Neck brace no straps

mx965
9/10/2015 11:02am Edited Date/Time 9/11/2015 10:58am
I probably be flamed for starting a neck brace war on here, but while watching the last national I counted the number of neck braces on the line I think it was like 4 or 5... My question is for the guys that wear them with no straps do you think they could actually hurt you more by bouncing around and maybe changing postions? Im specifically speaking about the atlas brace.
|
mx965
9/10/2015 11:04am

Not me, but pic for example.
Kawisrok
9/10/2015 11:06am
I have my straps removed and yes there's always potential to get hurt when not using the product as sold.
Tpog496
9/10/2015 11:07am
Kawisrok wrote:
I have my straps removed and yes there's always potential to get hurt when not using the product as sold.
There's always potential to get hurt period.
9/10/2015 11:33am Edited Date/Time 9/10/2015 11:35am
No third party testing.

And people think they're bear traps. Or they think they're the only reason they are still walking after a hard digger.

But it's all based on subjectivity. And the only testing done, is done by the manufacturers. There's no concrete evidence if they help either way. Some people feel Safe with, some safe without. No concrete evidence that they do or do not cause more harm.

The Shop

hvaughn88
9/10/2015 11:38am
aaaaaand we're off!
mx965
9/10/2015 12:14pm
Was just wondering if you guys thought maybe wearing them with no straps kind of defeats the purpose or nah? I for one can not wear an atlas with the straps things are annoying as hell.
bvm111
9/10/2015 12:24pm
in
9/10/2015 12:26pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2015 12:28pm
Well If they're intended from the manufacturer to be worn. I'm sure they were designed that way.

Could be like maybe wearing a helmet and not strapping it to your chin? Obviously neck brace won't fly off your head. But I would think it can't function as it was designed to function without wearing it properly....

That's probably not the smartest idea but then again I didn't test it "without straps" vs "with straps" to see If it does or does not cause any more harm.

Not likely they all use the same doctor, but maybe. I don't know.
Markopolo400
9/10/2015 12:26pm
Was a fad.

When Leatt came out they said you could use the straps or not.
mx965
9/10/2015 12:27pm
Sort of what i was thinking? Or maybe evryone is convinced they are not worth wearing? At soaring eagle edge of summer, pro race not a single person was wearing a neck brace.
MX45
9/10/2015 12:28pm
Common sense says use the straps.

Just as you shouldn't leave slack in your car seatbelt.
Or not buckle you helmet.
Or leave your running shoes untied.
Kawisrok
9/10/2015 12:52pm
mx965 wrote:
Was just wondering if you guys thought maybe wearing them with no straps kind of defeats the purpose or nah? I for one can not wear...
Was just wondering if you guys thought maybe wearing them with no straps kind of defeats the purpose or nah? I for one can not wear an atlas with the straps things are annoying as hell.
As far as to why I removed mine, is because mine fits perfectly snug and doesn't move around at all when on, but I see people a lot that theirs fit pretty loose and slides back and forth and side to side a lot. So, I am thinking the straps (or in my case cross straps) are there to keep it centered. Only in my situation do I feel the removal of the straps does not put me in any more jeopardy to get hurt than what is already present. I hope that made sense lol..
stackman17
9/10/2015 1:04pm
I wear an Atlas and do utilize the straps. It fits fine.
DoctorJD
9/10/2015 1:50pm
Kawisrok wrote:
As far as to why I removed mine, is because mine fits perfectly snug and doesn't move around at all when on, but I see people...
As far as to why I removed mine, is because mine fits perfectly snug and doesn't move around at all when on, but I see people a lot that theirs fit pretty loose and slides back and forth and side to side a lot. So, I am thinking the straps (or in my case cross straps) are there to keep it centered. Only in my situation do I feel the removal of the straps does not put me in any more jeopardy to get hurt than what is already present. I hope that made sense lol..
I don't use the straps on mine either. I use a under-jersey protector, and it kind of just saddles right on top of it. Plus, I use the thicker pads on mine, so it doesn't move much at all. My son, on the other hand, does use the straps. Just personal preference, I guess.
DE262
9/10/2015 6:37pm
I run an Atlas brace without the straps as well. Mine fits right and doesn't flop around or prevent me from looking at shit I shouldn't be looking at while racing.

Then there is the old "broken neck vs. broken collarbone" battle.

Last december I broke my collarbone AND my T6. And some ribs and couple teeth...
While wearing my brace.

All is good, back on the throttle stop- but I will not ride without one anymore, no matter what the cool kids are running
RCB33
Fantasy
90th
9/10/2015 6:53pm
The guy on here a few weeks ago from asterisk answered this question. If it impares your riding position, it could lead to more crashes, making the product dangerous. However,if it doesn't effect your riding position, it is a great product. This is the only reason I can think of pros not wearing them.
cwtoyota
9/10/2015 10:36pm
I have never worn a neck brace and don't plan to in the future. So obviously I am mostly ignorant on this topic.

What is the point of removing the straps? Is it to increase comfort from chafing or to increase mobility?

I assume the straps go under your arm-pits to keep the brace down onto your shoulders. Is that correct?

It seems to me that if the neck brace actually does what the manufacturers claim, allowing it to be in a misaligned position on impact has a high chance of eliminating any benefits it might have offered the rider.

DE262
9/10/2015 10:46pm
It's mainly that the straps wad up in your armpits and are a general pain in the ass. You can attach it to your chest protector for another option.

They offer different cams and pads and spacers to refine the fit.

As long as it fits right, it shouldn't move around too much without the straps.

In the case of my dirtnap, the brace basically gave the chin bar of my helmet something to bottom out on, keeping it from tucking all the way in and possibly breaking my neck. One can argure that this may have in fact broken my collarbone instead. Or as well...

shanes
9/10/2015 11:04pm
leatt i always wore the straps but alpinestar i don't need to it stays in place
cwtoyota
9/10/2015 11:07pm
DE262 wrote:
It's mainly that the straps wad up in your armpits and are a general pain in the ass. You can attach it to your chest protector...
It's mainly that the straps wad up in your armpits and are a general pain in the ass. You can attach it to your chest protector for another option.

They offer different cams and pads and spacers to refine the fit.

As long as it fits right, it shouldn't move around too much without the straps.

In the case of my dirtnap, the brace basically gave the chin bar of my helmet something to bottom out on, keeping it from tucking all the way in and possibly breaking my neck. One can argure that this may have in fact broken my collarbone instead. Or as well...

Thanks, that was my assumption.

Facts & experience > Assumption.
mx510
Fantasy
1861st
9/10/2015 11:24pm
RCB33 wrote:
The guy on here a few weeks ago from asterisk answered this question. If it impares your riding position, it could lead to more crashes, making...
The guy on here a few weeks ago from asterisk answered this question. If it impares your riding position, it could lead to more crashes, making the product dangerous. However,if it doesn't effect your riding position, it is a great product. This is the only reason I can think of pros not wearing them.
I was looking for his answer to that and couldn't find it. If someone could find it, I would really like to read his actual response.
9/11/2015 12:00am
I don't use the straps on my Leatt but it goes under my chest pro so the shoulder straps on that keep it in place. I still usually refrain from wearing one though because I've found that when I'm going down a hill or a landing and my core is arched forward which most of the time it is in motocross it stops me from being able to bring my head up and look forward. Mind you I'm using one of the old Leatts that sit a bit high and I'm pretty sure neckbraces have improved upon that lately. There's no denying a lot of kids have stopped wearing one because most of the big names don't wear one anymore or atleast that's what I've noticed here but it comes down to personal preference.
9/11/2015 2:31am
Lawn darted into rollers and broke my collarbone August 30. No brace worn, just fox chest protector and fly f2 carbon helmet.

So the break wasn't caused by a neck brace. But I didn't damage my neck (thank god) in any way.

Don't know either way if it would of been a worse or better outcome with a brace on. Wish there was testing to prove otherwise and Id consider wearing one.
Flip109
9/11/2015 4:06am
mx965 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/09/10/104567/s1200_s1200_image.jpg[/img] Not me, but pic for example.

That has always been my biggest pet peeve with neck braces. Floating around like that just seems really dangerous to me. When I did wear mine I used the straps that go under your armpits. But even then they didn't hold it down tight. I'm not really for or against them. Just haven't seen one yet that I think fits snug enough to not move off to the side in a hard crash.
hillbilly
9/11/2015 5:48am
mx965 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/09/10/104567/s1200_s1200_image.jpg[/img] Not me, but pic for example.

Flip109 wrote:
That has always been my biggest pet peeve with neck braces. Floating around like that just seems really dangerous to me. When I did wear mine...
That has always been my biggest pet peeve with neck braces. Floating around like that just seems really dangerous to me. When I did wear mine I used the straps that go under your armpits. But even then they didn't hold it down tight. I'm not really for or against them. Just haven't seen one yet that I think fits snug enough to not move off to the side in a hard crash.
That looks super dangerous.

I'd rather stick my head thru a wheelbarrow innertube and inflate it than wear one of those.

CB283
9/11/2015 6:02am
In reply to the whole collarbone thing... I broke mine 2 years ago while wearing a Leatt GPX Club 2. Got back riding after 2 surgeries and 2 plates later with a GPX Club 3, which sat directly on my plate and caused me all kinds of annoyance and pain! Swapped it in for a GPX 5.5, dialled it in with spacers and it completely misses my bulky plate (see pic :D ) and doesn't cause an issue, even without straps.

Collarbone injuries are one of the most common in our sport, neck brace or no neck brace...but Leatt has for sure changed their design to earlier models. Not sure if this is the same for other manufacturers.

As for the first question, if I wear my hard body armour I run the straps on that...if I wear soft body armour (90% of the time) the straps annoy the hell out of me!

Post a reply to: Neck brace no straps

The Latest