on finding comfortable contacts too.
I had the same issues as the OP when I wore contacts many years ago and it was usually caused by concentrating so intently that I forgot to blink.
motomike894
12/1/2014 5:46am
Yeah I'm going to call them today and go back in like even now they've been in for hour half and I'm just at work in a office and they getting fuzzy here or there already
reded
12/1/2014 6:54am
You don't have contacts that agree with your eyes. Like Green said, keep trying different brands until you find the one that works best. I've been using Air Optics for the last few years with excellent results.
Darryl916
12/1/2014 7:39am
I have an astigmatism and are prescribed glasses but hardly ever wear them or contacts day to day. I purchased contacts specifically for moto and wear them every time I ride. I have never had a problem with my vision during a moto since I've been wearing contacts (for the last year). I'm more comfortable at speed with them.

I did a moto recently where it was pretty cold and windy and did have a problem with my vision blurred from excessive eye watering but I'm not sure that had anything to do with the contacts, probably more so the cold. It was in the 40's that day.
Rupert X
12/1/2014 9:04am
www.zennioptical.com ORDER their $35.00 prescription sports goggles, ( with your prescription) - when you receive your goggles approximately, a week later, remove the insert from the goggles,throw these goggles away, now place the inserts in your fancy $85 goggles. Problem fixed, Had mine for about 3 years now, LOVE 'em !

Order several pairs of prescription glasses and sunglasses while you're shopping at Zenni, you'll be a lifelong customer, too...

Now quit ********** around Mike, go to Zenni with YOUR prescription. Do it now.

Cheers - Rup

Rupert X
12/1/2014 9:12am

FRAME #703318 still $35... JUST CHECKED

Also,for my fellow "four-eyed freaks", go get your prescription from your eye doctor ( some are reluctant to actually give you that - YOUR information) and then order a bunch of $7-15 dollar spectacles and sunglasses. Youll thank me later....

www.zennioptical.com

nytsmaC
12/1/2014 9:30am
Pop them out and soak them in contact solution for a few minutes before motoing. MIne get blurry when I've had them in for too long.
RutDipper
12/1/2014 10:25am
Rupert X wrote:
FRAME #703318 still $35... JUST CHECKED Also,for my fellow "four-eyed freaks", go get your prescription from your eye doctor ( some are reluctant to actually give...

Also,for my fellow "four-eyed freaks", go get your prescription from your eye doctor ( some are reluctant to actually give you that - YOUR information) and then order a bunch of $7-15 dollar spectacles and sunglasses. Youll thank me later....

www.zennioptical.com

That's amazing!!....what about tear offs, any ideas on how to get that to work ...maybe glue some posts on the lense?

Also what name brand goggle frame are u using with this lense?
Skerby
12/1/2014 11:12am
I haven't read any of the other replies, but I have been riding with contacts the whole time I've been riding (10+ years).

Dailies do not work for moto. I wear the 30 day day and nights. I put them in and leave them there for months at a time and they work awesome for moto
Rupert X
12/1/2014 12:09pm
Rupert X wrote:
FRAME #703318 still $35... JUST CHECKED Also,for my fellow "four-eyed freaks", go get your prescription from your eye doctor ( some are reluctant to actually give...

www.zennioptical.com

RutDipper wrote:
That's amazing!!....what about tear offs, any ideas on how to get that to work ...maybe glue some posts on the lense? Also what name brand goggle...
That's amazing!!....what about tear offs, any ideas on how to get that to work ...maybe glue some posts on the lense?

Also what name brand goggle frame are u using with this lense?

I've been using some OAKLEYS of late, I suppose you could do tear offs like any other goggle, the lenses from Zenni go inisde your regular goggles....
haydos25
Fantasy
3302nd
12/1/2014 1:00pm
My biggest issue with contacts is they fall out. I find myself having to pack a couple spare sets of dailys each time i go out because i usually lose atleast one at some stage throughout the day.

The only thing i can put it down to is not blinking enough, then wen i finally do blink the lens is dry and it folds up and falls into my goggles. It sucks halfway through a moto wen u lose one or two of your contacts.

Anybody got any advice? i have a hard enough time telling myself to breathe, stand, sit, brake, throttle squeeze with legs, relax arms etc. Now it looks like i also need to remind myself to blink as well.
Jan C
12/1/2014 1:58pm
I agree blink more... when your concentrating hard you forget to blink.... its like breathing... sometimes you have to remind yourself to do it more
peelout
12/1/2014 2:05pm
blink more and use a shit load of Visine before and after riding.

the worst is when they get dust in them
12/1/2014 2:46pm
I'm with a few other people, close your eyelids more. I ran into the same thing the first day I decided to try my contacts, but haven't had any issues since. I'd usually allow a pair of contacts to last me a month or two, so even after they were worn out I didn't have any issues. It's like telling yourself to breathe over big jumps, you just have to remember to blink more.
motomike894
12/1/2014 4:03pm
Rupert X wrote:
www.zennioptical.com ORDER their $35.00 prescription sports goggles, ( with your prescription) - when you receive your goggles approximately, a week later, remove the insert from the...
www.zennioptical.com ORDER their $35.00 prescription sports goggles, ( with your prescription) - when you receive your goggles approximately, a week later, remove the insert from the goggles,throw these goggles away, now place the inserts in your fancy $85 goggles. Problem fixed, Had mine for about 3 years now, LOVE 'em !

Order several pairs of prescription glasses and sunglasses while you're shopping at Zenni, you'll be a lifelong customer, too...

Now quit ********** around Mike, go to Zenni with YOUR prescription. Do it now.

Cheers - Rup

Rup I've actually gotten several pairs of glasss from them and i think the script is sometimes off little but otherwise there fine I probably wouldn't notice but my eyes are so bad seems like any little change is a big change.

I have two pairs zenni glasses same everything just different frames but if I switch back and forth throws me off for little bit.

I thought about trying the goggle insert thing I'm just so blind that I always have to have goggles on or glasses on or I'm not seeing lol.

But if I can't get contacts to work I might try those zenni inserts Rupert

Post a reply to: Need help with contacts

The Latest