10/27/2011 6:01pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 1:01pm
It would make for good TV....
|
scooter5002
10/27/2011 6:04pm
You smokin' some of their weed?
The Universe
10/27/2011 6:06pm
I agree it would be cool... But it would cost too much money getting all the bikes and film crews over there to have the 1,000 people or so that would show up to spectate.
jasonv43
10/27/2011 6:10pm
Only if it's on the Big Island and they have to jump lava pits.
10/27/2011 6:14pm
Now I have the Hawaii 5-0 theme stuck in my head until further notice...lol

The Shop

Gym Briggs
10/27/2011 6:25pm
Never! Only option ever would be a GP.
NeWskoolmxer
10/27/2011 6:28pm
Why don't they just build a huge bridge to Hawaii.
10/27/2011 6:51pm
i live in hawaii it would be a huge waste of money not enough people in hawaii involvled in Motosports maybe 12000 people would show ups tops
Electro21
Fantasy
66th
10/27/2011 6:55pm
No way it work on Oahu. It would be a huge money pit.
Electro21
Fantasy
66th
10/27/2011 6:56pm
MtnBoy wrote:
Why would it make good tv?
MotoChief
10/27/2011 7:14pm
MtnBoy wrote:
Electro21 wrote:
Why would it make good tv?
Mainlanders love anything Hawaii.

When I live there (96-99), the Moto scene was small but very dedicated. But, i am willing to bet that a large portion of the surf community wold show up too. It would be pretty awesome to see a national there IMO.
MtnBoy
10/27/2011 7:42pm
In my opinion it's something that the Nationals desperately need, it would draw a lot of attention from new places I think.

Sure we all love Red Bud, Millville, Unadilla etc. for what they are and the history that they have, but to most of the viewing audience that doesn't matter, they just want to see exciting dirtbike racing.

Or maybe a one off, big money race at the end of the year?
10/27/2011 7:45pm
Have Erin drop a pineapple in front of the gate. Problem solved.
10/27/2011 7:57pm
MtnBoy wrote:
In my opinion it's something that the Nationals desperately need, it would draw a lot of attention from new places I think. Sure we all love...
In my opinion it's something that the Nationals desperately need, it would draw a lot of attention from new places I think.

Sure we all love Red Bud, Millville, Unadilla etc. for what they are and the history that they have, but to most of the viewing audience that doesn't matter, they just want to see exciting dirtbike racing.

The "Pro Bowl" of Supercross!!
Electro21
Fantasy
66th
10/27/2011 9:31pm Edited Date/Time 10/27/2011 10:01pm
MtnBoy wrote:
In my opinion it's something that the Nationals desperately need, it would draw a lot of attention from new places I think. Sure we all love...

Wouldn't work on Oahu. The one track is on a military range, and the track is only open on weekends and holidays. The military might budge if a national was scheduled. However, parking would be a huge issue, no room. The road leading to the track goes up a mountain no semi trailers could make it. (Doubt they would ship them anyway). Traffic on the north shore is bad enough anyway on the weekend.

It sounds cool, but no way it would work on Oahu. It is a great place to ride and hold local races, but a national would not work here. Oahu is where the Kahuku track is.
10/27/2011 9:59pm
Will never happen...and where is Ping to offer some first-hand advice about races in Hawaii?
TDeath21
10/27/2011 10:09pm
All I can say to a race in Hawaii is... That poor privateer that's trying to earn a factory ride... Sad
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
10/28/2011 2:33am
in 1991 i went to the Aloha Supercross in Hawaii, they had Jeff Ward and Chicken there on their factory Kawasaki's, it was part of the pan pacific supercross series that went to Japan, New Zealand, Japan and i think the Phillipenes or Thailand that year,
Electro21
Fantasy
66th
10/28/2011 2:56am
scott_nz wrote:
in 1991 i went to the Aloha Supercross in Hawaii, they had Jeff Ward and Chicken there on their factory Kawasaki's, it was part of the...
in 1991 i went to the Aloha Supercross in Hawaii, they had Jeff Ward and Chicken there on their factory Kawasaki's, it was part of the pan pacific supercross series that went to Japan, New Zealand, Japan and i think the Phillipenes or Thailand that year,
That would have been cool! I wish they would hold a race at Aloha Stadium. That would work, except for the cost of shipping everything. A race at Aloha Stadium would probably draw a decent crowd.
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
10/28/2011 3:04am
scott_nz wrote:
in 1991 i went to the Aloha Supercross in Hawaii, they had Jeff Ward and Chicken there on their factory Kawasaki's, it was part of the...
Electro21 wrote:
That would have been cool! I wish they would hold a race at Aloha Stadium. That would work, except for the cost of shipping everything. A...
That would have been cool! I wish they would hold a race at Aloha Stadium. That would work, except for the cost of shipping everything. A race at Aloha Stadium would probably draw a decent crowd.
pretty sure it was in the Aloha Stadium, it was very cool for me at the time, i was about 13
Electro21
Fantasy
66th
10/28/2011 3:07am Edited Date/Time 10/28/2011 3:09am
scott_nz wrote:
Electro21 wrote:
That would have been cool! I wish they would hold a race at Aloha Stadium. That would work, except for the cost of shipping everything. A...
scott_nz wrote:
pretty sure it was in the Aloha Stadium, it was very cool for me at the time, i was about 13
It had to be Aloha Stadium. It is where the University of Hawaii plays, and where they have the Pro-Bowl. Its the the main stadium here. I remember hearing about them having races there.
10/28/2011 3:45am
Bad idea.

Everyone will be called "haolie" repeatedly, 3 factory bikes will be stolen, the 30second board girl will be abducted at northshore after dark, no one will show up, but there will be spam & eggs for the dozen who do.

I really wish we would strike Hawaii from the union, sew up a flag with 49 stars, and call it a day. WWII is over, we no longer need to fuel up airplanes and ships to shit on Japan with. F that place.

You can call me an asshole, but you can't call me wrong.
10/28/2011 6:10am
scott_nz wrote:
Electro21 wrote:
Wasn't there an article by Pingree in RacerX a while back about an attempt to hold a race there?
MtnBoy
10/28/2011 7:58am
Is there a car racing track in Hawaii?
docweedon
10/28/2011 8:14am Edited Date/Time 10/28/2011 8:21am
scott_nz wrote:
Electro21 wrote:
scott_nz wrote:
It was Aloha Stadium, and I actually got to race there at the annual SX back in 1990 or 91. The year I raced I was in the 80 nov. class racing at Kahuku. Beside the pros, they had amateur classes racing that night. It was a huge deal for us locals to race at Aloha Stadium. Riders from not only Oahu, but Maui, Kauai and the big island came over to race. We had heat races, semis and LCQ. I made it through the heat into the main. One of the best experiences I have had. I finished I think 7th. The next day at school(I was in middle school), I was an instant celebrity! Ehe...
But back to the original topic...there would be no way a national could be held at Kahuku. The road is straight up a hill and I remember some mornings where it was just an event to make it up the hill! Almost slid off the side and down the cliff to the left! Water and that slick hawaiian clay made it like ice! No parking at all for anyone but the riders though.
It was so cool when it was SX time at Aloha stadium though, cuz all the pros would come up to Kahuku the week before and practice. Everyone would stop and watch RJ, Ward, Manley, Cooper railing around our track!

And yes, there was a car track, Hawaii Motorsports Park. They used to do Skip Barber and shifter cart rentals there.
Electro21
Fantasy
66th
10/28/2011 11:08am
MtnBoy wrote:
Is there a car racing track in Hawaii?
There used to be one in Kapolei near Barbers Point, but it has been closed for several years. I am not sure if there is one on the Big Island.
Sondy132001
10/28/2011 11:12am
MtnBoy wrote:

too expensive, not enough spectators to make it worth while.

S
DC
10/28/2011 11:20am
Sister Fister, that was laugh-out-loud funny...

I really don't see a national in Hawaii's future, unless Hawaii moves somewhere near Atlanta by next summer or '13.

DC
MX Sports
SethGator
10/28/2011 11:39am
DC wrote:
Sister Fister, that was laugh-out-loud funny... I really don't see a national in Hawaii's future, unless Hawaii moves somewhere near Atlanta by next summer or '13...
Sister Fister, that was laugh-out-loud funny...

I really don't see a national in Hawaii's future, unless Hawaii moves somewhere near Atlanta by next summer or '13.

DC
MX Sports
so your saying were getting a southern national as early as summer 2012?
mxpunk
10/28/2011 11:42am
holding a race in hawaii makes as much sense as holding a race in wyoming or south dakota

it would cost an astronomical amount of money as well.

Post a reply to: National in Hawaii in the future?

The Latest