Navicular foot bone

JWACK
Edited Date/Time 5/14/2016 9:23am
Any of you broken this bone? How was recovery? I just had surgery to place a screw in .

|
motomike894
5/11/2016 7:11pm
I shattered mine long time ago had to have it pinned and screws was in a cast and didn't use it for 5 months surgeon still to this day says worse broken foot he's ever fixed lol so probably little more severe.

But I get around ok but my arthritis is pretty severe some days it's ok some days I can barely walk tried having chiropractor do some work on it about six months ago cause it's been worse and it helped he got little more motion back in it.

But only real solution I've been given is a fusion which scares me lol.

But sorry for the rant but that's my Story lol.
JWACK
5/11/2016 7:29pm
Thank you for the input,! 5 months is rough indeed. Hope I'm healed up a bit quicker as my wife may kill me if she has to spend 5 months babysitting me lol. . I was told that most likely in the future it's going to be a thorn in my side and fusion is a possibility ..
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
5/11/2016 7:35pm Edited Date/Time 5/11/2016 8:05pm
No beuno. Similar to navicular(scaphoid,) in the hand (currently Cooper Webb). Usually no weight bearng for about two months, then re-assess (but even if you are OK'd for weight bearing, you will stay in a cast). Gonna really become a big hassle for quite some time. Main thing, again, blood flow. Some use bone stinulators but they have mixed results. Heck Ive seem where plasma has been given to try and heal better. Almost like blood doping, in a way. Like in the hand, fairly small bone but responsible for stability. Surgery to pin has mixed results too. Kind of depends on the fracture (of which yours was bad enough). Fusion can be a possibility, however, if the bone gets necrotic then you have dead bone fused to healthy. That can be a whole new problem. Honestly, both navicular's are thought to be one of the worst bones to break as far as healing etc goes. Also, pretty high chance it will also develop arthritis. Im not sure your age, but seems teenagers heal better than in mature adults. I think you can see where this is going.

Fyi, its not uncommon for xrays to be negative and an MRI has to be done for positive diagnosis and to assess healing, if any.

I realize this is probably not you wanted to hear. I hope this helped.
captmoto
5/11/2016 7:38pm Edited Date/Time 5/11/2016 7:40pm
I did mine in 08. I have 2 screws in the side of my foot fusing it to the talus. It took almost a year because of a lot of swelling. I am fully functional but have a little less flex and rotation in my foot but I don't notice it too much until I try to put on a pull on boot. I don't have arthritis problems with it. I was pinned and casted and non weight bearing for 3 months. A little over 2 months of rehab and back to work. But like I said, I had swelling for about 6 months where I was wearing larger shoes just to get by. My feet are still slightly different sizes but I can get by.We may not have the same break but that's my story.
Don't push it. Follow your doc's orders and do whatever rehab you need to do.

The Shop

kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
5/11/2016 8:10pm Edited Date/Time 5/11/2016 8:12pm
captmoto wrote:
I did mine in 08. I have 2 screws in the side of my foot fusing it to the talus. It took almost a year because...
I did mine in 08. I have 2 screws in the side of my foot fusing it to the talus. It took almost a year because of a lot of swelling. I am fully functional but have a little less flex and rotation in my foot but I don't notice it too much until I try to put on a pull on boot. I don't have arthritis problems with it. I was pinned and casted and non weight bearing for 3 months. A little over 2 months of rehab and back to work. But like I said, I had swelling for about 6 months where I was wearing larger shoes just to get by. My feet are still slightly different sizes but I can get by.We may not have the same break but that's my story.
Don't push it. Follow your doc's orders and do whatever rehab you need to do.
Captmoto's story seems to be a very common scenario. Probably the most important thing he said was not to push/rush it. You can come back a little early on other breaks but this is definitely not one of them. You really only get one chance to let it heal properly (if its going to heal at all) so use that time wisely.
donMX14
5/12/2016 4:45am
I shattered mine long time ago had to have it pinned and screws was in a cast and didn't use it for 5 months surgeon still...
I shattered mine long time ago had to have it pinned and screws was in a cast and didn't use it for 5 months surgeon still to this day says worse broken foot he's ever fixed lol so probably little more severe.

But I get around ok but my arthritis is pretty severe some days it's ok some days I can barely walk tried having chiropractor do some work on it about six months ago cause it's been worse and it helped he got little more motion back in it.

Pretty much same deal here. I shattered mine in 09. Doc said I dusted it I guess cause it was so many small pieces. Nothing to screw into. In cast for few months. No more running!. Surprisingly feels good riding. Once the mx boot is on no issues. Arthritis is bad and gets worse. I had to change jobs so I wasn't on it so much. If I spend to much time on it in one day I use crutches the next. Doc went in this winter to clean it up to try to relieve some of the arthritis but that didn't work so well. Fusion is the only real solution.
motomike894
5/12/2016 5:16am
I shattered mine long time ago had to have it pinned and screws was in a cast and didn't use it for 5 months surgeon still...

donMX14 wrote:
Pretty much same deal here. I shattered mine in 09. Doc said I dusted it I guess cause it was so many small pieces. Nothing to...
Pretty much same deal here. I shattered mine in 09. Doc said I dusted it I guess cause it was so many small pieces. Nothing to screw into. In cast for few months. No more running!. Surprisingly feels good riding. Once the mx boot is on no issues. Arthritis is bad and gets worse. I had to change jobs so I wasn't on it so much. If I spend to much time on it in one day I use crutches the next. Doc went in this winter to clean it up to try to relieve some of the arthritis but that didn't work so well. Fusion is the only real solution.
Your situation sounds about identical to mine it was broken in all little pieces everywhere actually called it a dislocation of my foot too because right down middle it was broken completely in half I remember when saw it before it got wrapped before surgery it was creepy big lump all way across it and lumps in front it.

Worst pain I had I think was it swelled so bad they had to put that wrap on it before they could do surgery to reduce swelling and holy shit for two days I was basically crying that was horrific pain worse then surgery worse then breaking my femur.

But yeah I see myself getting fusion surgery in next 3-10 years if it gets any worse which I'm sure it will.
JWACK
5/12/2016 8:08am
I had to do the wrap before surgery as well.... And that really really sucked. Talk about a little pain. That was worse than any other bone I have broken. Maybe Im a bit better off just due to it only being in two parts but maybe not. I know I busted my ass last night on my crutches and fell right on it. Hope I didn't damage it worse because It hurt like a mother.
abn166
5/12/2016 12:16pm

I crushed my Cuboid, talus, and Navicular in 1991 racing Speedway. I had surgery to put everything back where it belonged and spent 6 months in a cast. I raced my first Speedway race 5 days after having the cast removed. I raced a bunch of Motocross races and have run more than 20 marathons since then. I still run 3 or 4 days a week. I have some stiffness and soreness but it's not that bad.
toomey706
5/12/2016 5:42pm
JWACK wrote:
Thank you for the input,! 5 months is rough indeed. Hope I'm healed up a bit quicker as my wife may kill me if she has...
Thank you for the input,! 5 months is rough indeed. Hope I'm healed up a bit quicker as my wife may kill me if she has to spend 5 months babysitting me lol. . I was told that most likely in the future it's going to be a thorn in my side and fusion is a possibility ..
I broke mine pretty bad too, broke the navicular and shattered the heel. 10 screws a plate and nerve damage. Make sure you stretch your toes. The ligaments in my toes shortened for being off it so long. I have to get surgery if I want to get rid of the hammer toes.
JWACK
5/12/2016 9:48pm
My doctor just provided me with a removable cast. He said he is putting full trust in me to not place weight on it but by being able to move my foot it should reduce rehab time. I'm amazed and frightened by this because I only had a hard cast for 2 weeks and really want it to heal correctly.
RMRider1
5/14/2016 7:54am Edited Date/Time 5/14/2016 7:54am
How did you break it? Seems like a hard bone to break with good boots?
JWACK
5/14/2016 8:20am Edited Date/Time 5/14/2016 9:59am
Well I was on the first ride taking it easy on my new 16 350sxf.. Along with a brand new never ridden in pair of tech 8 boots. The crash was really something that hadn't happened to me before. . A buddy and I came into a flat corner. Not ripping but 3rd gear so moving a little. . I was on the inside with my rear end sliding a bit and the buddy on the outside of me made a small mistake and we locked rear wheels. We ride rough sometimes so he felt a bump and gassed it hard thinking I was about to take his line. But this time it wasn't the case. Somehow when he gassed it, it launched the rear end of my bike strait up and 180 to where I was backwards and crashing in 3rd gear. Going backwards it all happens so fast I'm not sure if it was the ground or the bike that broke it. There are no marks on the new boot so it's hard to say.
Alex
5/14/2016 9:23am Edited Date/Time 5/14/2016 9:24am
I had an evulsion injury of mine where the ligament pulled off the Cuneiform taking a small chunk of the Cuneiform. 10 years on and I can't run without pain as the arch of my foot spreads on impact. Pretty painful right now as it happens, thanks for reminding me.

Ahh MX - gotta love it............... no really, you've GOT to love it.

Post a reply to: Navicular foot bone

The Latest