Neck Braces

Matthew243
Edited Date/Time 4/4/2014 3:57pm
I have worn a neck brace for years. Just wondering your thoughts on them. good or bad? if you have any links with intelligent info, i would like to see them.
|
Juss
4/4/2014 7:59am
Listen to the pulp podcast with Ryan Hughes. He says there shit, you can't tuck your head etc in a crash. Go to the thread below about the podcast they talk about it
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
4/4/2014 8:20am
Yes, that is true that you can't truck your head all the way in a crash. But the brace also limits movements in events of other types of crashes. When I was younger(1999) I watched a kid my age crash right in front of me,he fell in a position where a neck brace would have saved his paralysis(there were no neck braces around at that time).

There are always negatives to safety equipment like this(knee brace, wrist brace, even helmets could snap your collar bone in certain crashes.) but we have to accept those risks because the majority of the time they will out weigh the negatives.
4/4/2014 11:02am
I bought an original leatt brace in 2007-08. Somewhere around that time. I have worn it up until this year when I decided to take it off. I feel better without it. I grew up riding without one and feel that the risks of wearing one are higher than not wearing one. Its all personal preference honestly. I wouldn't try to convince anyone either way. I only give my opinion on them when I see someone asking. I think its better to spend money on a chest protector and a good helmet/boots rather than waste money on something like a neck brace.
4/4/2014 11:17am
Neck braces are prone to conspiracy theories because they seem so plausible even though facts may not back them up. It's hard to find independent statistics on neck braces or safety equipment in general, especially in mx. I think these two articles are must reads:
http://www.dirtrider.com/features/the-neck-brace-should-you-wear-one/
http://www.dirtrider.com/features/the-neck-brace-web-component/

This is the best unbiased information I have been able to find and it changed me from a skeptic into a neck brace wearer. I think the potential benefits of a neck brace make it worth wearing. They don't prevent you from tucking your head, they just limit it a bit to prevent over-extending.

The Shop

JM485
4/4/2014 12:37pm
There have been a few of these threads, and I can give you a general overview of how this is going to go down. First, a few posters will calmly answer you question and give their honest opinion. However, soon someone will come on here and puts up a scathing post about how there is not proof neck braces will do any good and will definitely hurt you in a crash while providing zero protection. After that happens, us neck brace users will try to explain to them that there is no way to provide undeniable proof that they work, but provide links like Spongebob has to various tests that show a strong likelihood of them helping in the event of a crash. This will really set the anti-brace crowd off, and they will begin posting irrelevant arguments and even get a little hostile about the topic. That is my prediction.

As for me, I completely believe in them and won't get on a bike without one. They can be a little odd at first, but now I don't even know it's there. I would much rather have a bad crash with one on, than not wear one and wonder if an injury could have been prevented.
4/4/2014 1:01pm
I don't know the answer or the truth,

Strange as I thought it was last weekend over here at the Aussie champs, only 1 rider in the MX1 and only a handful in MX2 wore braces.
Juss
4/4/2014 1:10pm
So there going to do what you just did then right? lol
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/4/2014 1:14pm
JM485 wrote:
There have been a few of these threads, and I can give you a general overview of how this is going to go down. First, a...
There have been a few of these threads, and I can give you a general overview of how this is going to go down. First, a few posters will calmly answer you question and give their honest opinion. However, soon someone will come on here and puts up a scathing post about how there is not proof neck braces will do any good and will definitely hurt you in a crash while providing zero protection. After that happens, us neck brace users will try to explain to them that there is no way to provide undeniable proof that they work, but provide links like Spongebob has to various tests that show a strong likelihood of them helping in the event of a crash. This will really set the anti-brace crowd off, and they will begin posting irrelevant arguments and even get a little hostile about the topic. That is my prediction.

As for me, I completely believe in them and won't get on a bike without one. They can be a little odd at first, but now I don't even know it's there. I would much rather have a bad crash with one on, than not wear one and wonder if an injury could have been prevented.
History doesn't have to repeat itself.
Juss
4/4/2014 1:14pm
JM485 wrote:
There have been a few of these threads, and I can give you a general overview of how this is going to go down. First, a...

So there going to do what u just did? lol
Titan1
4/4/2014 1:19pm
Has this thread happened before, or am I having deja vu?
JonnyDH84
4/4/2014 1:28pm
Theres loads of these threads on the net not just mx sites the mtb sites are full of people arguing about them . Its personal preference at the end of the day I wear a leatt for downhill mountain biking.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
4/4/2014 1:33pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2014 1:33pm
Matthew243 wrote:
I have worn a neck brace for years. Just wondering your thoughts on them. good or bad? if you have any links with intelligent info, i...
I have worn a neck brace for years. Just wondering your thoughts on them. good or bad? if you have any links with intelligent info, i would like to see them.
If you have worn one for years then your mind must be made up so keep using it. I think you just signed up on Vital today just to be a troll and start a shit storm. Maybe you can start a seat bounce thread next.
cd0583
4/4/2014 3:57pm
wear a neck brace AND a spine protector and you'll be good. People complain of the spine protectors being "bulky" ,,,,not at all...if you wear one or the other it throws off everything...it's basic leverage points.

Post a reply to: Neck Braces

The Latest