Namur will never host a GP again...

MXMattii
Edited Date/Time 8/8/2013 4:34pm
I heard from a very good source that the F.I.M said NO! They're shitting on the history of their own sport.

|
newmann
8/6/2013 9:51am
They've been shitting on the history of the sport over here for the last decade. The AMA effectively killed off the 125 class after three decades of the best racing ever and no one seems to give a shit. Namur, baaaahhhhh what could be great about that place???

motoBRD
8/6/2013 9:52am
Is that Shaun White in the top picture all the way to the left? Pretty sure that's him, and he seems sad.

Sad to hear about Namur. I had quite a fun day at work once, looking at Google maps trying to find any remnants I could of the old track. It was almost like I was there, if I tried hard enough not to notice all the pixels in the street view.
kongols
8/6/2013 9:55am
Excellent, I hope they make another desert race with 540 spectators somewhere in a middle east.
onthepipe
8/6/2013 10:31am
kongols wrote:
Excellent, I hope they make another desert race with 540 spectators somewhere in a middle east.

The Shop

ga_pike
8/6/2013 10:53am

Is this really the layout of that track? How sick is that!?!?!?
MXMattii
8/6/2013 11:39am
dernière info : L'organisateur Mr Edmond Detry qui est l'organisateur de Grand prix de Bastogne dit que après s'être renseigné au près des différentes instances officielles il en arrive au constat unique : la sécurité des pilotes passent en premier et avec la situation du site de la citadelle, en état actuel, il faudrait une somme collossale pour mettre le circuit au norme FIM . Et donc il n'est plus possible d'organiser le grand prix à Namur.

Google Translate:

Last info: The organizer Mr Edmond Detry who is the organizer of Grand Prix Bastogne said that after learning about the different official bodies he comes to one conclusion: driver safety comes first and the situation the site of the citadel, in the current state, it would amount to a collossale to the circuit FIM standard. And therefore it is not possible to organize the grand prize in Namur.
8/6/2013 11:59am
ga_pike wrote:
[img]http://www.mxscot.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/namur_motocross_track.jpg[/img] Is this really the layout of that track? How sick is that!?!?!?

Is this really the layout of that track? How sick is that!?!?!?
When I think MX I think about shit like this. Not what is being built in the infield of a road course. I also have a soft spot for the Nordschliefe and dozens of other old manly circuits.

That beer stop while leading takes the cake. I remember reading a story that he had his brother in the back taking his lap times during practice so that he would never put in a "flying" lap according to timing at the finish line... no one knew what kind of lap times he was really running that weekend.
Robgvx
8/6/2013 12:18pm
When I think MX I think about shit like this. Not what is being built in the infield of a road course. I also have a...
When I think MX I think about shit like this. Not what is being built in the infield of a road course. I also have a soft spot for the Nordschliefe and dozens of other old manly circuits.

That beer stop while leading takes the cake. I remember reading a story that he had his brother in the back taking his lap times during practice so that he would never put in a "flying" lap according to timing at the finish line... no one knew what kind of lap times he was really running that weekend.
Correct.

You read that story here
jtomasik
8/6/2013 12:31pm
Eh, the way things are going , I'm surprised they let such a wonderful race exist this long.
8/6/2013 2:34pm
For me it is crazy to keep MX tracks near city centers, even in villages, I understand people that are not fan about MX.

Namur, on the other hand, looks more like Monaco for F1 !

One of the issues may be that there are a few very important tracks in Belgium. (MX was born in Belgium I think)
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
8/6/2013 3:07pm
This just in, Carlsbad will never host a GP again.
JW381
8/6/2013 3:13pm
GuyB wrote:
Thank Thomas Jefferson we still have Gatorback.
BESTY #72
8/6/2013 5:24pm
The way the GP scene is going at the moment, it just seams as though Luongo's intention is to make everyone say:

"I will never watch a GP again".

Which is slowly happening with things like this, just glad I've been to Namur 3 times, definitely one of the coolest races I've been to.

- (When Herlings makes the move over stateside, GP's won't be worth watching for a while anyway.)
The Rock
8/6/2013 7:28pm
MXMattii wrote:
I heard from a very good source that the F.I.M said NO! They're shitting on the history of their own sport. [img]https://a.abcnews.go.com/images/US/gty_mourners_tk_121217_wg.jpg[/img] [img]https://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/gallery/091006/GAL-09Oct06-2745/media/PHO-09Oct06-180759.jpg[/img]
I heard from a very good source that the F.I.M said NO! They're shitting on the history of their own sport.

So does your good source also have information identifying who is spearheading the effort for the town of Namur? Last I heard between the Greens and the 75 year old man who was the force behind this historic event retiring it didn't look good for the event ever running again.
mpy
8/7/2013 5:26am
That's a real shame... I was really hoping to see a GP there one day, especially now that I live really close by.
8/7/2013 5:31am
it would be a shame for namur to never host a gp again! the 2001 des nations was one of the best races ive ever been to. Great atmosphere at a very special place! sad sad news if true!
MXMattii
8/7/2013 5:40am
The Rock wrote:
[b]So does your good source also have information identifying who is spearheading the effort for the town of Namur?[/b] Last I heard between the Greens and...
So does your good source also have information identifying who is spearheading the effort for the town of Namur? Last I heard between the Greens and the 75 year old man who was the force behind this historic event retiring it didn't look good for the event ever running again.
Edmond Detry, Namur local and the organizer of the Belgian GP and the promoter of the Belgian Championship had the idea to host the Grand Prix in 2015 in Namur and then bring back the MXDN in 2020. The City of Namur was OK with this all but the FIM shot it down yesterday.

The FIM and Youthstream like to compare them selfs with the F1, its a shame they don't do now, because Monaco (one of the biggest GP's in history of the F1) always gets an exception on the safety standards.
MXMattii
8/7/2013 5:49am
GuyB wrote:
You probably don't understand French, like I do. But you will probably see that the date is 2013 august 06 ... (Yesterday).

1. Plus jamais de GP de Belgique de motocross à Namur
2. Plus de GP de motocross à Namur: l’échevin de la Citadelle satisfait

Yesterday in National news it was one of the highlights. I don't watch American news very often. But was Carlsbad also big news yesterday?

I know that i'm sometimes a troll, but this time I wasn't. I work together at the Belgian Championship with allot of the guys who are now screwed & depressed. If I was you I would be ashamed.
mumbles
Fantasy
842nd
8/7/2013 7:31am
I was stationed in Germany in the Air Force and went to Namur it its heyday 85 and 86. Saw all the greats on works bikes. That track was the most unusual, demanding and technical track I had ever seen. Was one of two best motocross experiences I have had over my 40 plus years in moto.

It's funny Guy B mentioned Carlsbad. The other best moment was 1980 at Carlsbad when marty Moates won. A day all will always cherish.

I understand some of the reasoning why Youthstream does some of the things they do with tracks but as a prurest I don't have to like it.

jtomasik
8/7/2013 10:18am
it would be a shame for namur to never host a gp again! the 2001 des nations was one of the best races ive ever been...
it would be a shame for namur to never host a gp again! the 2001 des nations was one of the best races ive ever been to. Great atmosphere at a very special place! sad sad news if true!
Pursang
8/7/2013 1:53pm
MXMattii wrote:
I heard from a very good source that the F.I.M said NO! They're shitting on the history of their own sport. [img]https://a.abcnews.go.com/images/US/gty_mourners_tk_121217_wg.jpg[/img] [img]https://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/gallery/091006/GAL-09Oct06-2745/media/PHO-09Oct06-180759.jpg[/img]

I saw the last GP ever there and it was the best race I ever attended. That was the year Guaneri won the MX2 with a 5-3 or something equally bizarre.

I read that it cost YS something like four times more to broadcast than other GP's because of the length of the track. Something along the lines of taking twice the number of cameras and cable than normal and it added up to big bucks.

I understand the need for moving forward but you also need tradition as well.

and so it goes.
bigborefan
8/7/2013 3:55pm
We gotta race in the infields, to grow the sport, and for the media. you know the media, the guys that help us grow the sport.

One thing i know about Vital, Never go against GuyB. If he likes something, you better like it also, or keep you opinion to yourself.

Geez, you'd think the guy owns the place or something.
PRM31
8/7/2013 6:23pm Edited Date/Time 8/7/2013 6:28pm
GuyB wrote:
When we don't race at places like Carlsbad and Namur, and we do have races at Lake Elsinore and Qatar, I say that is a bad trend. I agree change takes place, I just don't these changes as being positive. I'd really like to see a new, rough, natural terrain track.
8/7/2013 11:01pm
GuyB wrote:
PRM31 wrote:
When we don't race at places like Carlsbad and Namur, and we do have races at Lake Elsinore and Qatar, I say that is a bad...
When we don't race at places like Carlsbad and Namur, and we do have races at Lake Elsinore and Qatar, I say that is a bad trend. I agree change takes place, I just don't these changes as being positive. I'd really like to see a new, rough, natural terrain track.
What's so bad about Lake Elsinore? It's my local.

Post a reply to: Namur will never host a GP again...

The Latest