My view of Alex Martin's bike failure

Here's what the tv broadcast didn't show you,

|
Drfletcher
6/19/2016 5:54am
Bummed for both brothers but lets not act like no other bike has ever DNF someone.
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
6/19/2016 6:07am
Well at least Marvin pushed his bike all the way back last year when his DNF'd. Didn't Dungey one time too?

The Shop

6/19/2016 6:15am
Can't believe he walked straight past a perfectly good Honda too. Sure someone would have lent him some duct tape for numbers
LungButter
6/19/2016 6:30am

I don't think either of them pushed their bike up a hill like that.

I'd say he handled it pretty well, not to mention saved his energy to have a bad ass 2nd moto ride!
6/19/2016 6:41am
That was awful to see, I think he handled the situation very maturely. He's haining more and more respect from me each week
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
6/19/2016 6:45am

LungButter wrote:
I don't think either of them pushed their bike up a hill like that. I'd say he handled it pretty well, not to mention saved his...

I'd say he handled it pretty well, not to mention saved his energy to have a bad ass 2nd moto ride!
Wrong. Dungey had his RMZ250 quite before the leap at Red Bud and he pushed it up the water truck path and the crowd went nuts. He threw his helmet, goggles, and gloves into the crowd and I had my hand on the helmet for a millisecond.
Trav138
6/19/2016 6:46am
Myke wrote:
Well at least Marvin pushed his bike all the way back last year when his DNF'd. Didn't Dungey one time too?
Dumb
DC
6/19/2016 6:46am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2016 6:47am
Gang, I walked up that hill a half-dozen times over the past few days, It would have been hard to push his bike out even if he hand't just done thirty minutes on an extremely rough track. Alex probably would have won the overall had his bike not expired in that first moto... Tough break for both Martins yesterday.

Good video of an unfortunate moment.

DC
ga_pike
6/19/2016 6:46am
I've been an Alex Martin fan since he rode for Eleven 10. But I was always taught to "finish", no matter what... that meant pushing my bike to the finish line and waiting for the checkered flag to push it across.

Now, if he is going to finish out of the points, I completely understand not taking the flag, but simply leaving the bike there and walking away leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's seems like this generation of racers do this more and more.

I'm not a huge fan of Ryan Hughes, but I absolutely respect him for this:

Would we expect to see one of today's stars finish a race with a twisted be like Magoo back in the day?

Saving energy for the 2nd moto makes a little sense and I can follow that logic. But if that's the case, sit down, wait for the team to bring the mule to tow the bike and catch a ride.

mxjeff575
6/19/2016 7:09am
ga_pike wrote:
I've been an Alex Martin fan since he rode for Eleven 10. But I was always taught to "finish", no matter what... that meant pushing my...
I've been an Alex Martin fan since he rode for Eleven 10. But I was always taught to "finish", no matter what... that meant pushing my bike to the finish line and waiting for the checkered flag to push it across.

Now, if he is going to finish out of the points, I completely understand not taking the flag, but simply leaving the bike there and walking away leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's seems like this generation of racers do this more and more.

Would we expect to see one of today's stars finish a race with a twisted be like Magoo back in the day?

Saving energy for the 2nd moto makes a little sense and I can follow that logic. But if that's the case, sit down, wait for the team to bring the mule to tow the bike and catch a ride.

And Alex was trying to finish by nursing it along. It would have been impossible to push the bike 2 or so more laps around the entire track. If i remember correctly, Hughes lost his chain with only a corner or two before the finish. I'm sure Alex would have also pushed his bike across the finish in that scenario.
Such a bummer for Alex.
Premix
6/19/2016 7:13am
Any of you asshats commenting ever been to high point? That hill is rediciously steep. No way he's pushing that up especually for a guy his size. (Insert little man jokes)
ga_pike
6/19/2016 7:14am
ga_pike wrote:
I've been an Alex Martin fan since he rode for Eleven 10. But I was always taught to "finish", no matter what... that meant pushing my...

mxjeff575 wrote:
And Alex was trying to finish by nursing it along. It would have been impossible to push the bike 2 or so more laps around the...
And Alex was trying to finish by nursing it along. It would have been impossible to push the bike 2 or so more laps around the entire track. If i remember correctly, Hughes lost his chain with only a corner or two before the finish. I'm sure Alex would have also pushed his bike across the finish in that scenario.
Such a bummer for Alex.
He didn't have to push it 2 laps to finish, he could have finished 2 laps down. But finishing out of the points either way, it does make sense to not worry about finishing.

I still don't like it that he put the bike down and walked away... but I do understand the emotions he was going through. He will need some help, but he is still in the hunt and I'm pulling for him.
Starcrossed
6/19/2016 7:16am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2016 7:20am
Plus it probably would have taken up all the time between 250 motos to push that YZ two laps around. He would have been in the way of the 450s during their second moto also, nevermind no time for a snack, and being completely exhausted for moto 2. Laughing
ga_pike
6/19/2016 7:19am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2016 7:20am

Actually, I grew up in Morgantown and raced High Point quite often. I also pushed my bike there, in the deep mud up from out of the bottom where it siezed one Memorial Day weekend. Did the same at Steel City, Loretta Lynn's, and other tracks on more than one occasion... out of breath, crying, pouting, mad, upset... all of the above.

So yeah... I know all about those hills.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
6/19/2016 7:21am
Myke wrote:
That hill is seriously steep.

Yes, I've seen Dungey push a bike (or two) back to the pits, but I don't blame Alex for not tackling that hill.
Starcrossed
6/19/2016 7:23am
Don't they have tools under the seat for a reason? He could have removed the chain if necessary.
mx918
6/19/2016 7:25am

At that point there were no points to gain for wasting energy pushing the bike.

He never threw his helmet or goggles down in frustration either. Respect
ga_pike
6/19/2016 7:26am
Why does everyone think he had to push 2 more laps?

You push to the finish line and sit and wait until the checkers are thrown and then push across. That gets a finishing spot instead if a DNF.

But with the scoring system as it is, it doesn't matter because you don't get points outside 20th. If you got points for any finish other than a DNF, you might see this more often.
dboivin
6/19/2016 7:31am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2016 7:35am

LungButter wrote:
I don't think either of them pushed their bike up a hill like that. I'd say he handled it pretty well, not to mention saved his...

MxKing809 wrote:
Wrong. Dungey had his RMZ250 quite before the leap at Red Bud and he pushed it up the water truck path and the crowd went nuts...
Wrong. Dungey had his RMZ250 quite before the leap at Red Bud and he pushed it up the water truck path and the crowd went nuts. He threw his helmet, goggles, and gloves into the crowd and I had my hand on the helmet for a millisecond.
you ain't pushing it up that hill. especially 29 minutes into a moto. raced there many times...f'ck that hill. lmao. its a lot steeper than all the keyboard warriors think it is.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
6/19/2016 7:34am
ga_pike wrote:
Why does everyone think he had to push 2 more laps? You push to the finish line and sit and wait until the checkers are thrown...
Why does everyone think he had to push 2 more laps?

You push to the finish line and sit and wait until the checkers are thrown and then push across. That gets a finishing spot instead if a DNF.

But with the scoring system as it is, it doesn't matter because you don't get points outside 20th. If you got points for any finish other than a DNF, you might see this more often.
No one outside the top 20 gets points. For positions 21-40, all it does is change your overall finish.

DNFs do not go down on your permanent record. Wink
early
Fantasy
2212th
6/19/2016 7:38am
Some of you guys are so tough, I bet you pushed your bike to school, uphill, both ways, in the snow.
6/19/2016 7:42am
You know some of you guys would have complained if he did push the bike back to the pits, you would say "what an idiot, he should have left the bike and saved his energy for moto 2"
newmann
6/19/2016 7:44am
Push a bike up a massive hill and then to the finish in order to finish a lap or two down and zero points? That makes no sense at all. He didn't throw his bike down, jump up and down on it or throw his helmet at it. He did it right.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
6/19/2016 7:51am
newmann wrote:
Push a bike up a massive hill and then to the finish in order to finish a lap or two down and zero points? That makes...
Push a bike up a massive hill and then to the finish in order to finish a lap or two down and zero points? That makes no sense at all. He didn't throw his bike down, jump up and down on it or throw his helmet at it. He did it right.
Yep. "Don't disrespect the bike."
6/19/2016 8:01am
Are all you old fat dumbasses really arguing about him pushing his bike after a 30 minute moto?? You guys are senseless. Go ride your dirt bike and get off the couch
stantdm
6/19/2016 8:05am
Pushing his bike back to the pits would be a total waste of energy. He has people who come and get the bike. Whomever used the term Asshats to describe you people who think he should have waited at the finish line after pushing it up that hill is right.
Calihusky
6/19/2016 8:16am
I can just see the headline now "Alex Martin gets landed on while pushing his seized bike around the track to satisfy people on VitalMx."
pamoto
6/19/2016 8:18am
stantdm wrote:
Pushing his bike back to the pits would be a total waste of energy. He has people who come and get the bike. Whomever used the...
Pushing his bike back to the pits would be a total waste of energy. He has people who come and get the bike. Whomever used the term Asshats to describe you people who think he should have waited at the finish line after pushing it up that hill is right.
Exactly, Time and Energy. Time-The quicker he got the crews attention the quicker they can retrieve it and get to work on it. Not much time between motos and this was near the end of moto 1. I walked back to the pits to watch them swap motors/radiators. Four guys working on it. Energy- Alex had a second moto to get ready for.

Post a reply to: My view of Alex Martin's bike failure

The Latest