NBC Coverage

swissguy
7/5/2011 7:47am
I don't see the breaks due to advertisement as being the biggest problem, but coming from switzerland, where the whole media stuff is built totally different, I was astonished how they could do a mid-race-interview with a bmx-boy. Excuse me, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the race and if NBC wants this kid on the show, they could do the interview just before the race starts.
Another thing that seemed quite strange to me (because it's so different to what I'm used to) was the way they promoted their own shows while showing the actual race! Weege and Emig surely missed a couple of pretty interesting parts of the race just because they were talking about Muscle Milk, the daily habit and other stuff like that.
jndmx
7/5/2011 7:52am
I think Bestwick being on the show and the BMX guy interview is part of trying to get the crossover market for the folks that are into action sports like The Dew Tour and X-Games etc....

Put something in the broadcast that they can relate to and you increase the chance that they may tune in again in the future.

For the record I didn't care much for it either but I can understand the reasoning, you have to try and grow the fan base to make future broadcasts more attractive to sponsors.
swissguy
7/5/2011 7:57am
jndmx wrote:
I think Bestwick being on the show and the BMX guy interview is part of trying to get the crossover market for the folks that are...
I think Bestwick being on the show and the BMX guy interview is part of trying to get the crossover market for the folks that are into action sports like The Dew Tour and X-Games etc....

Put something in the broadcast that they can relate to and you increase the chance that they may tune in again in the future.

For the record I didn't care much for it either but I can understand the reasoning, you have to try and grow the fan base to make future broadcasts more attractive to sponsors.
I understand your crossmarket argument, but again: when this is in the middle of the race - why would a bmx fan watch a race for 20 minutes just to get this interview? The best choice would be to do it before the race - every moto fan could watch the race and the bmx fan could choose if he wants to watch the race or not.
Sunhouse
7/5/2011 8:01am
Not to sound like a total douche, but MX will never go mainstream, so personally I´d rather have an uninterupted race to watch the following day, rather than seeing 30mins of adds, and 10mins of replays of what happened in the race during the adds on NBC. I don´t care if it makes motocross available to couch potatoes. Chances are people outside the sport are bored after 5minutes of watching anyway

The Shop

jndmx
7/5/2011 8:14am
Sunhouse wrote:
Not to sound like a total douche, but MX will never go mainstream, so personally I´d rather have an uninterupted race to watch the following day...
Not to sound like a total douche, but MX will never go mainstream, so personally I´d rather have an uninterupted race to watch the following day, rather than seeing 30mins of adds, and 10mins of replays of what happened in the race during the adds on NBC. I don´t care if it makes motocross available to couch potatoes. Chances are people outside the sport are bored after 5minutes of watching anyway
Without a bigger fanbase and a market for sponsors to feel like they are getting some ROI there wouldn't be moto on TV at all.
Remember the OLN year when there was no telling when or if the races would be on?

Again I am not a fan of the commercials and off-topic interviews but that is what it takes to bring the exposure up so we can have MX on TV.
PaleBlue
7/5/2011 8:55am Edited Date/Time 7/5/2011 8:56am
Sunhouse wrote:
Not to sound like a total douche, but MX will never go mainstream, so personally I´d rather have an uninterupted race to watch the following day...
jndmx wrote:
Without a bigger fanbase and a market for sponsors to feel like they are getting some ROI there wouldn't be moto on TV at all. Remember...
Without a bigger fanbase and a market for sponsors to feel like they are getting some ROI there wouldn't be moto on TV at all.
Remember the OLN year when there was no telling when or if the races would be on?

Again I am not a fan of the commercials and off-topic interviews but that is what it takes to bring the exposure up so we can have MX on TV.
I kind of follow your reasoning but it doesnt stand up. MX is a far smaller sport in Europe, yet we get uninterrupted live TV coverage of ALL the GP motos and live coverage of the last two AMA motos (with strange portions where your ads would be). You guy really don't have to settle for your crappy coverage. The guy who wanted fuller/better coverage a day or so later is right - I record our stuff regularly , cos' most weekends we're busy racing anyway.

P.S. we get pretty much all our sport uninterrupted (except the tour) because anything else is unacceptable and people will switch off. If you guys vote with your remotes, who knows?
Rooster
7/5/2011 9:06am
Take a closer look at the kinds of ads being served during the commercial break. In my area, besides the expected motorcycle ads, it's usually all unpaid ads for community festivals, community service and the TV station's other shows. They're clearly having difficulty selling ads for the race. Since most stations will insert their own regional ads, I wonder if others have noticed this. Maybe it's just my area (picking up NBC out of Spokane, WA).
希望
7/5/2011 9:17am
The NBC coverage was shit.

Where do I start. First, they didn't show reeds pass on Alessi which would have been nice since they battled for several laps. Also, I don't give a flying fuck about some kid on a BMX riding the Dew Tour nor do I give a rats ass about some race car driver attending the race. Finally, who the fuck's idea was it to put a Brit in the booth with Emig and Weege. There's absolutely no need to go importing announcers from the U.K. when there are plenty of capable people here who can do it. Besides, 3 announcers is 1 too many.

The NBC coverage was total crap. But I've given up on these broadcasts and hoping that they will ever appeal to the real hard core moto fan. That's not who the broadcasts are targeting.
jndmx
7/5/2011 9:27am Edited Date/Time 7/5/2011 9:28am
PaleBlue wrote:
I kind of follow your reasoning but it doesnt stand up. MX is a far smaller sport in Europe, yet we get uninterrupted live TV coverage...
I kind of follow your reasoning but it doesnt stand up. MX is a far smaller sport in Europe, yet we get uninterrupted live TV coverage of ALL the GP motos and live coverage of the last two AMA motos (with strange portions where your ads would be). You guy really don't have to settle for your crappy coverage. The guy who wanted fuller/better coverage a day or so later is right - I record our stuff regularly , cos' most weekends we're busy racing anyway.

P.S. we get pretty much all our sport uninterrupted (except the tour) because anything else is unacceptable and people will switch off. If you guys vote with your remotes, who knows?
I hear what you are saying but I think the competition for the broadcast times in the states may be a little more crowded than the markets overseas.
That is a complete guess and not meant to be a slight in any way, just a possible explanation.
We are flooded with stuff over here and it certainly isn't all quality programming.

Perhaps you guys are just ahead of us when it comes to the broadcasting part of the package.
I definitely see that there is room for improvement but like I said previously we have made some great strides and according to a post by DC we are looking at getting all live motos next year.

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to actually watching it live as I am at an MX track working almost every weekend and my son is racing.
c3011
7/5/2011 9:52am
Sunhouse wrote:
jndmx wrote:
Without a bigger fanbase and a market for sponsors to feel like they are getting some ROI there wouldn't be moto on TV at all. Remember...

PaleBlue wrote:
I kind of follow your reasoning but it doesnt stand up. MX is a far smaller sport in Europe, yet we get uninterrupted live TV coverage...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a lot more sports being shown on pay-per-view in Europe than in NA? If it is, in that case I definitely would expect that commercial interruption would be minimal. If you look at the four big sports is NA (American Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey) they are perfect for the TV advertisement system the networks use here with all of the play stoppages. Until the networks decide they are missing out on money (ala soccer) there won't be much interest in the networks accommodating MX. I think the biggest advertising compromise for soccer was when the advertising numbers work for company's (Snickers, etc) to have their company logo in the upper corner of the TV screen while the game was going on. I was at the race so the coverage just helped me see what was happing on the other side of the track from where I was at.
peelout
7/5/2011 10:10am
i think Bestwick does just fine. he is there to add a little bit of celebrity fire-power because of his name.

he's doing just fine.

i just wish i would have known the 2nd 450 moto was going to be on NBC. nothing worse than coming home from a 4 day weekend only to find out my DVR was never set up to record it because it's on NBC and not Speed...
machine
7/5/2011 10:44am
peelout wrote:
i think Bestwick does just fine. he is there to add a little bit of celebrity fire-power because of his name. he's doing just fine. i...
i think Bestwick does just fine. he is there to add a little bit of celebrity fire-power because of his name.

he's doing just fine.

i just wish i would have known the 2nd 450 moto was going to be on NBC. nothing worse than coming home from a 4 day weekend only to find out my DVR was never set up to record it because it's on NBC and not Speed...
I had the same thing happen to me. Since then I have been going here http://www.allisports.com/motocross/series-info every week to make sure.
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
7/5/2011 12:29pm
Bestwick may be a celebrity, but I didn't know he even existed before the broadcast. He was no asset to the coverage.
machine
7/5/2011 12:35pm
peelout wrote:
i got lucky that someone posted both 450 motos in HD on youtube
sweet
Brent
7/5/2011 1:18pm
Listing to Bestwick was difficult, he had no insight and just a casual knowledge of the sport. Some of the stuff he said just made me cringe.

I'm guessing, but I'd bet that he has never raced motocross at any level. So with Weege being the "Play by Play" guy and Emig being the expert color commentator , WTF does this guy bring to the table, and how is BMX even remotely similar to racing at Red Bud?

Some executive over at NBC Sports probably has lot of man-love for this guy, so that's why he is there. No wonder that network is dead last in all the ratings...
hellion
7/5/2011 1:43pm
As a hardcore fan I think that the NBC coverage sucks. I far prefer to watch the live motos on the web. I don't want to see 15 minutes of race action and have to sit through 45 minutes of commercials and crappy reporting. Jamie Bestwick knows nothing about moto or how it feels to be a racer. He should limit his comments to how pretty the flowers are that are lining the track. Emig must be sitting there and thinking how the hell am I gonna say something smart after this guy opens his trap. Skateboarding is not related to moto in any way, shape or form.
And, I have to say, as I often do, why does everyone want to grow the sport so much? NASCAR sucks completely and they are huge. They can have all their beer swilling, tee shirt and team jacket wearing, team cooler toting spectators who wouldn't know the first thing about racing themselves. Moto is the best sport in the world because it is a participation based sport. If you don't do it, I find it unlikely you'll take a major interest in it. In the end NBC will see this too. Racing is growing too expensive for it to be an everymans sport and without a growing participation you won't get a growing viewership.
peelout
7/5/2011 2:02pm
hellion wrote:
As a hardcore fan I think that the NBC coverage sucks. I far prefer to watch the live motos on the web. I don't want to...
As a hardcore fan I think that the NBC coverage sucks. I far prefer to watch the live motos on the web. I don't want to see 15 minutes of race action and have to sit through 45 minutes of commercials and crappy reporting. Jamie Bestwick knows nothing about moto or how it feels to be a racer. He should limit his comments to how pretty the flowers are that are lining the track. Emig must be sitting there and thinking how the hell am I gonna say something smart after this guy opens his trap. Skateboarding is not related to moto in any way, shape or form.
And, I have to say, as I often do, why does everyone want to grow the sport so much? NASCAR sucks completely and they are huge. They can have all their beer swilling, tee shirt and team jacket wearing, team cooler toting spectators who wouldn't know the first thing about racing themselves. Moto is the best sport in the world because it is a participation based sport. If you don't do it, I find it unlikely you'll take a major interest in it. In the end NBC will see this too. Racing is growing too expensive for it to be an everymans sport and without a growing participation you won't get a growing viewership.
Skateboarding is not related to moto in any way, shape or form.

what the f*ck does that have to do with anything? Jamie Bestwick doesn't skate...
Skinnly
7/5/2011 2:20pm
NBC thinks mx is similar to bmx,skateboarding,freestyle etc.Cant blame them for cross pollenating to get more viewers.
hellion
7/5/2011 2:35pm
hellion wrote:
As a hardcore fan I think that the NBC coverage sucks. I far prefer to watch the live motos on the web. I don't want to...
peelout wrote:
[b]Skateboarding is not related to moto in any way, shape or form. [/b] what the f*ck does that have to do with anything? Jamie Bestwick doesn't...
Skateboarding is not related to moto in any way, shape or form.

what the f*ck does that have to do with anything? Jamie Bestwick doesn't skate...
whatever dude, BMX last I knew was racing a bicycle. NBC calls all that jumping freestyle crap BMX and it has nothing to do with racing at all. Bestwick obviously knows nothing of racing. And this is not a knock on him, it's a knock on NBC for hiring him to do a job that makes him look like a tool.
rileymx
7/5/2011 3:06pm
why dont they open a window for those interviews and rockstar air time, that is really the purpose of the bmx thing...., and keep another window with the racing on, as they do it in the mxgp coverage......
i dont belive that they dont have the tecknology.....!!!!!!
Bojangles
7/6/2011 9:51am
希望 wrote:
The NBC coverage was shit. Where do I start. First, they didn't show reeds pass on Alessi which would have been nice since they battled for...
The NBC coverage was shit.

Where do I start. First, they didn't show reeds pass on Alessi which would have been nice since they battled for several laps. Also, I don't give a flying fuck about some kid on a BMX riding the Dew Tour nor do I give a rats ass about some race car driver attending the race. Finally, who the fuck's idea was it to put a Brit in the booth with Emig and Weege. There's absolutely no need to go importing announcers from the U.K. when there are plenty of capable people here who can do it. Besides, 3 announcers is 1 too many.

The NBC coverage was total crap. But I've given up on these broadcasts and hoping that they will ever appeal to the real hard core moto fan. That's not who the broadcasts are targeting.
Are you asian, or just trying to be one? Do you have a chinese script tattoo on your body that somebody told you looked cool? Give us more wisdom, you are obviously extremely intelligent. Plus you're asian, or at least pretending to be one. So, everybody cares about your opinion.
peelout
7/6/2011 10:14am Edited Date/Time 7/6/2011 10:14am
Bojangles wrote:
Are you asian, or just trying to be one? Do you have a chinese script tattoo on your body that somebody told you looked cool? Give...
Are you asian, or just trying to be one? Do you have a chinese script tattoo on your body that somebody told you looked cool? Give us more wisdom, you are obviously extremely intelligent. Plus you're asian, or at least pretending to be one. So, everybody cares about your opinion.
chick i'm dating has "Strength" in chinese lettering on her right wrist. toughest Old Fashioned i've ever had for sure, i've had to ask her to switch to the other hand
Cygnus
7/6/2011 10:39am
peelout wrote:
chick i'm dating has "Strength" in chinese lettering on her right wrist. toughest Old Fashioned i've ever had for sure, i've had to ask her to...
chick i'm dating has "Strength" in chinese lettering on her right wrist. toughest Old Fashioned i've ever had for sure, i've had to ask her to switch to the other hand
Har!
muGz.147
Fantasy
1792nd
7/6/2011 2:35pm
Go back to the late 80's and early 90's when you were lucky to see an abbreviated show a week or two after the event on ESPN or the new (at the time) ESPN 2. Or go back even farther when the only moto you got on TV was an occasional Wide World of Sport broadcast....etc. etc. etc.

I always laugh when I read people bitching about, picking apart, and totally taking for granted...the coverage we DO get nowadays. Some of you will bitch about a free meal before going back for seconds. Afugginmazing!
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4408th
7/6/2011 6:54pm
I swear to god you people would bitch about Victoria's Secret Naked Freestyle MX.
TDeath21
7/6/2011 10:23pm
It was an hour show, and the average moto is 35 minutes. I record every race. I start recording when the gate drops, and at the end I record the overall for the day and series point standings. Doing all of this, it took up 27 minutes on my DVD. So out of an hour show, 33 minutes was either commercials or random stuff that we don't care about. You would think that in an hour show and only a 35 minute moto that they could show all of the racing and still have time for commercials and whatever else they want to do. I guess I was wrong.

Post a reply to: NBC Coverage

The Latest