NE racers please read

chrisbuehler
6/3/2010 9:43am
ovittmx wrote:
RIPPED OFF BY NEMA AGAIN I would like to share with all my personal experiences over the last few years attempting to have a fair race...

RIPPED OFF BY NEMA AGAIN

I would like to share with all my personal experiences over the last few years attempting to have a fair race day with the NEMA organization. My latest experience this weekend has me frustrated and angry. As a quick preface years ago my son raced an event on a strange to them King Cobra, did well and was subsequently misscored in a terrible way. That was a fight to correct. Shortly thereafter I entered parent B, won the first moto, and was called for the second moto dead last. That’s not how its suppose to work. Back then NEMA was a powerful organization, their turnouts were huge to say the least…The next few years we tried a few more and always tried to watch ourselves from getting screwed, we actually met quite a few nice families that believed our horror stories from the past but tried to assure us that it was better now…So here we get to this weekend. My son practices hard and dedicates himself to motocross..He enjoys being rewarded for his hard work. This weekend for him was the one he had been waiting for. The race was held at his favorite track Winchester Speedpark in New Hampshie. It was a special event run by Nema, a double day weekend. Blake had a good day winning the first moto. He felt good but knew the second place rider was knocking on his door the last lap and he would have to have a good second moto. Second moto he rode well and despite pressure from behind held second for the overall win. He was happy to finally achieve his goal as all 14 year olds would be. We waited patiently for two and a half hours to see if we would get screwed again like in the past. We were horrified to see that they had scored him 1-24. WHAT?????WHY??? I shook my head and tried not to blow my top. Asking the girl in the trailer why she stated that he was docked a lap for jumping on yellow…My wife and I were sitting at the section where the caution was and he did not jump on yellow She sent us to the head referee where we met other parents wondering about the same issues with their childs finishes. The referee at first stated that my son jumped on yellow……then changed his story to being three wide the corner before. We explained that was impossible because those laps he wasn’t even being challenged….then he changed his story to he was too aggressive the corner before the yellow flag…by then I figured out what was going on….My son was here for all of this ,hes not new to motocross and knows what a yellow flag means, He was crushed he knew that he did no wrong. We went back to the results board to see who benefited most from these riders being docked a lap and found that a Nema board members son (who didn’t actually do so hot the second moto)got bumped up to second overall. Disgusted at the whole thing we talked to the President of Nema thereafter and got the politically correct response I was expecting about paying a $25 protest fee and it would be considered. Yeah right! Naturally we packed up early and left their Bullshit behind…Im generally a nice guy but they’ve pissed off the wrong person this time. I encourage others with similar stories(and I know there are plenty out there) to post how you got screwed by NEMA. If they keep this up their races will be a ghosttown and they can have races between their board members. I will post this on as many message boards that I possibly can and there are a lot…Make things right because the internet is a powerful voice…Join me

OVITT MOTOCROSS
Right. Experts are the only ones who get 20min+2laps. Never had a problem in NESC EVER.
Huckster
6/3/2010 10:15am
I've been reading this thread for the last couple day in amazement. I've been racing at local levels since 1975 in socal ,las vegas and all...
I've been reading this thread for the last couple day in amazement. I've been racing at local levels since 1975 in socal ,las vegas and all over oregon and washington and I've never seen any scoring favoritism or elitist stuff you guys talk about. Maybe I was just too oblivious to notice but I don't think so. Maybe it's just different in the NE,,who knows? I've raced allot locally and and I've never had a scoring issue. And I've raced numerous LLQ's too with no issues. Sure they've messed up before but usually it's just a simple mistake that easily corrected with a talk to the officials. While reading this shit I just shake my head. I've never had money, always have had the ghetto set up and have never felt any animosity because of that. Shit there was a few years that my mom took me to the races in a 78 buick estate station wagon pulling a home made one rail trailer and everyone was always cool with me. I usually made friends with the kids in the sick motorhome set ups and pitted w/them..lol If I were you guys I'd never put up with that shit and If I had to deal with someone fucking with my kid intentionally some heads would roll.
what does this have to do with NEMA and his issue?
ovittmx
6/3/2010 1:14pm
Thats my MAIN gripe...People messing with my kid. Unfortually for NEMA kids are the future...KIds grow up someday and if NEMA is still around I guarantee he wont bring his kid there. I e-mailed the president of NEMA and told him to check out this thread....Nothing yet...Thanks for the support again!
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
6/3/2010 1:45pm
I've been reading this thread for the last couple day in amazement. I've been racing at local levels since 1975 in socal ,las vegas and all...
I've been reading this thread for the last couple day in amazement. I've been racing at local levels since 1975 in socal ,las vegas and all over oregon and washington and I've never seen any scoring favoritism or elitist stuff you guys talk about. Maybe I was just too oblivious to notice but I don't think so. Maybe it's just different in the NE,,who knows? I've raced allot locally and and I've never had a scoring issue. And I've raced numerous LLQ's too with no issues. Sure they've messed up before but usually it's just a simple mistake that easily corrected with a talk to the officials. While reading this shit I just shake my head. I've never had money, always have had the ghetto set up and have never felt any animosity because of that. Shit there was a few years that my mom took me to the races in a 78 buick estate station wagon pulling a home made one rail trailer and everyone was always cool with me. I usually made friends with the kids in the sick motorhome set ups and pitted w/them..lol If I were you guys I'd never put up with that shit and If I had to deal with someone fucking with my kid intentionally some heads would roll.
Huckster wrote:
what does this have to do with NEMA and his issue?
Dunes is a attention whore.

The Shop

SteveS
6/3/2010 2:08pm
What does Dunes' post have to do with it? He's expressing his amazement at what is claimed to be going on in the northeast. I'd echo the sentiment. I've never seen nor experienced anything like that around here.
Fast Orange
6/3/2010 2:36pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:18pm
A friend of ours, John Barry from Troy Lee moved to So Cal years ago & never looked back. Maybe we should have too!
DTSRacing
6/3/2010 3:16pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:18pm
Winchesters web site for the LLQ that they held had posted rider eligibility that came direct from MXSports/AMA. It was as follows:
F6. Riders that participate in a higher-level at any AMA or NON-AMA track will be considered as advanced to that classification.
Exception: Youth A can drop to regular B until:
F11. No rider, youth or amateur, can be forced to compete in the A class until January 1 following their 16th birthday. Riders under 16 years old may advance on their own ability/competence.
So this means any rider who races youth A and is 16 as of Jan. 1 can NOT drop down to B for LL National. At the area qualifier we were told this rule would not be inforced. That just is not right! There is aleast 3 riders going to the regional that have broken this rule. Here is where NEMA becomes involved. Two of the riders are sons of NEMA board members! Isn't that nice. I was told one of the riders parents called MXSports and explained that NEMAs A class is an amateur class not an expert class (BULLSH*T) and mxsports bought it. The problem Both of these NEMA riders had raced the A class at theNew England Regional at Winchester last year. I would think that makes them an A rider. NEMA Board members manipulate events to favor their kids. Once we were told by a NEMA ref that we had to duct tape our brand new backgrounds, because of color, only to find when we took our gate that that refs son had the wrong color background, but that was ok.
In closing this sums up what kind of people are running NEMA.
Huckster
6/3/2010 3:59pm
SteveS wrote:
What does Dunes' post have to do with it? He's expressing his amazement at what is claimed to be going on in the northeast. I'd echo...
What does Dunes' post have to do with it? He's expressing his amazement at what is claimed to be going on in the northeast. I'd echo the sentiment. I've never seen nor experienced anything like that around here.
it took a dissertation about his past to show that? Seems you did it in a sentence. Lostboy may have a point?

Pardon me if I am wrong, but what did NEMA have to do with the LL qualifier at Winchester? I am not sure how DC and LL got thrown into this but I think the double weekend at Winchester was a different event. I could be wrong though.
DTSRacing
6/3/2010 4:02pm
They are seperate events. Just trying to show what NEMA is made of. Nothing good!
Matt Wozney
6/3/2010 4:08pm
Winchester LLQ was not a NEMA-related event.
I have no knowledge of NEMA and how they work so anyways, if this is happening, sad to see it like this. Hope for the best for both parties.
ovittmx
6/3/2010 4:10pm
DTS-Looks like you have the same animosity towards NEMA as I do. I joined vital to post this and it looks like you joined so your opinion could be heard too. A few riders,including my son,got docked a lap and the beneficiary was the son of a NEMA boardmember.
DanDunes818
6/3/2010 4:18pm
Actually I just type what I'm thinking. Looking back on that you're right though.. I thought to much..lol
DTSRacing
6/3/2010 4:35pm
Ovitt, 100% correct. Lets just hope NEMA can turn their reputation around in the future. We all need as many places to race as possible for the future of our sport.
braaapppp
6/4/2010 7:56am
It's really sad when this type of conflict arises. Unfortunatly I feel there are more issues underlying this situation. Whenever contingency is involved, it seems these type of situations arise everytime. As far as the board members son is concerned, he places in the top 3 continuously every weekend. I don't believe this can be used as a valid argument because of his consistancy in placing in the top 3. Riders chasing contingency always find a way to nit-pic the system when they dont get what they want. I am not saying you are doing this, but if there is a pattern forming at every NEMA race that you attend (even when the board and referees have changed over the years) maybe rider habits should be looked at more closely as the problem, not the organization.
JerseyFresh
6/4/2010 8:28am
Just ride, who cares about plastic trophies. Fuckin people will protest you for illegal grips on your bike these days. I think there should be a Parents' box at the races, so they're all in one spot and can just complain and yell at each other. I'm really over Tony Alessi wanna-bes throwing lawn chairs and screaming cause Jr. fell over in practice.
ovittmx
6/4/2010 11:37am
The issues underlying this are nothing more than running a legit race and rewarding kids for a good race . We follow the rules-pay the entry-and get screwed- RIDER HABITS as you say have nothing to do with this. Nema habits are what this is about. If I can warn enough people of what to expect maybe I can save some other child from the heartbreak. I just wonder how often the finishes and penalties are manipulated. Speaking of contingency I heard a story about NEMA sending false finishes in to direct more $ toward their riders....Thats just a rumor I heard.
MXEditor
6/4/2010 11:45am
Just ride, who cares about plastic trophies. Fuckin people will protest you for illegal grips on your bike these days. I think there should be a...
Just ride, who cares about plastic trophies. Fuckin people will protest you for illegal grips on your bike these days. I think there should be a Parents' box at the races, so they're all in one spot and can just complain and yell at each other. I'm really over Tony Alessi wanna-bes throwing lawn chairs and screaming cause Jr. fell over in practice.
You know who cares about plastic trophies?

Kids.

It can mean the world to them.
6/4/2010 1:50pm
Yeah because jumpin on a yellow is no serious issue? don't worry about it when he is the down one and someone hits him jumping on a yellow. You people chasing contingency sicken me. All you are in it for is money.
ovittmx
6/4/2010 2:13pm
I sat there and noone jumped on yellow. We dont chase contingency, havent made contingency since 65 days. been thru a badly broken humerous...what he is chasing is that overall victory that he hasnt had in two years. He been riding since 5 years old and is the one who aleays rolls on yellow when everyone else jumps. He knows what yellow flag means. My kid is not an "elitist". hes a normal 14 year old that gets high honors and wakes up at 5;30 every morning and still knows its important to practice.I work 16 hour days so we can have fun on weekends and have good equipment and it pisses me off when he works so hard and gets ripped. To the previous poster I hope those comments werent aimed at me because thats not the case,
6/4/2010 3:04pm
They were mostly aimed at people chasing contingency risking their children to make a quick hundred bucks, dropping into lower classes so they can take the money. But if he really wasn't jumping yellow I don't see why they would pick on your kid.
RACEGUY
6/4/2010 3:07pm
They were mostly aimed at people chasing contingency risking their children to make a quick hundred bucks, dropping into lower classes so they can take the...
They were mostly aimed at people chasing contingency risking their children to make a quick hundred bucks, dropping into lower classes so they can take the money. But if he really wasn't jumping yellow I don't see why they would pick on your kid.
To move him out of the way, points-wise. Obviously it changes the overall result at the end of the day.
ovittmx
6/4/2010 3:27pm
You got my point race guy. The benefitter actually went like 2-7 for second overall. but thats not what the results show because riders(not only mine)got docked a lap for jumping on yellow-or was it three wide-or was it too agressive the corner before. The referee couldnt make up his mind-or couldnt get his story straight.
braaapppp
6/4/2010 3:29pm
ovittmx wrote:
The issues underlying this are nothing more than running a legit race and rewarding kids for a good race . We follow the rules-pay the entry-and...
The issues underlying this are nothing more than running a legit race and rewarding kids for a good race . We follow the rules-pay the entry-and get screwed- RIDER HABITS as you say have nothing to do with this. Nema habits are what this is about. If I can warn enough people of what to expect maybe I can save some other child from the heartbreak. I just wonder how often the finishes and penalties are manipulated. Speaking of contingency I heard a story about NEMA sending false finishes in to direct more $ toward their riders....Thats just a rumor I heard.
All I am saying is that NEMA board members and refs change yearly. This years board members can be different then the ones from three years ago. If this has happened at past races and is happening again now, there is only one common link and thats the rider. Organizations do not have it out for the riders. If organizations like NEMA had it out for riders, it wouldn't be around because of situations like this. All riders make mistakes, but part of racing is knowing how to live with those mistakes and moving on.
ovittmx
6/4/2010 3:37pm
The referee could decide what he was docking my son for....My hope is that NEMA reads this(I assume you are NEMA from your views) and works on changing their ways...How many members did NEMA have 10 years ago (ALOT) and how many now (A WHOLE LOT LESS) doesnt that tell you something! Like I said to the president I wont be back and will tell as many people as I can to avoid you...SO was it worth it????
ronr359
6/6/2010 5:04pm
OVIITT I am the head ref at nema yes I Did speak with you I never changed my story 3 times I simply explained to you your rider had jumped under yellow and their was 3 refs their tending to the downed rider who called in the penelty . first read our rule book that is available at sign up to all riders we are a youth org and dont allow any jumping or forward advancement under yellow for riders and medics safty . if your rider was down you would not like bikes jumping by his head or roosting him when he is down .if you look at the results there where many rider docked a lap even regular members. we dont pick out certain riders you can ask any ref from any org you dont even see the x on the bike that is if the rider puts it on. we do have many new board members and new refs also. we are out their to get the kids the best racing and track time possiable. I am not going to go round and round on this. I am fair and i would never even think about making another call for a board members child. the members vote for the board and everyone has their own thoughts.IT DOES NOT MEAN WE ARE ALL FREINDS .BECAUSE they are on the board ...sorry if you feel you got screwed..OH ya i drive a pick up and trailer to the race every week with my family of 5 to have a good time...
RON ROSSI

125C 12-15 - Class Finish Positions Points for this class 2010 Spring Series 2010 Overall Series

Overall Nbr Name Moto 1 Moto 2 Points Earned
1st #303x ANTHONY SMITH - KAW
E. SANDWICH, MA 3rd 1st 95
2nd #75 DANIEL ADAMITSKIY - KAW
NEWINGTON, CT 2nd 3rd 92
3rd #138x BRANDON DAVIS - KAW
EAST BRIDGEWATER, MA 4th 2nd 90
4th #759 RILEY GREENE - YAM
JAMESTOWN, RI 5th 4th 85
5th #665 ZACHERY NOBREGA - KAW
TIVERTON, RI 8th 5th 81
6th #95 MARLA PHELPS - KAW
W SUFFIELD, CT 9th 6th 79
7th #226 RYAN FLETCHER - SUZ
PLAINFIELD, CT 7th 11th 76
8th #110 BRODIE MCCLAIN - YAM
GLASTONBURY, CT 12th 9th 74
9th #36 BILLY MULLEN - HON
TRUMBULL, CT 16th 7th 72
10th #409 NICHOLAS VONA - HON
BELCHERTOWN, MA 15th 8th 72
11th #78x BLAKE OVITT - KAW
ASHLEY FALLS, MA 1st 24th 73
12th #224 DANIEL CAVANNA - SUZ
S. GLASTONBURRY, CT 14th 12th 69
13th #611 NICHOLAS MASTRANGELO - KAW
GLASTONBURY, CT 10th 16th 31
14th #507 KODEY WHITE - KTM
PITTSFIELD, MA 11th 17th 67
15th #407 SHAWN BRESNAHAN - SUZ
BELCHERTOWN, MA 6th 25th 63
16th #40 NATHAN SLADER - KAW
FOSTER, RI 19th 14th 62
17th #756x BRANDON LEMAIRE - HON
ADAMS, MA 18th 15th 62
18th #114x JACOB TAVANTO - KAW
UXBRIDGE, MA 17th 18th 60
19th #622 RYAN HOLLIS - KTM
SAUGUS, MA 28th 10th 57
20th #299x ANDREW MCMANN - HON
LEOUGH, ME 26th 13th 56
21st #124 NICKOLAS TAUSCHER - KAW
HOLYOKE, MA 22nd 19th 54
22nd #120 RYAN COVILLE - KAW
BROWNSFIELD, ME 13th 28th 54
23rd #387x KEVIN WHITE - KAW
ELLINGTON, CT 21st 21st 53
24th #891 TYLER JABAUT - YAM
E.HAVEN, CT 20th 22nd 53
25th #707 GIANNA GABRIELLA - SUZ
AUBURN, MA 24th 20th 51
26th #614 RYAN PAYNE - YAM
WEST SPRINGFIELD, MA 23rd 23rd 49
27th #14x ROBBIE BOMBARD - YAM
SOUTHWICK, MA 25th 26th 44
28th #250 BRANT HALL - KAW
RUMFORD, RI 27th 27th 41
DNS #595 ALEX SMALLWOOD - HON
SCOTLAND, CT DNS DNS 0

6/6/2010 5:39pm
MXEditor wrote:
You know who cares about plastic trophies?

Kids.

It can mean the world to them.
Don't take this as an attack but I feel that if a young rider bases his feelings on material rewards like a trophy, then they're in store for a lot of disappointment later in life.

Don't get me wrong, I know the joy a trophy can bring as I was once in the same situation. I was DQ'd and docked multiple times for similar situations and truly believe I am a better person now because of them. I know how easy it is to get caught up in the trap of letting my emotions and satisfaction depend on the hardware brought back from the motocross track. However after being screwed multiple times, often accompanied by tears and screaming parents, I was able to find a much more dependable source of satisfaction; being proud of the way I rode.

The original post in this thread really brought me back to when I was in the same situations. What have I learned since then? I've learned that racing organizations are all ran by a group of "good-ol-boys" that will do anything and everything in their power to make themselves or their kids look good. It's nearly impossible to find justice in situations like these and this is something that will always be prevalent in our sport.

If I could give one piece of advice to the kid who was screwed out of what he earned, it would be to take that frustration and use it as motivation to come back the next week and show them all who's the man, AGAIN.

If I could give one piece of advice to his father it would be to swallow his pride for the time being and focus on things that can be controlled, like keeping his son's spirits high. By helping him recognize that what was more important on that day than the little piece of plastic that was denied to him is a simple fact, HE WAS THE MAN that day and it took good-ol-boy politics to try and negate that. Often times causing waves in the pool by making a big deal out of situations like these does more harm than good as it puts a biiiig target on your back.
Sonny
6/6/2010 6:33pm
Ron, Thanks for responding to this post.
I have one comment or maybe suggestion. If you look at the NEMA membership and where the majority come from, it appears as if it's CT, RI and Southern MA. Isn't NEMA taking a beating when they have races in Maine, and Hickory Hill. Wouldn't NEMA benefit from a a few southern NY tracks like Claverack, Walden or Southwoods?

Also it would be nice if the riders from the Winchester orginization were allowed to win contingency money when they win fair and square.
Chris_ONeal
6/6/2010 6:47pm
Sonny wrote:
Ron, Thanks for responding to this post. I have one comment or maybe suggestion. If you look at the NEMA membership and where the majority come...
Ron, Thanks for responding to this post.
I have one comment or maybe suggestion. If you look at the NEMA membership and where the majority come from, it appears as if it's CT, RI and Southern MA. Isn't NEMA taking a beating when they have races in Maine, and Hickory Hill. Wouldn't NEMA benefit from a a few southern NY tracks like Claverack, Walden or Southwoods?

Also it would be nice if the riders from the Winchester orginization were allowed to win contingency money when they win fair and square.
No clue, but I doubt they will go to NY because NEMA stands for New England Motocross Association. Who knows.....
Sonny
6/6/2010 7:40pm
No clue, but I doubt they will go to NY because NEMA stands for New England Motocross Association. Who knows.....
It stood for that in the 80's also, when membership was flourishing and they hit the NY tracks.
MXEditor
6/6/2010 7:55pm
TripleFive, I hear you but the fact of the matter is that kids dig trophies. That's been my personal observation...unfortunatly life is about material things somewhat, at least in our lifestyle and culture, and I think you have to aknowledge that a bit.

Just an opinion, not looking to get into one of these VitalStyleArguments...had a great weekend riding and feeling good braaaaaaaap!!

I actually met the original poster of this thread this weekend! Small world...

Post a reply to: NE racers please read

The Latest