National in Hawaii in the future?

SethGator
10/28/2011 11:42am
close to Atlanta, a huge moto scene and a damn close drive...Cairo, GA.

Southwick, MA Pop: 9,502

Cairo, GA Pop: 9,607

Jus sayin...
Sondy132001
10/28/2011 11:47am
SethGator wrote:
close to Atlanta, a huge moto scene and a damn close drive...Cairo, GA.

Southwick, MA Pop: 9,502

Cairo, GA Pop: 9,607

Jus sayin...
9 thousand 6 hundred and 7 ??

S
SethGator
10/28/2011 11:54am

S
census 2010 numbers: 34 miles north of Tallahassee...or did I post something wrong S?

S
Sondy132001
10/28/2011 12:00pm

S
SethGator wrote:
census 2010 numbers: 34 miles north of Tallahassee...or did I post something wrong S?

S
no I meant 9 thousand or 900 thousand people, 9 thousand aren't very many people, you need a whole bunch to fill up a national or sx. Thought maybe you were abbreviating the amount.

S

The Shop

DC
10/28/2011 12:03pm
But Cairo is not far from Tallahassee, a big college town and the Florida state capitol....

DC
MX Sports
Sondy132001
10/28/2011 12:06pm
DC wrote:
But Cairo is not far from Tallahassee, a big college town and the Florida state capitol....

DC
MX Sports
gotcha, I like the population numbers of like about 60-100 mile radius. Sounds good.

S
SethGator
10/28/2011 12:14pm
gotcha, I like the population numbers of like about 60-100 mile radius. Sounds good.

S
fo sho, what I was getting at is that the Wick host a national and has a smaller pop. than Cairo. and with the huge moto scene in Cairo and Bainbridge and the close proximity to Tallahassee, I figured it could be plausible. me and my friends would be there in a second as would many others I believe, or at least I hope.
vet323
10/28/2011 12:33pm
Electro21 wrote:
That would have been cool! I wish they would hold a race at Aloha Stadium. That would work, except for the cost of shipping everything. A...
That would have been cool! I wish they would hold a race at Aloha Stadium. That would work, except for the cost of shipping everything. A race at Aloha Stadium would probably draw a decent crowd.
scott_nz wrote:
pretty sure it was in the Aloha Stadium, it was very cool for me at the time, i was about 13
docweedon wrote:
It was Aloha Stadium, and I actually got to race there at the annual SX back in 1990 or 91. The year I raced I was...
It was Aloha Stadium, and I actually got to race there at the annual SX back in 1990 or 91. The year I raced I was in the 80 nov. class racing at Kahuku. Beside the pros, they had amateur classes racing that night. It was a huge deal for us locals to race at Aloha Stadium. Riders from not only Oahu, but Maui, Kauai and the big island came over to race. We had heat races, semis and LCQ. I made it through the heat into the main. One of the best experiences I have had. I finished I think 7th. The next day at school(I was in middle school), I was an instant celebrity! Ehe...
But back to the original topic...there would be no way a national could be held at Kahuku. The road is straight up a hill and I remember some mornings where it was just an event to make it up the hill! Almost slid off the side and down the cliff to the left! Water and that slick hawaiian clay made it like ice! No parking at all for anyone but the riders though.
It was so cool when it was SX time at Aloha stadium though, cuz all the pros would come up to Kahuku the week before and practice. Everyone would stop and watch RJ, Ward, Manley, Cooper railing around our track!

And yes, there was a car track, Hawaii Motorsports Park. They used to do Skip Barber and shifter cart rentals there.
Doc, I raced there, too in 91 and in 90 when RJ came. It was great fun and all the locals had to qualify at a couple of races that were held at a temporary SX track at Kahuku.

I remember pitting next to Brian Manley the year RJ came and helping him with jetting. Really nice dude.

The year Ward and Chicken came, my buddy nearly got in a fight with Chicken in the parking lot after the race (Matasiavich was acting douchey).

I think that Aloha Stadium SX usually attracted about 15-20k spectators (not quite half-full). A year or so after I left, I heard that one of the local racers got killed at the race (I may have got that wrong, but it's how I remember). The race seemed to work when they could book it near the Tokyo SX, so some mainland pros could work out the logistics. I guess maybe Tokyo isn't such a big deal anymore, either?
vet323
10/28/2011 12:36pm
mxpunk wrote:
holding a race in hawaii makes as much sense as holding a race in wyoming or south dakota it would cost an astronomical amount of money...
holding a race in hawaii makes as much sense as holding a race in wyoming or south dakota

it would cost an astronomical amount of money as well.
Holding a race in South Dakota during the Sturgis Rally could actually make alot of sense. Especially since it's half way between Millville and Washougal on I-90 and everyone is driving past anyway.

I agree about Wyoming, though-screw those guys!Wink
RedRacer
10/28/2011 12:55pm
Theres already a national in hawaii, I raced it on mtx mototrax
docweedon
10/28/2011 1:11pm
vet323 wrote:
Doc, I raced there, too in 91 and in 90 when RJ came. It was great fun and all the locals had to qualify at a...
Doc, I raced there, too in 91 and in 90 when RJ came. It was great fun and all the locals had to qualify at a couple of races that were held at a temporary SX track at Kahuku.

I remember pitting next to Brian Manley the year RJ came and helping him with jetting. Really nice dude.

The year Ward and Chicken came, my buddy nearly got in a fight with Chicken in the parking lot after the race (Matasiavich was acting douchey).

I think that Aloha Stadium SX usually attracted about 15-20k spectators (not quite half-full). A year or so after I left, I heard that one of the local racers got killed at the race (I may have got that wrong, but it's how I remember). The race seemed to work when they could book it near the Tokyo SX, so some mainland pros could work out the logistics. I guess maybe Tokyo isn't such a big deal anymore, either?
@Vet323...yea the SX there in Hawaii was ended because of a guy that was killed at the race. My memory is shoddy, but I seem to recall it was one of John DeSoto's sons that died. Since DeSoto was huge in the riding community and a city counsel man at the time, he took the death hard and ended the Hawaii SXs.
Sondy132001
10/28/2011 1:15pm
docweedon wrote:
@Vet323...yea the SX there in Hawaii was ended because of a guy that was killed at the race. My memory is shoddy, but I seem to...
@Vet323...yea the SX there in Hawaii was ended because of a guy that was killed at the race. My memory is shoddy, but I seem to recall it was one of John DeSoto's sons that died. Since DeSoto was huge in the riding community and a city counsel man at the time, he took the death hard and ended the Hawaii SXs.
John DeSoto had one son and yes he passed away but not from racing. The SX went away cause the promoter who took it over after us ran it into the ground.

S
Gym Briggs
10/28/2011 2:25pm
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports
Whats the chances of Syracuse getting a SX in 2013?

Post a reply to: National in Hawaii in the future?

The Latest