Neck Braces - Have They Helped?

bullpen58
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 4:39pm
Just wondering what the DATA shows. Are there more or less spinal cord injuries (SCI) since neck braces have become more prevalent. One might even argue that neck braces have become the norm, if one were so inclined.

So, that's my question. I know it's an ugly subject but as they say, numbers don't lie. Anyone know? Or is this another topic that is taboo since money is involved?
|
Ddavis
4/26/2010 9:09pm
My brother doesnt like to wear them because he thinks he you slam down then you can get whiplash worse with it on rather then letting your head bend and stuff.

Where I'd rather get a concussion then break my neck.

I wonder what the DATA shows as well, not just opinion.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1417th
4/26/2010 9:09pm
bullpen58 wrote:
Just wondering what the DATA shows. Are there more or less spinal cord injuries (SCI) since neck braces have become more prevalent. One might even argue...
Just wondering what the DATA shows. Are there more or less spinal cord injuries (SCI) since neck braces have become more prevalent. One might even argue that neck braces have become the norm, if one were so inclined.

So, that's my question. I know it's an ugly subject but as they say, numbers don't lie. Anyone know? Or is this another topic that is taboo since money is involved?
The data will not be accurate because not everyone wears one. If everyone wore one then we could track it better.
worcsracer808
4/26/2010 9:15pm
bullpen58 wrote:
Just wondering what the DATA shows. Are there more or less spinal cord injuries (SCI) since neck braces have become more prevalent. One might even argue...

tcannon521 wrote:
The data will not be accurate because not everyone wears one. If everyone wore one then we could track it better.
yeah but it would give you an indication on if they have helped as a whole if less injuries occured because they have been on the market as opposed to before when there were none, also not sure how the market size has changed at all though.
worcsracer808
4/26/2010 9:18pm
Ddavis wrote:
My brother doesnt like to wear them because he thinks he you slam down then you can get whiplash worse with it on rather then letting...
My brother doesnt like to wear them because he thinks he you slam down then you can get whiplash worse with it on rather then letting your head bend and stuff.

Where I'd rather get a concussion then break my neck.

I wonder what the DATA shows as well, not just opinion.
I also know a couple riders who stopped wearing them too, one said it hurt him more, added pressure on his neck and collarbone whenever he went down even though the crashes weren't bad the brace hurt him more than he though it would if he didn't have one.

The Shop

level
4/26/2010 9:20pm
My brace always slaps the bottom of my helmet when landing. I have the Astar brace and use the Xstrap with it. Once the Astrap becomes available that might help cure the problem.

If I don't wear the brace I still use my chest protector with the PCS neck collar. I wonder if it is just as effective. It seems to accomplish the same thing but with foam instead. There is no forward protection for it though.
bullpen58
4/26/2010 9:25pm
If there are more SCIs since the advent of neck braces, it may not necessarily mean that the braces are "causing" the injuries. It could simply be that more people are riding MX than before, of course, but I have another possible scenario. Perhaps these neck braces give riders and even more unrealistic sense of invincibility, which leads to them hucking themselves off of dangerous jumps at a more alarming rate?
worcsracer808
4/26/2010 9:29pm
bullpen58 wrote:
If there are more SCIs since the advent of neck braces, it may not necessarily mean that the braces are "causing" the injuries. It could simply...
If there are more SCIs since the advent of neck braces, it may not necessarily mean that the braces are "causing" the injuries. It could simply be that more people are riding MX than before, of course, but I have another possible scenario. Perhaps these neck braces give riders and even more unrealistic sense of invincibility, which leads to them hucking themselves off of dangerous jumps at a more alarming rate?
yeah or are there less dirtbikers because of the downturning economy? Or less racers? who knows i think the sample size is too big and there are too many variables, maybe if an unbiased group did some research with say amatuer racers that might be a reliable sample size, but I don't think right now that there is any data collected that could conclusively point one way or another. but I don't even know, just sayin
bullpen58
4/26/2010 10:00pm
This sounds like a study that NEEDS to be done. I think the AMA should fork out the cash to research this, but that's just a guess. If it's done by one of the manufacturers of neck braces, I'm pretty sure what the "data" will tell us (i.e., that neck braces save the lives of not only the rider wearing one but of countless unborn children).
worcsracer808
4/26/2010 10:13pm
bullpen58 wrote:
This sounds like a study that NEEDS to be done. I think the AMA should fork out the cash to research this, but that's just a...
This sounds like a study that NEEDS to be done. I think the AMA should fork out the cash to research this, but that's just a guess. If it's done by one of the manufacturers of neck braces, I'm pretty sure what the "data" will tell us (i.e., that neck braces save the lives of not only the rider wearing one but of countless unborn children).
yeah it should be independent of companies in the industry altogether that way there is no agenda that may distort the results, would be interesting to say the least, it is funny how james and RC never were sold on them.
supr_fly_tnt
4/26/2010 10:36pm
until someone figures out a legitimate way to actually test them, it will always be unclear if they help or hinder. the hans device in car racing is easy to test because there are already car crash tests and test dummies that can easily be strapped in. not so much for bikes. someone needs to figure out how to strap a test rider onto a bike and slam it into a wall. but like you guys said, that takes money. and as long as pro's are buying them without any test data behind the product, why bother? not to mention that there is no rule in place specifying what is and is not mandated safety gear.

b
Trent179
4/26/2010 11:00pm
I've wore one and not impressed with them... Plus if they are supposed to be so safe, why make them so expensive that some can't even afford them.
CASH476
4/27/2010 1:15am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:25pm
bullpen58 wrote:
This sounds like a study that NEEDS to be done. I think the AMA should fork out the cash to research this, but that's just a...
yeah it should be independent of companies in the industry altogether that way there is no agenda that may distort the results, would be interesting to...
yeah it should be independent of companies in the industry altogether that way there is no agenda that may distort the results, would be interesting to say the least, it is funny how james and RC never were sold on them.
It's funny how Reed, RV & Dungey are sold on them, what's your point?
Old Mate
4/27/2010 2:03am
i think there brilliant but one of my boys broke his back first ride with one last year and the other boy 6 months later, they have been racing 14 years, so i still wonder but i want them to wear one.
anzzz73
4/27/2010 2:33am
i don´t know if are safer or if it injures more than without them but i have a crash that y land with the head an a soulder and the man who was right behind me told me that the brace safe my life without it i would break my neck so it may be depends on the situation, i think its like ortopedic knee braces... one frien of mine hurt his knee and the doctor told him tha if he wasn't wearing the knee brace he wouldn't be hurt, it was for the rigiditi of the braces... but most of the cases it helps so....
Sonny
4/27/2010 3:32am
There was a doctor on here that pretty much endorsed those things, if I remember correctly.
WideOpen
4/27/2010 4:31am
The deal with the neck brace is you wear one no matter what. If something ever happens to me the last thing I would want to live with is the what if factor.
WideOpen
4/27/2010 4:35am
Trent179 wrote:
I've wore one and not impressed with them... Plus if they are supposed to be so safe, why make them so expensive that some can't even...
I've wore one and not impressed with them... Plus if they are supposed to be so safe, why make them so expensive that some can't even afford them.
Neck braces are cheap. You can get one for 200-350. A set of gear is 200.00, boots are 300 and a bike is 5000-7000. Whats your point????
toddh
4/27/2010 5:01am
Would hate to be in a chair and sit around and think "what if".
Highsider
4/27/2010 5:26am
level wrote:
My brace always slaps the bottom of my helmet when landing. I have the Astar brace and use the Xstrap with it. Once the Astrap becomes...
My brace always slaps the bottom of my helmet when landing. I have the Astar brace and use the Xstrap with it. Once the Astrap becomes available that might help cure the problem.

If I don't wear the brace I still use my chest protector with the PCS neck collar. I wonder if it is just as effective. It seems to accomplish the same thing but with foam instead. There is no forward protection for it though.
There is no forward protection for it though.

As I understand it, the forward, "hang mans" injury is the worst.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
719th
4/27/2010 5:58am
No one has broken their neck in one yet, so i'll continue to wear mine
bullpen58
4/27/2010 8:53am
WideOpen wrote:
The deal with the neck brace is you wear one no matter what. If something ever happens to me the last thing I would want to...
The deal with the neck brace is you wear one no matter what. If something ever happens to me the last thing I would want to live with is the what if factor.
Even if they make SCI more likely? I'm not saying they do. I'm just asking IF they actually help reduce SCIs or not.

Everyone is busy making decisions based on emotion rather than data. I wanna see the numbers.
bullpen58
4/27/2010 8:54am
No one has broken their neck in one yet, so i'll continue to wear mine
How do you know that? I highly doubt that you're right but can't give any examples to prove you wrong.

That's like saying that "nobody that was wearing a helmet has never gotten a concussion". Impossible. Neck braces don't even purport to prevent ALL injuries. They just claim that they reduce the likelihood of SCIs.
ns503
4/27/2010 8:58am
What data?
bullpen58
4/27/2010 9:00am
The data that needs to be collected and analyzed doofus! Did you read any of this? haha

Sorry, I call everyone doofus. No offense. Wink
ns503
4/27/2010 9:04am
So there's no data then?

This is a great thread.

Right back at ya. Wink
bullpen58
4/27/2010 9:15am
You've contributed greatly to this thread. Thanks for your input.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
4/27/2010 9:22am
bullpen58 wrote:

someone is keeping Data?
ns503
4/27/2010 12:25pm
bullpen58 wrote:

Regis wrote:
someone is keeping Data?
Hey, get yer own point...

Post a reply to: Neck Braces - Have They Helped?

The Latest