NUETECH TUBELESS TIRE CORE

Mickolobe7
Edited Date/Time 12/30/2014 12:05am
Does any of the pros run these? Who on here has the Nuetech and are you running it on rear and the front?

Are they good did a little research on them an said you get more traction in the front and rear.

|
newmann
8/3/2014 4:05pm
Good luck mounting a front one. I gave up after buggering a brand new Dunlop. Two others who know a thing or two about mounting tires gave up before they buggered new Dunlop number 2.

I have a front and a spare tube for it I'll sell you. Wait, did I just say I had a spare tube for a Tubliss?Shocked
rutsmash
8/3/2014 4:21pm
You can run lower tire pressure which is a plus and the tire will not slip on the rim. The whole tubless becomes a rim lock so you never have to worry about the tire spinning on the wheel and ripping valvestem (won't happen with this). I've never had a problem mounting both front or rear but never tried with Dunlops. You will most likely have to expand one of the holes in your rim to accomodate the tubless rim lock. In my experience, they will eventually start to leak slowly as the tubless doesn't mate up perfectly with the tire bead after some time on it. So you need to watch that and eventually may need to recenter the tubeless part so it fits snug to inner bead when inflated. I have used them a lot but always seem to go back to a regular tube every so often.
4stroke4DWIN
8/3/2014 6:06pm
Damn 99.00? The replacement bladder is 10.00 and some change. So the red liner is 89.00? Throw in mounting being a cluster. No thanks I'll stick with regular tubes.
Cygnus
8/3/2014 6:09pm
They definitely have their advantages. One big plus is being able to finish a moto or get back to the truck from the trail system is you can ride on a flat. Because it's a complete rim lock you won't throw the tire.

The Shop

josh8811
8/3/2014 6:09pm Edited Date/Time 8/3/2014 6:12pm
More trouble than they are worth.. If you're an old guy that likes tinkering more that an actually riding, knock yourself out.. Your riding buddies with hate you though If you're always getting flats miles from the truck..

Many tires are difficult and been impossible to get to seal.. There's a whole learning process..

This whole "ride it flat" thing is true.. But the tire is still flat, and it still sucks.. You can zip tie any flat to the wheel and achieve the same thing. Last week in Idaho I see a guy get two flats with this system.. Both were because the tire had a hole in it.

Ain't got time for that!!

Bridgestone ultra heavy tubes and don't look back
The Rock
8/3/2014 6:54pm
Nuetech is not for the guy that is too busy to read the directions. Jeff Douglas is also on Generation 2.0 and they are much more durable. Regarding the story about both were flat because the tire had a hold in it how would a ultra heavy duty Bridgestone help that? With Nuetech you can plug the tire on the trail.

Additional benefit is tire changes are way easier after the initial TUBLISS install as there is no tube to deal with. The TUBLISS mounting tube remains in place so tire changes are much simpler.

I have gotten feedback from a world champion and MX des Nations winner both that they were amazed how much better their suspensions worked with lower tire pressures too.

The reason why Dunlop Bridgestone and Pirelli don't run them is because of NIH
Cygnus
8/3/2014 6:56pm
The Rock wrote:
Nuetech is not for the guy that is too busy to read the directions. Jeff Douglas is also on Generation 2.0 and they are much more...
Nuetech is not for the guy that is too busy to read the directions. Jeff Douglas is also on Generation 2.0 and they are much more durable. Regarding the story about both were flat because the tire had a hold in it how would a ultra heavy duty Bridgestone help that? With Nuetech you can plug the tire on the trail.

Additional benefit is tire changes are way easier after the initial TUBLISS install as there is no tube to deal with. The TUBLISS mounting tube remains in place so tire changes are much simpler.

I have gotten feedback from a world champion and MX des Nations winner both that they were amazed how much better their suspensions worked with lower tire pressures too.

Yea so there.

What's NIH?
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3811th
8/3/2014 7:10pm
If you worry about flats, give the bib mousse's a try. They require some more effort to put on, but they are worth it in the long run.

No more worries about flats, which you can still get with the TUBLISS set up.
Cygnus
8/3/2014 7:18pm
If you worry about flats, give the bib mousse's a try. They require some more effort to put on, but they are worth it in the...
If you worry about flats, give the bib mousse's a try. They require some more effort to put on, but they are worth it in the long run.

Heavy unsprung weight. If I was a trail rider maybe but not for me for moto. That's another positive for tublis. Unsprung weight.
8/3/2014 7:54pm
If you worry about flats, give the bib mousse's a try. They require some more effort to put on, but they are worth it in the...

Cygnus wrote:
Heavy unsprung weight. If I was a trail rider maybe but not for me for moto. That's another positive for tublis. Unsprung weight.
Nope. I have weighted them personally. No lighter than HD tubes.

I gave up on them after 2 months of losing air all the time. Worst $200 I've spent on a bike.
The Rock
8/3/2014 8:09pm
The Rock wrote:
Nuetech is not for the guy that is too busy to read the directions. Jeff Douglas is also on Generation 2.0 and they are much more...

Cygnus wrote:
Yea so there.

What's NIH?
LOL RE Yea so there.

NIH Not Invented Here

If you absolutely cannot afford a flat run a mouse line. If you are mechanically inclined to the point of being able to install the TUBLISS you will love it. First time I went off roading here (and only time so far) ran into some guy on trashed CR250 Honda that was running TUBLISS front and rear and had been for awhile. He was running 8 pounds of pressure in this gnarly single track stuff and loving it.

Sheriff245=Did you weigh your rim locks and tube when comparing to the TUBLISS? Larry Brooks compared them five or so years ago and commented TUBLISS was lighter even without this rim lock variable.
endurox
8/3/2014 8:24pm

They work fine, just use some silicon grease to help slide the Tubliss liner in place. Also recommended to use a new tyre as an
old tire will leak. Great for off road, low air pressure and no pinch flats. They weight about the same as a Dunlop fatty inner tube.
Mickolobe7
8/3/2014 9:01pm
Thanks for all the feedback fellow Vital Brothers. If you run trails they are worth it and if you are running MX/SX not worth messing with them and paying the money!

Does any of the pros run them in MX/SX?

The Rock
8/3/2014 9:08pm
Arenacross for sure but in SX I believe the tire manufacturers don't let any sponsored riders/anyone that gets free tires run them.
Mickolobe7
8/3/2014 9:15pm
The Rock wrote:
Arenacross for sure but in SX I believe the tire manufacturers don't let any sponsored riders/anyone that gets free tires run them.
Thanks Rock. I thought I heard last year in one of the MX races I thought I heard some one say something about the tubeless tires they run in the rear.
The Rock
8/3/2014 9:33pm
Not everyone runs free tires and not everyone has their tires mounted by the tire folks so it is entirely plausible some folks are running TUBLISS at the Nationals.

Tire pressure makes so much difference in automobile racing and to a lesser extent in MX/SX. I remember McGrath did a lot of testing with various tire pressures to help him with his starts. That guy was the master at keeping the back wheel hooked up and not breaking traction.

Just remembered someone said the run flat capability wasn't that big of deal that you could just use zip ties to hold the tire on. Back five or so years ago when Dubach was helping test the TUBLISS he didn't have time to stop during the race at Mammoth to put on zip ties so he finished on a flat with TUBLISS.

I look at TUBLISS as a huge tuning advantage and don't really get caught up on the flat issues especially since in my 40 years of racing MX I think I got three flats. I can really only remember clearly the last one at Mammoth in 98 I think it was.

I actually pinched more tubes changing tires than I ever got racing so anyone out there that can relate to my experiences would love TUBLISS.
c_dub
8/3/2014 9:45pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2014 12:39am
I've been curious of these as well.

Rock,

On their website it says 0-10 psi. Can you go more than 10 psi? What are you running on the track vs. trail? Wouldn't one want more than 10 psi for the track? Thanks.
The Rock
8/3/2014 10:43pm Edited Date/Time 8/3/2014 10:43pm
Absolutely you can go up 12 or 13 but at that point you're negating the effects of the TUBLISS.

I used them for MX at 10 pounds but have never used them on trail. Reports are 8 pounds and lower but there are so many variables it is hard to make a blanket statement.
8/4/2014 4:42am
The Rock wrote:
LOL RE Yea so there. NIH Not Invented Here If you absolutely cannot afford a flat run a mouse line. If you are mechanically inclined to...
LOL RE Yea so there.

NIH Not Invented Here

If you absolutely cannot afford a flat run a mouse line. If you are mechanically inclined to the point of being able to install the TUBLISS you will love it. First time I went off roading here (and only time so far) ran into some guy on trashed CR250 Honda that was running TUBLISS front and rear and had been for awhile. He was running 8 pounds of pressure in this gnarly single track stuff and loving it.

Sheriff245=Did you weigh your rim locks and tube when comparing to the TUBLISS? Larry Brooks compared them five or so years ago and commented TUBLISS was lighter even without this rim lock variable.
I did consider the rim locks, because I run them on my bikes. Larry Brooks must run some really thick tubes. I compared against Bridgestone UHDs.
TMV
8/4/2014 6:11am
Schwalbe is bringing it to the MTB scene as if it was a revolution, lol...
pete24
8/4/2014 6:42am Edited Date/Time 8/4/2014 6:43am
i got two "tubliss" setups for free first they have tubes, so where is the "tubliss" second you ruin your rim buy drilling out the rim lock hole so if you ever want to go back there is that, third its possible to get the tire on in under ten minutes , but its a pain in the ass, and the things are expensive run some heavy tubes and your, good those things are a gimmick
ehr400
8/4/2014 7:18am
Alot of guys in the woods racing I know run them with no issues whatsoever. It isnt hard to mount tires or the system, I dont see why some are saying that. They work awesome for low PSI setups for trials tires in the single tracks. Have seen guys take a railroad spike thru his tire 8 miles from our trucks and he rode it back at pace and never came off the rim all while negoitating roots and rocks.
newmann
8/4/2014 9:18am
ehr400 wrote:
Alot of guys in the woods racing I know run them with no issues whatsoever. It isnt hard to mount tires or the system, I dont...
Alot of guys in the woods racing I know run them with no issues whatsoever. It isnt hard to mount tires or the system, I dont see why some are saying that. They work awesome for low PSI setups for trials tires in the single tracks. Have seen guys take a railroad spike thru his tire 8 miles from our trucks and he rode it back at pace and never came off the rim all while negoitating roots and rocks.
I got the back one on with no issues. It's the front that kicked my ass. The Tubliss takes up all the space down in the bead of the rim which made it extremely difficult to get the last bit of the tire over the lip. Loads of tire mounting lube , good tire irons and all and it still ended up with a small amount of damage to the inner lip of the tire bead (which seals against the tubliss)which ended up causing a leak. Took it off, cleaned and inspected it good and remounted , still leaked. Bought a new tire and let two actual bike mechanics who have changed hundreds of tires take a stab at it and they gave up as they were freaking out over skinning up the new black rim trying to wrestle the tire on. Ended up sticking a tube in it and moved forward. Used the damaged tire (no real damage) on my sons 144 with a tube of course when I freshened it up recently. Damaged for a Tubliss, but perfectly fine with a tube.
peelout
8/4/2014 9:21am
my 300 came with one for the rear but I haven't put it in. I run Bridgestone Ultra Heavy tubes with an 18" rear, so unless it's a nail i'm not getting a flat tire.

been thinking about selling my setup if anyone is interested
PFitzG38
8/4/2014 9:49am Edited Date/Time 8/4/2014 9:51am
I'm a believer. I've been running these front and rear since I got a front flat while leading the main at Mammoth with 2 laps to go. I've had 1 rear flat in the last 4 years, surprisingly by spinning the tire and ripping the valve(?)

Also, they are easier and quicker to mount after you've done it once or twice - and you CAN run much less pressure.

BTW, I didn't bother drilling the rim.
newmann
8/4/2014 10:00am
PFitzG38 wrote:
I'm a believer. I've been running these front and rear since I got a front flat while leading the main at Mammoth with 2 laps to...
I'm a believer. I've been running these front and rear since I got a front flat while leading the main at Mammoth with 2 laps to go. I've had 1 rear flat in the last 4 years, surprisingly by spinning the tire and ripping the valve(?)

Also, they are easier and quicker to mount after you've done it once or twice - and you CAN run much less pressure.

Then how did you get the oversize rimlock/air valve through the rim?
ehr400
8/4/2014 10:05am
ehr400 wrote:
Alot of guys in the woods racing I know run them with no issues whatsoever. It isnt hard to mount tires or the system, I dont...
newmann wrote:
I got the back one on with no issues. It's the front that kicked my ass. The Tubliss takes up all the space down in the...
I got the back one on with no issues. It's the front that kicked my ass. The Tubliss takes up all the space down in the bead of the rim which made it extremely difficult to get the last bit of the tire over the lip. Loads of tire mounting lube , good tire irons and all and it still ended up with a small amount of damage to the inner lip of the tire bead (which seals against the tubliss)which ended up causing a leak. Took it off, cleaned and inspected it good and remounted , still leaked. Bought a new tire and let two actual bike mechanics who have changed hundreds of tires take a stab at it and they gave up as they were freaking out over skinning up the new black rim trying to wrestle the tire on. Ended up sticking a tube in it and moved forward. Used the damaged tire (no real damage) on my sons 144 with a tube of course when I freshened it up recently. Damaged for a Tubliss, but perfectly fine with a tube.
yeah the front is alot tougher then the rear but not terrible. I think easier then a bib mousse I think.
8/4/2014 10:09am
Had a set for a year.

When it works it was awsome. But the rear one would never seat, and had to bring a pump whit me
The Rock
8/4/2014 11:07am
Sheriff245 wrote:
I did consider the rim locks, because I run them on my bikes. Larry Brooks must run some really thick tubes. I compared against Bridgestone UHDs.
June 2014 MXA: the Nuetech -equipped wheel is one pound lighter than a stock wheel with a heavy duty racing tube. I think Larry and MXA both have accurate scales. MXA also pointed out without the friction of a tube the tire pressure stays more consistent than a tube during a moto.

Read full five star test of the Nuetech 2.0 TUBLISS on page 134.

PS As per MXA "We recommend you read the directions."
tmauto769
Fantasy
1001st
8/4/2014 1:13pm
Sheriff245 wrote:
The Rock wrote:
June 2014 MXA: [b] the Nuetech -equipped wheel is one pound lighter [/b]than a stock wheel with a heavy duty racing tube. I think Larry and...
June 2014 MXA: the Nuetech -equipped wheel is one pound lighter than a stock wheel with a heavy duty racing tube. I think Larry and MXA both have accurate scales. MXA also pointed out without the friction of a tube the tire pressure stays more consistent than a tube during a moto.

Read full five star test of the Nuetech 2.0 TUBLISS on page 134.

PS As per MXA "We recommend you read the directions."
I had them for a while, and when I weighed them they were real close to a regular tube, with the tube being a hair lighter. I don't think they were terrible, but I do think they are a waste of $200 though. I sold mine and got half my money back. I will just stick with regular tubes.

Post a reply to: NUETECH TUBELESS TIRE CORE

The Latest