Neck braces. Is the hype true?

Barnett117
Fantasy
418th
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2013 11:14am
I have been wearing a Leatt for a few years now and I was wondering how effective they really are? Have neck and back related injuries decreased? What are your guys views on them??
|
1/17/2013 12:43pm
Just like any safety equipment, there are times when it doesn't matter what you are using (5th gear WFO into a brick wall) but times it can save you. Dress for the crash and hope you don't need it.
mtl
1/17/2013 1:09pm
Use the "search" feature, this has been discussed and beaten to death.
DrSweden
1/17/2013 1:50pm
This have been discussed tons of times, as in views I mean. I'm sure when the stats appear Leatt and others will be all over it. One should start seeing some data at this point? It's been a round for some year now! I think there's enough data at this point to make a study, some applications and papers, and a few visitis to some major hospitals at the west coast, enough to make a study? I hope the lack of info isn't bad for us believers...

The issue is that a gadget that works will have no victims to tell the story, while those being victims wearing one will be "evidence" for them not working. That's why data is the only source to sort this is out.

The Shop

RandyS
1/17/2013 2:31pm
We have a winner.

I hope the lack of info isn't bad for us believers...

I have no great knowledge either way beyond my belief that when you limit the human bodies ability to absorb it is not always a good thing. But as the years go by the lack of data is very telling. Just my 2 cents.
Titan1
1/17/2013 3:41pm
If you like one wear one...if they work, you probably won't even know...because you have no way of knowing whether or not a crash absolutely would have broken your neck had you not had it on...so its easy to say it works so long as you keep walking away from crashes. And if you find out it doesn't, it really won't matte anyway...because you'll be dead/in a chair, and there is nothing you can do about it.

As for me, I don't wear one...and then I just keep both wheels on the ground at all times, and I just ride slow enough that its impossible for me to hurt myself if I crash. Then I don't have to worry about it. Smile
Toste
Fantasy
925th
1/17/2013 3:56pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2013 3:57pm
It's interesting...Atlas is now marketing their product as being "flexible" and "adding (comfort & ) mobility". I thought the whole point of these things was to prevent head & neck movement?
Titan1
1/17/2013 4:14pm
Well that's part of the problem, Sipes can't prove that the brace saved him in that crash. He can speculate that it saved him...but its merely speculation...

Remember this?

https://youtu.be/rawfVrYKRa8

If RC had been wearing the brace, he would have been going on and on about how great the brace is...but he didn't have it on, and even though that crash looked terrible and looked like he should have broke his back or neck, he didn't break his neck or back.

The only way to know for sure (and this is probably why we'll never REALLY know) is to replicate the exact same crash, identically, with and without the brace and see the difference.
JoeBraxton
1/17/2013 4:17pm
I stopped wearing mine. After a friend of mine lost his son while he was wearing a neck brace I started to really think about weather or not it really does protect? I've worn one since they came out and felt like it offered a peace of mind. I'm older (39) and have a wife and kid so I guess I felt like I should use one if everyone else was? A big concern of mine is in a crash where your head slams forward (like casing a jump and your head slams forward and you go over the bars)...the brace seems like it can act like a sort of "fulcrum" and pull up on the spine and actually damage the delicate area right below the skull? This is what happened to my friends son. The first time I rode without a brace my neck was sore. I feel like I must have been relying on the brace all these years and my neck was actually weaker? I'm still not sure if I should wear one or not?
the grinch
1/17/2013 4:19pm
A Harley rider once educated me on the fact that wearing a helmet during a crash is dangerous due to the fact that the weight of the helmet will cause you to break your neck. So...

Don't wear a helmet and you won't need a neck brace.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/17/2013 5:42pm
Titan1 wrote:
Well that's part of the problem, Sipes can't prove that the brace saved him in that crash. He can speculate that it saved him...but its merely...
Well that's part of the problem, Sipes can't prove that the brace saved him in that crash. He can speculate that it saved him...but its merely speculation...

Remember this?

https://youtu.be/rawfVrYKRa8

If RC had been wearing the brace, he would have been going on and on about how great the brace is...but he didn't have it on, and even though that crash looked terrible and looked like he should have broke his back or neck, he didn't break his neck or back.

The only way to know for sure (and this is probably why we'll never REALLY know) is to replicate the exact same crash, identically, with and without the brace and see the difference.
That's scientific.
Mr. Info
1/17/2013 5:44pm
Each of us has a different body structure. What might break one persons bones might not another and the same with neck injuries. Back spinal cord injuries can also have the same outcome as the neck unless its a sever type injury. If you feel safer wearing it by all means do. And being as well protected as others have said can't hurt. But to make a statement that it can prevent serious neck injuries can't be really stated by anyone in my opinion. Thats like saying you will never have a neck injury if you stay off a motorcycle and then have a car crash and injure you neck. We make choices and take chances but if they are our own we have no one to blame but ourself. I hope none of you ever have a serious injury again but we all know the odds. Take care.
WhKnuckle
1/17/2013 6:06pm
If you believe they'll protect you, wear one. If you believe they won't and are more likely to hurt you, don't wear one. Either way, your belief is an article of faith, not science. Don't get too analytical about it.
Hando
1/17/2013 6:36pm
until there is data..they are just another gimmick. sorry..as someone who works with 'data' all day long..its pretty valuable.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
1/17/2013 6:59pm
I don't think you can just see a reduction or increase in neck injuries and attribute it to the brace because the sport itself progresses. With the advancement in equipment and technique riders are going much faster with more challenging obstacles. There will need to be a huge amount of data and then the challenge will be how to filter it. The summary of the crash itself will be skewed by the observer. The biggest piece of data that will make or break this piece of safety gear is the advent of the GoPro. You are now seeing more and more crashes and the video can be analyzed. Way to many variables at this point. I personally think the logic makes sense to wear one. Someone made a comment about another brace being flexible, That also makes sense to have some flexibility built in. I don't think you would want your head to come to an impact stop but a controlled range of motion. There in lies a new problem, how much is too much?
Too many questions still but you have to be thankful that there are people spending millions of their own money to help the sport be safer.
TM
Hando
1/17/2013 7:19pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2013 7:21pm
hmmhmm i fucking love statistics

for this to be properly tested, one would need to spend time at the 3 most crowded MX tracks in the world and CAPTURE EVERY SINGLE RACE/PRACTICE day and wait for the ones where people get paralyzed (fucked up, i know)

then, someone would need to evaluate each crash by watching video and see what type of crash happens the most frequently, then one could calculate if neck braces are worth it, depending on whether or not the thing actually does anything.

cameras would need to film every time riders were on the track all the time. its def possible but whose going to front the money for this??
EastFlorida
1/17/2013 7:39pm
I just started racing again, been out since the early 80's. My first race, hare scrambles, ended up uprooting a tree. My neck was torn to shreds.

I bought the inexpensive EVS neck brace and had a bad crash 2 weeks ago.

Looking at the injuries and damage to my helmet, shoulder pads, boots, etc, the neck brace most likely kept me from serious neck/spinal injury. The crash was so severe that I don't recall it, but I've been told I rag dolled through the air and the bike was a flipping projectile... My helmet actually broke!

It is your choice. I won't ride without one now just like I won't ride without goggles, helmet, boots and shoulder pads.

To each his own, but I'm too old to risk any more injuries that I may possibly prevent with extra safety gear on.
Choppy
1/17/2013 8:55pm
Taylor156 wrote:
Hey Choppy check this what up..................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFb24anV7Q0
Remember that doctor that accepted a paid for trip to South Africa to snorkel that I brought up...

I'm not saying that has anything to do with him backing it, and think what he does at the races is great, but I think knowing those types of things are good when you hear someone discuss a product.
Hando
1/17/2013 9:00pm
Taylor156 wrote:

Choppy wrote:
Remember that doctor that accepted a paid for trip to South Africa to snorkel that I brought up... I'm not saying that has anything to do...
Remember that doctor that accepted a paid for trip to South Africa to snorkel that I brought up...

I'm not saying that has anything to do with him backing it, and think what he does at the races is great, but I think knowing those types of things are good when you hear someone discuss a product.
its no different than big pharma taking doctors on cruises and paying for golf trips
Choppy
1/17/2013 9:07pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2013 9:14pm
Taylor156 wrote:

Choppy wrote:
Remember that doctor that accepted a paid for trip to South Africa to snorkel that I brought up... I'm not saying that has anything to do...

Hando wrote:
its no different than big pharma taking doctors on cruises and paying for golf trips
And when they suggest you take those medicines you don't think twice because of that? I sure do.

Again, not saying he supports the brace AT ALL because of that. I only feel it's something that should be known.
Hando
1/17/2013 9:24pm
Choppy wrote:

Hando wrote:
Choppy wrote:
And when they suggest you take those medicines you don't think twice because of that? I sure do. Again, not saying he supports the brace AT...
And when they suggest you take those medicines you don't think twice because of that? I sure do.

Again, not saying he supports the brace AT ALL because of that. I only feel it's something that should be known.
i dont go to the doctor or hospital unless i have too.
jemcee
1/17/2013 9:30pm
I've been over this but I 100% believe a brace would've saved me

my crash was a high speed first turn over the bars lawn dart from the inside to the outside into traffic nightmare

I think that it would've saved me because I hit the ground at that perfect angle where my momentum didn't carry my legs over my head (and scorpion to prob break my back haha) and my body didn't hit the ground knocking my head up and off the ground and cause like a skim.. all my momentum just drove the top of my head into my shoulders and shattered my C7
(so badly I don't have one anymore haha) it must've been a quick violent hit as I only had a few scratches and one clean deep gouge through a few layers of the outer shell on the front/top under the visor and similar damage on the back, not sure what did that.. I got run over a few times so maybe it was that..

I put my mates on one day with a helmet and it stopped the movement that the surgeon said caused my break..

I don't know if they work 100% of the time but I really, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY WISH i WAS WEAring one so I could know for sure!

(sorry about the yelling forgot I was on caps)
Barnett117
Fantasy
418th
1/18/2013 12:26am
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their imputs. I know there is google and stuff on here but I wanted this to be most recent so I made this topic. I'm going to keep wearing mine. I know a guy who used to race B class when he was 12 years old and at 15 became paralyzed and doctors said he probably would have been fine if he was wearing some sort of neck restrant.
Lone Wolf
1/18/2013 1:57am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2013 1:32am
WhKnuckle wrote:
If you believe they'll protect you, wear one. If you believe they won't and are more likely to hurt you, don't wear one. Either way, your...
If you believe they'll protect you, wear one. If you believe they won't and are more likely to hurt you, don't wear one. Either way, your belief is an article of faith, not science. Don't get too analytical about it.
^^ I have similar feelings to this about neck braces. No piece of protective gear can save you in every situation, but you should wear one if you feel safer doing so. I think it would be very difficult to ever conclusively prove whether they are a benefit or a detriment.

I wore a Leatt religiously for a few years after they came out. I decided to ride without it one day, and although I felt naked to start with, I enjoyed the greater range of neck mobility. A close fiend of mine crashed while not wearing a brace, and broke his C1, C2 and C3 vertebrae last year. He was very lucky and will make an almost full recovery, but it certainly gave me a fright. I have tried to wear it again since, but I now find it uncomfortable. I feel that I can't see far enough ahead when standing up because the back of my helmet rests on it. I would really like to wear it, but just don't think I can.
Hanaa80
1/18/2013 3:17am
Davalos broke his brace in Phoenix and walked away. I'm sure he was glad that he had it on.
DrSweden
1/18/2013 5:18am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2013 5:20am
RandyS wrote:
We have a winner. [b]I hope the lack of info isn't bad for us believers...[/b] I have no great knowledge either way beyond my belief that...
We have a winner.

I hope the lack of info isn't bad for us believers...

I have no great knowledge either way beyond my belief that when you limit the human bodies ability to absorb it is not always a good thing. But as the years go by the lack of data is very telling. Just my 2 cents.
I think the point with the brace is to redistribute the force from one of the most fragile constructions elsewhere. Like being hit in the stomach rather than on the nose. Maybe they are collecting data right now? I have my doubts, but for me it makes way to much sense to make my doubts to take over. PS I didn't get a snorkel trip, like a majority had to pay for mine! Smile
Klutch
1/18/2013 6:22am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2013 6:22am
if your head stops from your helmet hitting the neck protection, that energy has to go some where. It is possible that it could increase concussions since your brain would come to a sudden stop?
CR500Rider
1/18/2013 6:55am
How many who wear a neck brace buy a new helmet after every crash? Just curious.

Post a reply to: Neck braces. Is the hype true?

The Latest